• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    I've heard he'll be scoring it with a celeste and a soft pillow.

Ah! A Thunderer's approach! How apt!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go and pour myself a rather large, stiff drink.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    punk YES FUCKING PLEASE! YES. FUCKING. PLEASE!!!!!! punk

...and what bloody refreshing trailer music! Very Ligeti like.

FUCKING BUMPED!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    confused

Why? We were still discussing it!
    (Not that you can ever have enough Godzilla. Obviously.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It had to be done. It's Godzilla.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I submit in happiness.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I approve! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Desplat on Gozilla? fucking hell if that happens! But it screams Jablo all over, sad truth...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Desplat has already been hired, hasn't he?

Of course, that's not a guarantee that his music ends up in the final cut. But from the look of it, it looks like they're trying "something a little different".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is amazing news to me!
  1. Yes, I am looking very forward to that score, too.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Desplat on Gozilla? fucking hell if that happens! But it screams Jablo all over, sad truth...

Yeah, if the suits get scared the first thing ditched will be the score.

Let's hope not. I look forward to Desplat though my personal choice ( it's not so I'll have to live with it ) would have been Wojciech Kilar or Elliot Goldenthal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You know that if he gets off the project for being too orchestral or too thematic (!) the one who will be brought in asap will be Jablo freezing

Just like they rejected Federico Jusid's score for 300 the sequel to get....Junk XL!!

I mean, listen to Jusid's music: https://vimeo.com/51667307 need i say more?
  2. Desplat has a proven track record with successful blockbusters so I don't think he'll be as vulnerable as Federico Jusid in the producers' eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True, you said it well: to the producers eyes, definitely not ears; 'cause they've proven long, especially since Yared's Troy, that they don't possess a couple of those.
  3. Demetris wrote
    True, you said it well: to the producers eyes, definitely not ears; 'cause they've proven long, especially since Yared's Troy, that they don't possess a couple of those.

biggrin

To the producers' piggybanks, may be more accurate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sad but true smile
  4. Demetris wrote

Tell me you're not talking about the trailer music. Because it's a challenging listen, I give you that, but it is one of the masterworks of 20th century music, that piece. Not working of being linked in a sentence to Jablo. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not talking about trailer music, at all.
  5. Jablonsky channeling Ligety ... doesn't compute ... doesn't compute ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am talking about the movie style, being scored by Jablonsky (possibly) because he does score movies like this, if the producers want to make money and want the trademarked RC sound. What's so difficult to understand? i made no parallels to the trailer music whatsoever. At all.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Jablonsky channeling Ligety ... doesn't compute ... doesn't compute ...

Reminds me of a great quote from Clemmensen's review of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: "Would Jablonsky know the difference between a Viennese waltz and a German waltz if he had Johann Strauss slapping him on one side of the face and Richard Wagner on the other?" biggrin

Insert my usual stock comment about how Jablonsky is given a bad rap and is actually a very talented composer if only people would let him spread his wings etc. etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Insert my usual stock comment about how Jablonsky is given a bad rap and is actually a very talented
    composer if only people would let him spread his wings etc. etc.

And you know that because....? (are you a medium?)
  7. Demetris wrote
    I am not talking about trailer music, at all.

Your sentence has been commuted based on good behaviour. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Insert my usual stock comment about how Jablonsky is given a bad rap and is actually a very talented
    composer if only people would let him spread his wings etc. etc.

And you know that because....? (are you a medium?)

One word: Steamboy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    One score: steamboy. One score doesn't make anyone a potential great composer. Others are struggling to be heard and have already written MANY great scores so far, but don't have the luck of being under a powerful wing, in the spotlight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yet he continues to work on films that don't allow him to stretch his wings. I get that composers need to get paid but what about some artistic integrity. If he's so much better than the trash he keep spewing out then why is he not working with people who will allow him to be creative instead of working with people who constantly keep him pinned down... unless Steamboy was a fluke and stuff like Transformers and Battleship is the best he can do.

But then again, I keep forgetting that this is a business and the composer does what he is told. More bass line less theme, please!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Just because it's one score doesn't mean the composer isn't talented. And there have been moments here and there where he's flashed that talent again: Gears of War 2, Your Highness. Hell, even if he just kept on writing scores like Transformers and D-War, that are really derivative but are still fun, memorable and thematic, I'd be happy.

Are there other composers worthy of attention who aren't getting any? Hell yes. But I see much more value in looking for the good in what we have than moan and groan over what we don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Are there other composers worthy of attention who aren't getting any? Hell yes. But I see much more value in looking for the good in what we have than moan and groan over what we don't.

See, you wouldn't HAVE to search for the good if we got the "what we don't get" wink It would be all good... like good old 1982 or 1989 or 2004.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Just because it's one score doesn't mean the composer isn't talented. And there have been moments here and there where he's flashed that talent again [...] I see much more value in looking for the good in what we have than moan and groan over what we don't.

yeah
    What Edmund said.

It's a wildly hypothetical discussion anyway: EVEN if Desplat WOULD get replaced, and IF Jablonsky WOULD get the job, and IF he'd deliver goodies as thunderous as Transformers, I'd be a happy camper.
    But we're talking serious quantum-composing here...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The only thing we can hope for is another situation like RISE OF THE GUARDIANS where the director pretty much gave Desplat free rein to write whatever he wanted and to be as creative as possible.

-Erik-