• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    I share Japanese studio Toho's feelings on the '98 Godzilla, and its reaction once the rights reverted to them.

YESSSS!!!!!!! Get the fuck out! punk ( maybe I will ask Bregt for a knock-out punch icon )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2014
    The Avengers

I think I might have to change my mind and call this not only my favourite Marvel film, but my favourite superhero film. It's a near-flawless piece of entertainment. (It perhaps spends a little bit too much time on the flying fortress, but it's a very very minor quibble, and its score could do with a bit more personality, a bit more of a serious quibble.)

The annoying thing is I put this on to show my housemate since she asked about watching it, and then preceded to spend half the time on her phone. (Who had also said earlier today "Science goes too far..." rolleyes , so you can imagine I was already a little irked to begin with...)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin

I do agree though. Best superhero film ever IM never HO!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2014 edited
    For those still up in the UK I recommend Bin Laden: Shoot To Kill on More 4 right now.

A drama-doc and better than Zero Dark Thirty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I found most of The Averagers to be rather dull until The Avengers Assemble <-- see what I did there... and save New York. The whole capture-the-bad-guy-only-for-it-to-be-part-of-the-bad-guys-master-plan-to-get-captured is one of the worst story telling devices ever. It's the same stupid thing that bothered me about Skyfall.

Superman is still my favourite superhero film of all time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I do love Superman The Movie. It has its flaws and my love may be coloured with nostalgia but the film has a big heart and nobody has owned the role better than Christopher Reeve, he really was special and a rather underrated actor IMO.

The score, need I say more amongst those of us that know it to be a biblical truth, is without any shadow or doubt THE best superhero score EVER written.

FACT! ...and when you get there DOUBLE FACT!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's only a couple of tracks I like in Hans Zimmer's MAN OF STEEL score but I do respect the fact he tried something different, any composer given the job of giving this reboot a symphonic score would have been on a hiding to nothing against Williams sublime result.
  1. I would have to say DARK KNIGHT tops the superhero genre for me. Can't say it's perfect, but there's a lot in it that pushes it above many others in the genre, including the two either side of it.

I saw BICYCLE THIEVES and SOME LIKE IT HOT for the first time yesterday. Two enshrined cinema classics. I found SLIH probably has dated a bit due to modern comic energy - it takes a bit long to get going, and while there are great laughs, they're not quite as thick and fast as I think I needed. (I compare to the recent Intouchables, or Grand Budapest Hotel.) BICYCLE THIEVES is obviously a film of major significance, and the fact that it doesn't feel significant is probably why -- nice, small stakes drama about an ordinary man's version of life and death. It's funny seeing it having seen many of the films that have tipped their hats to it (particularly A BETTER LIFE and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. OK, while we're at it, my favourite is Tim Burton's Batman. I love the story, the cast, the score and the production design. Exemplary!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    I saw BICYCLE THIEVES and SOME LIKE IT HOT for the first time yesterday. Two enshrined cinema classics. I found SLIH probably has dated a bit due to modern comic energy - it takes a bit long to get going, and while there are great laughs, they're not quite as thick and fast as I think I needed.

You didn't like it?
    Well, I guess...

....wait for it...

......NOBODY'S PERFECT!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro

I am not picky when it comes to this type of movie. I just want an evening's worth of decent entertainment and that's it.
    Parts of this movie are quite decent, yet others are not. In parts it feels like a parody. The main villain is badly developed, stereotyped, badly motivated. And that Electro fellow is one particually bold rip off from WATCHMEN.
    I do not like the score quite as much in context than I like it as an album because sometimes it adds to that parody feeling.
    Andrew Garfield sometimes remindes me of AOTC's Hayden Christensen.
    The movie is too long. 136 minutes? This type of story should not last any longer than 100 minutes, 120 if it's a really good one.
    Overall: Rather meh. EDIT: Not meh, bad and boring.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's written by a committee (and the same guys who keep fucking up franchises, ala Star Trek). Bloody awful film. I certainly won't be watching The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Electric Boogaloo again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro

I am not picky when it comes to this type of movie. I just want an evening's worth of decent entertainment and that's it.
    Parts of this movie are quite decent, yet others are not. In parts it feels like a parody. The main villain is badly developed, stereotyped, badly motivated. And that Electro fellow is one particually bold rip off from WATCHMEN.
    I do not like the score quite as much in context than I like it as an album because sometimes it adds to that parody feeling.
    Andrew Garfield sometimes remindes me of AOTC's Hayden Christensen.
    The movie is too long. 136 minutes? This type of story should not last any longer than 100 minutes, 120 if it's a really good one.
    Overall: Rather meh. EDIT: Not meh, bad and boring.

Volker

The movie and score are a mess, imo. The first one (score as well) were very, very good.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Godzilla (2014)

Re-watched it. Or rather listened to it again. Since you basically don't see anything I will from now on refer to this as a radioplay.

Now, I was never a fan of the Japanese Godzilla design. That hasn't changed. I prefer Emmerichs design by far. Come to think of it there is nothing that I do not prefer in Emmerich's film. Very, very much so.

What an embarressingly bad film this 2014 Godzilla is. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Now, I was never a fan of the Japanese Godzilla design.

shocked

Come to think of it there is nothing that I do not prefer in Emmerich's film. Very, very much so.

shocked shocked

shocked shocked shocked

You are a very, very strange man, Captain!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Godzilla (2014)

Re-watched it. Or rather listened to it again. Since you basically don't see anything I will from now on refer to this as a radioplay.

Now, I was never a fan of the Japanese Godzilla design. That hasn't changed. I prefer Emmerichs design by far. Come to think of it there is nothing that I do not prefer in Emmerich's film. Very, very much so.

I actually like both versions for different reasons.

Now, the old original GODZILLAs on the other hand, I couldn't be arsed with.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Now, I was never a fan of the Japanese Godzilla design. That hasn't changed. I prefer Emmerichs design by far. Come to think of it there is nothing that I do not prefer in Emmerich's film.

I'm afraid it is my solemn duty to Steven you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Amen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Godzilla (2014)

You're wrong. You may not know it, you may not believe it. But you're wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Now, I was never a fan of the Japanese Godzilla design. That hasn't changed. I prefer Emmerichs design by far. Come to think of it there is nothing that I do not prefer in Emmerich's film.

I'm afraid it is my solemn duty to Steven you.

yeah

....wait. uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2014 edited
    I thought this was VERY good. Check it out people....

http://io9.com/war-of-the-worlds-martia … 1642120489

Shame about the scoring though.

In fact, which piece of music would YOU put to this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2014
    Well, what else? John Williams' War of the Worlds, maybe The Ferry Scene or The Intersection Scene.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, my first thought was The Intersection Scene. I'm trying to be a bit more creative but haven't got there yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice! I can confirm, it works brilliantly!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, I just tried it with Temple Ruins and The Secret Revealed from Indy Jones and The Gristly Skunk. Worked bloody good too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ha! Of course. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote

You speak the truth!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This is such an odd opinion, I can't quite wrap my head around it. I can understand the script and its characters may not appeal to absolutely everyone, but what it gets right in terms of Monster Movie Making, it gets very right.

I'm at a loss on this one. I can't wait for Edwards' next film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2014 edited
    I'm 100% with Steven on this one...for once. Absolutely loved the film! Then again, I was a fan of Edwards already when he did MONSTERS. This guy knows how to make monster movies where the monsters are in focus and where there are small elements of alternative thinking, not just endless destructions. I don't really care about the human characters in this, and it's actually a relief that they're not that developped or are written out of the story early on. It's something different...in a good way.

If it had been up to me, I wouldn't even had had any humans in it at all.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm with Steven & Thor beer