• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015 edited
    Humour is humour. Impossible to agree unless you find your soulmate in that area. Clearly, you and I have very different taste in humour.

As for SUNSHINE, I've never been too interested in plot points in such film -- nor really the science behind it -- as I think their qualities are on a whole other level.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Thor wrote
    Humour is humour. Impossible to agree unless you find your soulmate in that area. Clearly, you and I have very different taste in humour.
    Nothing wrong with that.

As for SUNSHINE, I've never been too interested in plot points in such film -- nor really the science behind it -- as I think their qualities are on a whole other level.
    Well, I am very interested in such things, which is why I was absolutely stunned they put an audio commentary with the advising scientist on the DVD (man, it's way overdue that I get this pretty thing on BluRay). He is completely open to admit what's okay-ish and what's bullshit. He said certain things had to be ignored for the story to work, and I'm okay with that, too. While I think movies should have a good story, I look out for lots of other things to enjoy, and I'm not one of those people who condemn the work efforts of hundreds just because one lousy writer fucked up. That's why I still can get lots of fun out of movies like Battleship, Transformers, The Hobbit (although I like most of its writing; I'm just mentioning it because it's so hip for people to blast it despite its merits), or the Star Wars Prequels. There are just so many things to enjoy about them, I'm not looking their stories too straight in the eye. Although I still think the political mechanics of Palpatine's web of intrigues are pure genius.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    my recent viewing has been seriously ( literally ) grim.

THE EICHMANN SHOW

Brilliant drama reconstruction of the prosecution of Adolf Eichmann. ( still available on BBC 2 catch up. I very highly recommend this )

HOLOCAUST: NIGHT WILL FALL

Some of the imagery in this documentary is some of the strongest I've seen. Appalling, affecting, moving but brilliant film. ( still available on Channel 4 catch up. I reservedly recommend this, film of the lowest human barbarity is stomach churning and to this day still hard to accept )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Once again I'm sorry that such streaming services are limited to their respective territories.

Some years ago the BBC did a 6 part mini series documentary about Auschwitz that aired in Germany. It reconstructed the way to Auschwitz, the developement of violent antisemitism that aimed at extinction, the "Wannseekonferenz", the planing, the logistics and the ultimate execution of the "Endlösung" and the concentration camp Auschwitz intself. The episode depicting the camp I saw blurred.

I later bought that series on DVD.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Have you seen.... I think, The Final Solution starring among others Kenneth Brannagh, Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci (as Eichmann)? I think this was quite harrowing and brilliant.

I saw it before and caught a glimpse of it yesterday, when Heydrich (Brannagh) was entering the building and commenting that "he'd move here after the war". I replied "you're not gonna live that long!"
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. It's Conspiracy I believe.

No, never saw it, but I heard good things about it.

I know the German film Wannseekonferenz, that is also based on the actual protocols. You gaze into the void of nihilism. Harrowing is the word.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Once again I'm sorry that such streaming services are limited to their respective territories.

Some years ago the BBC did a 6 part mini series documentary about Auschwitz that aired in Germany. It reconstructed the way to Auschwitz, the developement of violent antisemitism that aimed at extinction, the "Wannseekonferenz", the planing, the logistics and the ultimate execution of the "Endlösung" and the concentration camp Auschwitz intself. The episode depicting the camp I saw blurred.

I later bought that series on DVD.

I think the full title was AUSCHWITZ: THE NAZIS AND THE FINAL SOLUTION. Exceptional television, a very well made drama-documentary.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Have you seen.... I think, The Final Solution starring among others Kenneth Brannagh, Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci (as Eichmann)? I think this was quite harrowing and brilliant.

Yes. The Captain is right, it was called CONSPIRACY: THE MEETING AT WANNSEE. The juxtaposition of a fine evening meal with "the good and the great" while discussing the "solution" is chilling indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I liked that Black Widow actually had a part to play here (in The Avengers she made little sense: there's this guy leveling buildings, there's this Scandinavian Thundergod, there's this American living legend, there's this human rocket. And there's a girl with a gun.).
    I really liked Jenny Agutter -occasional wet dream of every boy ever having watched seventies UK TV- kicking some serious ass (yeah, yeah, it was all CGI. I don't care.)
    I really really liked a very dapper Robert Redford who, hair dye and all, clearly keeps himself in marvellous shape, belying his age.

I liked nothing else.
    Noisy film. Heavy on action. Light on sense.
    Annoying neo-goth boy villain.
    None of the "out of time" sensitivity that I thought made part 1 so very good (that movie has one of the most heart-breaking lines in any Marvel film!).
    Not even the teaser trailer was interesting.
    Bleh.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can't stand Scarlet Johansson, nor her useless character in these Marvel films. I much prefer Cobie Smulders' character. As badass as Widow, but without being an annoying, unbeatable know-it-all.

Fuck Scarlet Johansson. Yes, both meanings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain American: The Winter Solider is an over rated piece of junk! The entire Captain America series has been an utter disappointment!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. I didn't mind WINTER SOLDIER. Not sure why it had to end up in a ridiculous flying aircraft carrier set piece, but the first half worked for me.

As for Scarlet Johannson -- after the year of UNDER THE SKIN, HER, LUCY (where she's great) -- I can't imagine why anyone would hate her. But there you go.

I did see HOBBIT: BATTLE OF FIVE ARMIES the other day. The spirit has left the body, but like a zombie, it charges on. When Evangeline L's character bemoans the feeling of love with the anguished line 'Why does it hurt so bad?!', I would it were the screen were in flames. By the time Bilbo put portraits of the writers, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens up on his mantelpiece, I was ready to wind back the clock to the point where New Zealand hadn't even been discovered yet, just so we could ensure that this situation should not have been possible. I will not watch the next 3 Peter Jackson films in a cinema, I don't care how good they are. I'm a small part of the audience, but there has to be some small cost for not knowing when to leave the party.

Far better was DIVERGENT, and even better than that was MAZE RUNNER. The YA novel adaptations get a lot of crap from male film fans above the age of 18, but I can't shake the feeling that most of these are about a lot more than the rest of the tentpoles.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015
    franz_conrad wrote
    By the time Bilbo put portraits of the writers, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens up on his mantelpiece, I was ready to wind back the clock to the point where New Zealand hadn't even been discovered yet, just so we could ensure that this situation should not have been possible.

lol
  5. Anyone else tried Google's Chromecast for streaming content to their not-quite-smart-enough TVs?

As we don't have a "smart" TV and have never gone to the expense of upgrading to a Sky HD box I thought that I would try out this Chromecast gadget thing. It said all you had to do was plug it into a spare HDMI slot, fire it up, link it up to the home wifi and "away you go."

First impressions are that it's quite good. Could be quite useful to watch BBC iPlayer and we'll probably see if we have enough demand from renting/streaming films from Google Play store to justify a subscription to Netflix. We can stream YouTube videos straight to the telly too. And since it's plugged into the HDMI slot, the TV now becomes - for the first time - an HDTV.

And all controlled from my smartphone or Anne's tablet. The only concern I have is whether out internet speed (usually 10-12Mbps) will cope with us watching something when the kids are doing stuff too.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015
    Ahhh, a proper film on Film4.

THE LONGEST DAY

That's my afternoon sorted. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone else tried Google's Chromecast for streaming content to their not-quite-smart-enough TVs?

As we don't have a "smart" TV and have never gone to the expense of upgrading to a Sky HD box I thought that I would try out this Chromecast gadget thing. It said all you had to do was plug it into a spare HDMI slot, fire it up, link it up to the home wifi and "away you go."

First impressions are that it's quite good. Could be quite useful to watch BBC iPlayer and we'll probably see if we have enough demand from renting/streaming films from Google Play store to justify a subscription to Netflix. We can stream YouTube videos straight to the telly too. And since it's plugged into the HDMI slot, the TV now becomes - for the first time - an HDTV.

And all controlled from my smartphone or Anne's tablet. The only concern I have is whether out internet speed (usually 10-12Mbps) will cope with us watching something when the kids are doing stuff too.

Yep. Very handy little device (so long as you can connect it to your router without too much hassle). Certainly feels very "sci-fi" to control your TV with a tablet... which is obviously very cool.
  6. Steven wrote
    Yep. Very handy little device (so long as you can connect it to your router without too much hassle). Certainly feels very "sci-fi" to control your TV with a tablet... which is obviously very cool.

I didn't have any problem linking it up with the wifi and the whole process seemed unusually simple.

Still not sure that the speed we are getting from our provider - 10-12 Mbps - together with the 5-6 other devices accessing the router is allowing us to cast in full HD. So I am seeing if I can "tweak" anything to optimise things so that we can get the programmes in HD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015
    On my want to see list:

A Theory of Everything
    The Imitation Game
    Kingsman

And I have seen Mr. Turner. It's nice (horrible score in my opinion). I think it would be even better if you know a bit about Turner and if you know more art than I do. Apparently some scenes are based on paintings, I guess from that period. Not sure. Someone pointed one out to me (when Turner is on the boat).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015
    My viewing routine will have to change as my laptop has decided it no longer likes Roxio after 5 years. It was installed only to view DVD's because it wouldn't play films on Windows Media Player sad

Since I work with enough electronics I'm just going to get one of those small players. I like to watch them in bed with my eyes close to the screen so I can see it.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2015 edited
    POLTERGEIST meh!

On the plus side it does have Father Ted starring in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    POLTERGEIST meh!

On the plus side it does have Father Ted starring in it.

No.
    No no no no no.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Agreed.

Nope.

Nope nope nope. Nope.

Nope.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    "your daughter is here, and she's aloive" biggrin

This film looks more in line with the excellent Poltergeist III wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah to be sure to be sure.

I've not seen Poltergeezer III, but I can only assume it's safe to take your word on that one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, it is the best film you'll never see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I notice it's got female Kim Jong-il in it (who was in the first one)... must be worth a watch!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If your idea of a good time includes piercing your scrotum with porcupine spines dipped in boiling chilli oil then yes, it is worth watching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Our local theater is showing some of the old noir films and last night it was the 1946 version of "The Postman Always Rings Twice" with Lana Turner and John Garfield, from the novel by James M. Cain, an author who has written several good books including "Double Indemnity" and "Mildred Pierce"
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2015
    Does anyone know who's scoring this?

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO

Gorgeous trailer music. Definitely a John Barry influence rather than Barry Gray without a doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2015
    Sometimes I feel like I'm posting to a blank wall.
    Tom