• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2017
    Apes Battling and Stuff

really enjoyed this on the flight and Giacchino's score went way up in my estimation right to # 1 of this years releases, excellent stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Apes Battling and Stuff

really enjoyed this on the flight and Giacchino's score went way up in my estimation right to # 1 of this years releases, excellent stuff!

Apey Fighty Time is my favourite film of the year, and Giaccino's score is perfect for it. Some of that CGI is incredible. Imagine how it's going to look in another 10 years!?
  1. Last night we watch THE MUMMY (the new one). It was one of the worst films I’ve seen in a long time. I knew the critics had thrashed it, but I thought with McQaurrie and Cruise involved, and given the investment Universal is making in this new “Dark Universe,” there would surely be something of value in it even if it weren’t very good overall. I was wrong.
  2. As I understand the whole Dark Universe concept is currently stalled. Didn't the creative heads leave to do Star Trek Discovery?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    Apey Fighty Time is my favourite film of the year, and Giaccino's score is perfect for it. Some of that CGI is incredible. Imagine how it's going to look in another 10 years!?

you thought the CGI apes looked good? To me they looked maybe Pixar level; don't even stand up to the T-Rex from Jurassic Park!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't mock Pixar level. Looks pretty realistic to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    Don't mock Pixar level. Looks pretty realistic to me.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2017
    christopher wrote
    Last night we watch THE MUMMY (the new one). It was one of the worst films I’ve seen in a long time. I knew the critics had thrashed it, but I thought with McQaurrie and Cruise involved, and given the investment Universal is making in this new “Dark Universe,” there would surely be something of value in it even if it weren’t very good overall. I was wrong.

I agree. It's flabbergasting because Cruise is usually VERY good at selecting genre flicks. But this one was an utter failure.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Flatliners (1990) - Joel Schumacher

For the 20th time or so. Never fails to grip me. I'll probably ignore the sequel/remake though. I don't see the need for such a film.
    I NEED THE FANTASTIC SCORE BY JAMES NEWTON HOWARD! smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2017
    Indeed. A great score. I have an old boot with pretty good sound, but I'll chuck it away for a proper commercial release. I've seen the movie once, back in the 90s. Can't remember much, I'm afraid, but I'm up for another go soon.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. "Fair Game" (1986)

A sort of Mad Max-esque smaller setting/idea Australian film.

It's scored by Ahsley Irwin. He's worked a lot with Bill Conti, so I thought I'd give the score a chance.

Terrible film, terrible synth score (with a few real instruments). Avoid both like the Plague.
    Even skimming it was a bad idea.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. "House of Clocks" (1989)

Another film to avoid. A low budget, low-acting kill-thriller.

The score, which is al over the place stylistically, is by somebody named Vince Tempera. Only the opening credits (repraised for the end credits as well) is worth hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4sII-d1qE
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2017 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    "Fair Game" (1986)

A sort of Mad Max-esque smaller setting/idea Australian film.

It's scored by Ahsley Irwin. He's worked a lot with Bill Conti, so I thought I'd give the score a chance.

Terrible film, terrible synth score (with a few real instruments). Avoid both like the Plague.
    Even skimming it was a bad idea.

I rarely see the obscure TV/B movie stuff you do, Justin, but I think I've seen it -- having presumed I actually rented the US movie with the Mancina score. I can't remember a single thing of it.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Just how many films have actually been called Fair Game?! I also thought he'd mention the Whichever Baldwin/Cindy Crawford film, which may be idiotically awful but has one of Mancina's coolest opening cues biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. There's also the Doug Liman political thriller one that has one of John Powell's most forgettable scores.
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Just how many films have actually been called Fair Game?!

According to IMDb, nine film and TV movies. And three TV series. And a sequel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2017
    Just started to view: American Gods
    My word but this is a heady experience! Nigh-psychedelic, with a pervasive, almost disturbing dream-like quality throughout, this may be the best Neil Gaiman adaptation yet!
    I know (and love) the book, and am very curious to see if they can keep up the style without getting so dissociative that they'll lose casual interest.
    Not a series for binge watching, for sure: the amount of intense "input" , both visually and aurally, is such that one episode at a time fully suffices.

Brian Reitzell's soundtrack is alternately eerie, darkly bluesy, weirdly atonal, deeply (literally: so much bass!) soundscaping, fitting the series perfectly...although it's not something I'd ever listen to away from the show!

Heartily recommended, with a very clear proviso that it's definitely not for everyone!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2017 edited
    I’m watching this currently as well - how far are you?

For me, this veers between the brilliant (the slaveship opening of episode 2! And in general several of the intermezzo’s) and the melodramatical, visually at times stunning or too slick and CGI-colorful. But overall I’m impressed as well, especially how they’re not too afraid at times to steer away from the book, throw the chronology around or further develop things and expand upon the book. I think the best adaptations are not a slave of the source material and knows it’s a different medium, and I think the writers have found a very good way overall of adapting it and fully remain true to the spirit of the book, maybe even struck a better balance between the mythic and the earthly than the book manages. So I’m really enjoying it, but the quality wavers from scene to scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2017 edited
    The Force Awakens

I thought I'd give it another try just to see if I was being a bit harsh on it. But I've come away disliking this film even more.

It's a far better film than the prequels for sure, but it's not Star Wars. This is Disney's Star Wars, the lore isn't expanded at all, and it's littered with committee executive decisions expertly aimed at its intended market. I can't see past the cynicism of it all, and I can't be less excited about future Disney Star Wars films (save for their scores).

Bah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2017
    Steven wrote I can't see past the cynicism of it all

your cynicism? Or the movie's? Because the movie was optimistic and embraced its emotions without any hint of irony.
  9. The cold, calculating cynicism of the marketing strategy. Lamenting which is of course a bit trite. I agree with Steven anyway, safe for the fact that I rank the prequels as superior.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    The cold, calculating cynicism of the marketing strategy.

????
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2017
    Like I said, not a bad film in itself. But there are a few factors that I can't forgive: Daisy Ridley is annoying (and why is she English!?), her character is dull and badly written, and it relies heavily on nostalgia/things we recognise. It was a checklist of things that happen in a Star Wars film, and none of it had any impact on me. The destruction of the new Death Star planet for example. I felt nothing.

I do love BB8, a great robot design - but even he is essentially a new R2D2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow. I think Daisy Ridley is one of the BEST things about the whole film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    Like I said, not a bad film in itself. But there are a few factors that I can't forgive: Daisy Ridley is annoying (and why is she English!?)

I actually like that a lot. Reminds of Ben Kenobi: not only Star Wars baddies have to be English!

, her character is dull and badly written

I'd be curious to see why you'd think that?
    It's hardly Arthur Miller, but it's (obviously) not SUPPOSED to be. And I honestly can't think of even one single dull moment where she's involved.

, and it relies heavily on nostalgia/things we recognise.

Well, that WAS the whole point of the movie: to erase the bad aftertaste of the prequels (a mammoth task with all the cards stacked against it), and to hand over the torch. Which explains the "lazy" plot device of the "third Death Star". You're really not supposed to care (I don't think anyone did. It's just a McGuffin.)
    It's really mainly about Rey and Ren.

Again: he's supposed to be.

Guess it's all about what you expect from a saga.
    For the story and its elements to take a strong left turn with a completely different touch and feel simply won't do (as we've seen...). All the parts should be recognisable and relatable, bringing the whole thing back to a very archetypical, mythical level. And there ain't much leeway in fiddling about with the elements there.

Me, I thought and think The Force Awakens was brilliant.
    (And at the risk of stating the obvious, as I am generally not known for my lack of critical thinking, it's not mere fanboy talk either. Which anyone could be forgiven for to think in this particular case!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2017 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

[Rey's] character is dull and badly written

I'd be curious to see why you'd think that?

There's no tension or real character arc. She's already perfect (because, you know, she's a woman - such a strong female character for girls! rolleyes ). Ridley's accent is also distractingly English. I realise I'm in the minority, but I despise her. Finn isn't that much better either.

, and it relies heavily on nostalgia/things we recognise.

Well, that WAS the whole point of the movie: to erase the bad aftertaste of the prequels (a mammoth task with all the cards stacked against it), and to hand over the torch.

But why does the torch need to be handed over? This is MY whole point: do something new. I'm fed up of nostalgia trips.

Again: he's supposed to be.

Yeah, exactly. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    But why does the torch need to be handed over? This is MY whole point: do something new. I'm fed up of nostalgia trips.

Maybe I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
    It's Star Wars!
    You know what you'll get going in (which Lucas found out when he tried and make the whole damn thing some sort of House Of Cards In Space With Merchandise).

What kind of "new" would you expect?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    This is MY whole point: do something new. I'm fed up of nostalgia trips.

Maybe look for this in something that was not started in the 70’s?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017
    Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote

you thought the CGI apes looked good? To me they looked maybe Pixar level; don't even stand up to the T-Rex from Jurassic Park!

What was mind boggling then looks dated now, in the daylight scenes the dinos look "blancmangey" with too much "glide". Stan Winston's hardware was remarkable and gives the dinos their well deserved weight.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017
    Martijn wrote
    What kind of "new" would you expect?

The kind of new that Empire Strikes Back brought to Star Wars.