• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. And oh my word...the science. christmas_drunk face-palm-mt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    Jurassic Yawn was pretty terrible. These films are getting worse and worse and worse with each new chapter. BTW, I'm a Lost World and JPIII sympathizer. And the score is such a utter disappointment. Besides the Raptor March I didn't find anything memorable or interesting.

-Erik-

There's a few cues in there that would go into a compilation, like "As the Jurassic World Turns" and "Nine to Five Survival Job." But once the action starts, it's just loud and pounding until the end. Works splendidly in the film (as Giacchino's music almost always does) but too much for me on the disc.
  2. Airing on German TV: West Side Story (1960)

A fine retelling of the Shakespearean love story, great choreographies and timeless music by Leonard Bernstein.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2015
    ^ The opening number is so funny that I could never get through the rest of the film. That Overture, though, is simply fantastic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Airing on German TV: West Side Story (1960)

A fine retelling of the Shakespearean love story, great choreographies and timeless music by Leonard Bernstein.

Volker

Best musical ever IMO!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2015
    South Park The Movie gets my vote. Singin' In The Rain and Nightmare Before Christmas are a close second and third.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Watched Tremors for the first time in years. A DVD that was a truly horrible transfer. But the film is immense fun, with a great cast. 10/10 for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2015
    TheWanderer wrote
    Watched Tremors for the first time in years. A DVD that was a truly horrible transfer. But the film is immense fun, with a great cast. 10/10 for me.

TONS of nostalgia connected to that one. I think it was one of the earliest non-kiddie-rated movies I saw in the theatre (I was 13 when it came out), and then a couple of years later, a film buff class mate of mine convinced our English teacher to show it in in class (on VHS). She accepted, not knowing what it was about. I think she got a bit of a shock!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. TheWanderer wrote
    Watched Tremors for the first time in years. A DVD that was a truly horrible transfer. But the film is immense fun, with a great cast. 10/10 for me.

remains a great movie, after all these years. The cast is hilarious and the camera shots are amazing.
    Plus, if anybody ever releases Troost and Folk's score as heard in the film, they got a great release on their hands
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTheWanderer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015 edited
    remains a great movie, after all these years. The cast is hilarious and the camera shots are amazing.
    Plus, if anybody ever releases Troost and Folk's score as heard in the film, they got a great release in their hands

Yes there were several moments in the score i really enjoyed. The camera work is really great too. And some of them iniatures look really nice, particularly the hand-puppet graboid that smashes upwards into the ceiling when it attacks Burt Gummer's bunker. They also got the monster right in design, and how much they showed it and how often, i thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The film festival in Gent started yesterday! Today Christophe Plummer is coming to accept his lifetime achievement award, and Colin Farell will present the Greek movie The Lobster (which I unfortuntaly cannot go see during the festival. it looks absolutely bizarre). Alan Parker and also Marjane Satrapi are part of the jury. Focus is on British cinema, with quite a bit of British films and also a concert and seminar with Brits talking about British film music in British movies.

I'm going to see 6 movies and 2 concerts.

Has anyone seen?
    Ixcanul
    The High Sun (Zvizdan)
    Rams (Hrútar)
    Tale of Tales
    Son of Saul
    Slow West

Any good? I hope soo, because these are the ones I bought a ticket for!

A few other here often attend film festivals as well. What's does a good festival mean for you?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015
    Crikey!! Some very good names in the guest/jury list there!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    The film festival in Gent started yesterday! Today Christophe Plummer is coming to accept his lifetime achievement award, and Colin Farell will present the Greek movie The Lobster (which I unfortuntaly cannot go see during the festival. it looks absolutely bizarre). Alan Parker and also Marjane Satrapi are part of the jury. Focus is on British cinema, with quite a bit of British films and also a concert and seminar with Brits talking about British film music in British movies.

Has anyone seen?
    Ixcanul
    The High Sun (Zvizdan)
    Rams (Hrútar)
    Tale of Tales
    Son of Saul
    Slow West

Any good? I hope soo, because these are the ones I bought a ticket for!

A few other here often attend film festivals as well. What's does a good festival mean for you?

IXCANUL is being screened at the Films From the South festival, which is currently going on here in Oslo (and which I'm involved in), but I didn't get to see it. My colleague said it was OK, nothing more. RAMS, TALE OF TALES and SON OF SAUL is on my to-see list once I get the chance. My colleagues liked the last two, in particular.

SLOW WEST I've seen, and that is a great movie -- on my Top 20 of the year so far. Gorgeous landscapes used to great dramatic effect!

For anyone curious about what it is that I do, exactly, here are two English-language interviews I've done in the last few days with two of the festival's main guests -- one with Abderrahmane Sissako, the other with Pablo Larrain. Both were Oscar-nominated for Best Foreign Film last year with TIMBUKTU and NO, respectively. I'm doing live Q&As with them tonight and on Friday:

http://www.filmfrasor.no/en/news/2015/s … tages.html
    http://www.filmfrasor.no/en/news/2015/l … tages.html
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2015
    The Interview

Painfully, excruciatingly unfunny.
  5. Was that Thomas Newman conducting Sam Smith on tonight's Graham Norton Show? Only caught the briefest glimpse so will need to watch again on iPlayer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2015
    Late night music documentaries on BBC 4. The Beatles, Mike Oldfield, Psychedelic Britannia...

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Airing on German TV: West Side Story (1960)

Volker

Best musical ever IMO!

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Ah, THE SOUND OF MUSIC!

Before the Rogers / Hammerstein musical 1961 there was a German film featuring the same story in 1956: "Die Trapp-Familie" with nice music by Franz Grothe.
    There was also a German production of the musical, again called "Die Trapp-Familie", which sometimes leads to some confusion.
  8. Some recent take-ins...

Z for Zachariah
    Solid drama at its most elemental, and talk about a commitment to ambiguity with that ending. Heather Mackintosh's score does a sort of folk minimalism, centring on a diegetic hymn that resonates powerfully at the end. Three great strong performances, and it's encouraging to see a director carrying Tarkovsky's flame in Zobel. Great use of New Zealand locations.

Sicario
    Props to Villeneuve, Roger Deakins, the designer, editor and Johannes Johannson for bringing a truly oppressive sense of menace that lifts this procedural material into the gravitas of a war film. The set pieces are breathtakingly well executed. More than the film I expected, as simple as it is.

Bridge of Spies
    This is the Spielberg I like. Occasionally the Spielberg I don't like is let in for a moment or two. Interesting dramatic territory - in the end, governments are led by people, not the other way around, and the hero of this film is an interesting legal entrepreneur. The layers of society - family, courtroom, Police, CIA, legal fraternity, Stasi, KGB - are surprisingly many. If I could change one thing. That last scene on the train should not glow with satisfaction as much as it does. It's Thomas Newman doing John Williams for a Steven Spielberg ending, but if you play the scene again without the music, the scene the Coens have written seems more suited to the unsympathetic click-clack of the train alone.

Far From Men
    Now here's a moving film. The moral ambiguity of the position the Camus tale leads us to is hard to imagine at the outset. Viggo Mortensen is such a fine presence in film. When the Nick Cave / Warren Ellis score lets the tension go and finds the emotional heart at the end, I was in tears.

Notorious
    An oldy but a goodie. Didn't realise how much Mi2 was based on the plot of this film. (It works better without slow motion doves and Lalo Schifrin on power chords.)

And it's not a film, but I can't click into now playing to post this as it's 793 unread messages... But what's with the dissing of 'Writing on the Wall'? That's one of the best Bond songs I've heard. Is the idea that real men don't sing falsetto or something?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. I just saw Jurassic World.

I felt very well entertained. The story is the same as always, but hey, who cares? They just now release the 24th version of Dr. No, don't they, and everyone is fine with that.

I loved Giacchino's score in context. I'll be accompanied by that new major theme of his for days.

It was less gory than the old films, right? Pity.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2015
    It's low-brow, quite silly, and has far too much CGI... but damn is it entertaining.
  10. CGI: I was fine with the dinosaurs but for what ever reason buildings depicted in the background of frames seemed to look fake.
  11. I do like the animatronics used in the scene with the dying Apatosaurus. Good practical effects use, even if it was only "token".
  12. I enjoyed it despite the many things which were going against it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Some recent take-ins...

Thanks for those. Sicario and Bridge of Spies is on my to see list. So many good movies lately, and I still need to see Dheepan and The Lobster.

And it's not a film, but I can't click into now playing to post this as it's 793 unread messages... But what's with the dissing of 'Writing on the Wall'? That's one of the best Bond songs I've heard. Is the idea that real men don't sing falsetto or something?

For me that is not the reason. It really is not an interesting song to me. I don't mind it, I just thought it was rather boring.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015
    Bregt wrote
    The film festival in Gent started yesterday!

Has anyone seen?
    Ixcanul
    The High Sun (Zvizdan)
    Rams (Hrútar)
    Tale of Tales
    Son of Saul
    Slow West

It was a very good edition of the film festival. My choices at the film festival of Gent were almost all excellent movies. I think Ixcanul, Son of Saul and Slow West are very strong films that defenitely leave an impression.

The opening scene of Son of Saul was especially tense and harrowing. The way the director was always filming very close to the main character, was unique. Creates a very intense experience. The background is often fuzzy but sometimes the director decides to show details and those are often grueling. The ending certainly leaves everyone in the theatre quiet.

It helps that the directors of the respective movie were present for a Q&A after most of those screenings. Especially for Ixcanul this made the message much stronger.
    Kazoo
  13. Symphony No 2 Resurrection Gustav Mahler
    London Symphony Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein . Ely Cathedral, England, 1973

I own this on DVD. It is also on YouTube. Watch Bernstein conduct this incredible performance. What passion radiates from this man.

smile Volker
  14. Big Hero 6

Nice, but I expected much more of it. It's lacking the little ingenious dramatic highlights I usually get whilst watching an animated picture nowadays. Plus while Baymax was lovely, he again was lacking some sort of feeling.

Usually I'm more moved by these kind of pictures. Perhaps I'm getting old.

7 out of 10

------------------------------------------------

The Expendables 3

More of the same, but I liked it. Especially how the characters (some of them) were brought back late in the game. The finale is absolutely mind blowing. My only BIG concern is why this movie was PG Rated 13? The grittiness and bloodiness of the first 2 is now replaced by friendly "no blood" and definitely "no chopped off body limps" which makes this movie so much less thrilling. The opening scene with the steel line that doesn't decapitate them is truly laughable. And if Stallone could have his way with the finale, it would have been The Expendables 1 and Rambo revisited. Now that's some grittiness right there.

But again the finale is outstanding. smile

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2015
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Big Hero 6

Nice, but I expected much more of it. It's lacking the little ingenious dramatic highlights I usually get whilst watching an animated picture nowadays. Plus while Baymax was lovely, he again was lacking some sort of feeling.

Usually I'm more moved by these kind of pictures. Perhaps I'm getting old.

No, it's just not a very good movie. It starts off really well, and then grinds to a screeching halt.
    I had the same reaction to it as you did, and so, I think, did Alan and Steven.

RV: The Sting

Seen it before (of course), but WHAT a fine movie this is.
    Already being aware of the plot, I took some time taking in the story details, and it all fits SO neatly together!
    Aside from that, even if the massive convolutions should bore you (what I really cannot imagine, to be honest), the powerhouse cast -even the secondary characters- is uniformly so good that just the acting is an absolute delight to watch.

The attention to period detail is quite impressive as well. The set design really reflects the depression era: it looks properly vintage, but has this used, drab quality about it.

Excellent film. Just outstanding.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2015
    Would you believe it, I just came back from SPECTRE. It's a good film, I just want to have that on the record. I just don't picture myself participating much in the endless discussions that are about to ensue.
    I am extremely serious.