• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016
    Steven wrote
    A tad harsh perhaps, but each to their own. I think it looked gorgeous. The blueish, cold tones of Russia were a thing of beauty.

And totally cliche... just like any time Mexico is depicted on film we get over saturated orange and red tones.

rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    About that meme...
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh that's just great firefox. Keep my ex-gf's sign in details.

The above post was me. rolleyes
  1. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016 edited
    As Erik himself alludes to earlier, I couldn't possibly disagree more. The photography in BRIDGE OF SPIES is absolutely stunning (I wouldn't expect anything less from the foremost cinematographer of our time) -- whether it's the icy hues of blue and white in the Berlin sequences, the warm mahogeny lightning of the interior dialogue scenes, the gorgeous staging of selfsame dialogue scenes (adding a surprising amount of kinetic energy to what could have been a very boring and standard shot-reverse shot), the film noir-ish rain sequence, the Capraesque ending etc. etc..

Combined with Michael Kahn's sublime and playful editing and Spielberg's brilliant ideas (like the opening sequence that Pawel mentions, playing with mirrors and reflections), it's FAR, FAR more engaging than what I had expected after the generic trailers.

My 6th favourite movie of the year for those reasons, and more.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I honestly didn't think anyone could have a problem with something that looks so gorgeous, but... well, there it is. Each to their own!

At least to the degree Erik does, I should add. I understand not agreeing with its effect on narrative and so forth, fine, but denying the artistic merit seems a little rash.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    A tad harsh perhaps, but each to their own. I think it looked gorgeous. The blueish, cold tones of Russia were a thing of beauty.

And totally cliche... just like any time Mexico is depicted on film we get over saturated orange and red tones.

rolleyes

-Erik-

yeah

As for Kaminski, I hated his work on LINCOLN. Well actually I just hated LINCOLN full stop.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I just have problems with the name Lincoln. It's so hard to pronounce correctly. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    (I wouldn't expect anything less from the foremost cinematographer of our time)

lol

You have seen Crystal Skull, right? It looks dreadful. Spielberg wanted the brilliant technicolor of Douglas Slocombe's photography in the first three films... instead he was given blown out, soft looking, flat, pastel yuk.

Thor wrote
    -- whether it's the icy hues of blue and white in the Berlin sequences, the warm mahogeny lightning of the interior dialogue scenes,

It's winter... so I guess the snow has to look blue. Yes, soft white lighting is warm. BRILLIANT!!!! rolleyes

Thor wrote
    the gorgeous staging of selfsame dialogue scenes (adding a surprising amount of kinetic energy to what could have been a very boring and standard shot-reverse shot), the film noir-ish rain sequence, the Capraesque ending etc. etc..

That I credit to Spielberg. Kaminiski isn't staging shots.

Thor wrote
    Combined with Michael Kahn's sublime and playful editing and Spielberg's brilliant ideas (like the opening sequence that Pawel mentions, playing with mirrors and reflections), it's FAR, FAR more engaging than what I had expected after the generic trailers.

Again, that's all Spielberg. Not Kaminiski. My issue is with Kaminiski... but then again, Spielberg's in control so I place the blame on Spielberg as well for the strange colour grading of some of his films post Jurassic Park.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I just have problems with the name Lincoln. It's so hard to pronounce correctly. sad

"Linc'n"
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I place the blame on Spielberg as well for the strange colour grading of some of his films post Jurassic Park.

Like Minority Report, the bluest movie ever made? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Have you seen The Revenant? It's desaturated to a point where you really only see greys and blues.

-Erik-
  3. Thor wrote
    As Erik himself alludes to earlier, I couldn't possibly disagree more. The photography in BRIDGE OF SPIES is absolutely stunning (I wouldn't expect anything less from the foremost cinematographer of our time) -- whether it's the icy hues of blue and white in the Berlin sequences, the warm mahogeny lightning of the interior dialogue scenes, the gorgeous staging of selfsame dialogue scenes (adding a surprising amount of kinetic energy to what could have been a very boring and standard shot-reverse shot), the film noir-ish rain sequence, the Capraesque ending etc. etc..

My 6th favourite movie of the year for those reasons, and more.

This reminds me of one of my favorite moments of the film:

The cut from "All arise!" in the courthouse to kids standing up in a classroom. I found that parallel completely unexpected and a brilliant move!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Have you seen The Revenant? It's desaturated to a point where you really only see greys and blues.

-Erik-

Ah, the Man-Of-Steel look.
    slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And check out the latest featurette for Wonder Woman? Where the fuck did all the colour go?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How can you say that?
    There's loads of grey. And green.
    And grey-ish green.

And greenish grey.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    For someone who just watched the new series recently and loved it to death, will the original be even watchable?

Only as a historic curiosity.
    Even I, with a sentimental streak as broad and flaming as the San Andreas fault line, can only watch it for nostalgic reasons.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    How can you say that?
    There's loads of grey. And green.
    And grey-ish green.

And greenish grey.

I spotted duck Egg Blue.

Ahh! I spotted BRIGHT YELLOW! tongue

EDIT: Oh, that was Kevin Smith's Batman T-shirt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    And check out the latest featurette for Wonder Woman? Where the fuck did all the colour go?

-Erik-

She needs a horse? I thought Wonder Woman just ran everywhere. Really fast.

I bet she doesn't deflect bullets with her wrists either. rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Will she have her invisible plane?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, it got destroyed in the Lego movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Ah crap, are you going to diss THE REVENANT too -- one of the best-shot films I've seen in years?

We really don't see eye to eye in what makes a film visually pleasing.

And yes, I saw CRYSTAL SKULL. Not Kaminski's best work, but it wasn't playing to his strenghts anyway (as you yourself suggest).

As for Spielberg staging the shots, yes he does. But I think you underestimate Kaminski's input.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, and LINCOLN. Didn't care much for it at first, but it grew CONSIDERABLY after repeated viewings, untill it actually made my Top 10 list of that year. Much of it has to do with Kaminski's lighting -- how he REALLY makes use of his stark, milky-white streams of light through windows.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Ah crap, are you going to diss THE REVENANT too -- one of the best-shot films I've seen in years?

I think Erik's just understandably picked up on the ironic gap between all that talk of shooting the film in natural light vs the fact that the material has been graded in post as much as any film these days (ie within an inch of its life).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Michael to the rescue. Thank you!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I think Erik's just understandably picked up on the ironic gap between all that talk of shooting the film in natural light vs the fact that the material has been graded in post as much as any film these days (ie within an inch of its life).

Grading, natural....I don't care. All I care about is that it looks good. And THE REVENANT certainly does.

(I'm a big Tony Scott fan, and he was, like, the biggest grader this side of Michael Bay)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I love the wide angle photography in The Revenant... something that could have improved The Hateful Eight considerably... but the colour grading on the other hand was PANTS! The gimmick of shooting with all natural light was completely destroyed with the awful desaturated colour correction.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I didn't get that at all. But I do agree that H8 left something to be desired (my issues, though, are less with the photography and more with other issues).
    I am extremely serious.