• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017
    Timmer wrote
    Not seen it. Thanks for the spoilers slant tongue

It's not reeeeally much of a spoiler. This was touted as the last film with those actors playing those characters. I can assure you, it doesn't ruin the experience. If anything, it adds to it. I liked knowing their fate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The film's been out for ages, so I wouldn't worry about spoilers too much. smile
    The fact that old farts like Tim (or myself.. cry ) haven't been able to see it yet (probably due to the fact we couldn't find our misplaced walking canes again) shouldn't hold you back!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Oceans Eleven

A nice change after Logan. What an entertaining movie smile
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Bush Man, nothing more biggrin

8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The film's been out for ages, so I wouldn't worry about spoilers too much. smile
    The fact that old farts like Tim (or myself.. cry ) haven't been able to see it yet (probably due to the fact we couldn't find our misplaced walking canes again) shouldn't hold you back!

Something about spoilers? I can't remember. dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople

8 out of 10

This small New Zealand indie gem is a must-see. If only because the characters don't aim to be funny at all but through their actions become hilarious. Some real LOL moments ! biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Something about spoilers? I can't remember. dizzy

Eh? What's that? Speak UP, young man!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I'll come closer.... bloody hell, where did I put my walking cane?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. You changed it for a walker, remember?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I did?? Oh! confused
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

8 out of 10

This small New Zealand indie gem is a must-see. If only because the characters don't aim to be funny at all but through their actions become hilarious. Some real LOL moments ! biggrin

I really enjoyed this as well. Hilarious, touching, and totally entertaining. It's amazing that this director's next film is THOR: RAGNAROK
  5. christopher wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

8 out of 10

I really enjoyed this as well. Hilarious, touching, and totally entertaining. It's amazing that this director's next film is THOR: RAGNAROK

just read it about Thor as well, wondering if Jeff Goldbum's the next social worker Paula biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

First viewing and certainly not the last... because this just had me laughing like crazy during quite a few scenes. A couple of people who never met learn of a bag full of money hidden somewhere by a man who just crashed his vehicle (his dying words). A mad dash for that money follows including the most hilarious situations and pure slapstick shenanigans. A truly great comedy from 1963, one which I had never heard about. But thanks to a YouTube video by a man called James Rolfe (AVGN) I will never again forget about this one. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

First viewing and certainly not the last... because this just had me laughing like crazy during quite a few scenes. A couple of people who never met learn of a bag full of money hidden somewhere by a man who just crashed his vehicle (his dying words). A mad dash for that money follows including the most hilarious situations and pure slapstick shenanigans. A truly great comedy from 1963, one which I had never heard about. But thanks to a YouTube video by a man called James Rolfe (AVGN) I will never again forget about this one. cheesy

Love that film, such great fun and a great cast, Ernest Gold's theme never fails to lift me.

The film was also parodied in an episode of The Simpsons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    great Gold theme and great movie!
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    "Gangs of New York" another 'B' movie I'm doing a bit of research on. A Republic film starring Charles Bickford in a dual role. Low budget of course but pretty well done.
    listen to more classical music!
  7. Was it later remade by Martin Scorsese?! Or he just took the title?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017
    Wonder Woman

Finally saw this in the theater. The very end finale and the very beginning were rather dull, rote superhero-business, but the middle, i.e., most of the movie, was thrilling, with great characters. It felt like its own movie rather than a long trailer for its sequel. The 8-minute No Man's Land scene was more enjoyable than the whole of Logan. I quite enjoyed it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought LOGAN was fantastic. As someone who doesn't really care about superhero movies, this seemed to be made for me. One of the best superhero movies I've seen, in fact.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Love that film, such great fun and a great cast, Ernest Gold's theme never fails to lift me.

The film was also parodied in an episode of The Simpsons.

Well yes the music has that typical style of scoring from those days. All over the place and something I couldn't listen to on its own if my life depended on it. I'm sure the theme will stick after repeat viewings. Interestingly the Blu-ray I bought of the film has the main theme with a black screen before the movie begins and after it ends.

I know they did that in the old days. I believe Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of the last films that opens with a musical overture (Ilia's theme in this case) over lots and lots of stars in space (which is a lot more interesting than just plain blackness).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote

I believe Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of the last films that opens with a musical overture (Ilia's theme in this case) over lots and lots of stars in space (which is a lot more interesting than just plain blackness).

Yes. This and The Black Hole, both released in Dec 1979 may, unless someone knows better, have been the last films to open with an overture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's suggested there are loads...but I have seen quite a few of these, and I can categorically confirm there was no Overture in any of them (or it was cut off for Dutch cinemas...a very distinct possibility.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    I thought LOGAN was fantastic. As someone who doesn't really care about superhero movies, this seemed to be made for me. One of the best superhero movies I've seen, in fact.

What did you like about it specifically, Thor?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It's suggested there are loads...but I have seen quite a few of these, and I can categorically confirm there was no Overture in any of them (or it was cut off for Dutch cinemas...a very distinct possibility.)

The same here Martijn, I saw both Star Trek TMP and The Black Hole at the cinema and those two were the last I ever saw of a pre-titles overture. Where the heck did they show Star Wars films with overtures?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote

What did you like about it specifically, Thor?

Many things. I love the gritty look, the realistic, down-to-earth narrative and character portrayals, the brutality, the 'family unit' dynamics/chamber piece, the refreshing lack of overpowering CGI (young Jackman looked amazing!), the tight and focussed plot. It steered free of everything I dislike about superhero movies, and nurtured all the good things I like about action movies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017 edited

Many things. I love the gritty look, the realistic, down-to-earth narrative and character portrayals, the brutality, the 'family unit' dynamics/chamber piece, the refreshing lack of overpowering CGI (young Jackman looked amazing!), the tight and focussed plot. It steered free of everything I dislike about superhero movies, and nurtured all the good things I like about action movies.

Are you interested in debating it at all? Because I seriously disliked the movie, and you seem like you have quantifiable reasons for enjoying it, other than "it was good" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2017 edited
    Not sure I have the stamina for a lengthy discussion at this point. I was supposed to have done a review of the film when it came out (and I saw it twice in the theatre), but other things came in the way. Would have been a neat way to gather my thoughts. Perhaps after I've seen it again. It currently features on 11th place on my 2017 list so far:

https://mubi.com/lists/2017-films-ranked
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2017
    Sure, that's totally fine. Glad you liked the movie!
  9. About 30 years ago there was a small theatre in my home town which sometimes played a track from the movie's score before the movie started, especially on movie nights like when they did a Back to the Future triple or something like that. Not sure they had any legal right to do that, but we appreciated it anyway. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2017
    Life

I liked it. Rather intense, creepy movie; my enjoyment was aided by my low expectations. smile