• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

STAR WARS

It's been two or three years since I last saw this film. It's utterly brilliant in just every aspect. In just every singele minute of its duration. But, hey, I'm bringing coals to Newcastle here, ain't I? smile
    I was in the right mood tonight and the film captured me as it did a long time ago.

Volker

The last good film to be directed by George Lucas.

FACT.
    sleep
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2015 edited
    Currently two movies about famous Englishman (?) in the cinemas here; The Imitation Game and Mr. Turner. I know Alan has seen the latter and was very positive about it (but I also heard it was not as accurate as it (I?) was meant to believe) and I heard nothing but good things about Mr. Turner. Has anyone seen the latter?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2015 edited
    Then your experience is opposite to mine. I have heard nothing but NEGATIVE reviews of MR. TURNER from those in my circle (film journalist colleagues etc.), even going so far as calling it one of the worst movies of the year. That's why I've steered clear of it -- plus I've never been a fan of Mike Leigh in the first place.

THE IMITATION GAME I'm quite curious about. Both because the story fascinates me and because it's directed by a Norwegian.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Mr. Turner has 97% on Rotten Tomatoes - yeah, I know it's not smart to use that as a be-all end-all, but I seriously doubt anything that can get 97% would be one of the worst movies of the year in any way, shape or form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2015
    The criticism basically circled around the fact that it was INSANELY overrated.

I'll probably get to it eventually, so that I can judge for myself. But I often trust my colleagues' taste in films.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I'm told it's more visually interesting than a lot of Leigh's work. Although Spall's performance looks like variations on the one look (watch the trailer), I'm sure it will be good.

IMITATION GAME is solid, if a bit neat. Hard to believe WWII needs that much explaining, even 70 years on.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Bregt wrote
    Currently two movies about famous Englishman (?) in the cinemas here; The Imitation Game and Mr. Turner. I know Alan has seen the latter and was very positive about it (but I also heard it was not as accurate as it (I?) was meant to believe) and I heard nothing but good things about Mr. Turner. Has anyone seen the latter?

Just to clarify, I have seen the former, that is, THE IMITATION GAME. An excellent film despite its inaccuracies (I'd go to Bletchley Park for the factual information).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Indeed Alan, I meant The Imitation Game (I switched the movies in my text but forgot to edit 'latter').

Bletchley Park is something from the movie I guess?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Indeed Alan, I meant The Imitation Game (I switched the movies in my text but forgot to edit 'latter').

Bletchley Park is something from the movie I guess?

Bletchley Park is something from real life.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy

I felt well entertained for two hours. This film has the vibe of those 80s sci-fi b-movies. In some moments I had recolections of an old guilty pleasure of mine: The Ice Pirates. Well, no space herpe this time. wink

Tyler's score worked fine in context. I hope he'll flesh out the melodic parts of it in the sequel.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2015 edited
    Ambition, a film by Tomek BagiƄski, is a short film produced in association with the European Space Agency and the aim of the film was to try to engage the general public in the ESA's recent Rosetta Mission to a comet.

"The short film tells the story of one of the most important space exploration endeavours of this decade. Just as Aidan Gillen’s enigmatic Master encourages Aisling Franciosi’s Apprentice to seek out the key to life amidst a rugged alien landscape, ESA has been on a decade-long ambitious journey of its own, to unlock the mysteries of a comet and the origins of our Solar System with its Rosetta spacecraft, hundreds of millions of kilometres from Earth. "

http://youtu.be/32vlOgN_3QQ

It's a visually stunning little film, aided nicely by Atanas Valkov's score. It's well worth 7 minutes of your time.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2015 edited
    First time I've seen this Monty Python sketch. From a special they did for German television, so it doesn't have the usual laugh track, which I must admit I kinda miss. Anyway, hilarious sketch and Michael Palin is brilliant!

Peter biggrin
  6. German showmaster Alfred Biolek contracted the Pythons for the public TV channel WDR after the Flying Circus show was finished in Britain. It seems, the sketches they did for the WDR aren't that well known in Britian. There have always been some copyright issues surronding these sketches. My favourite one is Football Philosophy

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2015
    Indeed, that one is hilarious, Volker. It's probably most famous outside of Germany for being included in the film Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl; same with the Silly Olympics which is perhaps my favourite bit from Fliegender Zirkus. 100m for Runners with No Sense of Direction, 1500m for the Deaf, 200m Freestyle for Non-Swimmers and Marathon for Incontinents. Brilliant!

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2015
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm told it's more visually interesting than a lot of Leigh's work. Although Spall's performance looks like variations on the one look (watch the trailer), I'm sure it will be good.

IMITATION GAME is solid, if a bit neat. Hard to believe WWII needs that much explaining, even 70 years on.

I have seen The Imitation Game now. I thought it was very good! Everything is there to make it a perfect Hollywood drama. A tragic story about an unlikely hero. I heard about the inaccuracies but with movies that aim for Oscars, you can expect to have added drama and freedom of the writer. But even besides all that ciricism, it's a lovely film to watch.

It's unbelievable that this person that leaves such a legacy ends up in such a dire situation due to a retarded law.

Next week Mr Turner.
    Kazoo
  7. I agree with Michael on Turing's assessment. Cumberbatch plays him as an Asperger. And it's one of the most complex Asperger characters in mainstream (at least) history. He's a fully-fledged human being, though somewhat socially awkward, Not a socially awkward machine, which tends to have human flesh, as it's often depicted. Cumberbatch shows Turing to be more than a sum of his symptoms.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2015
    Oh and the music is super! Lots of Ghost Writer atmosphere in the calmer passages. The main theme is a keeper.
    Kazoo
  8. The cue "U-Boats" from Imitation Game is particularly close to The Ghost Writer's feel (especially at 1:08, I keep expecting that bass flute theme to kick in!). Desplat does this kind of quietly propulsive "intrigue" really well, I think - it's one of my favorite modes of his.
  9. Yeah, it's a blend of Herrmann with more modern minimalist trends, a bit of a "Bernard Glass" approach, if you will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015 edited
    HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON
    What a cool movie again. The visual flair of these two movies is what attracts me most. There's so much going on, with beautiful landscapes and colours, ... And the story isn't bad either. Classical tale but with a cool vibe and fast paced tempo.

Powell's score is definitely intense and fantastic but I feel it got less attention or was a less prominent than in the first movie. Nonetheless, the Dragon Racing cue is awesome!
    Kazoo
  10. Yeah, in film, Powell's score doesn't make as much impact the second time around. The first one had several phenomenal key scenes that were carried by the music and visuals alone ("Forbidden Friendship", "Test Drive" and "Romantic Flight" in particular) - the second one doesn't really have that. Which isn't to say that the score isn't still outstanding both in and out of context.
  11. Don't forget the "See You Tomorrow" sequence! There were so many excellent opportunities for the score to shine in the first film. Their best chance for one of those moments in the sequel was the flight near the beginning, but instead of letting Powell go wild they scored it with the Jonsi collaboration, which is ok as an end credits piece, but I wish Powell had scored that scene on his own. The flight with mom and funeral scenes were two placed where the score was more prominent, and Powell nailed those. I would love to hear how he would have scored that flying scene right after the Dragon racing. It seems like that would have the perfect place to prominently introduce a new theme for an older Hiccup or something.
  12. Just now on German TV

Star Trek TNG: All Good Things (1994)

What a great farwell to an outstanding show.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2015
    Better than all the films put together.

(Actually, putting the films together would just worsen matters.)
  13. I actually liked First Contact quite a lot.
  14. I like them all more or less. TMP right through DARKNESS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I actually liked First Contact quite a lot.

There were some good things about First Contact; the new ship, the new uniforms, the Borg and of course the music. But it was let down by a nonsensical script, as is usually the case.
  15. Give me spaceships, visible laser beams, sound in space, and I don't care for the script. cheesy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ^LIKE!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    I like them all more or less. TMP right through DARKNESS.

Me too. Except most of the ones that came after 6.