• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2016
    That's NicholsOn, Volker. My favourite actor, no less.

Personally, I hate that score (WOLF), but I love the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like the score a lot. The film I've seen once and it didn't make much impression.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Movies I've seen recently are:

- Cloud Atlas
    - Inside Out
    - Upside Down
    - Star Trek Beyond

I ordered Inside Out for school. Because the opening shows nicely what I teach my pupils: how certain experiences and how you feel about them define who you are.

Upside Down was just a love story. But a different one.

I can't keep up with series, but I saw three episodes of Black Mirror. Wow! Want to see more but I can't binge. One episode at a time is impressive enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Inside Out and Upside Down. Sound like perfect yet slightly nausea-inducing companion pieces.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Hi Bregje! wave
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Funny coincidence with the titles.

Hi wave

Unfortunately I only have a chance to visit MainTitles when I have time off from work... Discussions are going too fast to keep up. And I'm always behind with the latest scores...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2016 edited
    Bregje wrote

Hi wave

Unfortunately I only have a chance to visit MainTitles when I have time off from work... Discussions are going too fast to keep up.

He, he...I have the opposite impression -- I think everything here goes FAR too slowly, and there's far too little activity. But then again, I log on daily. Once, I was away on holiday for a couple of weeks, and it took me a whole 30 minutes to read up on everything. But usually, I'm done in 30 seconds ("that's what SHE said!").
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Yes our little ones at school are pretty demanding. Bless them! love
  3. STAR TREK TNG All Good Things (1994)

The exceptional final of an exceptional series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Bregje wrote

Hi wave

Unfortunately I only have a chance to visit MainTitles when I have time off from work... Discussions are going too fast to keep up.

He, he...I have the opposite impression -- I think everything here goes FAR too slowly, and there's far too little activity. But then again, I log on daily. Once, I was away on holiday for a couple of weeks, and it took me a whole 30 minutes to read up on everything. But usually, I'm done in 30 seconds ("that's what SHE said!").

When I log on, I missed 3146 new messages in de NP-thread! wink
    Also, it's hard because often the latest music is being discussed and I haven't heard the latest music so I'm just scrolling a bit until I read at least something I recognize...

And, I don't get jokes anymore. That's proof I missed too much. When I don't get your jokes... spin

Well... school starts again tomorrow, so see you in 8 weeks! christmas_tree
    Just kidding. I'll try to keep up a bit.

On topic: I finished season 3 of Black Mirror. It's brilliant.
    Keep in mind that I have only seen season 3. Still have to watch 1&2 but I will!
    wave
  4. "Sidekick"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ_GfsUJdFo

A well-made short film from this year.

Can't say I care for the score, with a theme by Blake Neely, who also contributes to the score. Not eve na short film at fifteen minutes in length scored by a Zimmer associate, can go without seven composers. Yes, seven composers in fifteen minutes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Blah blah blah blah Hans Zimmer is evil blah blah blah sleep
  6. Mad Max: Fury Road

Wow, what a mindblowing ride! Over the top, crazy and exhilarating. Takeaway the music and this is a flawless film. The stunts in this movie are insane and I was surprised about the emotional story in this crazy film. Have to say, I had a blast watching this. And if it isn't obvious yet, the reason why this movie is so beloved is because the visual effects are used to a minimum, and the old school practical effects make it look all the more believable and a lot more realistic. Get it HOLLYWOOD?

9 out of 10

-------------------

Into the Storm

Pleasantly surprised by this too. A mix between the hand held camera and a typical motion picture film. The characters were good, good enough to care for them and the effects were rather impressive. Plus it got me hooked to my seat for most of the time. Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the suspense of it.

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Mad Max: Fury Road

Wow, what a mindblowing ride! Over the top, crazy and exhilarating. Takeaway the music and this is a flawless film. The stunts in this movie are insane and I was surprised about the emotional story in this crazy film. Have to say, I had a blast watching this. And if it isn't obvious yet, the reason why this movie is so beloved is because the visual effects are used to a minimum, and the old school practical effects make it look all the more believable and a lot more realistic. Get it HOLLYWOOD?

9 out of 10

Actually there's quite a bit of CGI in this film, it's just used very well. So the point is: use CGI well, and use it along with practical effects to get the best result.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Wow, what a mindblowing ride! Over the top, crazy and exhilarating. Takeaway the music and this is a flawless film.

I would rather argue 'take away the music, and it's a flawed film'. The superb music is one of the crucial things that make it the energetic heavy metal car ride that it is.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

9 out of 10

Actually there's quite a bit of CGI in this film, it's just used very well. So the point is: use CGI well, and use it along with practical effects to get the best result.

at least most of the collisions and car crashes looked real (to a degree it wouldn't bring the actors or stunt people in danger), for me you can not fake the law of physics and how a car twirls when it crashes (it will never look a 100% real). So at least most of the stunts here felt real.
  8. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Wow, what a mindblowing ride! Over the top, crazy and exhilarating. Takeaway the music and this is a flawless film.

I would rather argue 'take away the music, and it's a flawed film'. The superb music is one of the crucial things that make it the energetic heavy metal car ride that it is.

The only piece of action tolerable was "Brother in Arms", and that felt good. The rest, not so much
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016
    Agree to disagree! smile

I loved the calmer parts of the score too.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Blah blah blah blah Hans Zimmer is evil blah blah blah sleep

Didn't say anything about Zimmer or him being evil.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

at least most of the collisions and car crashes looked real (to a degree it wouldn't bring the actors or stunt people in danger), for me you can not fake the law of physics and how a car twirls when it crashes (it will never look a 100% real). So at least most of the stunts here felt real.

I suspect most of them were, but there was more to the film than its vehicles (believe it or not). Also, it's relatively easy to animate realistic - or near realistic - looking impacts these days. Faking the laws of physics, as you put it, is precisely what most cgi is about. And it'll only improve.
  10. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I suspect most of them were, but there was more to the film than its vehicles (believe it or not). Also, it's relatively easy to animate realistic - or near realistic - looking impacts these days. Faking the laws of physics, as you put it, is precisely what most cgi is about. And it'll only improve.

I just hope that there are directors who will continue to use as much practical effects as possible, and then it doesn't hurt using CGI to improve it very subtle.
  11. justin boggan wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Blah blah blah blah Hans Zimmer is evil blah blah blah sleep

Didn't say anything about Zimmer or him being evil.

Especially that Blake Neely is much more than "just" a Zimmer associate, never joined the studio, just orchestrated/arranged/conducted some cues for Zimmer himself and... made friends with Geoff Zanelli. That's about all his RCP connections.

I have a feeling that him working on The Pacific was more a case of his earlier collaboration with Zanelli rather than any Hans Zimmer doing too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek Beyond

These new Trek films are lavishly made, but devoid of any substance. They really are McDonald's films; you know exactly what to expect, you enjoy it while it lasts, but leaves no lasting impression.

It's a film where some stuff happens. For all the faults of the Picard films, at least they had some memorable scenes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I watched INTERSTELLER last night.

Didn't make much impression really. I like Zimmer's score but it doesn't work in many of the scenes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Steven wrote
    Star Trek Beyond

These new Trek films are lavishly made, but devoid of any substance. They really are McDonald's films; you know exactly what to expect, you enjoy it while it lasts, but leaves no lasting impression.

It's a film where some stuff happens. For all the faults of the Picard films, at least they had some memorable scenes.

Ultimately I have to agree with this. I get it they plan for a fourth incarnation. I'd rather they'd leave it at this and concentrate on something new. For example finally get J. Michael Straczynski develop something Trek related. Apparently he was approached for the forthcoming TV show but he declined. Give the man a free hand and tell me when to order my popcorn.

Volker
  13. Timmer wrote
    I watched INTERSTELLAR last night.

Didn't make much impression really. I like Zimmer's score but it doesn't work in many of the scenes.

If anything the film didn't work with this supreme score. But really, the score saved that flick.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really enjoyed most of the film and thought the score was applied pretty well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Interstellar is a flawed film, but a typically ambitious one from Nolan. There's a lot to respect in it, perhaps a few things to admonish... But it deserves its place in Sci-fi history. Score and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    As with some other films, I may or may not watch it again some time.
  14. Oh, will watch it again. Sure thing.