• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Actually, yes, you have to be blind not to see the satire and, especially, self-parody in the film. The film is too dumb NOT to know it's dumb and relishing in it. Bay does everything to make his canera operator seem to have the IQ of his main characters, so it's very much the point. Plus, some of the best performances (actually) from some actors, like Wahlberg and The Rock.

I thought Ed Harris vowed never to work with Bay again after The Rock, though.

Also, the moment when The Rock is grilling the hand of his deceased victim and waves at his neighbor is downright priceless biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2017
    i need to see the movie...
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2017 edited
    I could not have foreseen that a post about the 8th Fast & Furious film would start a discussion of this caliber. shocked

But seriously, all I see is highly entertaining action films with excellent production values, some hit or miss humor, a few half-naked women, ridiculous stunts, cool characters, and a lot of emphasis on family values.

It mostly depends on whether the viewer can see Vin Diesel as a respectable actor or just a bloated Arnold-imitator (sans the accent), since he is the main star of the franchise. I see him as the former, he shows more range in this latest film, and I like his character's morality and vulnerability. Vin has given his character a lot of heart and humanity over the course of 8 films.

I can, as Shaft would say... dig it ! beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    you are engaging in wrongthink, Dream Theatre sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    oh man, Vin Diesel and the Rock. No, certainly not for me at all. Big lol on their 'acting' skills smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Their bank balance would suggest they have a small bit of talent in that area. cheesy

Ok, they're not in the same league as say, Daniel Day-Lewis, or De Niro in his prime, but you cannot deny they have no screen presence or zero charisma.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Aidabaida wrote
    i need to see the movie...

Pain and Gain is really, really subversive. But the characters themselves are so damn stupid you actually fall for it, just in a very dark comedic kind of way. Bay parodies even his own American flag shot, but, really, makes it subversive enough to make it work as a complete piece of satire. And, politically speaking, probably his most liberal, left-wing film, him being rather conservative in what he depicts.

That said, 13 Hours, his film about Benghazi is also really good for his standards. It does rush through the first half, but when it gets going, it really does.
  4. Demetris wrote
    oh man, Vin Diesel and the Rock. No, certainly not for me at all. Big lol on their 'acting' skills smile

The Rock is actually quite decent in the right part. Also, the fact that Spielberg wanted Diesel for Saving Private Ryan after watching a short he made (Diesel starred, wrote and directed it) says otherwise as well.
  5. Just say his name out loud... its the epitome of cool.

The man is named after a substance that powers engines for crying out loud.

punk
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Their bank balance would suggest they have a small bit of talent in that area. cheesy

Ok, they're not in the same league as say, Daniel Day-Lewis, or De Niro in his prime, but you cannot deny they have no screen presence or zero charisma.

I agree with the latter half of this statement entirely. Sure they're not "good" "actors" by the definition most film scholars would use, but The Rock in particular is charismatic and likeable as hell and sometimes, that's all you need in a leading man.

I don't really agree with the former half of your statement because I can list pllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeenty of talentless, rich people.
  7. As I said, he's actually surprisingly good in Pain and Gain. And in that case doubly surprisingly as Bay is famously AWFUL with actors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    i liked that one part in that one Michael Bay movie where a sweaty guy, filmed with a telephoto lens, yells something motivating over blaring power anthems. Can anyone remember which one that was?

By the way, awesome analysis of Bay's style here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Their bank balance would suggest they have a small bit of talent in that area. cheesy

Well as there's audience of various qualities and tastes, there's various quality products for all levels and tastes too wink same as junk food (what, they make a shitload of money too) vs good quality restaurants wink But we need junk food too here and then right? and thus they also make a shit load of money too but that doesn't mean they are not junk wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017
    pass
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've been oing through he hound of the baskerville movies and so far the hammer film wih cushing and lee is the best
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017 edited
    Aidabaida wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Guy ritchie's style was marvelous and ingenious in lock, stock and two smoking barrels and also snatch and then it went downhill from there. Overpriced and overhyped with no real substance. Must be those Madonna years screwing up with his head. biggrin

Haven't seen either of those movies yet. Just discovered him recently. Liked Man from Uncle, LOVED Sherlock Game of Shadows.

you have to see these two classics that made him mate. nothing he ever did afterwards matches. and i personally don't like what he did with sherlock holmes at all. too cheesy, too americanized and certainly not classy at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. I liked the first Sherlock, because the gritty approach I found quite cool and Downey jr and Law had fantastic chemistry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    After seeing Jude Law in King Arthur, you'll wonder how he was ever a good guy.
  9. I liked both of Ritchie's SHERLOCK films a lot. I've never seen anything else he's directed, though, so I can't compare.
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    As I said, he's actually surprisingly good in Pain and Gain. And in that case doubly surprisingly as Bay is famously AWFUL with actors.

Also in the very good disaster flick 'San Andreas'.

I have to re-watch Pain and Gain, because I found it not nearly as fun as his usual output. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    As I said, he's actually surprisingly good in Pain and Gain. And in that case doubly surprisingly as Bay is famously AWFUL with actors.

Also in the very good disaster flick 'San Andreas'.

I have to re-watch Pain and Gain, because I found it not nearly as fun as his usual output. smile

smh more badthink
  11. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2017
    Doubleplusungood.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    I liked both of Ritchie's SHERLOCK films a lot. I've never seen anything else he's directed, though, so I can't compare.

You started backwards smile watch the classics first, the movies that made him. no relation to sherlock and co. these are very original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Doubleplusungood.

biggrin

How was the really negative adj in the novel? the utterly despicable evil crap? that's the adj i am looking for , for the rock pain & gain vin diesel etc:)
  12. I'm not sure if it appears in the novel verbatim but according to Orwell's own appendix on Newspeak it would simply be "doubleplusbad".

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yes, doubleplusbad. that's it thank you!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017 edited
    The Hitman's Bodyguard

A B movie with a budget. The humour of Deadpool (or more precisely, Ryan Reynolds) and the action of John Wick.

Tonally all over the place - grotesque violence one minute, childish humour the next, genuinely exciting - real - action after that (I'm looking at you DIY store fight and the excellent Amsterdam boat/car/motorcycle chase.)

Messy, overlong and full of pacing issues, yet something oddly appealing and entertaining about it. Even a couple of stonking cues in "Hitman's Bodyguard" and "Amsterdam Chase".

Hard for me to recommend, but worth a watch if you're the slightest bit curious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017 edited
    Silence (Martin Scorsese, 2016)

Missed it in theaters, but thankfully got to redeem that as part of the Martin Scorsese exhibition at the Eye Film Institute today. Wow. This film left me stunned. Gripping all the way through in all its slow-burning artistry. Scorsese obviously threw away all of his regular, more commercially appealing mannerisms and delivered a film not for the masses or the box offices, but a pure cinematic experience.

Although I do not feel or personally understand the deep all-encompassing faith that is apparently worth so many sacrifices, this is all the more for me a film which explores these emotions and this phenomenon of the human spirit. It may be baffling how people endure so much torture for the unwillingness to denounce their God for a moment, but that exists, and Silence portrays it so intensely. Sure, the film stumbles a few moments, but this is minor. It's one of the best films of the year.

I had planned to watch something else in the evening when I got home, but now I can't put my mind on something else and don't want Silence to stop lingering. Apparently that's the impression it left on me.