• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014 edited
    Cripes you're right! I had to look this up having never watched it ( though I'm aware of the series ), how unfortunate looking like a silver spoon fed pickled pilchard blubbery retarded Mister Punch in tomato sauce and inflated with hot air.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014
    Southall wrote
    All Is Lost

Well, that was a barrel of laughs.

Thank God i didn't waste 2 hours of my life on it then? (was planning to watch it for some weird reason)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah, don't watch it and form your own opinion. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently it is a VERY good film...but quite downbeat.I'm not sure I'd want to watch it, but not for any other reason than it being so sombre.

It is being quite universally praised.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's well made, certainly. Some parts are just a little too implausible / rely on coincidence, but other than that I can't really fault it. Robert Redford is very good. I'm glad I watched it, but wouldn't want to watch it again - just too downbeat, to use Martijn's word (which is a perfect description).
  1. Timmer wrote
    Cripes you're right! I had to look this up having never watched it ( though I'm aware of the series ), how unfortunate looking like a silver spoon fed pickled pilchard blubbery retarded Mister Punch in tomato sauce and inflated with hot air.

I catched an interview with Ed Miliband on German radio recently and thought. "Argh, what an supremely arrogant asshole is that?" The outlook of having to choose between Miliband and Cameron seems rather depressing. Not that the state of things was any better around here.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014 edited
    I loved ALL IS LOST -- the photography, the mood, the acting, the sense of isolation (I have a particular attraction to 'isolation dramas', for some reason). And the music, although it's quite challenging on its own.

Then again, I'm an extremely serious man with absolutely no sense of humour, so it's up my alley.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Score was very good in context but I disliked the cd.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

I catched an interview with Ed Miliband on German radio recently and thought. "Argh, what an supremely arrogant asshole is that?" The outlook of having to choose between Miliband and Cameron seems rather depressing. Not that the state of things was any better around here.

Volker

Indeed! They're all rubbish.

Ed Miliband looks like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit, an uncanny resemblance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Looking for something to watch.

Edge of Tomorrow, yes or no?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2014
    Yes, a very solid sci fi film. I loved it. (For what my opinion is worth.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm enjoying Brian Cox's HUMAN UNIVERSE on BBC 2. Some very fine scoring by Philip Sheppard ( no, me neither ) too.
  3. It's definitely worth a look, particularly if films like Source Code and Run, Lola, Run are up your alley.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I'm enjoying Brian Cox's HUMAN UNIVERSE on BBC 2. Some very fine scoring by Philip Sheppard ( no, me neither ) too.

A search shows that D started a thread for this composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bring it on!

AVENGERS teaser trailer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Me too, really liking it. It's like Cosmos for grown-ups!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It's fantastic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Just finished watching the film. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought they handled the potential repetitiveness of the story really well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Please don´t laugh.

Pompeii.

Utter rubbish, storywise. Not that the story is so bad; it´s just that it´s made of every cliché possible. We´ve had each and every plot of this thing a hundred times before, and better. So forget about it from the start.

Doesn´t change the fact that the movie looks fantastic. The action is quite nice, and the actual event is - more or less - scientifically accurate up to a certain point when it just starts raining giant meteors. ^^ They also got the layout of Pompeii right - at least they say so in the Making Of - by taking over 30.000 photos from the ruins and matching their CG models to it. Costumes, however, are wrong and overblown.

The score is... well, you know how it is. I won´t start a discussion here. Totally not worth it. I liked it, but that´s just me, I presume.

Overall, not a waste of time if you´re looking for some FX feast Emmerich style. And male muscles. Which I didn´t. But the girls weren´t that bad-looking either. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just finished watching the film. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought they handled the potential repetitiveness of the story really well.

I'll never forget seeing Vantage Point - it's the perfect example of how not to do it.

Hearing the entire audience collectively groan - multiple times - was quite an experience!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2014
    I loved POMPEII -- a brilliant 'yarn', which Anderson excels at. Good score too, by Clinton Shorter.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It's fantastic!

-Erik-

A really good film. I just saw it on DVD and I enjoyed it thoroughly. For the first time in ages I premiered an English film in German dubbing, first because I was very tired and secondly because I just can't understand Cruise's native numblings. I have to say that I did not like Cruise's acting that much since long ago. Nice work on his part.
    You can tell about a dozen films that lend inspiration to the story but it nevertheless came across quite original and refreshing.
    Recommended!
    I hardly took any notice of Beck's score whatsoever, whatever that means.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2014 edited
    Agreed. Didn't like the score, but I thought the film was brilliant. You can say whatever you want about Tom Cruise, but he sure knows how to pick his sci fi projects! I don't think there's been anyone that I didn't like.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014
    I always find Cruise's acting too intense and forceful. There's a lot of his films I like but that is despite him, not because of him. Sometimes that intensity has worked in his favour, Collateral comes to mind as does Born On The 4th of July and War of The Worlds but on the whole I get a 'oh, I'd like to see that but he's in it' sort of feeling seeing his name top of the credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree he's not the best actor, but when he gets to "do his thing" (whatever that is), it's pretty good.

Regardless of that, however, I dig the sci fi films he's been in. ALL OF THEM! Meaning VANILLA SKY, MINORITY REPORT, WAR OF THE WORLDS, OBLIVION and EDGE OF TOMORROW.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. It's funny, in Edge of Tomorrow the longer the film went on the less I liked Cruise's character. I liked him more when he was more the vulnerable soldier at the prospect of being sent to the front than when he was the hardened action hero.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014 edited
    I also thought he was great in Interview With The Vampire.

( btw I haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Best film I've seen this year. Everything is handled exceptionally well. Solid, simple story, great structure, good characters, incredible CGI and another show-stealing performance by Andy Serkis. I tip my hat to the makes of this film, they knew what they were doing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Best film I've seen this year. Everything is handled exceptionally well. Solid, simple story, great structure, good characters, incredible CGI and another show-stealing performance by Andy Serkis. I tip my hat to the makes of this film, they knew what they were doing.

I agree with you 100%

( people that say 110% or 1000'000% should be killed by murder )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote

Good film, on the same level as the first of the reboot series, more or less. Didn't care much for the score, though, but that's no surprise given my relationship to MG in general.

However, the greatest thing about this new POTA series is IMO the brief short films that were produced as a bridge between the first and second. Have you seen those? They subscribe to a more arthouse-type aesthetic that I wish had been used on the films as well, to make them even better than what they are.
    I am extremely serious.