• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2017
    yeah, I'm a fan of electronic music, but I've never liked Vangelis's stuff. Sometimes he feels like he's improvising, which I'm not a fan of. It all feels slightly shallow.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Do you dig electronic music at all? No problem, if you don't of course. I'm just curious. I myself love electronica and Vangelis is one of my heroes. smile
    PS: I often wondered how this film would have fared with a noir-coloured orchestral score. Not that I would want to miss Vangelis' score for anything in the world.

It's a noir coloured electronic score. It's an utterly brilliant score, Vangelis best film score imo and there is nothing shallow about his music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2017 edited
    Blade Runner is great. It's full of riveting scenes like this.

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote

tongue

that one was well done, eh? i love how you start to realize this isn't an ordinary photograph, that Deckard can see around objects.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Do you dig electronic music at all? No problem, if you don't of course. I'm just curious. I myself love electronica and Vangelis is one of my heroes. smile
    PS: I often wondered how this film would have fared with a noir-coloured orchestral score. Not that I would want to miss Vangelis' score for anything in the world.

It's a noir coloured electronic score. It's an utterly brilliant score, Vangelis best film score imo and there is nothing shallow about his music.

Didn't say otherwise. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Aidabaida wrote
    yeah, I'm a fan of electronic music, but I've never liked Vangelis's stuff. Sometimes he feels like he's improvising, which I'm not a fan of. It all feels slightly shallow.

He does improvize. He never had one piano lesson. He doesn't read a note of music. What do I care? His music is brilliant as it is. I would award him with the honorary doctorate of the Royal College of Music. Heck, half of the world's music wouldn't exist without autodidacts.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote

tongue

that one was well done, eh? i love how you start to realize this isn't an ordinary photograph, that Deckard can see around objects.

Like I said, riveting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote

He does improvize. He never had one piano lesson. He doesn't read a note of music. What do I care? His music is brilliant as it is. I would award him with the honorary doctorate of the Royal College of Music. Heck, half of the world's music wouldn't exist without autodidacts.

smile Volker

thanks!
  3. Independence Day: Resurgence

Saw the first film last week (for the 20th time I suppose) and this one now for the first time. Ohhh how music can make a film superior or just plain bad. This movie is entertainment wise okay, but everything the first had it doesn't have. The characters here are just boring, even the Goldblum vs Hirsch chemistry of the first film is not working here. The son of Will Smith lacks his father's macho behavior and some of the characters are just so uninteresting, I wonder why the hell they were put in there at all. The design and look of the film I hated the most, why the fuck do they have futuristic helicopters and shit? The guns with the alien technology I can live with, but the helicopters and such transport the world like it was 200 years further (not 20 years). And then we're gonna talk about the music. It adds nothing. No tension, no destructive force, no excitement and definitely no awe. Everything Arnold put in that original. You can hate or have your reservations about the first one, but you can not deny it elevated the first film to greater heights. And oh the humor of the first, how I missed that so much here.

Worth a look just to realize the first film is actually even better now.
    Bring back David Arnold you fucks and you might realize he was a vital part of your success back in the days.

Ps, was surprised to see Robert Loggia, but it seems it was filmed just before his death (and truthfully he didn't look to good at all shame )

5 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2017
    Baby Driver

....wow! I really can't overstate how much raw energy this film has. Like Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" it starts out rocking, keeps rocking, and doesn't flag until the very end.

There's likable characters, hilarious gags, furiously-paced action scenes, a witty script; not to mention actual surprising turns in the story, not exactly 'twists' as much as surprising decisions.

And I forgot to mention that everything moves in time to the music that the main character Baby listen to. Everything from gun shots to door slams to footsteps. The whole movie moves to its own internal beat.

Just great.
  4. Aidabaida wrote

The haunting atmosphere you talk about in Blade Runner, well half of that is Vangelis 'improvising'. And it's absolutely wonderful. It has taken me a long time to appreciate it away from the film but for the film it has always been magnificent. Truly original and inspirational music.

The film has also one of my favorite ever openings, much like Star Wars and Superman, in which everything (music, visuals, sound effects) just clicks perfectly to get you all excited for the movie that is to unfold.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. And interestingly, it's not even my favorite Ridley Scott opening. I'm torn between the 2001-inspired Alien and the Gladiator "hand in the wheat" shot. The trick is to gradually immerse in a world. The sound and music is insanely important to gain that effect. It might be a single synth sound (Black Hawk Down), a dissonant chord (Alien), the epic Blade Runner chord or even a slow swoosh on a cymbal (The Martian). It's all about immersing, drawing you in. The world might not be exactly the most inviting (Alien, Blade Runner), but you just can't help yourself smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Blade Runner is a film I want to love more than any other film. There are so many great things about it, most notably the visuals. That opening is superb, and promises so much. It's a masterpiece of special effects; the dour and depressing tone is wonderful; Rutger Haur is great; Vangelis's score is perfect; the philosophy is intriguing; and the end scene is admittedly very good. But ultimately it's so fucking boring.

It's a fantastic concept, as most Philip K. Dick films I've seen are, but there are too many flat, lifeless scenes. And Deckard is not an interesting character. Also, Ford and Young have no chemisty at all. It's a slog just to get to that end scene.

There are things I love about this movie, but I hate the movie itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    The haunting atmosphere you talk about in Blade Runner, well half of that is Vangelis 'improvising'.

no, because I found the atmosphere was almost destroyed everytime he came on. the mood only existed when he wasn't noodling about.
  6. I love every second. Nothing flat or boring about it. It's a philosophical essay with music and pictures. Science Fiction cinema at its very best.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I love every second. Nothing flat or boring about it. It's a philosophical essay with music and pictures. Science Fiction cinema at its very best.

smile Volker

As I said, I want to love it, I hear what you're saying... but I'll take Alien over Blade Runner any day. That's my kinda sci-fi. I want aliens and gore.
  7. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I love every second. Nothing flat or boring about it. It's a philosophical essay with music and pictures. Science Fiction cinema at its very best.

smile Volker

As I said, I want to love it, I hear what you're saying... but I'll take Alien over Blade Runner any day. That's my kinda sci-fi. I want aliens and gore.

I know what you mean, I prefer to watch Alien over Blade Runner too but the audiovisual aspect is so strong in the latter the film becomes a completely mesmerizing experience, just like 2001: A Space Odyssey does for me (albeit less abstract and long-winded than 2001).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Did anyone here ever see that 1998 Soldier film that is apparently connected to Blade Runner?

Volker

Yes, I have. Great movie, although the references to BLADE RUNNER are mostly tangential (for example referencing the battle at Orion (as in "attack ships on fire on the shoulder of Orion")); or perhaps it was Tannhauser Gate, I keep forgetting. It's nothing at all like BLADE RUNNER in terms of visuals or music -- the score is a straight-up Goldsmith tribute by McNeely -- but it has its own set of raw beauty, a great revenge film using formula to its advantage.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017 edited
    SCORE: A FILM MUSIC DOCUMENTARY

Not quite in-depth enough for any of us here; it does move along a little too quickly for anything of any weight to be learned. However I appreciate it's aimed at the lay-person. Still very watchable though and there's a rather lovely tribute to James Horner from James Cameron over the end credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017
    LSH wrote
    SCORE: A FILM MUSIC DOCUMENTARY

Not quite in-depth enough for any of us here; it does move along a little too quickly for anything of any weight to be learned. However I appreciate it's aimed at the lay-person. Still very watchable though and there's a rather lovely tribute to James Horner from James Cameron over the end credits.

Agreed. Although the Williams segment is MUCH too long.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Blade Runner (1982) - Ridley Scott

A brilliant blend of dystopia Kafkaesque science fiction and film noir. So much attention is given to detail, it all comes together. Enough has been said about Vangelis' iconic score these days.
    It occurred to me, how much Chinese/Japanese influenced LA resembles the Sprawl environment of Gibson's Neuromancer that would be released two years later. Given the human-KI interaction topic Dick did pave the way for cyber punk. So the film might well have influenced Gibson's novel.

Volker
  9. I think Gibson is on record saying that he watched Blade Runner in the cinema and started writing almost right after getting home?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2017
    Scarface

Been years since I watched this. I love De Palma and this is excellent of course, but not quite one of his very best I don’t think.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2017 edited
    Southall wrote
    Scarface

Been years since I watched this. I love De Palma and this is excellent of course, but not quite one of his very best I don’t think.

I don't think it stands up as well viewing this, as I have, decades later. It's still iconic and watchable, indeed excellent viewing but very OTT.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2017 edited
    A Ghost Story

Bewildering staggering terrifying masterpiece. my words won't give it justice.

could be seen as a companion to INTERSTELLAR, but its the superior film by far.

watch this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2017
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Scarface

I don't think it stands up as well viewing this, as I have, decades later. It's still iconic and watchable, indeed excellent viewing but very OTT.

Indeed. I was quite surprised by that. The score does not hold up well, but it's not the only thing. Still, very enjoyable.
  10. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Scarface

Indeed. I was quite surprised by that. The score does not hold up well, but it's not the only thing. Still, very enjoyable.

Moroder's music is awesome IMO. It needs a decent release.

Volker
  11. A prophecy that misread could have been...

IV
  12. Star Wars Rebels Spark of a Rebellion (2014)

Quite nice. A much better pilot than that shitty baby Jabba flick that got Clone Wars started.

Volker
  13. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Scarface

Not sure if there's another De Palma & Pacino collaboration but more so than Scarface, Carlito's Way is the one for me that stands out as being truly riveting. One of my favorite ever films, even without that fantastic sequence in the train station. And Doyle wrote a really moving piece for both opening and end credits.