• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Captain Future wrote
    Let me add AFTER EARTH.

No I won't let you add that pile of shit. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Let me add AFTER EARTH.

Sadly it's true for most films we have seen in recent years' science fiction renaissance.

Is it good? I enjoyed the afore-mentioned films but never got around this one 'cause of the very poor reviews and that Willis' son that i can't stand, at all.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Let me add AFTER EARTH.

No I won't let you add that pile of shit. tongue

[edit]

I think Edmund covered my question then, i just turned page and saw this wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's shite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That film can fuck off and when it gets there it can fuck off some more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....well, it's not THAT bad. I saw it for the second time awhile back and it was certainly better than my first exposure. The beginning is very good, for example. I'd give it a 3 out of 6.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014
    My oh my i had all the good intentions i wanted to watch it etc. But that Willis dude, come on bro, come on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    He, he....well, it's not THAT bad. I saw it for the second time awhile back and it was certainly better than my first exposure. The beginning is very good, for example. I'd give it a 3 out of 6.

3 out of 6.

....out of 6.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This thread is getting increasingly confusing. Not just Thor's rating system, but by all the mention of the "Willis kid" and "Willis dude" who apparently appears in After Earth.

I need to sit in a darkened room for a while, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's very simple. D is obviously referring to this. There could be no other logical explanation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's a shite film. I award it 17 stars (out of 341).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am referring to the spoiled brat that is Will Smith's kid. (appears i got an extra unnecessary 'i' in there wink)
  2. Btw, I found ELYSIUM to be a much better film than the other films mentioned here. The story, its disposition and the conclusion wasn't too original, but overall I found the film well executed and entertaining. I thought that it had a disting 70s scifi feel to it. I can't remember anything about the music. In esrlier years this film might have been scored by Jerry Goldsmith.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

3 out of 6.

....out of 6.

He, he...yeah, that's how we do reviews in Norway for the most part. By the eyes of a dice.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Btw, I found ELYSIUM to be a much better film than the other films mentioned here. The story, its disposition and the conclusion wasn't too original, but overall I found the film well executed and entertaining. I thought that it had a disting 70s scifi feel to it. I can't remember anything about the music. In esrlier years this film might have been scored by Jerry Goldsmith.

I thought Elysium's score was pretty bad and was surprised at the level of tolerance that a lot of reviewers seemed willing to give it. The least I expect from a derivative score is to provide some kick-ass guilty pleasure material to overcome that (like Oblivion did), but Elysium doesn't even do us that courtesy.

The film had some interesting concepts but it lost a lot of points for all that shaky-cam. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Loved Elysium the film. The score was way below District 9's level and quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014
    How To Train Your Dragon 2

Excellent! I was worried that it was going to fall into Generic Sequel Syndrome after the first section of the film, and I suppose it did in some respects (i.e. the generic bad guy), but it pulled itself up in the last act with its truly impressive visuals and feel-good ending.

Not as good as the first (it's a sequel, after all), but it's a worthy addition. Loved it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, I loved the nod to Godzilla.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014 edited
    Just saw Godzilla. I thought the Ford character was completely without charisma and depth and acting ability and it kind of ruined it for me; and his robotic behaviour was such an extreme contrast to his über-emotional (and better acting) girlfriend and this made it all the more grating to watch. [spoiler]When Heisenberg snuffed it, I found it a real downer, since he should have been the hero of this film.[/spoiler]

But the monsters were cool. If it were up to me all films would have giant monsters.

Rating: 6 outta 10

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    "Scotland Yard Inspector" was a early 50's take off of sorts on the "Thin Man" series and starred Cesar Romero and a very young Lois Maxwell and we know what happened with her. There are an entire series of Kit Parker/VCI releases and some of the music is not bad at all but I fear all of that material was likely destroyed.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. David has got into watching a Channel 4 series from 2004, Green Wing, a hospital-based comedy that's very difficult to describe what it's actually about. Weird is a good starting point. I'd forgotten just how funny it is.

Mark Heap as Dr. Alan Statham is especially funny, particularly his Confiscatio (Secundo Tempurae), orgasm and his recorder dance.

The score, by Trellis (Jonathan Whitehead), is quite weird too in places.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
    Green Wing is fantastic. It's like Scrubs, but more weird and less up its own arse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
    Been to the cinema twice in two days now, both at the Cinemateque. Yesterday was Terry Gilliam's THE ZERO THEOREM, today was Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD. Both excellent films for wildly different reasons.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014
    "Without Warning" (1952) billed as a noir but not one had music by Herschel Burke Gilbert as the composer who went on to do a lot of television material. For a 'B' movie this is ranked as one of the better ones.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  5. Under The Skin

I was keen to see this film after hearing Mica Levi's mesmerising score. I knew before going into the film that there wasn't much of a narrative, and in a way, it's better to leave any sense of regular film storytelling with the DVD box, but I found the film quite riveting. Part of the interest to watching the film was to hear how Levi's score fits in with the movie. The score does make a bit more sense after having watched the film and the 5-minute featurette on the music which featured some of the ideas and thematic devices featured in the score.

I get the feeling that what's on the album is a lot more than what finally made it into the film. And having now seen the film, that experience in no way diminishes my opinion that Levi's score is one of the strongest of the year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014
    That's some coincidence, Alan! I just saw that film yesterday, and loved it. Superb performance by Johansson and some fantastic visual ideas. I also dug Levi's score in the film (especially the 'plucked strings' stinger in the underwater scene -- small stuff like that sets it apart from other thriller scores). I'm still not too keen on the score on album, but it was PERFECTLY used and spotted in the film itself.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    That's some coincidence, Alan! I just saw that film yesterday, and loved it. Superb performance by Johansson and some fantastic visual ideas. I also dug Levi's score in the film (especially the 'plucked strings' stinger in the underwater scene -- small stuff like that sets it apart from other thriller scores). I'm still not too keen on the score on album, but it was PERFECTLY used and spotted in the film itself.

The score was certainly used very sparingly - and, apparently, Levi initially went in with music that was much "fuller" and - bit by bit - it was stripped back to what it is now. She felt that, if she had have gone in with the sparsity that's in the final score no-one would have wanted it.

I love the whole musical universe of the album and I need to go back-and-forth a bit between album and film to get a better sense of the ideas used. And that "stinger", I almost jumped out of my skin ( wink ) when I heard it!
  7. Another thing that I'll say about Under The Skin is that it's so blooming dark. I suppose because there's very little artificial light used in the filming then, if a lot of the scenes are filmed at night or in derelict buildings then things are going to be a bit gloomy.

And there's little sense of this when you watch some clips on the 'net - I think that people must hike up the brightness just so that things can be seen in the clip. It would have been much better to see this in the darkness of the cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014
    Great film of much impact and deep meanings. Score works wonderfully in there, hair-raising and very effective.
  8. I could make a case that that was the standout film of the year. The meeting with the 'monster' that comes halfway through is really quite a scene.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am