• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015
    I'm so shocked by these comments, my monocle fell out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I believe the technical term for it is "total bag of shite"

Fact! Both me and Paul Calf agree with you. BAG O' SHITE!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Steven wrote
    I'm so shocked by these comments, my monocle fell out.

I'm so shocked you have a monocle that I nearly dropped my pocket watch. Luckily I have it on a chain guard.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I think Arnold's score is more fun than Desplat's but the latest Godzilla is a better film. Complicated, I know, but you'll get your head around it eventually.

Much love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015 edited
    98 Godzilla: Very funny "bad" movie, both intended and by accident, which is even more funny. Shitty characters, but Reno is a blast. So funny. Bad Godzilla movie, good monster movie. Music is great.

14 Godzilla: Very serious movie and so much better for it. Shitty characters. Missed the Reno-style comic relief. Meh. Music is great. SOUND is spectacular. Honours the mythology a lot better than Emmerich's. Plus, I was really surprised about the fact that [spoiler]it wasn't just about Godzilla. When that other monster came out of that sinkhole at the power plant's ruins, I was on the edge of my seat, thinking, WTF is that?!? I expected a soldiers vs. Godzilla movie, and got a Godzilla & soldiers vs.[/spoiler] Holy Craps. That made it for me.
  2. SPY - it's utter rubbish, though the idea is a decent one - and i now fear the new Ghostbusters will be even worse than i imagined, unless you like swearing as a replacement for intelligent comedy dialogue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015
    Swearing = Noise pollution more often than not.
    It has its place at certain times but I really miss the days of old where clever, sophisticated comedy concepts and dialogue without the need of profanity was the norm. Now it's TV shows, movies and stand up routines using as many swear words and bottom-of-the-barrel base "humour" as possible thinking it's clever!
    Bah!

I know I sound like a raving old man but I'm not! Well, a tad maybe.
  3. I agree. Profanity is no substitute for wit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015 edited
    The BBC's The Thick Of It is one of the few exceptions. Clever and very sweary comedy at it's finest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    LSH wrote
    The BBC's The Thick Of It is one of the few exceptions. Clever and very sweary comedy at it's finest.

That, and HBO's Deadwood, where profanity is truly elevated to the level of Shakespeare accidentally hitting his thumb with a hammer.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    LSH wrote

That, and HBO's Deadwood, where profanity is truly elevated to the level of Shakespeare accidentally hitting his thumb with a hammer.

I'm not entirely sure I understand this. confused

I don't.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Meditate on it. It'll come to you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    LSH wrote

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Martijn wrote
    LSH wrote

I LOVED Deadwood, but wasn't a fan of the amount of swearing. i think it could have been halved and it would have been more effective. My one problem with it was that everyone swore in almost exactly the same way, which doesn't really happen in real life. It was just a bit tiresome (for me). Although i swore like a trooper when it got cancelled. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2015
    DEADWOOD was great, but the dialogue was a little too 'literary' at times. Very complex, and almost impossible to understand unless you have subtitles. Didn't really mind the swearing, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I never mind swearing on TV and film because I swear a lot more myself, in real life. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Deep Impact dir. Mimi Leder

Was on TV last night and thought I'd stick with it, if only just to appreciate Horner's score. The movie is actually a lot better than I remembered, certainly more engrossing than the other meteor disaster movie that year! More touching too since it chooses to focus more on the human story than the need for CGI-driven destruction (even though this is still executed well for the time).

Horner's score has always been one I return to (not his best by any means and it did represent a time when he was a little out of ideas) but it is still deeply effective and the emotional core of the film is incredibly mirrored in the music, as always. The finale scene, Goodbye & Godspeed, managed to bring out tears but this was probably more due to a kind of association with Horner's passing. Gorgeous music. Ok film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2015 edited
    Funny you should post that now, Lee. The film was on Norwegian TV last weekend, and I found myself watching it into the wee hours of the night (even across those damn commercial breaks). I've seen it some 3-4 times before, but it's such a wellcrafted melodrama, with such a fantastic build, it's a fine and underrated disaster flick (what happened to Mimi Leder?). No tears from me, but Horner's score is through-and-through wonderful throughout.

(btw, I like ARMAGEDDON too, but for wholly different reasons).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. As Lee I prefer DEEP IMPACT. But both, DEEP IMPACT and ARMAGEDDON, have great scores.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, the main theme from ARMAGEDDON is fantastic -- maybe the best theme Rabin has written -- but I'm not equally in love with the rest of the album. Some good tracks, some not so much.

I like Rabin in general, but he's often hit and miss.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2015 edited
    LSH wrote
    Horner's score has always been one I return to (not his best by any means and it did represent a time when he was a little out of ideas)

Sorry... but that's just poppycock. He wrote The Mask of Zorro that year, IMO, one of THE greatest action adventure scores of all time and the best score of 1998. He also wrote Mighty Joe young that year, which is also superb! And then in 2000 we get The Perfect Storm. In 2001 Enemy at the Gates. Yeah, sorry...he never ran out of ideas.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2015
    Just watched X-Men: Days of Future Past

As a comic-book film, it's one of the most successful I can think of in recent time. I was completely riveted by it, even while Ottman's score was doing its best to blast my eardrums out with that damned Inception horn.
  7. Jurassic World. Hated it. The first hour is truly abysmal. Awful writing. Just unbelievably stupid plot. There's an alright 15 minute spell about 1hour 30minutes in. i liked Irrfan Khan and Jake Johnson (i think that's his name) a lot. The death of one character by pteradactyls and watersaur was pretty good. most of the effects were as convincing as stop-motion, but without the charm. It's the biggest film in history. How out of touch with reality am i? i just don't see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015
    TheWanderer wrote
    It's the biggest film in history.

Not really.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Yes, stop motion has charm, like, say, tin toys. Both represent concepts of times gone by. Farewell, both of you. See you in the museum.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015 edited
    confused
  9. I wanted to say that IMO the notion of stop motion having more charm than (well executed) CGI is merely a thing of nostalgia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015 edited
    I wouldn't want stop motion in a Jurassic Park (or modern day) film... or any film for that matter. But stop motion does have it's place in cinema today... more as the medium to tell a story, not as a special effect.

-Erik-
  10. Interesting point. It also still has it's place in modern art house animation shorts. I hope. Now that I have typed this I'll have to check whether it's actually true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015
    Dood... Shaun The Sheep is stop motion!

-Erik-