• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I like them all more or less. TMP right through DARKNESS.

Me too. Except most of the ones that came after 6.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I believe especially Insurrection is an underrated film. I like STAR TREK most when it comes close to Roddeberry's original ideas and Insurraction is big tribute to GR. Also I like the score better than First Contact that, beyond the main theme, never did much for me.

I like JJs starwarsy reboot films for what they are, but GR's vision was scarcely there. I hope the third one will be more about exploration, maybe some Nomad/V'ger like story. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015
    Star Trek, Schmar Trek....
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2015 edited
    Anybody watching Neil Brand's SOUND OF SONG on BBC 4? Seriously, Do yourself a favour. You should catch up with it if you're able ( I'm not going to explain anything, find out for yourself ) it's Brilliant. I certainly learnt some stuff that I didn't know.

Some here will remember that Brand did a great series on film composers too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2015 edited
    Anybody watching WOLF HALL on BBC 2? My first thought was 'oh no, not yet another Henry VIII drama' but after watching the first episode I was seriously impressed, excellent cast, script, acting and with an air of authenticity, this is nothing like the sexed up and Historically silly THE TUDORS ( which I did find entertaining ), I can't wait for the second episode, this is brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2015
    Yes, I liked it! And the music. (Debbie Wiseman?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Yes, I watched it too. And really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed Wiseman's music for this (I believe that it's being released by Silva Screen? - Silva have already released a single track, "Entirely Beloved").
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yes, I watched it too. And really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed Wiseman's music for this (I believe that it's being released by Silva Screen? - Silva have already released a single track, "Entirely Beloved").

Looks like Wiseman's music is due for a release on March, 9th.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Hall-Origi … soundtrack
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. The Imitation Game

Incredible. Amazing performances through and through, from cast and crew.

Scorewise, I think Desplat was a perfect fit for a film about Alan Turing. People often claim that his scores lack emotion, and while I don't agree, I think I understand why and believe that his work is kind of misunderstood, so, interestingly, I'd say this one is his most emotional score yet. He was certainly inspired by the Turing's ordeals.
  4. Alan Turing's Legacy is one of his most outwardly emotional pieces. I really liked the film as well. I could RELATE to Alan Turing. Cumberbatch's acting is impeccable.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Didn't care for the film at all. Too melodramatic and mainstream and "Oscar-baity" for my taste. The score was disappointing too, but no surprise there, coming from Mr. Ostinato/Repetitive Undulating Figure himself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunshine (Danny Boyle)

Could have been great. But isn't. Passed the time though.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

Probably could never really have been great. And isn't. Passed the time though.

Captain America 2

Probably my favourite one of these films that doesn't have Iron Man in it. The Thor ones are the only ones I haven't really liked much at all, this is nearer the other end of the scale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd choose Guardians of the Galaxy as my favourite non-Iron Man Marvel film (and The Avengers as my favourite overall), but Captain America 2 did surprise me, even though it does suffer a bit from "Why not call the Avengers?" syndrome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY was an utter piece of garbage, IMO. Totally unfunny and grating at the same time.

CAPTAIN AMERICA 2 was OK.

SUNSHINE is an underrated piece of brilliance, James!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yes, but you don't have a sense of humor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It would certainly seem that way.
  6. confused

However, I found GUARDIANS quite entertaining.
    SUNSHINE I found rather good. The final act is nonsense.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I also found Guardians quite entertaining. The final act of Sunshine is what turned it from something really good into something - well, not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I also found Guardians quite entertaining. The final act of Sunshine is what turned it from something really good into something - well, not.

Everyone pours hate over the finale of SUNSHINE. It's as old as the accusation that Horner sometimes borrows from himself. YAWN! Personally, I think it's one of the coolest parts of the film. Takes a 180, and becomes something else that is unexpected, but not unwarranted.

But a film that is even more underrated -- in somewhat similar territory -- is EVENT HORIZON. That's an awesome film right there!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. SUNSHINE is like a hybrid of EVENT HORIZON (a much better film) and 2010. The final act feels forced, a devil ex machina, Jack in the box ... it's stupid. The visuals are great throughout. Why are there so many sifi films with great visuals and bad scribts?
  8. Captain Future wrote
    Why are there so many films with great visuals and bad scribts?

Fixed that for you. I mean, how often do you come across any film with great writing and shoddy visuals? The other way around we see all the time.
  9. kiss

But really, you put huge piles of money into every aspect of a production, can't you dig up some fellow who will write you a decent scribt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Everyone pours hate over the finale of SUNSHINE. It's as old as the accusation that Horner sometimes borrows from himself. YAWN!

Do they? I don't remember ever hearing anyone say anything about this film, so I went into it "clean", not even really knowing what it was about. And it doesn't escape my attention that people say that about Horner because it's true.

Personally, I think it's one of the coolest parts of the film.

This is the most unsurprising thing I've ever read in my life.
  10. Heh heh.

I'm glad I have a sense of humour. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2015
    I wanted SUNSHINE to be good. It isn't!

EVENT HORIZON is okay up to a point and then it turned into shit.

The trailer for GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY made me think it was Marvel's first major slip up. It wasn't. It was second only to THE AVENGERS as the most entertaining superhero movie made so far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    Everyone pours hate over the finale of SUNSHINE. It's as old as the accusation that Horner sometimes borrows from himself. YAWN!

It's more than an accusation though, as is his verbatim rips of classical music, it is a FACT!

He does do it so well that to many of us it doesn't matter too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Do they? I don't remember ever hearing anyone say anything about this film, so I went into it "clean", not even really knowing what it was about.

Yeah, everyone I've met that have seen the film keep harping on about the finale -- except me and some of my colleagues in Montages who think it's a crucial part of the rhythm and 'surprise' level. It's like with A.I. and the criticism that it should have ended at the bottom of the ocean with David staring at the Blue Fairiy. Bollocks, I say! The final act is absolutely CRUCIAL not only to the storyline and character, but to the project as a whole.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Sunshine - With a great director, visually stunning effects, and great actors on the loose, there's not much that could go wrong. Oh, wait... That said, I love this totally ridiculous movie.

Event Horizon - Really creepy, and I always imagined for myself that the ship just went into the Warp from the Warhammer Universe, got there what it deserved, and returned to prove that you don't mess with stuff you don't understand. What a great creep.

Guardians - If you don't laugh your ass off watching this spectacular movie, please tell me what you do find funny. Just so that I can avoid that at all costs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Guardians - If you don't laugh your ass off watching this spectacular movie, please tell me what you do find funny. Just so that I can avoid that at all costs.

Most anything, I would say. But my favourite comedy is of the more absurd kind (Monty Python, obviously) without any punchlines. Or "smart" slapstick, from Buster Keaton to Jim Carrey. Just a couple of examples.

Glad we agree on the other two movies, however (although I don't consider SUNSHUNE 'ridiculous' in any form or shape).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015 edited
    Very strange you don't like it then, since a lot of the Guardians humour borders on the absurd, but taste is taste. I love Monty Python, but don't like Jim Carrey at all, especially compared to Buster Keaton.

Regarding Sunshine again, I think the idea that [spoiler]anything we could throw into the sun could change its energy output is ridiculous, especially based on the movie's own premise that two chances are better than one. Either the process of starting a chain reaction works with any amount of the used material, or it doesn't work at all. Also the fact that the guy responsible for the course change just forgot to adjust the most important, live-saving aspect of doing a course change is very ridiculous. Strangely, I don't find the plot about the crazy captain from ship one ridiculous. I can imagine people going crazy under those circumstances. It just doesn't do a lot of good to the story.[/spoiler]

All that said, beside the obvious goodies the movie presents (visuals, actors, music), there are some very simple but nightmarishly effective things which make it so brilliant. That creepy audio signal - you know which one - being one of them.