• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I saw absolutely NOTHING to be offended by. It was rather wry, it made me smile.

I really like Martin Freeman in interviews. He doesn't take the whole 'show business' thing very seriously, which is a sign of a smart man.

Up to a point. Beyond that it's a sign of not being professional.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. plindboe wrote
    Sherlock

Anyway, can't wait for the third episode tonight!

Peter smile

Yes. This is "must-see" viewing tonight in this house. Sherlock has been great to watch.

(As has the new series of The Bridge. The other "must see" show at the moment.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014
    justin boggan wrote
    I saw the early showing, slightly cheaper in other words, today of "Lone Survivor".

I saw the film last night ...
    Really gripping stuff , it had me on the edge of my seat ...
    Those guys went through hell !

A must see in my book ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I kind of like what they did with Moriarty; he's essentially such a super-genius that it's driven him batshit to be surrounded by such ordinary people. All that immaturity and such is the result of him being completely stir-crazy.

I doubt someone as crazy as that can run a global crime syndicate. If he can't even have a conversation without making silly voices, trying to sound scary and acting like every badly acted film villain in existence, his highest possible achievement in life would probably be as a bum.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Incidentally, allow me to ruin your day. As much as I love his acting, my liking for Martin Freeman has taken a severe blow upon seeing this. Really really bad taste, dude. slant

That didn't ruin my day, but I appreciate the effort. wink If he was being serious I'd somewhat agree with him. Her face just looks weird to me.

But while he wasn't overtly comical, the words he was saying is meant to be comical on their own. Most people for some mysterious reason consider her to be beautiful, so to call her ugly is such a sharp contrast that most people will find it funny.

Also, in these interviews actors often rip on each other like that, because they all know each other and they know it won't be taken serious.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Sherlock

Anyway, can't wait for the third episode tonight!

Peter smile

Yes. This is "must-see" viewing tonight in this house. Sherlock has been great to watch.

Indeed! And there will be a fourth season, so there's more to come. punk

Shame I'm not in England for the moment, as I'll have to wait until someone uploads it to www.watchseries.to before I can watch it. *sigh*

FalkirkBairn wrote
    (As has the new series of The Bridge. The other "must see" show at the moment.)

Never really got into that one. My mum has watched the entire series though. I've watched a couple of episodes with her, but since I haven't watched it from the beginning and don't know the characters that well, it doesn't do much for me. She's also a big fan of 'Game of thrones', which I bet few mums in this world are.

Peter smile
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Incidentally, allow me to ruin your day. As much as I love his acting, my liking for Martin Freeman has taken a severe blow upon seeing this. Really really bad taste, dude. slant

Erm...

I don't care. Even if that was a joke, he delivered it so deadpan that it's still bad taste.

I know I'm posting this on a message board devoted to obscure hobbies, but... who has the time to watch the videos on that site? That would seem an incredible waste of time. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You raise an excellent point!
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Erm...

I don't care. Even if that was a joke, he delivered it so deadpan that it's still bad taste.

I know I'm posting this on a message board devoted to obscure hobbies, but... who has the time to watch the videos on that site? That would seem an incredible waste of time. dizzy

I saw it on YouTube but was unable to find it again there, so I just did a general search and this was the first thing that popped up... tongue
  5. Character assassination withdrawn. cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Best Marvel film yet, I think.

Nope! That's THE AVENGERS.

This.

And although I enjoy Iron Man 3 more, I'd say the original Iron Man is second, then Iron Man 3, then Thor 2. The rest are rather meh.
  6. Well, Steven Moffat has again managed to put his self-indulgent, back-slapping spin on another show. Tonight's Sherlock was a fast-paced ride bordering on the incoherent.

If found the end of this third series to be an overwhelming disappointment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Best Marvel film yet, I think.

Nope! That's THE AVENGERS.

You mean The Avengerz ? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I kind of like what they did with Moriarty; he's essentially such a super-genius that it's driven him batshit to be surrounded by such ordinary people. All that immaturity and such is the result of him being completely stir-crazy.

I doubt someone as crazy as that can run a global crime syndicate. If he can't even have a conversation without making silly voices, trying to sound scary and acting like every badly acted film villain in existence, his highest possible achievement in life would probably be as a bum.

Edmund Meinerts wrote

That didn't ruin my day, but I appreciate the effort. wink If he was being serious I'd somewhat agree with him. Her face just looks weird to me.

But while he wasn't overtly comical, the words he was saying is meant to be comical on their own. Most people for some mysterious reason consider her to be beautiful, so to call her ugly is such a sharp contrast that most people will find it funny.

Also, in these interviews actors often rip on each other like that, because they all know each other and they know it won't be taken serious.

Peter smile

Boy i agree! She looks like a foot, this man's got higher in my appreciation level! wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Well, Steven Moffat has again managed to put his self-indulgent, back-slapping spin on another show. Tonight's Sherlock was a fast-paced ride bordering on the incoherent.

Oh good, I have this to look forward to tonight.
  7. I would be interested to know if anyone feels the same as I do about this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Well, Steven Moffat has again managed to put his self-indulgent, back-slapping spin on another show. Tonight's Sherlock was a fast-paced ride bordering on the incoherent.

Oh, I thought it was excellent. One of my favourite episodes. I quite enjoyed Lars Mikkelsen as the bad guy (brother of Mads Mikkelsen, btw). [spoiler]I like that Mary had to shoot Sherlock to save his life, that was clever writing, and I liked the emotional aspect of John finding out that she was a liar and the reconciliation, and in combination with the great baddie, I couldn't help but enjoy myself immensely. Oh, I also love the whole conversation that Sherlock and Mycroft has after the Christmas do ("Are you two smoking? It was Mycrof" biggrin); the acting, the clever writing, the hilariousness of that scene; pure Sherlock.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]One thing I didn't like though was was the long hallucination sequence thing. I've never liked dreams and hallucinations in films and TV. And that Sherlock turned into that kid at the end, was a bit over the top. It was of course to show that Mycroft still viewed Sherlock as his little kid brother, which might have been great, but it rubbed me the wrong way somehow. Oh, and I expressed my feelings about Moriarty earlier, so his return isn't very welcome. I like though that he outsmarted Sherlock and we thought that he was gone, which shows what a difficult foe he is. But my dislike of the actor's performance makes me wish he would have stayed dead.[/spoiler]

Peter smile
  8. ^ White mice in the snow ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I would be interested to know if anyone feels the same as I do about this.

They have ruined the show.

That was the most incomprehensible, poorly written, confusing, thinly plotted rubbish I have seen in a long time.

Moffat has lost it. His ego has gone right to his head. Has he done the same thing with Dr. Who?

And to top it all off they decide to bring back a dead character. What a complete sell out.

I can't believe it only took two episodes to kill it, and I just wish I could understand why the reviews are calling it great. I'm angry.

Edit: best review I've seen - this says what I'm trying to say but much better.

I have been so disappointed by this third series, and this last episode was the epitome of its problems. The individual stories have been sacrificed in favour of "drama". The damage is twofold. On the one hand, the mysteries, and Sherlock's solving of them, always the strongest point of the franchise, have completely fallen by the wayside. This episode didn't even have a case to solve! And on the other hand; the drama just isn't very good. I've only seen Watson's wife for two episodes, so making her a secret assassin who coincidentally wants to kill the same guy Sherlock is after is completely gratuitous, unimpressive, and unmoving, not to mention ridiculous! Sending Sherlock out of the country at the end of the season? Again? Moriarty is back? Again? For goodness sakes, you can only pull this stuff once before it becomes tedious and devalues any of the drama. The writers have become a slave to their own egos. By focusing on "mythology" and "arcs", especially in seasons only 3 episodes long, they've displaced everything that was good about the show - namely Sherlock and Watson, working on a bizarre and intriguing mystery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014 edited
    yeah

It's not just me then?

Sherlock's sleuthing was always the best part of these shows (and in the stories too!) and I liked the energy with which the crimes were solved. I really liked the first episode of this short third series - even though they didn't really explain how Sherlock ACTUALLY survived the final show of series 2. And I gave credit to the writers that I didn't even care.

Last week's episode was a bit unsettling in that it concentrated on the lives of the characters rather than solving crime but the episode was saved with Sherlock's speech and the sleuthing in that.

But the final episode was just completely incomprehensible and, as you say, devoid of any sleuthing.

There are definitely parallels to Doctor Who in the way that Sherlock went.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014
    Watched the first episode of Sherlock again. This is just perfection from start to finish. No wonder I was disappointed by the second episode, considering how brilliant the first one was.

Rating: 10 outta 10

Was also curious to find out what all this Doctor Who stuff was about. I watched the first episode of the first series (2005) and found it rather poor, boring and amateurish.

Rating: 2

Perhaps I'd have better luck with the tenth doctor...? Think I'll watch the first episode of series 2 and see how it goes.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014
    I watched Sherlock 2.01 - A Scandal In Belgravia last night. This is so much better than anything in season three.
  9. plindboe wrote
    Was also curious to find out what all this Doctor Who stuff was about. I watched the first episode of the first series (2005) and found it rather poor, boring and amateurish.

Rating: 2

That first episode is pretty bad. Don't worry, it gets better. And then worse again, and then a whole lot better, and then really awful, and then meh-okay-ish, and then brilliant...What I'm trying to say is, Doctor Who jumps around in quality like no other show I've ever seen, often from episode to episode. You have to have patience with it and wait for the next gem like "Blink" or "Midnight" to come along - or, from the first season, "Father's Day." Hell, even the second episode, "The End of the World," is leaps and bounds beyond the first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
    Thanks Edmund. I don't think I will watch the entire series 1, partly because I didn't really like that doctor, but I will watch the two episodes from it that you mention. I've watched the first episode of the 2nd series and found it ok, but didn't enjoy it all that much (rating: 6). I'll give series 2 a chance, but if I don't come to like it, I'll just watch the ones you've mentioned and be done with Doctor Who.

Anyway, I just watched Heavy metal. I don't understand why this has cult status as I was immensely bored throughout. The only positive is that the babes in this films were some of the sexiest cartoon characters I've ever seen. I'd like to see more cartoons with women like that, but preferentially cartoons with a good story.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't understand the cult status of Heavy Metal either. Great GREAT score by Elmer Bernstein though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Anyway, I just watched Heavy metal. I don't understand why this has cult status as I was immensely bored throughout. The only positive is that the babes in this films were some of the sexiest cartoon characters I've ever seen. I'd like to see more cartoons with women like that, but preferentially cartoons with a good story.

Like this?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote

Like this?

100% spot-fucking-on!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014 edited
    Quite enjoying Doctor Who now. Thanks Edmund for convincing me to stick with it. The second episode of season 1 was indeed much better than the first one, and the Father's Day episode was very good and sad. I haven't watched more from season 1, but am watching season 2 now and I find the episodes so far rather entertaining. The ending to The girl in the fireplace was super sad too, and the music was perfect.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014 edited
    LA GRANDE BELEZZA (The Great Beauty)

Thor and a colleague of mine coincidentally talked about this movie the past week so I decided that I wanted to see it in spite of the rather weird timeslot it has here in Ghent. Turned out to be one of my rather great ideas lately!

I thought it was fantastic. Some movies leave an impression much longer and this is such an example. Of course there's the beautiful images and scenes in Rome, with a camera travelling through the corridors and most beautiful corners of palaces and historic buildings in this city. The bizarre opening gets everything right and it takes a few moments before it made any sense to me. We get the introduction to Jep and then follows a his search for the great beauty. With some sort of short flash forwards and often past paced camera movements the director introduces other stories in the main story. Fascinating. Some of it is surreal, some of it contain great dialogue (or monologue) by the main actor which are a joy to see.

And then obviously the music choice. Lots of Thor music I think. Very vocal, religious like and hypnotizing music. I see there's a playlist on Spotify. The highlights are David Lang's I Lie, Arvo Part's My Heart's in the Highlands, John Tavener's The Lamb and most certainly Vladimir Martynov's The Beatitudes. I had not heard most of them before so it's great to get to know more music. And then there's some party music too! Last time I was so impressed with music choice (non film music) and images was Tree of Life (I think).

Anyhow enough bla bla. I realize that my English vocabulary is a bit limited above because I use the same words I use in other of my opinions. I'm sure that Michael, Bob and Thor will be able to describe it better. smile

Anyhow it's worth seeing. For me it is the sense of awe it leaves me with. And if not, then at least you get a damn beautiful movie to look at. Oh, and the main character has the best roof terrace in the world. The scene with the flamingo's is one of those you'll remember for a long time. smile
    Kazoo
  10. plindboe wrote
    Quite enjoying Doctor Who now. Thanks Edmund for convincing me to stick with it. The second episode of season 1 was indeed much better than the first one, and the Father's Day episode was very good and sad. I haven't watched more from season 1, but am watching season 2 now and I find the episodes so far rather entertaining. The ending to The girl in the fireplace was super sad too, and the music was perfect.

Peter smile

beer

Ooh, I'd forgotten about "The Girl in the Fireplace" - excellent episode! That's one of Steven Moffat's...his individual episodes while Russel T Davies still ran the show are all fantastic. From the same season you have "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit" double-parter to look forward to as well. You also have "Love and Monsters" which is an easy candidate for the worst episode of Who I've ever seen (it starts out promisingly and then just completely careens off the cliff in the second half).

Keep us updated. It's rather entertaining to watch someone react to the ups and downs of Doctor Who... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014
    Bregt wrote
    LA GRANDE BELEZZA (The Great Beauty)

Thor and a colleague of mine coincidentally talked about this movie the past week so I decided that I wanted to see it in spite of the rather weird timeslot it has here in Ghent. Turned out to be one of my rather great ideas lately!

I thought it was fantastic. Some movies leave an impression much longer and this is such an example. Of course there's the beautiful images and scenes in Rome, with a camera travelling through the corridors and most beautiful corners of palaces and historic buildings in this city. The bizarre opening gets everything right and it takes a few moments before it made any sense to me. We get the introduction to Jep and then follows a his search for the great beauty. With some sort of short flash forwards and often past paced camera movements the director introduces other stories in the main story. Fascinating. Some of it is surreal, some of it contain great dialogue (or monologue) by the main actor which are a joy to see.

And then obviously the music choice. Lots of Thor music I think. Very vocal, religious like and hypnotizing music. I see there's a playlist on Spotify. The highlights are David Lang's I Lie, Arvo Part's My Heart's in the Highlands, John Tavener's The Lamb and most certainly Vladimir Martynov's The Beatitudes. I had not heard most of them before so it's great to get to know more music. And then there's some party music too! Last time I was so impressed with music choice (non film music) and images was Tree of Life (I think).

Anyhow enough bla bla. I realize that my English vocabulary is a bit limited above because I use the same words I use in other of my opinions. I'm sure that Michael, Bob and Thor will be able to describe it better. smile

Anyhow it's worth seeing. For me it is the sense of awe it leaves me with. And if not, then at least you get a damn beautiful movie to look at. Oh, and the main character has the best roof terrace in the world. The scene with the flamingo's is one of those you'll remember for a long time. smile

I think you described it well enough, Bregt! For me, the fascination was in the 'classical' references on one hand (Fellini, Bunuel, Resnais, Antonioni) and then the somewhat 'vulgar' aspect on the other -- like that crazy SPRING BREAKERS-like party following the opening you describe (tied together with a loud scream!). There are so many details in this film -- on a purely audiovisual level -- that symbolize a lot of different things, it's impossible to take it all in in one sitting. It's certainly a film that can warrant several pages of analysis.
    I am extremely serious.