• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2014
    Boy Thor, you're on extremes as always wink Emmerich and Bay now have arthouse ideology? I'd give you that for Scott of course, both Ridley and Tony, but those two and arthouse in the same sentence? Ppaallease. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Boy Thor, you're on extremes as always wink Emmerich and Bay now have arthouse ideology? I'd give you that for Scott of course, both Ridley and Tony, but those two and arthouse in the same sentence? Ppaallease. wink

Not 'arthouse' in the strictest sense of the word, maybe, but definitely in the sense that they prefer to nurture film's ability to communicate EXPERIENCES through sound and images, rather than being obsessed with characters and story all the time.

That particular aspect is shared by more traditional arthouse directors and those big blockbuster directors with a 'vision', even though they may be different in all other aspects.

That's also why I think directors like Emmerich and Petersen and Bay and Snyder etc. are HUGELY underrated as artists.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote

But mostly, he's like himself. He's interested in the effects that disasters in any given shape have on the human psyche and group dynamics. Especially if you can stage that with.....wait for it......some great AUDIOVISUAL ideas, of which there are plenty.

You've got to be kidding me. Have you seen more than one film by him? The charactersw are paper thin, practically one demensional and the exploration of any human psyche or groupd dynamics, is weak if even explored seriously at all. And I cant' recall a time he broke new ground in any of those areas.

And so what if it's in combination with audio and visuals? Tehre's a phrase for that can of horse hockey: "Style over substance".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. This is an argument that is doomed to be repeated for pages on end.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2014
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote

But mostly, he's like himself. He's interested in the effects that disasters in any given shape have on the human psyche and group dynamics. Especially if you can stage that with.....wait for it......some great AUDIOVISUAL ideas, of which there are plenty.

You've got to be kidding me. Have you seen more than one film by him? The charactersw are paper thin, practically one demensional and the exploration of any human psyche or groupd dynamics, is weak if even explored seriously at all. And I cant' recall a time he broke new ground in any of those areas.

Yes, I've seen everything that he's done. Big fan.

You're (mostly) right about the characters etc., but that's part of the deal. It's all about the SPECTACLE, baby!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I actually agree with Thor. People don't primarily go to cinemas to watch story. They go there to experience things that are presented as stories. But the low bar that the storytellers are required to jump over in their presentation of the real experience is pretty telling. Lace your set pieces together in a basic arc plot (sometimes even without the arc in action films -- see most of Bond's history), and people won't hold you to account for weak characterisation. Particularly those international audiences.

People don't go to cinemas to watch story. They download 50-60 minute chunks of it with an HBO logo in front of it, and enjoy it at home. This is also why the detective genre - among the most plot-heavy of story forms - largely migrated off cinema screens to the TV screen.*

* Note: this doesn't mean I forgive Norwegian film nuts who don't appreciate a good marriage of cinematic form and the detective genre. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Zodiac are transcendent cinematic experiences Thor, your tolerance for fictional details be damned. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2014 edited
    I think my point may have been a little confused. Just to elaborate, I'm talking about an idealised, strictly "visual" movie which literally has no script to tie any of the visuals together. It's just a series of moving paintings, which in a sense is how the mighty Thor seems to appreciate films. (This relating to my point that movies are not shown in art galleries, but rather cinemas.)

When I say "people go to watch a story", what I mean is they expect a story. Most people do not want some abstract experience, but rather a straight forward story which is inevitably told through a mixture of visuals, audio (AUDIOVISUALS!), and dialogue.

So although cinemas are largely enjoyed as a type of theme park ride where explosions and cgi sell more tickets than complex characters, if a film has a bad story or a bad script, people tend to notice that regardless of how impressive the visuals are. We want a good story, we want to be invested in the characters.

No amount of impressive imagery will save a film. Ever. Not one single film. If it has a bad script, it fails.
  4. To be a bit of a devil's advocate here. How will you explain the success of Michael Bay?

Thor likes to invoke Ridley Scott, but except his decline after Body of Lies (which I find a bit underrated), he tended to have quite decent written material, even if sometimes literally created while filming (Gladiator). Alien, Blade Runner MAY feature audiovisual ideas and symbolism going beyond the story, but what's on paper is quite strong nonetheless in the first place.

His brother Tony however... You could always (well, almost) count on very good filmmaking technique, but as we say in Poland, you could count good scripts directed by him "on the fingers of one hand" (True Romance, maybe The Last Boy Scout, Crimson Tide, Spy Game and Man on Fire, that one severely underrated).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To be a bit of a devil's advocate here. How will you explain the success of Michael Bay?

Easy. Because explosions and cgi sell more tickets. But people remember films like Jurassic Park and Star Wars because the impressive visuals actually tell a decent story thanks to a good script (or at the very least, a solid enough script to support the visuals without ruining the experience).

But even dumb films have scripts, and people wouldn't go to the cinema to literally see a series of action scenes without anything to relate them to one another (unless you're watching a showreel, but that's not what cinemas are for). There has to be some kind of thread to tie it all together, even if it's a weak, insipid thread in this case. (But then this is why Bay's movies suck.)

Just to elaborate for the umpteenth time, I'm not saying film isn't a visual medium, it is. That's why I love it. But no matter how much a film is about spectacle, we expect or at least hope those visuals actually relate to a decent story. This is my point, though I didn't realise it was a particularly controversial view! dizzy

But then I think we're talking cross paths here, hence the incredulity.
  5. Lack of character development is the one great malus in films by either Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich. I don't care too much for story coherence or elese I wouldn't be such a big STAR WARS fan. (Speaking about all six films, mind you.) But the characters have to be plausible and likable. Plus there has too be some grandeur to the story other than grand visuals.
    In TRANSFORMERS or IE4 peolpe are just randomized victims. This can be an interesting starting point (Spielberg's WAR of the Worlds). But if you don't care for any of the characters, w.t.h.?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    This is my point, though I didn't realise it was a particularly controversial view! dizzy

I'm slightly surprised at the ongoing discussion as well! dizzy
    To my mind the horse Steven is flogging is quite dead.
    He's passed on.
    This horse is no more.
    He has ceased to be. He's expired and gone to meet his maker. He's a stiff. Bereft of life, he rests in peace.
    If you hadn't tied to the cart he'd be pushing up the daisies. His metabolic processes are now history. he's off the twig. he's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible.
    This is an ex-horse.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    To my mind the horse Steven is flogging is quite dead.

Let's have a MainTitles BBQ!

Who wants the leg?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No thanks.

Who wants the cock and balls?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'd love some coq au vin!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Do you want me to send you a recipe? wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Even more so than that actual dish, the opportunity for shameless double-entendre here is positively delicious!
  6. I just saw Captain America - The Winter Soldier. It's more a thriller than a super hero movie and it's quite entertaining. The story bears some similarities to the last James Bond entry. The score is servicabel but largely anonymous. Good film.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    I think my point may have been a little confused. Just to elaborate, I'm talking about an idealised, strictly "visual" movie which literally has no script to tie any of the visuals together. It's just a series of moving paintings, which in a sense is how the mighty Thor seems to appreciate films. (This relating to my point that movies are not shown in art galleries, but rather cinemas.)

When I say "people go to watch a story", what I mean is they expect a story. Most people do not want some abstract experience, but rather a straight forward story which is inevitably told through a mixture of visuals, audio (AUDIOVISUALS!), and dialogue.

So although cinemas are largely enjoyed as a type of theme park ride where explosions and cgi sell more tickets than complex characters, if a film has a bad story or a bad script, people tend to notice that regardless of how impressive the visuals are. We want a good story, we want to be invested in the characters.

No amount of impressive imagery will save a film. Ever. Not one single film. If it has a bad script, it fails.

I think I agree with much of what you say, but also disagree with your premise. If that's possible.

Storytelling is not necessarily the top priority for directors like Bunuel, Antonioni, Tarr, Godard or Angelopoulus. Sure, there IS a story there in many cases, but the focus is on other aspects of the artform entirely.

In some strange way, there's a link between these socalled arthouse directors to certain directors in Hollywood that subscribe to more experience-related forms of moviemaking. To take AVATAR as an example (a film I know is loved by the both of us). It's very much a story-driven thing, but it's waferthin. As others have pointed out repeatedly, it's basically just a pastiche of Pocahontas and whatnot. Nothing terribly original whatsoever. Instead, it's ALL about immersing the spectator in the universe of Pandora. In that way, it has more in common with theme rides than filmmaking, IMO.

I think this is where you and I depart the most radically about what film IS or CAN BE, Steven.

Of course, I love a good story and a pair of well-developped characters as much as the next guy, but I'm even MORE fascinated by directors who make films driven by AUDIOVISUALS! Art galleries for the WIN! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2014 edited
    As Martijn says, I'm flogging a dead horse and I think I've made something very basic needlessly convoluted. But let's continue.

I understand what film is and can be. (It can literally be anything.) But "movies" are inherently about stories, whether through imagery or dialogue-- usually both. Yes, there is always going to be intrinsic value to a well shot scene. Yes, film is a visual medium. But the images make much more impact when they're not only relevant to the story, but the story itself is compelling enough to warrant the imagery. And this is where I think you get me confused. For example, I could go out today and shoot all sorts of beautiful imagery. Depending on how good my camera is and how skilled a photographer I am, these images will have value. But do you think anyone would pay to see it in the cinema?

By all means enjoy AUDIOVISUALS on their own merits. All power to you. But 'good' films -and this is my whole point- are generally not considered 'good' purely on the merits of how 'pretty' they look, even if it's an important aspect of moviemaking. This is why Michael Bay can't make a good movie, because he only understands how to fill a shot with as much shit as possible - which is admittedly fun to look at in small doses, but ultimately insipid. (Michael Bay is not some misunderstood genius, he's a dumb jock with a bit of technical skill.)

FYI, I neither love nor hate Avatar. I love the score though.

…I still have some ribs left if anyone wants some?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2014
    Alright, sorry for the misunderstanding regarding AVATAR. We both love the score, but I obviously love the film more than you do.

I think we are fundamentally in opposition as regards to the place of story in filmmaking as an artform, so I doubt there's much to be discussed in that area.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Yesterday's Dr. Who version of Fantastic Voyage was quite enjoyable. Peter Capaldi looks like he's going to be a good Doctor and, perhaps even better, the storyline made time for some introspection for the Timelord.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I watched Luc Besson's Lucy last night. I though it had some big gaps in the plot and I can't say I enjoyed it too much. If I had to grade ii, it would be a 6 out of 10. The funny thing is that while commenting on the film with my bf he said he would give it a 6 normally but after 1,5 hours of watching Scarlett Johansson it will have to be an 8! It made me laugh! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Stavroula wrote
    I watched Luc Besson's Lucy last night. I though it had some big gaps in the plot and I can't say I enjoyed it too much. If I had to grade ii, it would be a 6 out of 10. The funny thing is that while commenting on the film with my bf he said he would give it a 6 normally but after 1,5 hours of watching Scarlett Johansson it will have to be an 8! It made me laugh! smile

This is my favourite film of the year. 10 out of 10 for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014
    I wonder what Hitchcock would say??
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To be a bit of a devil's advocate here. How will you explain the success of Michael Bay?

The way you explain pop hits. People are dumb.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The way you explain pop hits. People are dumb.

WORD!

Never, NEVER, underestimate the ability of a cretin to be a moron.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yesterday's Dr. Who version of Fantastic Voyage was quite enjoyable. Peter Capaldi looks like he's going to be a good Doctor and, perhaps even better, the storyline made time for some introspection for the Timelord.

I hope I'll come to like Capaldi more. Tennant had tons of boyish charm and was funny and excitable, Smith was funny too and was quirky and socially clumsy and Capaldi has...well... big eyebrows....

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2014 edited
    Personally, I like the more serious Capaldi. I had grown tired of the quirky, whimsical nature of Tennant and Smith. Sure, there's still quirk, but more laidback and tough. A bit like Jon Pertwee.

I think this casting choice was very wise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2014 edited
    Capaldi is a fantastic actor who could easily live up to and exceed expectations, if - hopefully - he gets good scripts to work with. Those who watched Torchwood - Children Of Earth or The Thick Of It know what he´s capaldible of. He will get to you sooner or later, I´m sure about that.

RV: Guardians Of The Galaxy - German Dub
    I´ll add that extra info because I think I would have enjoyed it even more in its original language. It´s a hell of a ride with a lot of humour, a couple of great ideas, some nice twists, and a good score, but... you could feel exactly where they had problems with the translations. Some lines just don´t roll as easily as they probably do in the original. But hey, that´s what BluRays are for.

Beside that, it has a machine-lasergun-wielding racoon and a talking tree. So what am I complaining about?!

Also...

RV: Penny Dreadful

Watch. This. It´s Timothy Dalton starring opposite an otherwordly Eva Green, who should get an Emmy for this (but won´t, of course), along with some fantastic veterans (David Warner) and other lovable actors (Josh Hartnett, Billie Piper, and many more) in a gothic horror setting that easily outclasses everything remotely similar that has been on TV recently (yes, I´m looking at you, Sleepy Hollow, Salem, and even NBC´s Dracula, which I did like a lot, and no, I haven´t seen American Horror Story, yet, so bear with me on this).

If you must know more, think League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. For TV. And well done. Once you´ve seen it, you will change your mind about the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I didn't care very much for GUARDIANS and PENNY DREADFUL didn't quite grab me either, even though it's OK. There are so many great tv shows these days that the bar is set very high.
    I am extremely serious.