• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014
    No, I haven't seen those short films, Thor. Please tell me more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Check it out:

http://www.thewrap.com/dawn-of-the-plan … se-videos/
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice one beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Thanks, Thor, I'll have a look at that as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014 edited
    Saw Interstellar last night and it has plenty of pros and cons. It's an epic spectacle, no doubt, and never boring despite the ridiculous length. The set-pieces really stand out.
    But the last third is an absolute mess - so many nonsensical ideas that get thrown around and interwoven as if its all going to make some sense. But it never does and there are a spate of downright silly scenes down the stretch that really detract from the overall affect.
    McConaughey is very good in the lead but Hathaway is badly miscast. And Michael Caine is absolutely awful!

The standout feature of the film however is definitely Zimmer's score. It's rarer than ever these days to hear a composer straining for something new and to create a score that doesn't sound like anything they've done before. That's exactly what Zimmer's done here and two huge set-pieces about two thirds of the way into the film are just extraordinary - easily the best scored scenes of Zimmer's career outside of 'Journey to the Line'. The pounding hypnotic refrain here accompanied by an organ effect that builds and builds with the suspense feels like a ramped up Tubular Bells crossed with Morricone. It's spine-tingling stuff. Can't wait to hear it all again on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014
    How come everyone is getting to see this already? I have a press screening on Tuesday. Guess we're later than other countries on this one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, that sounds fantastic (regarding the music). Very much looking forward to it. The film is releasd here next Wednesday.

Thor wrote
    How come everyone is getting to see this already? I have a press screening on Tuesday. Guess we're later than other countries on this one.

Usually you are the one who sees every film in advance. I see it hurts you. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For Odin!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Life Story (episode 2)

Amazing. Every year a new show like this comes along from the BBC and every year I wonder how on earth they can show anything they haven't shown before. And every year, they do. The octopus with the coconut shell, the Australian bird laying out his display of blue plastic, the extraordinary close-up footage of the cheetah kill. I wondered how on earth they had managed to film the latter and read a story today that explained it - the cameraman spent so much time with the cheetahs' mother and the cubs when they were young, just so he could gain their trust enough in order to film precisely that scene.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Life Story (episode 2)

Amazing. Every year a new show like this comes along from the BBC and every year I wonder how on earth they can show anything they haven't shown before. And every year, they do. The octopus with the coconut shell, the Australian bird laying out his display of blue plastic, the extraordinary close-up footage of the cheetah kill. I wondered how on earth they had managed to film the latter and read a story today that explained it - the cameraman spent so much time with the cheetahs' mother and the cubs when they were young, just so he could gain their trust enough in order to film precisely that scene.

AWESOME!

^
    Used in its truest sense.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2014 edited
    WATERLOO ( 1970 )

It's on BBC 2 now. This must have had one of the largest number of extras ever seen in film, no cgi here just AWESOME spectacle. There's still 50 minutes left if anyone here wants to watch the astounding cinematography of this film.

The very fine score is by Nino Rota.
  2. The score's by ABBA?

Taking my coat ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2014
    Timmer wrote
    WATERLOO ( 1970 )

It's on BBC 2 now. This must have had one of the largest number of extras ever seen in film, no cgi here just AWESOME spectacle. There's still 50 minutes left if anyone here wants to watch the astounding cinematography of this film.

The very fine score is by Nino Rota.

Yeah, I always loved this movie.
    Generally it gets quite a bad rep, but I have no clue why! It's enthralling!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2014
    From wiki...

The film was the fifth most popular "reserve ticket" movie at the British box office in 1971.[6] However it failed to recoup its cost. This, in part, led director Stanley Kubrick to abandon a film he was preparing on Napoleon.
  3. I should watch it again (it's been 15 years). But isn't it... a little boring? A touch of Gettysburg syndrome? The scale is great and battles superb, but otherwise it's men in costumes standing around acting as though history knew how important it was at the time. It heads towards an end we all know is coming, and so manages to feel a bit undramatic along the way. I daresay the international cast, the odd bit of dubbing, and Sergei Bondarchuk's ear for a good English line reading may have all chipped away at it too.

Kubrick's script at least has that aspect of Napoleon being perpetually undercut by his wife's infidelities.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014
    INTERSTELLAR....

Wow, great film. Although there are a few minor warts that I think should have been solved differently -- has to do with some dialogue and the fact that Nolan always tries to tie everything together. I had wanted more mystery and unanswered question, 2001-style. Instead, it was closer to SOLARIS.

Zimmer's music is absolutely fantastic. A cross between Glass/KOYANISQUATSI, Björn Isfält's THE LIONHEART BROTHERS and Morricone's MISSION TO MARS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2014
    Lost

I'm rewatching it because I need something to fill the void (currently at about a quarter way through season 2). Lord above this is beyond stupid, more so than I remember it...but I still love it. And Kate.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2014
    Surely there is something better? I can't remember where I got to with Lost, I erm..."lost" interest, it ended up annoying me and boring me. Different strokes and all that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It was great for the first few seasons, then I realized they would never ever be able to pull it together, and this was not 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY -- it was a show set for narrative coherence. When I realized this, I continued watching, but being well aware they would never pull it off. Which of course they didn't. So that moment was a bit of a downer for me. Still entertaining, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Under The Skin is a great cure for insomnia. The score was bat shit crazy and annoying as all hell.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Under The Skin is a great cure for insomnia. The score was bat shit crazy and annoying as all hell.

-Erik-

The film is fantastic, and the score is spectacular in context. However, I'm not sure I would enjoy it on album. But I had a feeling this was not for you, Erik. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Even as a "work of art" I didn't find it all that appealing! There were some pretty special moments visually but most of all I found the cinematography to be rather bland and boring to look at. Especially the wide angle shot from inside the car that they continued to cut to. It looked great the first couple of times but then got increasingly annoying every time they cut to it.

And the music... man, ever since I saw that 4 minute Levi featurette on the creation of the score I've hated it! I can't stand her pretentious stance on film music and her music, minus one scene (the opening shot) was grating and called unfavourable attention to itself. I usually enjoy these atonal type scores but not this one.

I will give credit thought to Glazer for his direction of Scarlett Johansson and Johannson's performance. This film made her look and feel like and every day woman... if that makes any sense. She's still drop dead gorgeous but not in that glamourous, glossy Hollywood way that we've all seen her throughout her career. I think she's making some daring and career defining decisions right now and I applaud her for that.

But overall, as a full filmic experience, I thought Under The Skin was an utter disappointment.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Fair enough. I think we come from slightly different backgrounds in this case, which will inevitably influence our evaluation of a film like this. I think that's also one of the reasons why it's such a divisive film, although the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I will now rank my experience of the last few films mentioned in this thread:

Under the Skin
    > interstellar
    > first few episodes of LOST I saw before I remembered I only had so much time on earth
    > Prometheus (it's thor, he was thinking about it wink )

Although to be fair Prometheus has the most compelling created visual universe of the bottom 3.

And Gravity and 2001 beat the lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    first few episodes of LOST I saw before I remembered I only had so much time on earth

biggrin
  5. Unlike the characters, I had a choice about being in Purgatory. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Any views on Interstellar? Open question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Any views on Interstellar? Open question.

Any more views, you mean?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. See it for yourself. The things you like and the things you don't like -- both of these things I think I can explain.