• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Has anyone here seen the HBO show 'The Wire'?

I just finished season 1 on blu-ray and it's fabulous... The depth of the storytelling and 3-dimensional characters and their individual motivations (of which not one feels tacked on or wasted) add to the deep storyline which is about drug trafficking in Baltimore and the police trying to combat it, with both the good guys and bad guys presented in ultra-realistic ways. They each have their own problems to deal with. I don't think I've ever witnessed so much attention to detail in a police drama before.

There's shit going on at every level of the food chain for both parties, and despite the show having this constant slow pace and not a whole lot of action going on, it never becomes dull or uninteresting. What's more, the writers deliberately do not spoon-feed the situations and character relations... it's up to the viewer to associate what's what, and reflect about what's really going on. Very sharp writing, directing and acting across the board.

Looking forward to the rest. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016
    Sheeeeeeiiiit!

Don't worry you'll get it eventually wink

Stay with it Gilles. Brilliant series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Sheeeeeeiiiit!

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016 edited
    I definitely will, I bought the box and this is not one that will take dust on a shelf somewhere. I see myself returning to it on a regular basis.

Okay, you guys make me curious with the Sheeeiiiit. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Has anyone here seen the HBO show 'The Wire'?

Yeah, it's only, like, the most-talked about show in the last 15 years or so! smile

I have no reason to go against the grain here. Brilliant from start to finish.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I was wondering if you didn't think it was "too wordy" and it's almost "anti-style"!

I still have last 5 episodes to watch... but I LOVE it with a passion.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016
    Never seen it. Man, I have a lot to catch up on. Still have to finish The Sopranos. That's how far behind I am
  3. Of the TV shows I have watched from start to end, these have been excellent, or at least worthy of sticking with it:

The X-Files, E.R., 24, Battlestar Galactica (remake), Fringe, Breaking Bad

I would consider E.R., Breaking Bad and The Wire (after one season) to sit at the very top. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I was wondering if you didn't think it was "too wordy" and it's almost "anti-style"!

Yeah, I suspected that before I started watching it, but that never happened.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Of the TV shows I have watched from start to end, these have been excellent, or at least worthy of sticking with it:

I would consider E.R., Breaking Bad and The Wire (after one season) to sit at the very top. cool

ER is my favorite, followed closely by 24 (for pure entertainment pleasure)
    I hope Game of Thrones (ended for now with season 2) and Walking Dead (for the moment at season 5) continue to deliver their magic in the upcoming seasons
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Oh yeah The Walking Dead is still on-going (finished season 5), but doesn't look be losing steam... It remains gripping and delivers more WTF moments than I can manage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016 edited
    By the way, I returned from TIFF (Tromsø International Film Festival) on Sunday. I only managed to see 10 films, but there were so many social things happening. The highlight, filmatically, was unquestionably SON OF SAUL. I also saw SPOTLIGHT -- the Oscar favourite -- and found it incredibly mediocre. I think it's one of those films where franz_conrad and I will be on opposite sides.

Saw these films (1-5 stars):

SON OF SAUL (Lázsló Nemes) * * * * *
    A MONSTER WITH A THOUSAND HEADS (Rodrigo Plá) * * *
    ROOM (Lenny Abrahamson) * * * *
    MANNEN FRA SNÅSA (Margreth Olin) * *
    LES COWBOYS (Thomas Bidegain) * * *
    FLOTEL EUROPA (Vladimir Tomic) * * *
    ANOMALISA (Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson) * * *
    TJUVHEDER [DRIFTERS] (Peter Grönlund) * * *
    SPOTLIGHT (Thomas McCarthy) * * *
    CRUMBS (Miguel Llansó) * *
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Of the TV shows I have watched from start to end, these have been excellent, or at least worthy of sticking with it:

ER is my favorite, followed closely by 24 (for pure entertainment pleasure)
    I hope Game of Thrones (ended for now with season 2) and Walking Dead (for the moment at season 5) continue to deliver their magic in the upcoming seasons

ER was my favourite show as a youngster. I loved it (especially since, at the time, I really wanted to be a doctor).

The later seasons - after Dr. Greene died - lacked something but I, too, completed it. Miss it actually.
  6. I was never much into doctor / hospital shows. But as a child l loved the Australian The Flying Doctors. Decades later I watched several episodes of House and quite liked them. For some reason I didn't follow the show closely.

My favorite "hospital" theme is Medical Center by Lalo Schifrin.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Thor wrote
    By the way, I returned from TIFF (Tromsø International Film Festival) on Sunday. I only managed to see 10 films, but there were so many social things happening. The highlight, filmatically, was unquestionably SON OF SAUL. I also saw SPOTLIGHT -- the Oscar favourite -- and found it incredibly mediocre. I think it's one of those films where franz_conrad and I will be on opposite sides.

Not so much. It's unintrusive classical direction (and it's important not to just
    mistake showier direction for more meaningful direction) but unlike other name-heavy films we tangle over (eg zodiac) the success of the journalists doesn't come at a high enough personal cost for there to be stakes here.

Surprised Room ranked so high for you though. I fell asleep in the second hour, after a riveting first hour. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. LSH wrote

ER was my favourite show as a youngster. I loved it (especially since, at the time, I really wanted to be a doctor).

The later seasons - after Dr. Greene died - lacked something but I, too, completed it. Miss it actually.

That's what the dvd's are for. smile

I don't think it ever became soap-opera-y, even in the later seasons, when most people felt the peak of quality episodes and character arcs was over. It remained engrossing and highly addictive right up to the end, and every season there were a couple of (new) characters and storylines that contributed to the general high quality. What's more the realism of the medical scenes always struck me as incredibly detailed. I don't have any medical training, but when I saw what I saw on that show, surgeons and E.R. doctors are miracle-workers that deserve the utmost respect. Working under such stress would make me bail out after half a day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Surprised Room ranked so high for you though. I fell asleep in the second hour, after a riveting first hour. wink

I agree that the first half was stronger than the second, and I have one main issue with the whole film -- that it failed to turn the knob in either direction; either towards a more gritty portrayal (one can only imagine what Michael Haneke would have done with a Fritzl-type story) OR towards an even MORE melodramatic approach, which would also have been better. Right now, it's a bit neither/nor. Which is weird, because Abrahamson absolutely NAILED the emotional tone in his previous film FRANK perfectly -- a film that made my Top 10 of 2015.

But that aside, there were so many other good things in it -- the kid was a find, as was the mother. I bought all the relationships. I actually DID like the fact that the second half dealt with consequences, as much as I would loved the entire film to be an isolation drama. For example that the new home is realized as a new prison, sort of, with all those bar-like structures (the white banisters etc.).

It borders between 3 and 4 stars, but since I was in a good mood, and since I like the director and the concept, I landed on 4.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. All good points.
    I should see FRANK. it passed me by.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. Brother Bear (2003)

Not the best Disney, but in a way it's the movie Brave (of Pixar) had to be. The score of Mancina truly works in context, but man did those songs suck.

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    All good points.
    I should see FRANK. it passed me by.

I didn't like FRANK very much. Somehow I lost interest during the second half of the movie.

Saw THE REVENANT yesterday and was amazed by how it looked like. So many stunning shots and some very intense spectacular scenes. Beautiful photography. The opening scene is fantastic, as well as ... well all of the action sequences. There's a constant dark and tense atmosphere. You never feel at ease because the forest is constantly making uncomfortable sounds and noises. Very creepy. ANd then there's the music, half of it is part of the soundscape I think (it could be a David Julyan score!), that often freaked me out. I think it's a great film but I was a little bit disappointed by the half hour before the finale. Also the expectations were so high.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2016
    As I expected, I enjoyed The Force Awakens much more in 2D!
    I found it easier on the eyes, I thought it was easier to take in the scenery (3D tends to draw me to the middle of the screen or where the action is), which I enjoy for a better overview, AND things really look bigger!
    I have no idea how that works, but in 3D I really find things seem to contract somehow.

Now the Starkiller base and its orbiting Star Destroyer looked MASSIVE! Positively HUGE!

That aside, DAMN, this is a fine bit of film making.
    Taut, tight direction, beautiful photography, a lovely cast, entertaining dialogue.
    Even aside from the fact that it's love Star Wars love I enjoy the Dickens out of this film

But taking into account that it IS Star Wars, that X-Wing assault on the Order forces attacking Maz's palace (accompanied by Williams' wonderfully heroic Resistance theme) is my spine-tingling 'wow'-moment. Absolutely adore that scene!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. I saw the film two times in 3D in theaters that belong to different chains and that use different projection techniques. I found Cineplex vastly superior to Cinemaxx (for those living in Germany). Any such experiences here or elsewhere?

Volker
  12. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

There are a lot of things I like about this film. Had they given the villain another name and another backstory and had they just made one ore two fan serving hints at Khan, they would have had a truly great Trek film on their hands. They would not have had any need of magic blood either.
    Of Giacchino's score I love every second.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016 edited
    Had they scraped all references to previous Star Trek films, it would have served the film much better. I can forgive the first for doing it, it's supposed to be a transitional story for new and old audiences. But they seemed to take that idea too far with the sequel, ending up paying lip service to the fans at the cost of the story. This sequel makes the first film's plot appear Oscar worthy, which is quite an achievement.

The one good aspect of Nimoy's death is he won't be used as a McGuffin ever again. But I imagine that would have been the least of the third film's issues.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. The best aspect of these new Treks is Karl Urban doing his damnedest best to play Bones as Bones should be played: in that trademarked Deforest Kelley way. Worth a watch just for that. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The cast are superb, it's just a shame they aren't given better material. One of the few saving graces of this franchise was Abrams' deft ability to keep you interested in what's happening on screen despite the nonsensical plot. Now that we've got Mr. Fast and Furious directing the third, all hope is essentially no where to be found. At least we'll get another great score by the ever-professional Giacchino.
  14. Well I like the F&F movies, so for me it can actually turn out pretty good. Don't dismiss the fifth one, it's a GREAT action flick ! cool

But yeah, JJ has a knack for injecting a sort of energy or dramatic weight, despite how ludicrous the script may be. (Lost, anyone?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    The best aspect of these new Treks is Karl Urban doing his damnedest best to play Bones as Bones should be played: in that trademarked Deforest Kelley way. Worth a watch just for that. biggrin

AB-SO-BLOODY-LUTELY.
    With a mint julep.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016
    yeah

...as well.