• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014
    Yeap, is it the one when after that she sees the trapped bee in the glass window and turns her mind over?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Finally splashed out for the 1973 documentary The World At War.
    It was pretty much the definitive word on WWII at the time,...and maybe still today.
    Very leisurely paced at 26 one-hour episodes, it offers a VERY in-depth view of all the circumstances and events in the years of and surrounding the second world war.

Two episodes in, and I don't think there is a single bit of footage that I have actually seen before (which is very impressive considering the amount of war documentaries on offer). And while of course the players, events and locations are mostly known to me, the pace of the documentary is such that a LOT of backgrond gets filled in (not in the least because at the time of filming many players were still alive. The interviews with (at the time junior) cabinet members are very insightful and fascinating.

Laurence Olivier is a wonderful narrator, and his lines are neither too sparse nor too dense.
    Carl Davis' score is best in the harrowing main titles.
    I'm not sure about the rest of the show: the music seems oddly ill-fitting at times. I need to see some more chapters to fully appreciate it, I think.

The only (very minor) quibble I have is that the DVD doesn't come with closed-captions or indeed any kind of subtitles. Luckily this is 1973 and one tends to speak rather above and beyond The Queen's English, so there's really no problem in following any of it, but the sound quality at times (especially in footage from 40-45) is such that it's a little hard to make out the details (e.g. all the words in a George Formby song).

All in all, a magnificent purchase. Very glad I took the leap!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014 edited
    I've seen this series three times now. I also watched some as an 11 year old but didn't appreciate it as much then. I think I would go as far as to say that it is the greatest documentary series ever made.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edge of Tomorrow

This is one of my favorite movie of this year, if not for a while. It has everything that I like. It's Sci-Fi. It's an action movie. It's GroundHog Day-redux (which is also an all-time favorite). It's a hero's journey. It's also a story about how a selfish guy came to care for someone else, through brave acts and romantic motivations (awesome!). It's also the first time I realize that Emily Blunt is incredibly attractive (aside from the her appearance in Charlie Wilson's War). Emily Blunt's character Rita, is a bad-ass, and, in the three major action beats where we see her kick-ass, the Edge of Tomorrow could have been a movie about how a girl who became the the Angel of Verdun. Overall, it's a much better movie than Oblivion, more gritty and thematically resonant. The sci-fi tech is there, but it's not the focus. Not It's also funnier, seeing Tom Cruise re-living moments while trying to do good. He was jerk who became a hero to save a girl and defeat the alien threat.

I actually enjoyed the music in this. Christophe Beck had a hard job of emulating John Powell's style, but he put in a great effort, punctuating the scenes with the appropriate amount of driving rhythms. Given how much of the emotional motivation was really kinda visual, (i.e. short montage showing Rita repeated dying, while Tom's character failing to save her, realizing that he's helpless) with the viewer having to see and recognize it, a melody would have taken it over the top. However, there should have been a "clearer" overarching melody. The cue "Find Me When You Wake Up" was really a stand out cue on the album for me, and the whole score should have gone that route.

For me, Edge of Tomorrow is such a shame . Good movie, good reviews, bad marketing, and lack of care from the public. I preordered the Blu-Ray release though. I hope Tom Cruise get to keep on making movies. They're always what I like to watch. Though I'm not entirely sure about Top Gun 2......
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I enjoyed it for the most part, but the last 20 or so minutes felt like I was watching a video game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    I enjoyed it for the most part, but the last 20 or so minutes felt like I was watching a video game.

Bad CG? How could it have been better? I would have preferred a brighter scenario....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a great film, and the last 20 minutes are a satisfying conclusion to a satisfying film. Shit score though. So in that sense, I agree and disagree with you both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Agree with you, lp. Loved the film! A very clever time travel romp (although there are always holes to be found in such movies).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Beck isn't a very good composer, truth to be told.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2014
    lp, i accidentally deleted your last comment, sorry man. Blame it in coffee-less mornings (where's my coffeeee)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    lp, i accidentally deleted your last comment, sorry man. Blame it in coffee-less mornings (where's my coffeeee)

OK, so I had a quick look and updated your admin priviliges, D. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote

I brought it back. No worries.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Bregt wrote
    Demetris wrote

LOL.
  1. lp wrote

Oh, I disagree. He's shown his quality on a few occasions. He just seems to be very much a workman who will deliver no more than a sufficient score if that's all he's asked to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    lp wrote

Oh, I disagree. He's shown his quality on a few occasions. He just seems to be very much a workman who will deliver no more than a sufficient score if that's all he's asked to do.

Absolutely. Beck has done some stunning work over the years, especially in the 90s when he was working in indie fare. His PHOEBE IN WONDERLAND is also a personal favourite of mine. It would terribly misguided to brush him off because of a few disappointing blockbusters in recent years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Demetris wrote

OH! PRAISE THE LORD! :jesus:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    lp wrote

i Agree with me, erm LP. Beck isn't really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014 edited
    You're always so black/white, D. Either you love it to no end or you think it sucks donkey pants! biggrin

Haven't there ever been composers where you've liked some, but perhaps not so much other things?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014
    You mean just like some of their work?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    You mean just like some of their work?

Yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Beck? Nah...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Beck? Nah...

But have you made any effort to check out a representative selection of his work to dismiss him entirely? Or are you basing it on just a few new scores?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014 edited
    Let's see, what i have heard:

Edge of Tomorrow (meh)
    Muppets Most Wanted (meh)
    Frozen (which is very good)

-doesn't help that he usually scores shitty films btw.

Runner runner (meh)
    r.i.p.d (meh)
    the muppets (nice, nothing special)
    the three shitty hangover films (double (meh))
    tower heist (meh)
    crazy stupid love (meh)
    red (awful)
    percy jackson and the olympians: the lighting thief (good in parts)
    the pink panther 2 (meh)
    the seeker: the dark is rising (don't remember anything)
    we are marshall (beautiful score)
    zoom (meh)
    garfield: tale of two kitties (meh)
    the pink panther (meh)
    the sentinel (had some good parts)
    elektra ((meh))

It's more like you say in reality, some stuff i liked, but don't go crazy over.
    There are composers whom i dislike entirely though, like Mark Mothersbourougherehough for instance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Pink Panther? The Pink Panther 2? uhm

My oh my but I've led a sheltered life.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I only know

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lighting Thief

which I find very enterntaining. My interest was kindles when I chanced upon the film on TV. That's always a good sign.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought RED was a wonderful film, and a great score too.

But regardless of that, you're only listing newer scores. I recommend you to check out F/X, BUFFY, UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN and especially PHOEBE IN WONDERLAND.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2014
    Red was wonderful film and great score? Man , you're weird! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2014
    Blade Runner

Boring, boring film.
  3. Ouch!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Steven wrote
    Blade Runner

Boring, boring film.

Yes but have you seen the sequel Runner Runner? Much better.