• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014 edited
    Agreed with all that's been said about LA GRANDE BELLEZZA. For me, those final moments has many images that remained stuck in my head after seeing the film.

Bregt, for any 'continued viewing', be sure to check out Fellini's ROMA. Sorrentino was obviously influenced by this work from Fellini and I think you can call his LA GRANDE BELLEZZA a new, updated chapter within that same concept. It's basically a succession of scenes around the city of Rome, exploring its historical roots, religious (Catholic) character, its relation to prostitutes and modern politics (well, when it was made in 1972). It may not have the same outright and hypnotic beauty, but it's certainly recommended (also, it's worth it for just the wonderfully absurd fashion show by the Vatican on itself!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    I don't understand the cult status of Heavy Metal either. Great GREAT score by Elmer Bernstein though.

I still love the Taarna segment ...
    The very first time I had a crush on a sexy cartoon character ... biggrin
    Elmer's music in that segment is just plain wonderful !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BobdH wrote
    Bregt, for any 'continued viewing', be sure to check out Fellini's ROMA. Sorrentino was obviously influenced by this work from Fellini and I think you can call his LA GRANDE BELLEZZA a new, updated chapter within that same concept. It's basically a succession of scenes around the city of Rome, exploring its historical roots, religious (Catholic) character, its relation to prostitutes and modern politics (well, when it was made in 1972). It may not have the same outright and hypnotic beauty, but it's certainly recommended (also, it's worth it for just the wonderfully absurd fashion show by the Vatican on itself!).

Will do certainly! I have never seen a Fellini film. One has to start somewhere so great to have an idea what to expect now.

Has anyone seen other films by Paolo Sorrentino?
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote
    BobdH wrote

Will do certainly! I have never seen a Fellini film. One has to start somewhere so great to have an idea what to expect now.

I am familiar with a number of Fellini's Films: La Strada, La Dolce Vita; 8 1/2, Satyricon, Roma, Amacord ... I love Nino Rota's scores for these films.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Bregt wrote
    LA GRANDE BELEZZA (The Great Beauty)

Thor and a colleague of mine coincidentally talked about this movie the past week so I decided that I wanted to see it in spite of the rather weird timeslot it has here in Ghent. Turned out to be one of my rather great ideas lately!

I thought it was fantastic. Some movies leave an impression much longer and this is such an example. Of course there's the beautiful images and scenes in Rome, with a camera travelling through the corridors and most beautiful corners of palaces and historic buildings in this city. The bizarre opening gets everything right and it takes a few moments before it made any sense to me. We get the introduction to Jep and then follows a his search for the great beauty. With some sort of short flash forwards and often past paced camera movements the director introduces other stories in the main story. Fascinating. Some of it is surreal, some of it contain great dialogue (or monologue) by the main actor which are a joy to see.

And then obviously the music choice. Lots of Thor music I think. Very vocal, religious like and hypnotizing music. I see there's a playlist on Spotify. The highlights are David Lang's I Lie, Arvo Part's My Heart's in the Highlands, John Tavener's The Lamb and most certainly Vladimir Martynov's The Beatitudes. I had not heard most of them before so it's great to get to know more music. And then there's some party music too! Last time I was so impressed with music choice (non film music) and images was Tree of Life (I think).

Anyhow enough bla bla. I realize that my English vocabulary is a bit limited above because I use the same words I use in other of my opinions. I'm sure that Michael, Bob and Thor will be able to describe it better. smile

Anyhow it's worth seeing. For me it is the sense of awe it leaves me with. And if not, then at least you get a damn beautiful movie to look at. Oh, and the main character has the best roof terrace in the world. The scene with the flamingo's is one of those you'll remember for a long time. smile

To describe it better I'd have to see it first, and at this lamentable date, that is yet to happen. I notice it gets a cinema release in Sydney soon. I'll be there in a flash.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    BobdH wrote

Yes, I've seen IL DIVO (2008). That didn't too much for me, I'm afraid (a political satire/biopic type thing) -- even though Toni Servillo (Jep from LA GRANDE BELEZZA) is good in the title role.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I believe LA GRANDE BELLEZZA is the first time Sorrentino does this sort of thing. His previous film, English language debut 'This Must Be The Place' with Sean Penn is also something completely different.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014
    Eric wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I don't understand the cult status of Heavy Metal either. Great GREAT score by Elmer Bernstein though.

I still love the Taarna segment ...
    The very first time I had a crush on a sexy cartoon character ... biggrin
    Elmer's music in that segment is just plain wonderful !

It's beautiful. and AWESOME! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. A documentary on "Batman: The Animated Series":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJgNUWgx__A

It was pretty neat to hear some of the actors talk about seeing the first completed episode. Mark Hamil went on about how awesome it looked and how amazing the score was. Also, while mentioning Mark, he was, as they stated in the documentary, the only actor to stand and deliver his lines (as the Joker), to give the character more oomph and feel.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2014 edited
    The Blacklist

Just watched all of this. Took a while to grow on me, but by the end I was hooked. The last two episodes were fantastic. Looking forward to the next season.

Edit: ah, that isn't the whole season, just half, before a break. I forgot about how peculiar American television scheduling is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2014
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

This one was a bit predictable and generic but still entertaining enough .
    Chris Pine is ok but don't expect Harrison Ford there ... wink
    Keira Knightly looked out of place , she is capable of more and better .
    Kenneth Branagh is convincing as the Russian Villain and also does a competent job behind the camera .
    Too bad about those bloody shaky camera takes during some of the action sequences .
    Grrr , I hate those ! sad
  4. How are Costner and Doyle?

Knowing the novels, I will be happy if basically Pine pulls off a more brooding twist on his Captain Kirk. Believe it or not, it's not far from the Clancy character.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes. Make shaky-cam go away. It had it's place but is used inappropriately a lot these days.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    PawelStroinski wrote
    How are Costner and Doyle?

Knowing the novels, I will be happy if basically Pine pulls off a more brooding twist on his Captain Kirk. Believe it or not, it's not far from the Clancy character.

Costner is ok , but like Keira he looked a bit underused in this .
    The score by Doyle is growing on me since I saw the film .
    Even my son loved the music and he's no film score fan , except for the Star Wars soundtracks .
    My son said it resembled game score music ... wink

Timmer wrote
    Yes. Make shaky-cam go away. It had it's place but is used inappropriately a lot these days.

Yeah Tim , let's ban those shaky-cams ! Let's start a petition ! wink
    I like to see who's fighting who in my films and not guess ! biggrin
  5. I think people should take a look back at the 1970s to see how to do hand-held right...
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think people should take a look back at the 1970s to see how to do hand-held right...

Amen to that brother ... wink
  6. People should take a look back at the 70s anyway ...

:feels surge of nostalgia:

wink Volker
  7. Eric wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think people should take a look back at the 1970s to see how to do hand-held right...

Amen to that brother ... wink

Ironically, while pushing the boundaries of "visual legibility", the films which started the hand-held fashion are, also story-wise, a throwback to the 1970s.

In the 1980s and 1990s hand-held camera work, excluding some very notable examples (the name that first crops up in my mind would be, actually, Michael Mann), was somehow forgotten, but if you look back at things like the original Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 or French Connection, that amount of grit (and, while at that, social observation) brings a lot, I believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    People should take a look back at the 70s anyway ...

Some great men were born in the 70s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Currently going through all seasons of OZ. If I'm not mistaken, this was the first series from HBO that ushered in the new 'quality' era in television, especially from the channel (even before THE SOPRANOS). It's a really grear show, totally addictive, even though you hardly ever move outside the prison walls. Loads of violence, nudity & coarse language, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. A German documentary about the beginning of Word War I. It was scored with War Horse (Williams) and The Thin Red Line (Zimmer). I found both decisions a bit awkward. I think I had preferred some contemporary classical music. How do you feel about such application of film music?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As long as they've paid for the rights, I guess it's OK. Also, I would need to see the scenes in question to decide whether it worked or not. But I usually prefer original music for that kind of stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    A German documentary about the beginning of Word War I. It was scored with War Horse (Williams) and The Thin Red Line (Zimmer). I found both decisions a bit awkward. I think I had preferred some contemporary classical music. How do you feel about such application of film music?

Volker

I suppose that to those who don't normally recognise the source of film music used in documentaries it won't really matter. For us who know when a piece of music is tracked into a documentary, it's difficult not to recall where the music comes from and how the music was used originally. Personally, I find myself thinking how appropriate the music, taking the scene from which the original music was taken and seeing how this compares with the scene it is being placed in.

In shows such as Top Gear, I lose concentration on the programme because I'm playing "spot the theme tune" rather than listening to what's being said.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2014
    LINCOLN ( 2012 )

Has anyone else here seen it or posted a review of it? My gods but this was TEDIOUS, WORDY and too full of self important WORTHINESS.

What a borefest, I'll never regain that 144 minutes, LINCOLN now joins Warren Beatty's REDS as the most tedious, overwhelmingly boring film I've ever had the un-pleasure to sit through.

Awful, truly fucking awful. JOHN WILLIAMS score didn't help either, every time his "worthy" bleeding music piped up I wanted to shout at the screen SHUT THE FUCK UP!

I think you can tell I was VERY irritated by this whole movie
  10. Not even a good word about Day-Lewis' performance?

I found I liked it more than I thought I would, really.
  11. Lincoln: Film and score have one thing in common: They are brilliant. The film is one of the most captivating character studies I have seen in years.

Timmer, you should have moticed you saw the wrong film when the vampire showed up.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't seen that silly-arse vampire film though I'm sure it's far more watchable than Spielberg's life-sapping time stealer.
  12. Timmer wrote
    I haven't seen that silly-arse vampire film ...

Neither have I.
  13. I thought Day-Lewis's transformation was amazing, but I was bored to death by the film. The first time we tried to watch it, my wife and I both fell asleep. We made it through on the second attempt. I wish it had been biographical instead of a story of the passage of a constitutional amendment, important as that was. I was unimpressed with the film and certainly wouldn't see it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow, I thought it was one of the ten best films of 2013! I wasn't totally blown away the first time -- too much information communicated through dialogue (and I usually hate that) -- but I've seen it a couple of times since and it's really grown on me, especially because it manages to communciate the spielbergian traits despite the dialogue-heavy material. Kaminski's photography is fantastic, as is Williams' score and Day-Lewis' performance, in particular.
    I am extremely serious.