• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. RV: The Sting

Seen it before (of course), but WHAT a fine movie this is.
    Already being aware of the plot, I took some time taking in the story details, and it all fits SO neatly together!
    Aside from that, even if the massive convolutions should bore you (what I really cannot imagine, to be honest), the powerhouse cast -even the secondary characters- is uniformly so good that just the acting is an absolute delight to watch.

The attention to period detail is quite impressive as well. The set design really reflects the depression era: it looks properly vintage, but has this used, drab quality about it.

Excellent film. Just outstanding.

The Sting: All you said. The cast is a delight to watch and Hamlish' adaptation of Joplin's music is stellar.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2015
    Thor wrote
    Would you believe it, I just came back from SPECTRE. It's a good film, I just want to have that on the record. I just don't picture myself participating much in the endless discussions that are about to ensue.

I guess posting about the film in here and the score in the Now Playing thread is your way of not participating much in the endless discussions, though there is an easier way... wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015
    Captain Future wrote

RV: The Sting

Seen it before (of course), but WHAT a fine movie this is.
    Already being aware of the plot, I took some time taking in the story details, and it all fits SO neatly together!
    Aside from that, even if the massive convolutions should bore you (what I really cannot imagine, to be honest), the powerhouse cast -even the secondary characters- is uniformly so good that just the acting is an absolute delight to watch.

The attention to period detail is quite impressive as well. The set design really reflects the depression era: it looks properly vintage, but has this used, drab quality about it.

Excellent film. Just outstanding.

The Sting: All you said. The cast is a delight to watch and Hamlish' adaptation of Joplin's music is stellar.

Easily in my top 100 films. Just brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Martijn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Big Hero 6

Nice, but I expected much more of it. It's lacking the little ingenious dramatic highlights I usually get whilst watching an animated picture nowadays. Plus while Baymax was lovely, he again was lacking some sort of feeling.

Usually I'm more moved by these kind of pictures. Perhaps I'm getting old.

No, it's just not a very good movie. It starts off really well, and then grinds to a screeching halt.
    I had the same reaction to it as you did, and so, I think, did Alan and Steven.

Yes, I was pretty disappointed. I'd have quite happily sat through 90 minutes of Baymax shuffling around interacting with his environment and being kitted out with his suit. Once that was over and it descended into the uninspired and unoriginal (and very annoying) film it became, I more-or-less switched off.

But, the signs were there to see in the second trailer I saw. I was so keen to see the film after having seen the first trailer, but when I saw a subsequent trailer (which showed more of the story rather than just focusing on Baymax), it looked like a completely different film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2015 edited
    SPECTRE

Saw this last night. Really enjoyed it though the finale felt a bit flat.

Newman's score in context with the film was great though his action music is still meh.

Great to hear John Barry's arrangement of the Bond theme played at the end cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2015
    I just came back from the absolutely STUNNING film THE REVENANT which quickly rose to my no. 2 spot of the year! A purely visceral and immersive experience.

The music by Ryuichi Sakamoto et.al. is often quite dissonant and textural, but fits the film's tone like a glove. Reminds me a bit of Jonny Greenwood. There's also a glorious 'religious' cue in one of Leo's dreams.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2015
    A film I really want to see and I'm looking forward to hearing the score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015
    Sicario

Breaking Bad meets Homeland, and it's about as brilliant as you might suspect given that description. Best film I've seen this year.
  3. The score on that film is something else.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015 edited
    It is. I've been enjoying it ever since it was released. Although I didn't notice the guitar track that's on the album? Did that completely go past my bat, or was it not used in the film?
  4. Melancholia? It's over the end credits.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015
    Ah, then yes I did miss that. Good call to put that track in the middle of the album, as a sort of respite from the dark, brutal nature of the rest (which I love, I hasten to add).
  5. I also agree with you that Sicario is one of the best films I've seen this year, even if, among professionals, the script is a bit controversial. Luckily, what many would perceive as a fault (but the Black List didn't!), Villeneuve treated as a narrative challenge and gave us a piece of dark, relentless tension.

If you want to know what the controversy among professional writers was (it was the second script by an actor, the other one, actually chronologically his first, is in production right now) the fact that [spoiler]the protagonist changes by the third act and is passive. So basically we follow an observer and when the story is to be resolved, we end up following another character, who was participating in the action, but we didn't see his point of view that much before.[/spoiler]
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Best film of last year had the same script "flaw" -- Le Passe. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. I just saw the final episodes of the first season of STAR WARS Rebels. I take the occasion to announce that IMO this show is fucking awesome!

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2015
    Yay! Channel 5 serves up two bloody good films for an afternoons viewing.

Cromwell starring Richard Harris and John Wayne classic The Searchers cool
  8. The Searchers is great indeed. Among Wayne's strongest performances IMO.
  9. I will see "The Force Awakens" again tomorrow with my brother-in-law. In preparation we watched "Return of the Jedi" tonight. I saw it for the first time on BluRay. Very nice. For the first time in ages I saw the film German dubbed. I never before noticed, that the same voice actor - Arnold Marquis - that lends his voice to General Ackbar also is the German voice of John Wayne. biggrin
    Wicket is the cutest Teddy bear that ever battled a Galactic Empire.smile

Volker
  10. Captain Future wrote
    I will see "The Force Awakens" again tomorrow with my brother-in-law. In preparation we watched "Return of the Jedi" tonight. I saw it for the first time on BluRay. Very nice. For the first time in ages I saw the film German dubbed. I never before noticed, that the same voice actor - Arnold Marquis - that lends his voice to General Ackbar also is the German voice of John Wayne. biggrin

Volker

that's something I can't do at all, watch dubbed films. Whether it's in English, French or Japanese, a movie must be watched in the origin of the language. If I don't I keep bothering me to the not in sync lips and mouth.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. Well, in Germany watching films dubbed is the standard thing to do. I do so when films air on TV, I don't when I watch a DVD/BR. My brother-in-law isn't really fluent in English, so I did him a favour. I will see TFA in it's native English only on DVD because English screenings are limited to cinemas in big cities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I will see "The Force Awakens" again tomorrow with my brother-in-law. In preparation we watched "Return of the Jedi" tonight. I saw it for the first time on BluRay. Very nice. For the first time in ages I saw the film German dubbed. I never before noticed, that the same voice actor - Arnold Marquis - that lends his voice to General Ackbar also is the German voice of John Wayne. biggrin

Volker

that's something I can't do at all, watch dubbed films. Whether it's in English, French or Japanese, a movie must be watched in the origin of the language. If I don't I keep bothering me to the not in sync lips and mouth.

Same here. In Norway, we only dub children's films for obvious reasons (and even children's films also tend to show the original language versions somewhere). But I can understand that in cases like Germany, it's part of their culture and they're less bothered by it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015
    The Empire Strikes Back

I could take or leave the first one, and the third certainly has a few excellent scenes. But this is the perfect Star Wars film. Aside from maybe the weird Vader scene on Dagobah, it doesn't skip a beat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah, that's Vader scene on Dagobah almost stops the film dead. I get what they were trying to do with the scene but it's confusing and probably should have been left on the cutting room floor.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. But then we wouldn't have had the only time the maestro used synths (effectively too) in the original trilogy.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah, that's Vader scene on Dagobah almost stops the film dead. I get what they were trying to do with the scene but it's confusing and probably should have been left on the cutting room floor.

-Erik-

Couldn't disagree more. It's one of the best parts of the whole saga -- a rare forray into a more poetic film language. It's certainly THE iconic moment for me from EMPIRE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Absolutely. It's an absolutely vital and powerful scene in the film.
    Maybe not THE iconic moment in Empire -I could name several more iconic ones (the Star Destoyers, Cloud City, Vader's revelation)- but an essential part of the story, and a disturbing metaphor for Luke's state of mind. Even as a 11 year old seeing the movie I was grabbed by the power of that scene.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. Yeah, yeah but what about the electronics in that scene? I think they worked well, they give the confrontation and reveal more eerieness, especially because the sound was completely orchestral up to that point, and from then on too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Fully agree! I meant to mention that but forgot.
    Indeed that almost slowed-down theremin-like sound really adds to the nightmare state of the sequence.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  14. I'm with Thor and Martijn here. The scene is crucial and wonderfully foreshadows the climactic conforontation between Luke and Vader in "Jedi".
    As to the electronics: Williams carefully - and very effectively - adds synthesized sounds to his orchestral expressions in "Empire" and "Jedi". In the scene in question the electronic sound adds to the eerie otherworldly atmosphere. The tree is a place out of this world and the music reflects that.
    Also the "Tree of Evil" is important to show that where there is good there is evil. Dagobah is something like a natural Temple of the Force reflecting both sides. One source of the conflict is the schism of the Jedi, the dark Jedi breaking away and eventually forming the Sith. Thus the Force became unbalanced.
    Finally the tree is a great allegory of Luke's internal conflicts.
  15. Martijn wrote
    Absolutely. It's an absolutely vital and powerful scene in the film.
    Maybe not THE iconic moment in Empire -I could name several more iconic ones (the Star Destoyers, Cloud City, Vader's revelation)- but an essential part of the story, and a disturbing metaphor for Luke's state of mind. Even as a 11 year old seeing the movie I was grabbed by the power of that scene.

Plus the fact he could also 'slip' to the dark side rather easy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh