• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015
    And rhetoric.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Whatever!

What it comes down to is that it didn't sound like American English.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Some hurt national pride here? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Some hurt national pride here? wink

Oh yes, I'm sooooo hurt! rolleyes

Facts is facts and I stated them. Simple!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015
    Yew tell 'em, padner! <spoken in my best John Wayne Texas drawl>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015
    Chappie

Awful. The new M. Night Shyamalan it would seem.
  2. Just finished watching BIG HERO 6. Such a disappointing film after the promise of the first trailer. I could have happily watched 90 minutes of a naive Baymax (?) clumsily getting to grips with the world. But what we got was typical Hollywood a saccharin-laden story that became boring very quickly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - David Lean

Bloody great film and score.

It's been some years since I last saw this film. When I saw it again this past weekend one thought constantly lingered in my in my mind: "This is DUNE".

Paul = Lawrence
    Fremen = Arabs (Well, that much was clear.)
    Spice = Oil

I did some quick research and found that this interpretation of DUNE is quite common. I didn't know that.

The sublime Peter O'Toole portraits Lawrence as a twisted and arrogant character. Was he really that way?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just finished watching BIG HERO 6. Such a disappointing film after the promise of the first trailer. I could have happily watched 90 minutes of a naive Baymax (?) clumsily getting to grips with the world. But what we got was typical Hollywood a saccharin-laden story that became boring very quickly.

Agree, agree, agree. Baymax was great; the film was shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Big Hero 6 was great until they went all Marvel on us during the latter half of the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. The problem with Big Hero 6 is that it IS marvel. It's based on a marvel comic. While a whole movie about naive Baymax discovering the world and learning to relate would have been a vastly superior film, it was never going to happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015
    36 Quai Des Orfèvres (2004)

Dark and hardboiled police thriller starring Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu.
    It's all about massive corruption and amorality pervading the police at all levels, following a couple of ruthless and deadly armoured car robberies. The mood and colour are all relentlessly grim, with some pretty strong echoes of the old French 'film noire' policiers from the 1970s with Lino Ventura, Jean-Paul Belmondo and Alain Delon (which is not a bad thing!).

The very good soundtrack by Erwann Kermorvant and Axelle Renoir at times takes a leaf out of Don Davis' book, and is overall, understandably, mostly in a minor key.

(Trivia note: no. 36 at the Quai des Orfèvres is the police HQ in Paris. The translated title "36th Precinct" makes NO sense whatsoever!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. "Crystal River" (2008)

The story of a married woman in a small town who finds herself wanting the son of an elderly man she cares for across the street.

I'd say for the most part it was nicely done, written, and filmed. It's a slow-paced film, but didn't wear out it's welcome. It was suggestion at the side of a youtube video. I didn't know who scored it, so I stuck around during the opening credits to check out the score and see who did it. Turns out it was Woody Pak, who I brought up the funny name of in another thread many months ago.

For the msot part it's a plesant and some what emotional small ensamble score with acoustic. Nothing amazing, but not bad to hear at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KwaMfzkuEU
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    36 Quai Des Orfèvres (2004)

Dark and hardboiled police thriller starring Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu.
    It's all about massive corruption and amorality pervading the police at all levels, following a couple of ruthless and deadly armoured car robberies. The mood and colour are all relentlessly grim, with some pretty strong echoes of the old French 'film noire' policiers from the 1970s with Lino Ventura, Jean-Paul Belmondo and Alain Delon (which is not a bad thing!).

The very good soundtrack by Erwann Kermorvant and Axelle Renoir at times takes a leaf out of Don Davis' book, and is overall, understandably, mostly in a minor key.

(Trivia note: no. 36 at the Quai des Orfèvres is the police HQ in Paris. The translated title "36th Precinct" makes NO sense whatsoever!)

The original Clouzot film is excellent. I presume you've seen it?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015 edited
    Completely different film, completely different plot, Thor. smile

(The Clouzot title is 'just'"Quai Des Orfèvres", this is "36 Quai Des Orfèvres")
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Completely different film, completely different plot, Thor. smile

(The Clouzot title is 'just'"Quai Des Orfèvres", this is "36 Quai Des Orfèvres")

Ah, sorry. Thought this was a remake of that one.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. War of the Worlds (2005) - Steven Spielberg

I remember this film came out of the blue for me back in 2005. I did not hear anything about it before it hit cinemas. When I watched the film the first time around I did not like it very much. My dislike was partly due to the fact that I'm not the biggest fan of Tom Cruise.
    Now that I re-watched it I have to say, that this is certainly one of Cruise's best performances. The imagery of the film is brilliant. The plot sticks much more to the source material than the Pal version did. It's also a bit of an anti-ID4 film.
    I struck me that the film as a Lovecraftian feel about it. That goes especially for the first act.
    The final was very Spielberg but that didn't bother me much.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015
    Lovecraftian? uhm

The good thing about the film was Gene Barry and An Robinson.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015
    Martijn wrote
    Lovecraftian? uhm

I'm struggling there too. I suppose there's tentacles involved but...
  7. Über-beings from the distant past, sleeping hidden in the ground, that does sound like Lovecraft to me.
  8. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Lovecraftian? uhm

I'm struggling there too. I suppose there's tentacles involved but...

In that case there's a hell of a lot of Lovecraftian stuff coming out of Japan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2015
    Old C. wouldn't stand a chance against the REAL Ancient Of The Deep.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    World Without End

Another Ken Follet-written TV miniseries set in a surprisingly clean medieval England.
    Switched off halfway the second episode.
    After Pillars Of The Earth I should have known better.

The series -like Pillars Of The Earth- look lovely, with grandiose plot concepts...but it's all FAR too linear to the level of becoming childish (in fact, were it not for some rather graphic violence it's not unlike watching the modern day TV versions of Sindbad or Robin Hood).

It certainly doesn't help that everyone is carefully dressed and coiffed, looking like they just walked off the set of an American soap opera, but its main downfall really is that it treats its viewers as idiots.
    There is NO surprise whatsoever in ANY of the 'by-the-numbers' plot points, and the characters are utterly one-dimensional with modern day sentimentalities thrown in by the truck load against "silly superstitious" medieval concepts: e.g. female protagonists are all strong, liberated women, with amazingly 20th century concepts of politics and science.

It's lazy, stupid and boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    X-Men: Days of Futures Past

Is that what it was called? The most recent one, anyway. I remember it got rave reviews but I don't remember much else about it even though I watched it two days ago. These things (all the comic book movies) are all just blending into one now.

The Wolf of Wall Street

This, I did like. Glengarry Glen Ross it ain't, but it's good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    World Without End

Another Ken Follet-written TV miniseries set in a surprisingly clean medieval England.
    Switched off halfway the second episode.

That's one episode longer than I lasted with Pillars of the Earth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    X-Men: Days of Futures Past

Is that what it was called? The most recent one, anyway. I remember it got rave reviews but I don't remember much else about it even though I watched it two days ago. These things (all the comic book movies) are all just blending into one now.

I don't really understand the positive reaction this one got. It's one of the better X-Men films I guess, but that isn't saying much. I do like Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy as the young versions of magneticguy and whatshisface. I could happily watch a film just about those characters rather than a clusterfuck of Marvel wankery. (Their first film together doesn't count because it was shite.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2015
    I thought the most recent X-Men film was terrible. I did like X-Men First Class however.
  9. I think Days of Future Past is fine. (Perhaps the only film in that series that actually works.) I think how you feel about these comic book films largely depends on what order you see them in. So many common beats and moments across films, if you see them later, they can feel cut from a template. Slight problem: all the best stuff is in the first half.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015 edited
    A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron) by Roy Andersson

Well, that must've been one of the oddest movies I've seen. My girlfriend said it was the most depressing movies she's ever seen and didn't liked it at all. No moving camera, just about 40 "portraits" of scenes with often the same characters, or people who return, even though they're no part of the "main story". Some of these scenes are rather hilarious, fascinating and spectacular ([spoiler]the song at the bar, the entrance of the army in an other bar[/spoiler]) but usually are distant and very bleak. One of the last scenes is actually quite harrowing, followed by a call for questioning by one of the main characters.

It's perhaps a bit a sad look on life, that people often say the same things just to fill gaps, and when someone raises a question that is not part of this "routine", someone answers that he should be quiet because people need to work tomorrow. This is followed by a funny scene at a bus stop.

Odd thing this. Not sure what to think.

Anyone else has seen it?
    Kazoo