• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. A documentary about the failed "Superman Lives" film:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwqhNqAMSj8

If you've seen the terrible photos of Cage in his Superman costume and bafled all over yourself, just wait until you hear and see what else was up. Imagine a producer telling you three things that had to be done for a Superman movie: 1: he can't fly -- ever; 2: Superman can't wear his Superman costume; and 3: well, you'll just have to find that one out for yourself.

Oh, did I mention Chris Rock was going to be in it?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Fairly new documentary on sessions players, revolving mainly aroudn the father of the film maker, the late Tommy Tedesco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoWaaYjbFi8

There's almost nothing about film scores on there, but what there is, is gold: Carol Kaye playing solo her bass line for the series theme from "Mission: Impossible" (she apparently does not like the documentary after she saw the full thing and talks badly about it on her Facebook page, which if you watch it, is baffling) and video of one player (I think Tommy) with a hilarious story about some TV sessions.

Well worth your time.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015 edited
    MR. ROBOT

Starts off very auspiciously, setting up an intriguing and troubled protagonist with a storyline that promised much. A really great start. Then the con started to unravel, apparently having exhausted all of its ideas in the first episode. I got to episode five before giving up: the incessant, dreary, and childishly unsubtle tone became too much. (I'm not sure what its message ultimately turns out to be, though seems fairly evident from those five episodes and about as subtle and unbiased as a Young Turks video.)

Time describes this as 'the Antidote to Your True Detective Blues'. No it fucking isn't, it's what will push you over the edge and make you pull the trigger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2015 edited
    Battle Of The Bulge (1965)
    Not the best or most riveting war film ever shot, but it sure is epic in scope and with the talent of the likes of Henry Fonda and Robert Shaw (the finest chiseled jawline and piercing metal-blue stare ever to grace the silver screen) and a shitload of tanks blasting the holy beejeesus out of each other, this is fine Sunday afternoon viewing.

And it's such a historically and technically accurate film too! What a fine victory for the US army!
    ( Timmer's comments in 3...2...1...)

Benjamin Frankel's score is serviceable, but nowhere near to the level of war film scoring veterans Maurice Jarre or Ron Goodwin, and sorely lacking a proper main theme. The repeated and sometimes diegetic use of the authentic German war song 'das Panzerlied' is eerily effective, though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2015
    Hate, hate HATE! that film.

Though no one but no one looks more like a "Tiger" tank commander than Robert Shaw.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mission: Impossible

Brian de Palma's. Sillier than I remembered; not as good. But still the best one (haven't seen the most recent one yet) by MILES.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Hate, hate HATE! that film.

Though no one but no one looks more like a "Tiger" tank commander than Robert Shaw.

It IS a wonder how incredibly unlike the wintery Ardennes the summery Spanish plaines look.
  3. Southall wrote
    Mission: Impossible

Brian de Palma's. Sillier than I remembered; not as good. But still the best one (haven't seen the most recent one yet) by MILES.

The most recent one isn't better, but it's the best by far since then as a film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Rewatched Cronenberg's The Fly after many years. Still holds up well and still impressed by how well Howard Shore's score works at manipulating emotions.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think it holds up well, for the most part. A lot of the scenes prior to the main event are very stale and flat. It's really the last 30 minutes that make it worth watching. Certainly the make-up and effects hold up well, and the image of Brundlefly pulling the gun to its head (among a few other scenes) is something no one will forget once they've seen it.

It's not something I want to watch again any time soon. Flys disgust me, and this film didn't exactly help.
  5. On reflection, the fashions and telephones haven't aged well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2015
    Geena Davis?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Haven't seen her recently so can't comment on how she's lasted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's less of a temporal awareness shock than with some of our other eighties' heroines.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    It's less of a temporal awareness shock than with some of our other eighties' heroines.

I think Linda looks better than Geena, actually. Also, she still has that 80s energy; check out her recent role in DEFIANCE, for example. But neither have succumbed to "Hollywood plastic fantastic face jobs", which is somehing I admire.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    But neither have succumbed to "Hollywood plastic fantastic face jobs", which is somehing I admire.

Oh absolutely.
    It was just not having seen either ever since 1991 or so that the evidence of time marching inexorably onward was somehwat dismaying for my own frame of reference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    When I saw Linda in DEFIANCE, I hadn't really seen her in anything since T2 either -- but I was impressed by how good she looked for her age. She always had those distinctive features; slightly wrinkly and masculine, but always with oozing femininity underneath. Guess you could say the same about Geena (btw, haven't you seen THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT [1996])?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    ]

Still a better Sarah Conner than Emilia Clarke.
  7. My cat is a better Sarah Connor than Emilia Clarke.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Watched Gravity. Not much there in terms of a script. Fortunately, the film is carried by its stunning visuals and sound design. Oh and Sandra Bullock. Steven Price's score is extremely effective in the film but probably not something I want to hear outside of it (with the exception of a few cues).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Linda Hamilton is totally f*cking awesome, and could probably still easily out-kickass Michelle Rodriguez.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Josh B wrote
    Watched Gravity. Not much there in terms of a script. Fortunately, the film is carried by its stunning visuals and sound design.

And EXCELLENT use of 3D!

Oh and Sandra Bullock.

Always +1 love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Linda Hamilton is totally f*cking awesome, and could probably still easily out-kickass Michelle Rodriguez.

And I would pay good money to see that. I hate Michelle Rodriguez. We get it, you can play the Latino with an attitude problem. Good for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure she's just misunderstood.
    Deep inside she's caring and loving and nurturing.

And she strips an AK-47 in 30 seconds and would drink Ernest Heimngway under the table while armwrestling Sylvester Stallone.

My kind of woman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ugh. Not mine. I like my women like I like my whisky.... [spoiler]I've already said too much[/spoiler]

Still, she's marginally less annoying than Scarlett Johansson. We get it, you're the only girl in a group of clearly superior characters and superheroes. Good for you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I like my women like I like my whisky

Malty? Stiff? With ice?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, I was alluding to the "8 years old and mixed with coke" bit. But I realised that's disgusting... whisky should be drank straight!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm betting Scottish.
    And I wouldn't blame you.
    I met a redhaired Scottish paralegal many moons ago in Tunesia, where we both stayed at the Owen Lars farmstead in Tatooine.
    Ah, that was a desert night to remember.

(Although nothing amorous occurred: her frumpy travel companion made it quite clear she thought three was a crowd sad )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    straight!

Oh, so now you're homophobic? Geez, Steven!