• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. A good thing it's just one cue then (because the melody is dissimilar and when it's used in other parts of the score it doesn't sound like The Edge at all). And a good thing the score has tons of other strong material. Hey, originality is overrated anyways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014
    I don't see the issue with its similarities to The Edge either. It sounds good, good enough to stand up on its own rights, so who cares!? (Apart from one Canadian.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014
    Guardians of the Galaxy

It suffers from a few generacisms (the McGuffin orb, forgetable bad buy, big final battle in or above a city), but it positively smashes through them with solid characters and wonderfully irreverent humour (plus some catchy tunes).

And Chris Pratt, Lord above. love
  2. Remember Me

BBC's three-part drama/thriller directed by Ashley Pearce and starring Michael Palin (in a serious role). The first episode was on TV this evening and it was quite a creepy show.

Anyone in the UK who missed it tonight, I recommend you catch up with it on iPlayer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I don't see the issue with its similarities to The Edge either. It sounds good, good enough to stand up on its own rights, so who cares!? (Apart from one Canadian.)

Because it's a plague in Hollywood and keeps composers from being truly creative and original.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't be so dramatic! I can't stand drama!

fireworks fireworks

stopwar

suicide

fireworks fireworks
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Because it's a plague in Hollywood and keeps composers from being truly creative and original.

-Erik-

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Remember Me

BBC's three-part drama/thriller directed by Ashley Pearce and starring Michael Palin (in a serious role). The first episode was on TV this evening and it was quite a creepy show.

Anyone in the UK who missed it tonight, I recommend you catch up with it on iPlayer.

Ah, I wanted to watch this but forgot it was on. Downloading from iPlayer now, thanks for the reminder!
  3. Did anyone in the UK catch "Tomorrow's Worlds: the Unearthly History of Science Fiction" on BBC2 at the weekend?

Fronted by historian Dominic Sandbrook, it covers how cinema, TV and literature have explored science fiction (but on the basis of the opening episode, "Space", it's more about the first two rather than the third medium). Covering everything from Flash Gordon (the Buster Crabbe version), Dune (the book), and Star Trek (TOS) to Star Wars and Avatar, it was interesting to hear what original music they had featured on the show. It started off well with a good representation of Williams' various themes from the three original Star Wars movies but it then degenerated to generic scoring with no more original music from the shows featured (as far as I could tell) except for a rendition of Stu Phillips' Battlestar Galactica theme.

It was embarrassingly obvious though that the programme makers just tagged on a few seconds about Interstellar on at the end of the programme to make it seem up-to-date.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Whilst sitting through the movie double-header at the weekend I saw several trailers for upcoming movies, one of which was Paddington.

What they have done with this loveable little bear in this film is an abomination.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It looks awful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. It does. I'd like to make a traditionally animated crossover film with Paddington and Winnie Pooh.

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http … CCAQrQMwAA
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. On second thought - maybe not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014 edited
    Jurassic World trailer:

http://youtu.be/RFinNxS5KN4

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. This looks like a Hunger Games film. I didn't get any sense of awe , which is rather what Jurassic Park is all about. And Chris Pratt looked far more serious than his trademark irreverent humour. And there seems to be an annoying kid. I hope a second trailer might give us a different perspective, as is sometimes the case.
  7. I'm assuming that the annoying kid is going to be one of the early casualties in the film.

The trailer make the film just look like another people-in-peril sort of a film. I suppose that this one can't have the same impact as the original film. But I question the need for there to be a genetically engineered new dinosaur when they seem to have a lot of "natural" types. Are these natural dinosaurs just not enough for the park?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014
    That said, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's never been a really good Jurassic Park film. Some great individual scenes and memorable imagery (in the Spielberg ones) of course, truly deserving of their place in cinema history, but very flawed films overall. That doesn't mean I don't love them though, largely for the reasons I described. (And the music of course.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But I question the need for there to be a genetically engineered new dinosaur when they seem to have a lot of "natural" types. Are these natural dinosaurs just not enough for the park?

It does smack of a focus group. Hopefully that's an unfair determination.
  8. Anyone else just thought of JAWS 3D?

Anyway, I liked the piano rendition of Williams' theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It has a giant, GIANT Mosasaur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    They're bobbing along a diplodocus.
    There's a shark being fed to a liopleurodon.

I'm going to be VERY happy.

(But yeah, the only time I felt the silly grin -which I didn't even notice I had on until it slid- slid off my face when I heard the words "genetically modified". Groannnnn. With Alan all the way. Apparently proper dinosaurs aren't 'awesome' enough now?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote

I don't understand why people are going ga-ga over the piano theme? There's always been a piano rendition of the theme. Williams wrote one for the first film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    It has a giant, GIANT Mosasaur.

It's too big for a mosasaurus (not that details like that bother me wink ), but judging by the teeth you're right: it's a mosasaur type. Not a liopleurodon. (Sadly. I LOVE those monsters!)

EDIT: I think it may actually be an (artist's rendition) of a kronosaur , which would make sense: these could grow as large as Megalodon.

And as Kronosaur is a pliosaurus, as is Liopleurodon, I WIN!
    bhangra

Ahem.
    Anyway.
    shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I don't understand why people are going ga-ga over the piano theme? There's always been a piano rendition of the theme. Williams wrote one for the first film.

-Erik-

I didn't say it was anything new. I just like how this version was applied in this trailer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Meh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I liked it. Simple and effective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's Williams.
    Williams is NEVER "meh". angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The whole trailer was meh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It had Williams! It had dinosaurs! shocked
    You are a mad person!
  10. dino

popcorn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    dino

cat cat cat

Three cats waiting with hungry expectation for the fish head to fall. Well, surely that pathetic icon can't be a Dinosaur?