• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I really could do with seeing a lot less of acting midget Tom Cruise's intense acting face.

A little less of Matt Damon's TEETH wouldn't go amiss either.

biggrin

Oops. shame
    I mean smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013
    cheesy <Why is the "cheesy smile" icon so gummy?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013
    Thor wrote
    Matt Daaaaaaaamon.

FAG!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2013
    INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE

This was on TV last night, first time I'd seen it for many years and it's still a very enjoyable film and Elliot Goldenthal's score is just fantastic. What a sorely missed talent he is on the current film music scene.

Was Brad Pitt's touchy-feely-sensitive vampire the beginnings of that Twilight shit?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. To a certain extend, yes. But fact is, that the media industry looked for something to fill the gap left by the Harry Potter franchise. So Twilight got hyped beyond believe.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Captain Future wrote
    To a certain extend, yes. But fact is, that the media industry looked for something to fill the gap left by the Harry Potter franchise. So Twilight got hyped beyond believe.

Twilight started way before Harry Potter ended. I think The Hunger Games has been more of the Potter-void-filler, honestly.
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    To a certain extend, yes. But fact is, that the media industry looked for something to fill the gap left by the Harry Potter franchise. So Twilight got hyped beyond believe.

Twilight started way before Harry Potter ended. I think The Hunger Games has been more of the Potter-void-filler, honestly.

OK. You are certainly right concerning "Hunger Games". But if I remember correctly, "Twilight" wasn't big until HP was over. At least in Germany. Wait, the first time I heard about "Twilight" was in 2008. HP books were over then, the films were not. Many of my about-12-year old girl students would go on from HP to "Twilight" in the advent of the first film because there was some actor they adored.
  4. I'd say the dedicated Harry Potter fanbase (the ones who are really into the books, not just the movies) has very little overlap with Twilight. I'd probably say the same thing about The Hunger Games, though. There was a certain run of covers for the latter books that had a huge endorsement from Stephanie Meyer plastered over the top in bigger font than Suzanne Collins' name; unfortunately, that includes my copies, and it bugs me no end. It's like the publishers screaming "HEY FANGIRLS! DID YOU LIKE TWILIGHT? YOU'LL LIKE THIS TOO!!!" And the crossover fans spend all their energy on the Katniss-Peeta-Gale love triangle, rather than the parts of the story that are actually, you know, interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2013
    Now You See Me.

I wish hadn't of seen it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Erik Woods wrote
    Now You See Me.

-Erik-

That bad Erik?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hunger games? Hideous, both films.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Demetris wrote

slant

Why do you say that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Now You See Me.

-Erik-

That bad Erik?

Nice score though wink On CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

slant

Why do you say that?

Well if i was a love-hungry teenager with vivid fantasies i'd probably enjoy it, 15 years ago. Definitely not my cup of tea, at all and it also stinks "let's get some Twilight, throw into the mixer with Battle Royale, add a lot of sugar and make teens give us their moneys" all over.
  6. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

slant

Why do you say that?

Well if i was a love-hungry teenager with vivid fantasies i'd probably enjoy it, 15 years ago. Definitely not my cup of tea, at all and it also stinks "let's get some Twilight, throw into the mixer with Battle Royale, add a lot of sugar and make teens give us their moneys" all over.

It really isn't about the stupid love triangle. I know it isn't exactly Orwell or anything, but I think you aren't giving the dystopian/rebellion/social-commentary angle the credit it deserves. That's where the real focus and meat of the story is. And would people quit it with the Battle Royale comparisons already. angry For one thing, Collins didn't know about that when she wrote her novels and she still doesn't, having refused to read it after the similarities were pointed out to her for fear of being influenced by it. For another, the originality of a premise is far, far less important than how it's executed and handled, so I'd appreciate it if more focus was put on that.

Both films I think have done a remarkably decent job of bringing them to the screen. They're better adaptation jobs than quite a few of the Potter films, I'd say, and they honestly don't pander to the fangirls by extending the love triangle stuff or anything. That's another thing - don't hate the product because of its fanbase. Just because some Twilight people happen to read/watch these books/movies and skip over all the "boring" dystopian stuff to get to the love triangle, doesn't mean that you should dismiss it entirely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, she didn't know about Battle Royale. I've seen the film (first one, and extracts from the 2nd) and are definitely not my thing Ed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't see what all the fuss is about with these Hunger Games? I only managed to get through about an hour of the first film before giving up! But then I don't like Lord Of The Rings either, so what do I know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well teens tend to get very upset about the things they love wink
  7. Demetris wrote
    Yeah, she didn't know about Battle Royale. I've seen the film (first one, and extracts from the 2nd) and are definitely not my thing Ed.

That's fine, but it doesn't mean you have to call them "hideous!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well what should i call them ? 'cause to me they are.
  8. Demetris wrote
    Well what should i call them ? 'cause to me they are.

Just leave it at that! "Not my thing." There's plenty of stuff that I personally am not fond of (pretty much any romantic comedy, for starters) but that doesn't mean I proclaim them "hideous" as if it's FACT!!!! Something can still be well-made even if it doesn't appeal to you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But it is a fact. Where's Erik when you need him Goddamnit wink
  9. "Hunger Games" is science fiction for people who generally don't read or watch science fiction. For connoiseurs of the genre there is nothing new to be found in this franchise. It has all been covered decades ago.

Volker
  10. Captain Future wrote
    "Hunger Games" is science fiction for people who generally don't read or watch science fiction. For connoiseurs of the genre there is nothing new to be found in this franchise. It has all been covered decades ago.

There's nothing new in Star Wars either and that doesn't stop everyone going gaga over it. I tell you, originality is highly overrated.
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    "Hunger Games" is science fiction for people who generally don't read or watch science fiction. For connoiseurs of the genre there is nothing new to be found in this franchise. It has all been covered decades ago.

There's nothing new in Star Wars either and that doesn't stop everyone going gaga over it. I tell you, originality is highly overrated.

It is. A heritage of the late 19th century.
    I would venture that the success of STAR WARS had many reasons. The uniqueness and originality of the story was not one of them.
    On second thought: Science fiction in 1977 wasn't nearly as popular as it is today. STAR TREK in the 60s was a niche phenomenon, as were the pulp magazines in the 30s-50s. STAR WARS depends heavily on these pulp stories. STAR WARS made science fiction mainstream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2013 edited
    Now You See Me was hideous! FACT! And no one is going to tell me any different! That's my opinion. One of the worst movies I've seen. What a waste of talent! Great premise, turrible execution! Awful, awful screenplay. A total turd!

The score was cool although it seemed inappropriate in some places.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2013 edited
    If anyone were to say they thought Now You See Me is a 'clever' film with lots of surprising twists, that person is a retard. That, also, is a fact. An awful film indeed.
  12. Steven wrote
    If anyone were to say they thought Now You See Me is a 'clever' film with lots of surprising twists, that person is a retard. That, also, is a fact. An awful film indeed.

My son thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, he specifically asked for it on DVD for Christmas!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    Now You See Me was hideous! FACT! And no one is going to tell me any different! That's my opinion. One of the worst movies I've seen. What a waste of talent! Great premise, turrible execution! Awful, awful screenplay. A total turd!

Wow. I thought it was dumb, sure, but at least a fairly slick and enjoyable kind of dumb. Great cast, too. Certainly not worth of any "worst ever" lists. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's fucking terrible! I don't care who starred in it or how it looks. It's a Godawful film that thinks the audience is THAT dumb!

-Erik-