• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Am I the only one who finds the capsizing / ball room flooding scenes in this version much more scary than those in the 2006 remake? The cast and the iconic score by Williams make this a classic disaster flick.

Volker

Love that film, really the first disaster movie. Nostalgic reasons, yes, but when I saw it again just a few years ago, I thought it held up pretty well. However, the score is one of my least favourite Williams scores.

I also hold the film in a special place for mostly nostalgic reasons. Williams score isn't high on my list of JW scores though that main title theme is superb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017
    [Love and Friendship

excellent, witty movie: i wasn't bored for a second. Kate Beckinsale's Lady Susan is one of my favorite characters. Tom Bennet was hilarious! Check it out; it's short and entertaining, like a piece of fluffy cake.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017
    Score: A Film Music Documentary

The iTunes cover has a picture of a conductor (you can only see his back). My first thought was it must be Horner. The documentary does well to cover film music from the silent era all the way to modern times. It does well up to the 80s, in my opinion. Out of the composers that emerged from that era, Thomas Newman, Elfman and Zimmer are given the attention they deserve. But you simply cannot attempt to objectively talk about the 80s, the 90s and skip into the 2000s without even mentioning James Horner. To my mind that’s just absurd. There was a very brief clip from Braveheart but that was it. Over the end credits there was an interview with James Cameron about “The Portrait” piece from Titanic that doesn’t do Horner any justice at all in the larger scheme of the documentary. It’s 90 minutes long by the way.

Can’t say I’m not disappointed. I wonder if anyone here has seen it? It came out on iTunes a few days ago.
  1. I've been looking forward to it, but I've heard about them shortchanging Horner. That's a real shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017
    Why was Horner left out?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Demetris wrote
    Why was Horner left out?

REVENGE
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yes, why? he refused to talk to them? was he alive when they were making the docu? i don't know the behind the scenes of this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't think he was alive when they started the shooting, no. I think the end credits tribute is a lovely way to bookend the film. While I think the film is a good 'missionary document', I have some issues with it -- it's unnecessarily scatterbrained, and it spends FAR too much time on John Williams (without actually having any new interviews with him).

Btw, I presented this film during a film festival here in Oslo before the summer, followed by a Q&A with Gaute Storaas and Henrik Skram. The house was jampacked.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw to tell you the truth i haven't seen it and i am more interested in the horner gossip rather than the film itself. I've read your reviews above and i am not impressed. But seriously, why leave Horner out? huge, illogical omission.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Btw to tell you the truth i haven't seen it and i am more interested in the horner gossip rather than the film itself. I've read your reviews above and i am not impressed. But seriously, why leave Horner out? huge, illogical omission.

Didn't you read the post above? I just said -- Horner was dead when this was in production. And he was not omitted; instead, they used archive footage and some new quotes by Cameron to make a decent tribute over the end credits.

I think you'd find some value in watching this, D, even if there is not a lot of new stuff for us hardcore film score fans. It's still great to hear the composers we all love talk about their artform.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017
    Has anyone seen mother! ?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Has anyone seen mother! ?

Yes, I have. Very disappointing. And I've pretty much liked everything Aronofsky has done up to this point.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017 edited
    From all I've read about it (not plot details, I'm staying away from those, just reactions) I think mother! is more than anything the kind of film you really need to see for yourself. Reactions differ wildly. It's very high on my to see list (next to The Beguiled, IT and The Killing of a Sacred Deer, whenever than one's coming out).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Arronofsky is confused i think, from Noah and afterwards, included.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    From all I've read about it (not plot details, I'm staying away from those, just reactions) I think mother! is more than anything the kind of film you really need to see for yourself. Reactions differ wildly. It's very high on my to see list (next to The Beguiled, IT and The Killing of a Sacred Deer, whenever than one's coming out).

THE BEGUILED was also a disappointment to me. But like you, I'm looking forward to SACRED DEER.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote

THE BEGUILED was also a disappointment to me. But like you, I'm looking forward to SACRED DEER.

Haha, friend of mine just asked me to go for a The Beguiled / mother! double bill this Sunday, so this'll be one disappointing evening cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, you might feel differently. THE BEGUILED was OK, but it's just that I have such a high bar for Sofia Coppola, and in this case she doesn't manage to balance the melodrama very well, IMO. Same with Aronofsky, really, but in this case he really gets lost in what he tries to do (at times painfully overt in its allegory). So I consider MOTHER! more or less a failure. THE BEGUILED is not. Like Haneke's HAPPY END, it's one of those Cannes films last year that were OK, but disappointing compared to what we normally expect from these auteurs.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On Sofia copolla, really, why? I mean other than the brilliant lost in translation, everything she's done since never lived up to that level or hype.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    On Sofia copolla, really, why? I mean other than the brilliant lost in translation, everything she's done since never lived up to that level or hype.

Oh, I disagree. Both MARIE ANTOINETTE and THE BLING RING were up there. I like SOMEWHERE too. But THE BLING RING was one of my favourite films that year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah right, I'm sure I'll feel differently about The Beguiled then. I think Sofia is an interesting auteur and each film of hers is worth seeing, but she's also hit or miss to me. Lost in Translation is obviously great, Marie Antoinette was a mixed bag for me - thought the concept was cool, but worked brilliantly in places but at other moments felt off, I didn't really care for Somewhere, and found The Bling Ring amusing. With The Beguiled she seems to tackle the kind of film I love (victorian / southern gothic) and is right up my alley. But I'm having an open mind about it - I know it's one of her more conventional films so I'm not expecting something too exceptional.

With mother! I expect Darren to do something wild, something that will get a response out of me. I'm try to stay as blank as possible going in, all I know is that it's incredibly decisive, and that's exactly how I want my Darren. Big fan of his - strong Noah defender, by the way.

When I was an intern at the Amsterdam Film Festival I fought to have The Fountain in its programme, which the actual programmers weren't too happy with - to ultimately have the film get high marks from our visitors and even a programmer going up to me after he saw the film the second time, saying how wrong he was in his negative assessment the first time and how all of a sudden the film 'clicked' with him. Hehe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, it's definitely WILD. Just not in a good way, IMO.

And yes, I belong to those few who liked NOAH too!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hehe, and that WILDness is exactly what makes me so curious about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Oh, it's definitely WILD. Just not in a good way, IMO.

And yes, I belong to those few who liked NOAH too!

Noah was the apex of his confusion so far. Interesting to see if mother surpasses. After black swan he doesn't really know what to do or where to lead his audiences? or perhaps frustrated that people expect so much off him? his apex was requiem, the fountain, black swan for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    the wrestler was a sleeper hit as well
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    Noah was the apex of his confusion so far. Interesting to see if mother surpasses. After black swan he doesn't really know what to do or where to lead his audiences? or perhaps frustrated that people expect so much off him? his apex was requiem, the fountain, black swan for me.

Demetris wrote

Huh? Noah is "the apex of his confusion", but you liked all of the other films he did? Since I take it from your words you haven't seen mother! yet? I think someone is confused... dizzy

So basically, what you mean to say is, you didn't like Noah. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Demetris wrote

Demetris wrote

Huh? Noah is "the apex of his confusion", but you liked all of the other films he did? Since I take it from your words you haven't seen mother! yet? I think someone is confused... dizzy

So basically, what you mean to say is, you didn't like Noah. wink

haven't seen mother.

noah was a confused arronofsky. completely out of his league, didn't know what to do with the material, too complex, too out there, too not leading anywhere, what's the meaning of that film? i wanted to like it so much but man, was he off or what smile it's his least arronofsky film to date.i haven't seen mother and i have no opinion on it until i do but i really hope he returns to what he knows how to do best. the trailer and premise seems a bit lars von trier to me and i hope it's not 'cause only lars can do lars well, so far wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's certainly not Lars von Trier. It's more Bunuel and Fellini on drugs, I would say -- especially from halfway into the film. It's a rather embarassing affair where Aronofsky himself says it has so much mystery, it will be the "talk of the year" etc., while in reality, it's just a jumbled mess with painfully overt symbolism. Nothing radical or mystery about it.

I'm confident that all of those who go into the movie expecting a Jennifer Lawrence horror movie, will leave the theatre midway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hmm, interesting, cause I'd say The Wrestler is his least Aronofsky film to date. Love or hate his films, they're all decisive and out there, ambitious, a different voice, something not tailor made to an audience, something that gets you talking - except for the melodramatic meh that is The Wrestler, if you ask me. Sure, it's competent, Rourke acts his heart out and everything, but I constantly had to remind myself I was seeing an Aronofsky film.

Noah, on the other hand, is an interesting take on the story which includes faith and doubt towards God, uncertainty of extremism, in a way using the biblical story as a form of religious extremism, and I loved the sequence that combined the evolution and the biblical telling of the creation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The wrestler is his most mature, inner-fighting inner-struggling character-centered film to date.I think he tried to do the same troubled character with noah ,which is a theme he frequently revisits, but created a religious mambo jambo mess imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No love for THE FOUNTAIN? I dig that.
    I am extremely serious.