• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I’m not the best guy to ask. I usually only see the biggest films, and I usually don’t see them until they’re out of theaters, so I haven’t seen anything currently in theaters and probably won’t see any of the awards contenders until months after everyone else

That said, I really enjoyed SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING. That’s probably been my favorite film this year so far. I think it’s the best marvel film in a long time (haven’t seen Thor 3 yet, though) and probably the best Spider-Man film yet.

My least favorite film from this year was THE MUMMY. There was nothing about that film that I found enjoyable at all other than the score. Next to that, maybe BEAUTY AND THE BEAST or KONG SKULL ISLAND was my next least favorite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2017 edited
    Saw some movies the past weekend that I missed at the Gent Filmfestival.

KILLING OF A SACRED DEER
    Bizarre film with a macabre promise, similar to the absurd story in The Lobster but with more blood. Throughout the film, the son of one of the surgeon's (Colin Farell) patients is exceedingly creeping up the movie. Strong performance. Farell himself has to act without much emotion, which adds to the uneasiness. The ending disappointed me. However, I have no idea how to end the promise of this film well. The director must love ceiling fans.

YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
    A completely different movie than I expected, [spoiler]a lot more brutal[/spoiler]. Somber and dark acting by Phoenix, but for me it is not "best role of him ever" comments I read afterwards. Loved the ending here. All in all, a short but tense film that gripped me from the start.

And I have also seen SPOTLIGHT, terrific movie about the investigate journalists who uncovered the huge sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church of Boston (and well, as we've seen, almost anywhere in the Catholic world).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2017
    I really disliked SPOTLIGHT (a 2016 movie most places), and I thought KILLING OF A SACRED DEER was OK. But not quite on the ambitious, visionary level as Lanthimos' previous films, THE LOBSTER and especially DOGTOOTH -- his best so far.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    I really disliked SPOTLIGHT (a 2016 movie most places)

Why?

I thought KILLING OF A SACRED DEER was OK. But not quite on the ambitious, visionary level as Lanthimos' previous films, THE LOBSTER and especially DOGTOOTH -- his best so far.

I haven't seen the latter but for the most part I agree, although would rate it higher then "OK".
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Why?

Partially a personal thing. I have big problems with movies that are about lots of papers and phone calls and tons of information presented through dialogue (in other words, I'm not particularly excited for Spielberg's upcoming THE PAPERS, even if I did like his dialogue-heavy BRIDGE OF SPIES). I'm a visually oriented film geek, so these tend to fall through. But I also thought the pace was underdevelopped and a lot of the intrigue forced.

I haven't seen the latter but for the most part I agree, although would rate it higher then "OK".

OK, a little bit higher. I see I gave it 3 stars (of 5) on MUBI, and it currently features on my 35th place (out of 123 movies).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2017
    christopher wrote
    I’m not the best guy to ask. I usually only see the biggest films, and I usually don’t see them until they’re out of theaters, so I haven’t seen anything currently in theaters and probably won’t see any of the awards contenders until months after everyone else

That said, I really enjoyed SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING. That’s probably been my favorite film this year so far. I think it’s the best marvel film in a long time (haven’t seen Thor 3 yet, though) and probably the best Spider-Man film yet.

My least favorite film from this year was THE MUMMY. There was nothing about that film that I found enjoyable at all other than the score. Next to that, maybe BEAUTY AND THE BEAST or KONG SKULL ISLAND was my next least favorite.

Spider-Man was pretty good, way better than the abysmal Thor.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2017 edited
    THE LAST JEDI

Oh my!
    No, no spoilers. smile Suffice to say for now that -but for a few niggles- I prefer it over The Force Awakens.
    I'll go more in-depth (as if I could be any less in this post!) in a week or so.

But it surprised me, several times.
    It's attempting new things.
    And it kept me on the edge of my seat, the entire time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017
    Martijn wrote
    THE LAST JEDI

Oh my!
    No, no spoilers. smile Suffice to say for now that -but for a few niggles- I prefer it over The Force Awakens.
    I'll go more in-depth (as if I could be any less in this post!) in a week or so.

But it surprised me, several times.
    It's attempting new things.
    And it kept me on the edge of my seat, the entire time.

I'll say. Very (very) different from the previous seven. A few bits didn't quite work for me but I really, really liked it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017 edited
    I genuinely thought it was as bad as the prequels. What the hell happened? The Force Awakens was great.
  2. Anthony wrote
    I genuinely thought it was as bad as the prequels.

Oh? Good chance I'll love it then. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Anthony wrote

Oh? Good chance I'll love it then. wink

Notwithstanding the fact that you inexplicably like the prequels (well, I guess you were young, naive and still had a lot of growing up to do wink ), I fairly safely predict you'll like The Last Jedi.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I did. tremendously so. The Last Jedi does everything right that The Force Awakens already did plus it features a blast of a story. Yes, one minor and one major head scratch but a very good story nonetheless. The score makes a ton of more sense now for me. Thumps up!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017
    Anthony wrote

Really? slant

I'm not even that into Star Wars (apart from the music) but surely that is very unlikely. Well, I hope it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Anthony wrote

but... the prequels... aren't bad.

anyway, I'm down with a cold or flu or something nasty, so instead of The Last Jedi I settled for...

LOGAN LUCKY

Oh man, there were glimpses of the movie this could've been throughout, but it was so disappointing. Unlike movies like Ocean's 11 where things are constantly going wrong, forcing the heroes to think on their feet, the heroes plan works almost flawlessly in this movie! No real antagonist or suspense... just sort of people messing around. Some fun characters, but ultimately forgettable.

Ho hum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aidabaida wrote
    Anthony wrote

Yes, they are. Objetively so.
  4. Steven wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Anthony wrote

Yes, they are. Objectively so.

They are a matter of flaws and glories. But anyway, I like to put the theatre ticket into the score CD set after watching the movie. Anyone else here who does that? smile
  5. Oh, my!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote

Yes, they are. Objetively so.

Stuff like the podrace, the battle on geonosis, and the opening space battle over coruscant are better than anything in Rogue One or Force Awakens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There are tons of good things about the prequels, but those things have nothing to do with story or characters. But there are also tons of bad things about the prequels which have nothing to do with story or character which certainly don't help the poor writing and directing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    There are tons of good things about the prequels, but those things have nothing to do with story or characters. But there are also tons of bad things about the prequels which have nothing to do with story or character which certainly don't help the poor writing and directing.

eh. Episode III is an excellent character study, Episode II has a great mystery/intrigue story, Episode I has an impressive finale cutting between multiple stories at once.

I love the prequels, the imaginative wonder of Lucas's expansive universe remains for me undimmed by a few cheesy lines and poorly done comic relief.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I will say this about the prequels: at least they're different from the originals. (And don't ruin the Millennium Falcon like they ruin just about everything else.)
  6. Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote

eh. Episode III is an excellent character study, Episode II has a great mystery/intrigue story, Episode I has an impressive finale cutting between multiple stories at once.

I love the prequels, the imaginative wonder of Lucas's expansive universe remains for me undimmed by a few cheesy lines and poorly done comic relief.

cool beer kiss hug
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote

cool beer kiss hug

I guess Star Wars elicits emotional responses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aidabaida wrote
    Captain Future wrote

cool beer kiss hug

Fuck you.
  7. Steven wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Captain Future wrote

cool beer kiss hug

Fuck you.

I'd rather keep this Platonic. wink
  8. Plato, however, probably wouldn't wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2017
    I watched some films recently. Mostly on aeroplanes.

Wonder Woman

Pretty good. Easily the best of this universe of films. Could do with a proper score.

Spider-Man Homecoming

The score in this one is the only thing going for it. Awful film.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Can't believe how much I enjoyed this. I would give it a rating of two stars (out of three).

Valerian and the etc

A visual feast, creatively resplendent, breathtaking to look at. Delightfully silly French humour throughout. Loved it.

The Mummy

The new one. Absolutely, indescribably awful. I would give it a rating of zero stars (out of four).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2017 edited
    Southall wrote
    I watched some films recently. Mostly on aeroplanes.

Wonder Woman

Pretty good. Easily the best of this universe of films. Could do with a proper score.

Reasonable.

Spider-Man Homecoming

The score in this one is the only thing going for it. Awful film.

You didn't even enjoy the genuine, warm tone of the city/highschool scenes?

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Can't believe how much I enjoyed this. I would give it a rating of two stars (out of three).

How does one hate the personal, human Spider-Man Homecoming and enjoy the studio-concocted mess of Guardians 2?!

Valerian and the etc

A visual feast, creatively resplendent, breathtaking to look at. Delightfully silly French humour throughout. Loved it.

The Mummy

The new one. Absolutely, indescribably awful. I would give it a rating of zero stars (out of four).

sanity is restored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2017
    Southall wrote
    The Mummy

This is not only one of the worst films I've seen recently but also one of the most pointless.

I mean, seriously. This film = fuck all. It made me angry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017 edited
    The Last Jedi

Those few issues I had with the storyline (Finn's somewhat pointless side quest), only served to make me enjoy this more, because it was clear this was a story written by a person not a corporation.

I liked it a bit more than RETURN OF THE JEDI and a bit less than REVENGE OF THE SITH.

Also the movie has my favorite scene from the saga so far: [spoiler]Leia in space.[/spoiler]