• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2017
    Steven wrote

It had some fun scenes, and the humour was, for the most part, on point. But it lacked a solid story, something to drive those scenes and elevate them. The first one had a simple premise: a bunch of misfits get together to keep a thing from an evil dude who wants to use it for power. It worked, it's all it needed. But this one, for more than half the film, you have no idea what's going on. There's no tension. Nothing that connects the exciting and funny scenes together.

It ended up being more emotional than the first, but it just lacked a solid foundation. Entertaining, but disappointing.

Yeah I agree about the lack of a solid story, the lack of FOCUS. I'd say that almost every character had equal screentime, which sounds in theory good, but it ultimately makes it where you're not sure where the heart of the story is. Captain America: Civil War had a ton of characters, but it focused on Tony and Steve; it was consistent and kept itself centered.

Whereas I felt that Star-Lord (who should be, you know, the main character), had almost no influence on the story until the very end.

I don't know, I really actually haven't made up my mind on how I feel about the movie. If there's one compliment, I would say that I appreciate that they took a risk in terms of structure.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2017
    So I watched Guardians 2 again to try and figure out what was wrong with it, and I have it! The story happened to the characters rather the characters happening to the story. They were shuttled through the plot; attacked, rescued, taken over here, etc. And when it did come time for a decision, the correct path was fairly obvious (someone's trying to destroy the world, we should stop him). Unlike the first movie, where they all had different agendas and worked against each other, they all were all the same side and sat there quipping while events played out around them.
  1. So, it's Raiders of the Lost Ark all over again? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    So, it's Raiders of the Lost Ark all over again? wink

minus Spielberg, Ford, Williams, emotional sincerity, great choreography....
  2. Do you have anything to do with filmmaking or film studies, by chance? You're a rare person who actually mentions choreography when discussing a movie!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2017 edited
    Well, I like to watch film analysis channels on YouTube. Does that count? biggrin

(There's a video about Jackie Chan's fight-scenes by a great channel called "Every Frame a Painting", that talks about how bad choreography with actors who don't know how to fight hides the actual moment of a punch or kick. I noticed Guardians 2 doing that a lot).
  3. Jackie Chan's films are awesome in the action department, he is a true master of fight choreography and staging, but most of his films are made for the sole purpose of showing his artistry and skills. If you don't mind bad storytelling and ridiculous characters, you can always try out some corny 80s and 90s JC films for the mind-blowing action. And I mean his Hong Kong output. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    DreamTheater wrote
    Jackie Chan's films are awesome in the action department, he is a true master of fight choreography and staging, but most of his films are made for the sole purpose of showing his artistry and skills. If you don't mind bad storytelling and ridiculous characters, you can always try out some corny 80s and 90s JC films for the mind-blowing action. And I mean his Hong Kong output. cheesy

As the video I mentioned points out, he's also one of the only actors whose fight scenes are funny and exciting at the same time.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Coincidentally, I watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night. It's a fun movie, even if Bates' score leaves almost no impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    jb1234 wrote
    Coincidentally, I watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night. It's a fun movie, even if Bates' score leaves almost no impression.

I think the first Guardians is the best Marvel movie, and probably my third favorite superhero movie (#2 being Amazing Spiderman 2, #3 being Dark Knight Rises).

Sadly, its imitators tarnish its legacy.

But the Bates score left no impression? Try "Ballad of the Nova Corps"!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2017
    Oh my God, are we back to talking endlessly about superhero movies again?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    If 12 posts is your definition of endless then...yes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Thank God, are we back to talking endlessly about superhero movies again punk

YES!

My favourites are in no particular order...

Avengers
    Guardians of The Galaxy
    Watchmen
    Spiderman 2
    Iron Man
    The Dark Knight
    Superman
    Superman 2
    captain America The First Avenger

Score to Superman wins so easily it's sick.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Nice list!
  4. Aidabaida wrote
    jb1234 wrote

I think the first Guardians is the best Marvel movie, and probably my third favorite superhero movie (#2 being Amazing Spiderman 2, #3 being Dark Knight Rises).

Dark Knight...Rises? uhm Amazing Spider-Man 2??? uhm uhm

Agree about "Nova Corps" though. I'm always surprised at how much of an impact that cue makes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Dark Knight...Rises? uhm Amazing Spider-Man 2??? uhm uhm

Agree about "Nova Corps" though. I'm always surprised at how much of an impact that cue makes.

Superhero movies are often commercialized, so I really really appreciate the ones that feel personal, like they were made with ambition, even if they're flawed (almost because they're flawed - that makes them more human).
  5. I thought ASM2 felt plenty commercialized, lots of hamfisted We're Setting Up A Franchise stuff going on with the Sinister Six.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I thought ASM2 felt plenty commercialized, lots of hamfisted We're Setting Up A Franchise stuff going on with the Sinister Six.

All I can say is that when you have tattooed Russian gangster Paul Giamatti, you're doing something right.

I saw this video-analysis that helpfully pointed out that by the end of the movie, you don't view the Rhino as a threat. I can't help but think, that if you've reached the end of this ridiculous, awesome movie and you're thinking, "Huh, the tattooed Russian gangster Paul Giamatti isn't threatening." and not exploding with laughter because TATTOOED RUSSIAN GANGSTER PAUL GIAMATTI...you're watching movies wrong.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Aidabaida wrote
    jb1234 wrote

Nah, a lot of that final battle music blurs together for me. The only two cues that made an impression during the film was the opening one with his mom (unreleased) and Sacrifice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    The opening one with his mom is called To the Stars. The album is really scrambled.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Oof, you're right. My mistake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    This isn't recent viewing (I saw it a while ago), but I feel suddenly compelled to recommend THE PRESTIGE to everyone...really good movie.

So...there's that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017
    Only seen it once but I'd recommend it too. I must see it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I hated the first movie, and have no intention to watch the sequel.

yes it was pretty stupid indeed
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Finally got around to watching this. It was definitely ambitious, and had all sorts of great scenes and moments, but overall, it felt like it didn't master the tone as well as the first movie did. The middle sections especially were really slow. Eventually, it rallied for a really entertaining ending though, and Tyler Bates at times really killed it!

It had some fun scenes, and the humour was, for the most part, on point. But it lacked a solid story, something to drive those scenes and elevate them. The first one had a simple premise: a bunch of misfits get together to keep a thing from an evil dude who wants to use it for power. It worked, it's all it needed. But this one, for more than half the film, you have no idea what's going on. There's no tension. Nothing that connects the exciting and funny scenes together.

It ended up being more emotional than the first, but it just lacked a solid foundation. Entertaining, but disappointing.

remember our discussions on the terribly mediocre modern hollywood flicks the other day? well here's a solid example wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    jb1234 wrote

best anonymous well-built totally forgettable modern film music - library / sample - like stuff. Forgettable as his whole career wink
  6. See, thing is, forgettable but decently crafted is a step up from everything else in Tyler Bates' career...
  7. Aidabaida wrote
    This isn't recent viewing (I saw it a while ago), but I feel suddenly compelled to recommend THE PRESTIGE to everyone...really good movie.

So...there's that.

The Prestige is excellent! That's my favorite Nolan film right there. It's brilliant from start to finish. It's one of the best examples of non-linear story-telling I've ever seen. The twists at the end are great, but so well foreshadowed that you can figure them out if you're really "watching closely" as the film admonishes you at the very beginning. One of the best examples of the foreshadowing is the bird trick that Michael Cain does at the beginning. It seems like a simple enough trick that he's using just to explain the three parts of a magic trick, but it ends up being a huge clue to what's going on at the end with one character and what will happen to the other. It's the kind of film that's so well done that it every time I watch it I appreciate it more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017
    christopher wrote

The Prestige is excellent! That's my favorite Nolan film right there. It's brilliant from start to finish. It's one of the best examples of non-linear story-telling I've ever seen. The twists at the end are great, but so well foreshadowed that you can figure them out if you're really "watching closely" as the film admonishes you at the very beginning. One of the best examples of the foreshadowing is the bird trick that Michael Cain does at the beginning. It seems like a simple enough trick that he's using just to explain the three parts of a magic trick, but it ends up being a huge clue to what's going on at the end with one character and what will happen to the other. It's the kind of film that's so well done that it every time I watch it I appreciate it more.

"But where's his brother?"

Great, great, foreshadowing.

I always found it interesting that Nolan was working from a preexisting concept (The Prestige novel). It seems so laser-focused compared to some of his other stuff, and I wonder if being forced to stick to someone else's story actually, paradoxically, freed him up to really focus on making this concept as excellent as possible. Sometimes boundaries actually help art. After all games aren't fun without rules.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017 edited
    Aidabaida wrote
    christopher wrote

"But where's his brother?"

Great, great, foreshadowing.

I always found it interesting that Nolan was working from a preexisting concept (The Prestige novel). It seems so laser-focused compared to some of his other stuff, and I wonder if being forced to stick to someone else's story actually, paradoxically, freed him up to really focus on making this concept as excellent as possible. Sometimes boundaries actually help art. After all games aren't fun without rules.

Hmm?

First of all, I concur that The Prestige is excellent. It's among the top of my favourite Nolan's and you could argue it's one of his most accomplished films. Great stuff and precisely in my sweet spot in terms of favourite subjects and styles.

About it being remarkable because of its focus, in relation to other works of Nolan I'm not sure if I agree. Or, rather, I don't wink. Especially at the time: sure, Nolan had just come away from the spectacle that was Batman Begins, but his career to date had been exemplified by works like Memento and Insomnia, the first being extremely carefully constructed (because of its reverse telling) and focussed around a single man's quest what happened to him, while the second one being a remake of a Scandinavian film, so also an adaptation of a previous work. One could even argue he had a bit more room to change the storytelling of the novel adaptation than he had with the film remake since the novel had to be adapted to another medium, downsized, etc., while the Insomnia is a remake within the same medium.

All this coming from your phrasing "I always found it interesting", which implied you thought so at the time of release. I'd say a stronger case could be made in hindsight. At first glance I could see where you're coming from, because of his more elaborate and complex works of Inception and Interstellar. But to be honest I think all of his films still have much of that same focus which he started with his earlier films. His works are very carefully thought out and centred around a single persons struggle (Interstellar, for example, huge as it may be, at the core there's still that relationship between McConaughey and Chastain), it's just that his palettes have gotten bigger and his stories more ambitious.