• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014 edited
    Game of Thrones Season 4

What a season! The battle of the north wall in episode 9 is one of the most impressive scenes I've ever seen from a TV show, particularly the one-shot pan through the castle.

But they killed [spoiler]The Hound[/spoiler]. angry

The music was crap. If only this had gone to Giacchino.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    Tempted I am to look at spoiler.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It says "Kenny".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Those bastards.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It says "Kenny".

He'll be back.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. "The Secret Life of the Cat" (2013 BBC documentary)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hVOUB_awSk

Hour long documentary where highly accurate GPS devices as well as cameras are put on cats and we find out what they are up to.

I learned some things about cat behaviors.

There's a half-hour follow up called "Little Cat Diaries" which I have just started:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3hVj-_DXYU

EDIT:
    I just got to see my first "hermaphrodite" cat. That's it -- I've seen it all now!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014 edited
    I'm watching Rick Stein's Spain, a food show on BBC 2, one scene was put to music from Miklos Rozsa's El-Cid, nothing strange about that in these type of programs but then Rick says 'this music by Miklos Rozsa means so much to me...'

I now have respect for Rick beyond his cooking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014
    Ha! I just saw this too.

I want some cidre. Poured like that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014
    Cider I up landlord drink

ye olde Somerset saying.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2014 edited
    The brilliant Jerry Sadowitz is unerringly accurate in 1987....

http://vimeo.com/52162279

I really miss Sadowitz, like a Frankie Boyle on steroids he got himself banned from every TV station going.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2014
    He even got himself banned from the John Barry discussion group!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    He even got himself banned from the John Barry discussion group!

I know! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Blonde Ice (1948). Leslie Brooks played a classic black widow role that is not to be missed if you like Film Noir. This film is in public domain and is free to watch on the internet. The lead actor Robert Paige I best remember in the film Son of Dracula, a somewhat under rated Universal horror film.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014 edited
    A wonderful "oops" moment from Sammy Davis Jnr...

1964 Film Score Oscars

A very young looking Andre Previn and Elmer Bernstein appear in this.

Thanks to Montana Dave at FSM for this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014
    CHEESE-A-RAMA

Tacky 1980's sci-fi show intros. Not for the faint of heart.

flash Warning: flash contains exceptionally bad theme tunes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Crikey! THAT takes me back!
    I've only ever seen two or three of these (and I am a little disturbed that I actually recognise Ben Burtt's Star Wars blaster sound effects in the Matthew Star intro). I'm a little puzzled over Automan, though: it looks REALY familiar, but I can't tell whether I have a false sense of deja vu simply due to the truly embarassing TRON rip-off.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014 edited
    Most of them were not familiar to me at all. Either they weren't shown in the UK or I missed them ( small mercies and all that wink ), the only two that I saw were Manimal and The Highwayman ( so that's what happened to Flash Gordon ), both were exceptionally appalling programs even back then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    The Highwayman ( so that's what happened to Flash Gordon )

Exactly the reason I watched one episode (and no more. It REALLY was very bad).
    I also seem to remember an extremely annoyingly loud, "funny" Australian sidekick in that series.
    Ugh.
  2. Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes for first time. What a big disappointing film that is. More soap opera than anything else. And I was expecting the apes to be more life-like too.

And Patrick Doyle's score was completely anonymous right up until the last scene. Thank goodness it's available separately.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2014 edited
    It felt like a film 'going through the motions' just so that they could raise the franchise from the ashes (again). Plus, I can't stand Doyle's insipid score. (Or indeed most things he does.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2014
    I've seen it before but I watched most of it before going out last night and enjoyed it. I even thought the score was better than I remembered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And Patrick Doyle's score was completely anonymous right up until the last scene. Thank goodness it's available separately.

Well, his music mostly is like that lately so no surprises there wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed the film (though the next one is even better) and the score (the next one is not as good).
  3. I thought the film was great. (ROTPOTA.) Nice one to put alongside A Prophet (French prison drama movie). So much storytelling off glances and grunts. Strange to think people don't like this stuff when it's done well. (The only thing that lets it down is the mad corporate scientist arc -- hard to believe that virus would have been developed the way it is.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    I thought the film was great. (ROTPOTA.) Nice one to put alongside A Prophet (French prison drama movie)

biggrin

I will have to take your word on that. French films appeal to me about as much a paper cut. (Except for their music.)
  4. Ah, but you haven't seen A PROPHET. One of the only great genre films to come out of France in the last decade. See it -- you'll like it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. One of the only great genre films to come out of France?

I haven't seen it, but to be honest my experience with French action films of recent times, if I have the (dis)honour to watch them is quite awful!

Could you give me examples of *good* (not necessarily great) French genre films from recent times?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2014
    24: Live Another Day

It was OK I guess. I was expecting something a bit more spectacular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2014
    (Just to clarify - my last post was not an answer to Pawel's question.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2014
    Southall wrote
    24: Live Another Day

It was OK I guess. I was expecting something a bit more spectacular.

The problem was it was half the length of a regular season (a positive) but they only had half the budget of a regular season.

So nothing was different.