• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ironically, that remake (the 2002 film, scored by Klaus Badelt) was actually directed by a direct descendant of the author.

I know. Shame on him.

What both films also have in common is Australian lead actors.

The interesting bit is that he was one of the directors behind The Prince of Egypt, one of my favourite animated films ever.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Probably a lot of it has to do with Badelt's very enjoyable score, which came along quite early in my film music collecting.

Yeah, THE EDGE is a great score! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Are they so similar? I should look that one up then, as I absolutely adore Badelt's work on The Time Machine (which I always found more Karl Jenkins-ish than anything else).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Oh, they are very similar. Erik said once that The Edge was in the temp.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's not a good movie and certainly not a good adaptation, but I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the 2002 The Time Machine, Lord knows why. Probably a lot of it has to do with Badelt's very enjoyable score, which came along quite early in my film music collecting.

Yeah, I love the original but also like the remake despite all it flaws. The Badelt score is great although compiled from Goldsmith and Adiemus and whatnot. Like the original film, its score by Garcia also is a classic.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love Garcia's score.

I didn't like Badelt's score at the time but I quite enjoy it now. The Edge is very much there but I also agree with you guys on the Karl Jenkins feel.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    What remake?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine_(2002_film)

I wouldn't bother.

Oh, I know. I was doing a thing. biggrin

But to be honest, all I remember about the film is a very white Jeremy Irons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh, they are very similar. Erik said once that The Edge was in the temp.

Indeed it was.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Are they so similar? I should look that one up then, as I absolutely adore Badelt's work on The Time Machine (which I always found more Karl Jenkins-ish than anything else).

It's not really the scores themselves that are similar, it's just the main theme from The edge that was used by Badelt. Badelt changed the melody and the orchestration somewhat so one can still enjoy it as an independent piece, but even with his changes I think that his theme has a very strong Goldsmith vibe. Most of the rest of Badelt's score has other vibes and are completely different from The edge, so don't expect the scores to be that similar.

Listen here and then here.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I see, well, rather hear , what you mean, Peter.
    Illuminating, thanks!
    A clear issue of temp-tracking, indeed, and very well reworked by Badelt.

I'll have a listen to The Edge, but from what I hear here and from your words I doubt very much it'll make one iota of difference for my appreciation of Badelt's fantastic work.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And the temp track for the opening scene of The Edge (where Goldsmith's theme really soars) was..?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    ...since there's the risk of tumbleweeds passing through this place at a rate unseen other than in Justin's mystery scores thread, it was Last of the Mohicans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    ...since there's the risk of tumbleweeds passing through this place at a rate unseen other than in Justin's mystery scores thread, it was Last of the Mohicans.

The hell you say?!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I went to a talk in London in 1997 with Goldsmith and the director. They showed that scene with the temp and with the Goldsmith score to show how effective music can be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But The Edge doesn't sound anything like Last of the Mohicans... does it?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014
    No, it doesn't. Goldsmith said it didn't work and he would do something different that would be better. Director Tamahori said he thought he knew something about film music until Goldsmith kept proving him wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ah, Ok.

lol

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Fuck off.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    said the Thunderer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    and downed another keg of mead.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In one!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...while opening the next keg with his teeth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llqeh … o1_400.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Know thy literature, boy!
  4. Cinema doubleheader. Just seen The Imitation Game and now off to see Interstellar. I don't think the latter can match the former. The Imitation Game was excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    I see, well, rather hear , what you mean, Peter.
    Illuminating, thanks!
    A clear issue of temp-tracking, indeed, and very well reworked by Badelt.

I'll have a listen to The Edge, but from what I hear here and from your words I doubt very much it'll make one iota of difference for my appreciation of Badelt's fantastic work.

yeah to everything.

It's one of those temps that, despite being pretty clear, doesn't really detract for me. I think Badelt changed enough to call it his own. Then again, I think I'm more lenient with influences than most...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    He changed a few notes here and there but the model is still the same. Can't stand it.

-Erik-