• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013
    Hey, Desplat did ZERO DARK THIRTY last year, a dark and propulsive score with very subtle thematic development and not big on melody. If the filmmakers want something like that for Godzilla, they don't need to seek elsewhere, he can deliver. If they want something more thematic, orchestral and dark, look at Harry Potter 6.2. The guy has shown range in these fields, lets just see what Desplaty-flavor is asked for by the director.
  1. If Desplat does something like Zero Dark Thirty I'll be wishing we'd had a Jablonsky score instead. For crying out loud, dull understatement is the exact opposite of what Godzilla needs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I was mainly thinking about a track like 'Flight to Compound' here, I can imagine that's something that grabbed the director's attention for Godzilla (and I don't agree on your statement, I think ZDT is a very interesting score that is way above 'dull understatement' wink).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    The only thing we can hope for is another situation like RISE OF THE GUARDIANS where the director pretty much gave Desplat free rein to write whatever he wanted and to be as creative as possible.

-Erik-

Be still my beating heart. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    I think ZDT is a very interesting score that is way above 'dull understatement' wink).

Godzilla is NOT "very interesting". angry
    Godzilla is apocalyptic, end-of-the-world, unstoppable-force-of-nature, tens of thousands of tons of nuclear annihilation.
    He does NOT need "very interesting".
    He needs percussion to shake the earth, choirs intoning the doom of ages and brass to rival the signs of the Rapture.
    THAT's what he needs!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013
    He needs.... David Arnold?
  2. Steven wrote

On a list of greatest discrepancies between quality of film and quality of score, surely Arnold's Godzilla must rank in the Top 10 or so.
    Martijn wrote
    BobdH wrote
    I think ZDT is a very interesting score that is way above 'dull understatement' wink).

Godzilla is apocalyptic, end-of-the-world, unstoppable-force-of-nature, tens of thousands of tons of nuclear annihilation.
    He needs percussion to shake the earth, choirs intoning the doom of ages and brass to rival the signs of the Rapture.
    THAT's what he needs!

F*CK YEAH!!! punk punk punk

...unfortunately, despite all his immense talent, Desplat simply doesn't strike me as the right type for this. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    ...unfortunately, despite all his immense talent, Desplat simply doesn't strike me as the right type for this. slant

I never understand why people, especially film music fans, pigeon hole composers. These guys can write is various styles and if the director asks Desplat to go hard core on the big, bang boom of classic monster scores of the past then he'll deliver just that.

Again, Edmund, and we've done this before....let's go back to Howard Shore. Most people didn't think it was possible for Shore to do what he did for The Lord of the Rings. But he delivered.

I'm sure fans of Williams' 60's era of film music would never have though in a million years that he could write a gigantic space opera.

Did any one think Danny Elfman was capable of writing the music for Batman?

How about Goldenthal for Frida? Alan Silvestri and Back To The Future?

Shall I continue?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

A great score and the best thing about that shite film but I doubt he'd bring anything new to this new version.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    BobdH wrote

THAT's what he needs!

Absolutely! As long as it's not wrapped in generic trailer music of that ilk.

...and there's too many 'ho-hum I'm on apocalyptic pilot' composers all too ready to fill that bloody darned generic void unfortunately.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Anyone have any experience with the film Frankenstein Unbound? Got the soundtrack by Carl Davis which is pretty good.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I heard Alexandre Desplat was going to score it ages ago, but recently heard he had been replaced by Brian Tyler.

Frankly, even if Tyler doesn't write the music to this, he will probably score every other movie coming out in 2014 anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agree on the soundtrack, but haven't seen the film.
    Apparently it wasn't received very well ("Frankenstein Unbound received mixed reviews from critics, as it holds a 44% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 16 reviews. It didn't do well at the box office also, grossing nearly $335,000.").
    If it happens to be broadcast on a Frioday night, I'll probably try and catch it...but it doesn't seem like anything to go out of my way for.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    I heard Alexandre Desplat was going to score it ages ago, but recently heard he had been replaced by Brian Tyler.

Frankly, even if Tyler doesn't write the music to this, he will probably score every other movie coming out in 2014 anyway.

Tyler is very probable too; and he will deliver what the studios want. (Not to suggest Desplat can't do it either, he's a great composer).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I never understand why people, especially film music fans, pigeon hole composers. These guys can write is various styles and if the director asks Desplat to go hard core on the big, bang boom of classic monster scores of the past then he'll deliver just that.

Again, Edmund, and we've done this before....let's go back to Howard Shore. Most people didn't think it was possible for Shore to do what he did for The Lord of the Rings. But he delivered.

I'm sure fans of Williams' 60's era of film music would never have though in a million years that he could write a gigantic space opera.

Did any one think Danny Elfman was capable of writing the music for Batman?

How about Goldenthal for Frida? Alan Silvestri and Back To The Future?

Shall I continue?

-Erik-

I never said that he can't do it. Just that he doesn't strike me as the right type. Desplat's music, for me, always exudes precision, delicacy, subtlety. Always. Even in his most bombastic of action settings. And while that style of action music can and has worked in the past, about the last place I can imagine it working is for a big stomping lizard who is neither delicate, precise nor subtle.

I should point out that a lot the composers you mentioned came out of nowhere/were at the beginning of their careers when they wrote those "surprising" scores (Silvestri, Elfman, Williams even) whereas Desplat is firmly established by now. But obviously I can't wait to be proven wrong and for Desplat to give us the film music surprise of the decade. I'm just a tad skeptical, is all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

A great score and the best thing about that shite film but I doubt he'd bring anything new to this new version.

He wouldn't need to, he'd just need to adapt his existing score to for the film. cool
  4. sdtom wrote
    Anyone have any experience with the film Frankenstein Unbound? Got the soundtrack by Carl Davis which is pretty good.
    Tom

Not yet. I am hoping that the score will appear as a digital download at some point in the future.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

Good heavens no. Please, not ruddy Brian Tyler and his fucking drum kit.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Good heavens no. Please, not ruddy Brian Tyler and his fucking drum kit.

Something about this outburst is just hilarious. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin But come onnnnnn he's cooooooool! smile punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013
    Doesn't BSX offer digital downloads?
    Tom
  6. They do Tom. But sometimes the digital versions are delayed until sometime after the CD release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Didn't think of that. I thought that it was the other way around.
    Tom
  7. sdtom wrote
    Didn't think of that. I thought that it was the other way around.
    Tom

I think that, with the CD being a limited release, labels tend to wait until they have shifted a certain number of units (or until the CD has sold out) before making it available as a digital download.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm sure you're right Alan.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013
    CLEOPATRA ( 1963 )

On TV right now. A dull film but curiously watchable, not least because of the scale and spectacle, they will never make them like this again.

A very good meat-on-bones score by Alex North that never loses it's fascination with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Agree with your assessment of the score.
    Tom
  8. I love those bitching scenes with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. They aren't playing anyone. They are simply themselves.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very true mein Captain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    CLEOPATRA ( 1963 )

On TV right now. A dull film but curiously watchable, not least because of the scale and spectacle, they will never make them like this again.

I think it's a very underestimated movie.
    The attention to historic detail on the one hand and the sheer unadulturated spectacle on the one hand really makes it a favourite of mine (and Rex, Roddy, Dick and Liz are all just brilliant in their roles! As much larger than life as the film itself!).