• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    The uncanny Valley of Leia and Tarkin were definitely not needed.

WRONG!
    Tarkin was an absolute necessity and I LOVED seeing Cushing again, even in recreated version.
    Leia less so, but ...well, see below.

And Leia at the end was corny as sin - - it should have ended with Vader.

Yyyyyyyeah, I kinda get where you're coming from.
    But I do see the "need" for it, taking into account the sort of 'legend' type story that Star Wars is: it all needs to be tied together, including the explanation for the 'new hope' title. It's the way these kind of mythical stories are built.

Anyway. It's a decent enough sci-fi action film, but I wouldn't say it's a great Star Wars film. There's no magic, the characters are boring and it relies heavily on nostalgia. 2/10 as a Star Wars film, but a solid 7 as sci-fi.

yeah
    This. So VERY MUCH this.

The only addition to Star Wars lore I rather liked was the actually seemingly rather effective black Death Troopers, which reminded me ever so much of Dark Forces' Dark Trooper.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017
    I'm with Steven on this one.

I've seen Rogue One twice and have no need to ever watch it again. The Force Awakens on the other hand I've seen dozens and dozens of times and still love it to death!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    I'm with Steven on this one.

I've seen Rogue One twice and have no need to ever watch it again. The Force Awakens on the other hand I've seen dozens and dozens of times and still love it to death!

-Erik-

I think I will hardly revisit The Force Awakens, just because that "new darth vader" villain is so freaking boring. Of course I will give the new Star Wars films the chance they deserve, but in terms of creating the new Star Wars films whilst honoring the old ones, Rogue One succeeded and The Force Awakens failed (and they had the old garde)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kylo is far from boring. There's a lot going on with his character that I can't wait for them to explore in The Last Jedi.

Rogue One was a mess of a movie. When the only character I cared about is a robot, then they done fucked something up!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. They're both ok films, but TPM and ROTS are better. Yes I said that: TPM is good.

I preferred the 1st hour of TFA but less the second hour.
    I preferred the 2nd hour of R1 but less the first hour.

Rogue One almost put me to sleep, after Vader's appearance I got more interested in the story.

So because it builds to something more satisfying I would rate R1 higher. The final battle is worthy of the Star Wars brand.

Tarkin is done very well by the actor, but the CGI is pretty evident too. Lets give it another 10 years or so before CGI humans look completely believable.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    They're both ok films, but TPM and ROTS are better. Yes I said that: TPM is good.

You are now banned from this place! Be gone heathen.

-Erik-
  3. I love the prequels! love
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    I love the prequels! love

GET! OUT!!!!

-Erik-
  4. You would think with time Erik would have mellowed a bit in his hate for the prequels.

After all hate leads to anger, anger leads to suffering. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I love the prequels! love

Me too!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    You would think with time Erik would have mellowed a bit in his hate for the prequels.

They are awful!!!

-Erik-
  5. Compared to that retro Newest Hope thingi The Force Awakens, the Prequels were a festival of ambitious world building and general creativity.
  6. Yes, but then the actors have to try and act and the script has to try to be a script and it all falls apart.
  7. There are flaws, no doubt. But in my opinion ultimately the films hold together well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Compared to that retro Newest Hope thingi The Force Awakens, the Prequels were a festival of ambitious world building and general creativity.

Ambitious, yes. No doubt. But POORLY executed to a point where most of the three films are unwatchable because they are so bad! George Lucas is a guy who should never have final cut. I mean, imagine if he had final cut on Star Wars?! It was Paul Hirsch, Marcia Lucas and Richard Chew who saved the first film from being a flop!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    There are flaws, no doubt. But in my opinion ultimately the films hold together well.

I'm with you there.

Sure the dialogue sometimes is bad, the acting worse, but each film has its strengths too (though AOTC doesn't have too many, it does have an okay beginning and end).

I don't understand that films like this could be called awful by certain fans of the franchise. Certainly they haven't watched a really awful movie, like I've seen. Those that make no sense in storytelling, have crap visual effects, characters that fall completely flat, zero vision by the director, visually uninteresting and actors that phone in their performances. None of these aspects are found in any of the prequels IMO.
  8. Although I'm not too fond of the prequels, I can't disagree with anything you've just written there, Gilles. I think the disappointment from the fans and the immense pressure any Star Wars film has to deliver the goods has made people see them as a lot worse than they actually are. Certainly there are quite a few redeeming elements to be found in all of them.

But I wouldn't go so far as to call any of them "good". Revenge of the Sith is okay, the other two are...well, uneven is the word I'd use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017
    Revenge Of the Sith is actually fine.
    Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones could have been bundled into a ten minute summary preceding it, without anyone missing anything of value.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Those that make no sense in storytelling,

Check!

DreamTheater wrote
    have crap visual effects

Check! For example, Yoda, digital and puppet, is awful

DreamTheater wrote
    characters that fall completely flat,

Check!

DreamTheater wrote
    zero vision by the director

Lucas was absolutely lost behind the camera!

DreamTheater wrote
    visually uninteresting

Ok... I'll give you that!

DreamTheater wrote
    and actors that phone in their performances.

Oh, for fuck's sake! Most of them phoned it in.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Red Letter Media (the Mr. Plinkett reviews) nail these films to the wall. Anyone who doesn't understand why people hate these films should watch those reviews.
  9. Much of what's said there could as well be brought up against the original trilogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not really, if only because in Star Wars the effects were literally state of the art (they had to actually invent computers, cameras and lenses to film the movie!) , while in The Phantom Menace they were one in a million. but moreover, because NONE of the main characters in the prequel trilogy (with the exception of Anakin in Revenge Of The Sith) is an archetype...thereby miserably failing the "myth" test that made the original so iconic!
  10. I believe the myth of Obi Wan was greatly expanded upon - Vader, not so much.
    I give you one point: The prequels we no as inventive on the technological level. Maybe they couldn't be.
    But again, there are flaws. I don't mean to idealize these films. I regard them as solid Hollywood entertainment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Of course they are flawed. Perfection is an unrealsitic state in all things.
    But I'm not talking mere 'story lines' here, I'm talking proper, archetypical myth building.
    With the exception of the 'hero falling from grace' of Anakin in Sith, there is no such development in any of the prequel stories. But there IS -quite dominantly and hardly subtly- in the original trilogy.
    Which really is the main reason why the prequel trilogy disappointed overall.

I do not have high hopes that any of the new stories will have as much of a cultural/'art of storytelling' impact, but at least in feel and style they're harkening back to the 'golly gee whiz' Flash Gordon serials of the forties that were Star Wars' main inspiration.
  11. If there's one thing I blame George Lucas for it's his over-reliance on green / blue screen, which hurt the films, but not to the extent of them become unwatchable (to me, again). There are WAY MORE unwatchable films out there, stuff you have to turn off after 10 minutes.

Episode III is the best acting-wise. I think all the principal actors on ROTS did a great job, even Christensen. By the end of that film I firmly believe he has transformed into Vader. During the second half he has such a menacing presence, helped by McDiarmid of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Much of what's said there could as well be brought up against the original trilogy.

I suppose some of it would apply, but the general thesis is these films lack what made the originals so special, and every other sin is multiplied because of it. Lucas failed to understand what made them so popular, even if he was trying to create something new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2017
    I'm going through the X-1 shows and am fasinated by the music. No one has ever done a CD of them and someone should
    listen to more classical music!
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (2014)

I love this film. Swashbuckling, funny space opera. The evil ones are evil because ... they are evil. The others are good because they are not evil. Cool spaceships, cool weapons, cool villains and heroes. Fun!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2017
    sdtom wrote
    I'm going through the X-1 shows and am fasinated by the music. No one has ever done a CD of them and someone should

These are radio shows that are free to listen to on the internet archive
    listen to more classical music!
  13. Captain Future wrote
    Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (2014)

I love this film. Swashbuckling, funny space opera. The evil ones are evil because ... they are evil. The others are good because they are not evil. Cool spaceships, cool weapons, cool villains and heroes. Fun!

Volker

Loved it as well. An overtly fun film, lots of laughs, characters you can't take seriously and an entertaining score to boot. Have hopes the second is just as ... entertaining. The only reason I haven't seen it yet in the theater is because it's just becoming just too damn costly, even at just regular 2D (nearly 13 $ per person). Don't know what the ticket prices are in the US?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh