• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    CLEOPATRA ( 1963 )

On TV right now. A dull film but curiously watchable, not least because of the scale and spectacle, they will never make them like this again.

I think it's a very underestimated movie.
    The attention to historic detail on the one hand and the sheer unadulturated spectacle on the one hand really makes it a favourite of mine (and Rex, Roddy, Dick and Liz are all just brilliant in their roles! As much larger than life as the film itself!).

Liz and Dick just simmer in this film and knowing the background and history of the films making that is no surprise really.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013
    Although -of course- I prefer the absolutely intense and unsettling Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, I like their intensity a lot in Cleopatra.

Did you happen to see BBC 4's Burton and Taylor about the both of them appearing on theatre in Oscar Wilde's Private Lives?
    Dominic West played an interesting but anaemic Burton (although the voice was quite good!), but Helena Bonham Carter absolutely nailed Taylor! It was uncanny!

Very interesting film showing quite a good insight into the famous couples' troubled interactions.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013
    Yes I did. Very good and I pretty much agree with your summation.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Just saw PACIFIC RIM and didn't like it at all. After all the positive talk about the film while it was in theaters, I'm guessing it loses a lot when viewed on a 32" screen. Yes there were big monsters - all very similar looking, and mostly just in night-scenes where you couldn't get too good a look at them anyway. And yes, there were big robots. That is not enough to overcome the silly dialogue and simple story, for me anyway. I keep expecting more from Del Toro. He is regularly praised by a lot of people, but after this and the two Hellboy films I guess his films just don't do much for me.
  2. I was disappointed by the film, too. The score remains a highlight, though.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    Christopher, have you seen Pan's Labyrinth? That is vintage Del Toro. You can't give up on him until you've seen that film.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    Saw Rise of the Guardians tonight. It was fine, not terribly inspired but diverting enough but the score is one of the best I've heard in context in a while. As you'd expect from this genre, it's practically wall-to-wall and contributes greatly to the movie's emotional moments and especially the action. I'm not a gigantic Desplat fan but he nailed this one.
  3. christopher wrote
    Just saw PACIFIC RIM and didn't like it at all. After all the positive talk about the film while it was in theaters, I'm guessing it loses a lot when viewed on a 32" screen. Yes there were big monsters - all very similar looking, and mostly just in night-scenes where you couldn't get too good a look at them anyway. And yes, there were big robots. That is not enough to overcome the silly dialogue and simple story, for me anyway. I keep expecting more from Del Toro. He is regularly praised by a lot of people, but after this and the two Hellboy films I guess his films just don't do much for me.

I really liked Hellboy II. Watching that movie actually makes me a little sad we never got to see a del Toro-helmed Hobbit.
  4. BobdH wrote
    Christopher, have you seen Pan's Labyrinth? That is vintage Del Toro. You can't give up on him until you've seen that film.

I haven't, but from what I understand, that film is too grisly for me. I do wonder what he might have done with THE HOBBIT. I don't think he could have done much worse... (apologies to any who enjoyed it - I really didn't)
  5. I watched Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa the other day and was pleased to see that the filmmakers played to the format's strengths and made the film feel like an extended episode of the TV show - until the last quarter.

Steve Coogan's character is fantastic to watch and it was good to see him and the set of characters again. But, the laughs did tend to tail off towards the end when the film seemed to veer away from the TV situation and move into "action movie".

Worth seeing but I would have preferred it if it hadn't gone off a bit towards the end.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013
    I watched Alpha Papa last night and was pleasantly surprised how funny it was considering it's been so long since the last TV series.

His methods of coping under stress are absolutely terrible.

I'M JASON STATHAM. I'm Jason Bourne. I'm Jason...Argonaut.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Having grown up in North Norfolk (and having lived in Cromer for the best part of five years) I enjoyed the usage of locations in the finale of Alpha Papa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Prisoners

My this is grim. You really do have to be in the mood to be able to enjoy this one! Luckily, I was very much in the mood for it.

A disturbing look at what lengths a parent would go to find their missing child. Simple premise, simple story, but very well executed. The impeding sense of dread never lets up, and although it can become very heavy, especially with a rather long running time, it's never less than compelling.

Jackman and Gyllenhaal both put in great performances, but it's Jackman that steals the show. Not something I'll be watching again any time soon, but definitely worth a look if you're in the mood for something dark.

...though it was let down by an anti-climactic ending. Be warned. slant
  6. I loved Prisoners. One of the best I've seen this year.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I watched Alpha Papa last night and was pleasantly surprised how funny it was considering it's been so long since the last TV series.

...there was one earlier this year! (On Sky.)
  7. I just learned "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" had a nubmer of deleted scenes, including ones that showed he had a younger brother and a younger sister:
    http://www.biography.com/tv/inside-stor … 2169504288

And here's another deleted scene:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFtF7W893j0 (good thing it was dropped, it's not funny)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Just to let Tim, Martijn and others. Witchfinder General is on BBC2 early tomorrow morning (Tuesday), 12:35am.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2013
    I have it. smile
    But cheers!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't. Thanks Alan smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Man O Steel

I... quite enjoyed this. I have no knowledge of Superman beyond the original 1978 film (which I think is terrible, aside from the opening titles), so I rather liked its overly portent and serious tone, and even its obvious, unsubtle religious [Christian] connotations. (But then I guess a mortal creature who, presumedly, evolved from natural processes who sends his only son to save earth is far more logically sound than the Christian version.)

I even enjoyed Zimmer's score! shame (Or themes, given that he probably didn't spend that much time writing specific cues?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Man O Steel

I... quite enjoyed this. I have no knowledge of Superman beyond the original 1978 film (which I think is terrible, aside from the opening titles), so I rather liked its overly portent and serious tone, and even its obvious, unsubtle religious [Christian] connotations. (But then I guess a mortal creature who, presumedly, evolved from natural processes who sends his only son to save earth is far more logically sound than the Christian version.)

I quite enjoyed it too. I think the 1978 one is terrible too. You seem to be of pretty sound mind.

I even enjoyed Zimmer's score!

YOU'RE AN IDIOT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Man O Steel

I quite enjoyed it too. I think the 1978 one is terrible too. You seem to be of pretty sound mind.

YOU'RE BOTH IDIOTS.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Man O Steel

I even enjoyed Zimmer's score!

YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

biggrin

First proper laugh of the day.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Man O Steel

YOU'RE BOTH IDIOTS.

FACT!
  9. I don't like either of them. Which probably means I don't like Superman. Meanwhile I saw a delightful Bulgarian experimental romantic comedy about the impossibility of love starring a turnip and a mountain range. (Translates roughly as 'No Rocks in a Hard Place'). Such solid performances! biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    I don't like either of them. Which probably means I don't like Superman. Meanwhile I saw a delightful Bulgarian experimental romantic comedy about the impossibility of love starring a turnip and a mountain range. (Translates roughly as 'No Rocks in a Hard Place'). Such solid performances! biggrin

Left me stone cold.

ahem
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Prisoners

My this is grim. You really do have to be in the mood to be able to enjoy this one! Luckily, I was very much in the mood for it.

A disturbing look at what lengths a parent would go to find their missing child. Simple premise, simple story, but very well executed. The impeding sense of dread never lets up, and although it can become very heavy, especially with a rather long running time, it's never less than compelling.

Jackman and Gyllenhaal both put in great performances, but it's Jackman that steals the show. Not something I'll be watching again any time soon, but definitely worth a look if you're in the mood for something dark.

...though it was let down by an anti-climactic ending. Be warned. slant

The score? 'cause it's absolutely excellent on cd, although very dark as well. I'd imagine it works wonders in the film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Man O Steel

I even enjoyed Zimmer's score! shame (Or themes, given that he probably didn't spend that much time writing specific cues?)

I saw it when it came out in the cinema, loved the score after i've seen the film, i often re-visit on cd. Movie was fun and enjoyable but after some months, i also found it to be quite forgettable, like most of those modern super-hero films. But in the cinema, as i already said: lots of fun, although too grim for Superman. And with the new Superman vs Batman film coming up and Snyder already saying that Ben Affleck's Superman will be a very troubled and tired character (?), i can already see it will move into the same vein.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. Demetris wrote

... And with the new Superman vs Batman film coming up and Snyder already saying that Ben Affleck's Superman will be a very troubled and tired character (?), i can already see it will move into the same vein.

Makes sense. Why should there be anything super about "super heroes"? If they are ever going to make a Justice League feature it will be a mere therapy group meating.

Anyway, I love the 1978 Superman film and I like the reconstructed cut of the second one. The other two entries in that series were crap, aside form the scores. (A bit like Jaws come to think of it.)

I thought Man of Steel was an OK film but that it could have been a really good film had it been cut down in duration. Hans Zimmer's score has grown on me.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.