• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015
    I love Event Horizon. Creepy as hell. Event Horizon and Sphere would make a great double bill.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I was thinking of that film while I was watching Event Horizon. I think Sphere's the far better film, score included.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sphere is another film I only saw once and wasn't impressed. The score on the other hand is fabulous and I've just realised I've not played it for ages.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Brilliant score. Not just one of my favourite Goldenthal scores, but one of my favourite scores. (It's Goldenthal though, so it'll either be something you're not in the mood for, or the precise thing you're in the mood for.)
  1. That's right. Also what else you say about the film. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015 edited
    Yes, SPHERE is wonderful and extremely underrated.

Steven wrote
    Event Horizon

The only worthy thing this awful director has done.

Far from it. I think EVENT HORIZON is indeed his best work, but he's done lots of other great things too. Have you seen his debut film SHOPPING, for example? Superb stuff (Jude Law's debut, btw) -- a film with attitude and visually interesting things. Extremely ambitious, artistically.

Also dig SOLDIER, ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, POMPEII and a couple of the RESIDENT EVIL movies (they're hit and miss). I've recently seen my remaining gaps in the PWSA filmography, so I'm most definitely a fan!

Not so good: MORTAL KOMBAT, the remaining RESIDENT EVIL movies, DEATH RACE (although I dig its kinda 'gung ho' MAD MAX aesthetics), THE THREE MUSKETEERS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015
    I didn't like Event Horizon very much but I do like Sphere rather a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015
    I've seen The Theory of Everything and loved it. It's such an incredible story.
    The ending was surprisingly well done.
    And I cried like a baby.

Still want to see The Imitation Game soon.

Oh and last night I watched Ten Things I Hate About You on Netflix. Forgot how pretty Heath Ledger was!! These movies are perfect for solo watching, not special enough for 'family movie time', but perfect when bored and tired between ten and twelve pm. We upgraded our account so the four of us can Netflix all at once hahah.
  2. Channel-hopping and came across Star Trek's 'The City At The Edge of Forever'. A great episode.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Channel-hopping and came across Star Trek's 'The City At The Edge of Forever'. A great episode.

One of the best in fact.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I have the TOS DVDs here in my place. I was thinking about what episode to watch tonight. "The City ..." is a good suggestion. Certainly I'll not watch "Spock's Brain".

When I was little Spock's pointed ears were my mother's synonym for science fiction in general. Whenever she entered the living room while me watching TV, she would ask: "Well, watching pointed ears again?" smile

Volker
  4. I just watched the new TMNT film. This makes the second time in recent memory that Brian Tyler wrote a score that I thought was pretty good, but that I then hated after watching the film, which was so unbelievably stupid that everything associated with it is now ruined. (The other time that happened was with NOW YOU SEE ME.) I cannot even begin to tell you how awful that TMNT movie is.
  5. I've never been able to fathom that line of thinking. It's not Tyler's fault the movie is bad, nor does the movie's being bad somehow magically make the music itself worse...
  6. Well.. think of the situation like this (with some not-so-playful exaggeration, but the thinking process is a similar one). When you had a traumatic experience, anything resembling that experience, even objects connected to it may trigger a stress/fear response. So consider the situation like the movie was so bad that it was a traumatic experience. Even if the score itself was good... it reminds of the traumatic experience. Aesthetic PTSD, if you want.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Or like when the food you eat just before vomiting becomes something you won't eat anymore because it now makes you think of being sick. The music for me is now inescapably attached to something awful. Before I had seen it the music was a thing apart, but now that I've seen the film (and thus heard that theme in context 300+ times), I now associate that theme with images and dialogue and acting that is forehead-smackingly bad. I can't hear that theme anymore without tying it to its awful film.
  8. I don't tend to have such negative reactions to bad movies, so that's just not a problem for me.
  9. I've been watching a bunch of episodes of the 1982 to 1986 series "Ripley's Believe it or Not!", starring the late Jack Palance.

What great fun. And hearing all that nice scoring, is good, too. A wonderful theme by Mancini (though that last season arrangement/peformance ruins it).

Palance absolutely loves to play up his role.

I'm slowly but surely making my own listing for the series -- with the links on youtube:
    http://www.tvscoring.150m.com/Ripleys.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015 edited
    Volker wrote:
    When I was little Spock's pointed ears were my mother's synonym for science fiction in general. Whenever she entered the living room while me watching TV, she would ask: "Well, watching pointed ears again?"

My parents called me Spock when I was a child.

This is why: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 2ebd4ac43f
  10. Bregje wrote
    Volker wrote:
    When I was little Spock's pointed ears were my mother's synonym for science fiction in general. Whenever she entered the living room while me watching TV, she would ask: "Well, watching pointed ears again?"

My parents called me Spock when I was a child.

This is why: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 2ebd4ac43f

smile What a cute little Vulcan baby!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2015
    Exodus: Gods and Kings

Doesn't get a great score on Rotten Tomatoes, but I found it quite entertaining. Fine performances by the two leads, particularly Rameses, and naturally it looks incredible. My appreciation of the score (which is quite good) has neither increased nor diminished. I like it now just as much as I did before seeing the film. Fancy that.

Moral of the story: Yahweh's a dick.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2015
    Isn't "he" in hell yet?
  11. Just saw Stargate back on blu-ray this weekend: man it remains a great film. I love the characters here, and even the native folk are endearing. Shows what propper emotion can do to a film. But of course it helps when such thundering music plays in the background. Man, what a score by Arnold. punk

Place average White House Down or 2012 wallpaper music on it, and you'll experience the movie differently. Hell put 10.000 BC on it and you'll get the picture. sad

Bring back bombastic melodic thematic music in blockbusters crazy crazy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015 edited
    I love STARGATE too, but then again I'm a Roland Emmerich buff. The score is equally fantastic (arguably Arnold's finest hour). I'd be curious to see a BR transfer, though. I don't think I've seen the film in at least 15 years.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    I love STARGATE too, but then again I'm a Roland Emmerich buff. The score is equally fantastic (arguably Arnold's finest hour). I'd be curious to see a BR transfer, though. I don't think I've seen the film in at least 15 years.

I have the blu-ray version, and it has the extended version as well wink

It's not bad cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

I have the blu-ray version, and it has the extended version as well wink

It's not bad cheesy

I can imagine!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015
    I just came back from seeing EX MACHINA for the second time already, and it hasn't even premiered in Norway yet -- unquestionably my favourite film of the year so far, slightly in front of the brilliant horror film IT FOLLOWS.

If it gets to you, go see it!
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    I just came back from seeing EX MACHINA for the second time already, and it hasn't even premiered in Norway yet -- unquestionably my favourite film of the year so far, slightly in front of the brilliant horror film IT FOLLOWS.

If it gets to you, go see it!

I'm hearing good things about It Follows, gonna check it out someday
    And the trailer of EX Machina doesn't look too bad either
  14. I watched the BBC documentary HADRIAN (2008), narrated by Dan Snow, on German TV tonight. They used some great orchestral music at the beginning that I know but can't place. There are snippets from that film on the net, just not the beginning, so I can't post a link. Damn! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2015
    Interstellar

As a physics nut, there was much to critisize this film about. As a film fan, I loved it. The docking scene might just be the best scene from any film from 2014 (that I saw).
  15. Agreed. That scene was excellent.