• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Aidabaida wrote
    The Last Jedi

Those few issues I had with the storyline (Finn's somewhat pointless side quest), only served to make me enjoy this more, because it was clear this was a story written by a person not a corporation.

I liked it a bit more than RETURN OF THE JEDI and a bit less than REVENGE OF THE SITH.

Also the movie has my favorite scene from the saga so far: [spoiler]Leia in space.[/spoiler]

The more I think about the film the less I really like it. Actually such film anthologies should be produced like a TV show. Have an overall treatment, a visual concept, then get some craftsman director to execute what is asked for, not some writer-director who confuses popcorn cinema with art.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

For some reason I liked it film much more this time. Shore's score is outstanding.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Have an overall treatment, a visual concept, then get some craftsman director to execute what is asked for, not some writer-director who confuses popcorn cinema with art.

Volker

spin Star Wars just can't catch a break. When the "The director was just bossed around by the studio, there's no art here!" complaint doesn't work, it switches to, "The studio ought to boss around the director; there's too much art here!"

For some reason I liked it film much more this time. Shore's score is outstanding.

The hobbit movies are much better than people give them credit for, especially given the inhuman demands put on Jackson by the studio. The fact they're as good as they are is incredible. Jackson is a true writer-director who tries to create art out of popcorn-cinema. biggrin
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aidabaida wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Have an overall treatment, a visual concept, then get some craftsman director to execute what is asked for, not some writer-director who confuses popcorn cinema with art.

Volker

spin Star Wars just can't catch a break. When the "The director was just bossed around by the studio, there's no art here!" complaint doesn't work, it switches to, "The studio ought to boss around the director; there's too much art here!"

yeah I'm totally with you.
    I might even go so far as to say I've got your bach.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017
    Martijn wrote
    yeah I'm totally with you.

Well let's hope the disagreement between Captain Future and I doesn't turn into some type of soundtrack family fugue.
  3. I see you point boys. The beef I have here is somewhat the same I had with the Harry Potter series. The constant changes in directors, composers and other creative staff makes the series aesthetically uneven. I would have preferred more coherency here. I like it when they operate that way in the James Bond series where the single films aren't that closely connected.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

This pun's so bad it deserves a POST-mortem.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    I did. tremendously so. The Last Jedi does everything right that The Force Awakens already did plus it features a blast of a story. Yes, one minor and one major head scratch but a very good story nonetheless. The score makes a ton of more sense now for me. Thumps up!

Volker

Interesting. The more time goes by the more my initial enthusiasm gives way to feelings of disappointment and emptiness. [spoiler]You can reinterpret characters like Batman, Superman or James Bond. Whoever doesn't like Chris Nolan's Batman still has Tim Burton's to return to. If you don't like modern time James Bond films you still have the old ones. If you can't come to terms with Man of Steel, Chris Reeve is still there for you. But you have only one chance to tell the story of Luke Skywalker on the big screen. That's why I think Star Wars is the wrong franchise to take such a direction. The hate the Prequels received in some quarters always baffled me. "Hate" still is a world I refuse to use in relation to popcorn cinema. Still I can understand better now how people felt back then when those films didn't meet their expectations.[/spoiler]

Volker
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Valerian and the Lost Planet of Pandora (2017)

Meh in all aspects but the terrific score by Alexandre Desplat. I wish they had relied entirely on the score and skipped the songs.

Volker

Another film I changed my opinion about. I saw it for the second time now and obviously I was in the wrong mood the first time. Yes, there are some lifts from Avatar, but there is also a lot of creativity going on here. The film is a visual feast and Desplat's score rocks. Entertaining!
  6. JURASSIC WORLD. When's this going to end! By the numbers, boring tosh where I don't care what happens to anyone. That's a lie - I'm hoping everyone comes to a sticky end.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. THE LAST JEDI

Hmmm. The overall feeling having just seen the movie is that it was average overall. There seemed to be quite a few things happening that were not that interesting, a boring trip to a room full of aliens, and some stuff that provided an almost laugh-out-loud moment.

But there were some very spectacular images that made the price of the ticket worth it.

And the lift of the TIE fighter music for this film is even more of an distracting passage.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2017
    Dunkirk

Thanks for showing off your cool new WWII video game, Chris. Nice underwater levels. Shame about the soundtrack.

--------

Nolan is probably the most uneven director I know of. Of the movies I've seen...

Excellent - The Prestige
    Good - The Dark Knight Rises
    Passable - Batman Begins/Interstellar/Dunkirk
    Poor - Inception
    Bad - The Dark Knight
  8. I'd probably replace The Dark Knight with Dark Knight Rises, put Inception among his best, too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2017 edited
    Once again, our vast differences are on display, Aidabaida (not only in terms of political leanings, but also sheer preferences). My Nolan list would look extremely different.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'd probably replace The Dark Knight with Dark Knight Rises, put Inception among his best, too.

Inception has merit, but, like Dunkirk, I couldn't shake the feeling it resembled a video game more than a movie. But at least Dunkirk jumps straight into the game; Inception has a realllly long tutorial.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My list would look something like this:

1. INTERSTELLAR
    2. Inception
    3. Memento
    4. Insomnia
    5. The Batman Trilogy (I see it as one movie, although TDK is superior to BB)
    6. Dunkirk
    7. The Prestige

Haven't seen his shorts.

But even if I've ranked them, I can easily recommend all of them. Nolan hasn't made a bad movie thus far.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    THE LAST JEDI

Hmmm. The overall feeling having just seen the movie is that it was average overall. There seemed to be quite a few things happening that were not that interesting, a boring trip to a room full of aliens, and some stuff that provided an almost laugh-out-loud moment.

But there were some very spectacular images that made the price of the ticket worth it.

And the lift of the TIE fighter music for this film is even more of an distracting passage.

I think part of the general problem is, that at its core STAR WARS is a very simple universe. It was designed to tell one story. In contrast to that STAR TREK was conceived as a TV show and thus needed the complexity to serve as a background for multiple stories. That's why Lucas didn't really tell a new story with the Prequels but fleshed out the existing one, the same as Rogue One did. If you go beyond that story you either do an apologetic remake (as The Force Awakens did) or you deconstruct what came before (as The Last Jedi did). To have both in the same trilogy leaves you curious for the upcoming synthesis.
    Of course you can tell as much stories in this universe as you like but if you consider the expanded (or legend) universe: You either do away with the Skywalkers and the Jedi and you will come up with some general space opera or you stick to both and you will come up with some story that resembles very closely what has come before.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're spot on, Volker. Star Wars is a limited universe; good guys and space wizards vs space nazis. That's great, but that's why every film after Empire has, at least partially, failed. Yes, including Return of the Jedi.

Empire is the only Star Wars film I need.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2017
    Thor wrote
    My list would look something like this:

1. INTERSTELLAR
    2. Inception
    3. Memento
    4. Insomnia
    5. The Batman Trilogy (I see it as one movie, although TDK is superior to BB)
    6. Dunkirk
    7. The Prestige

Haven't seen his shorts.

But even if I've ranked them, I can easily recommend all of them. Nolan hasn't made a bad movie thus far.

Prestige as his lowest? shocked
  10. Captain Future wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    THE LAST JEDI

I think part of the general problem is, that at its core STAR WARS is a very simple universe. It was designed to tell one story. In contrast to that STAR TREK was conceived as a TV show and thus needed the complexity to serve as a background for multiple stories. That's why Lucas didn't really tell a new story with the Prequels but fleshed out the existing one, the same as Rogue One did. If you go beyond that story you either do an apologetic remake (as The Force Awakens did) or you deconstruct what came before (as The Last Jedi did). To have both in the same trilogy leaves you curious for the upcoming synthesis.
    Of course you can tell as much stories in this universe as you like but if you consider the expanded (or legend) universe: You either do away with the Skywalkers and the Jedi and you will come up with some general space opera or you stick to both and you will come up with some story that resembles very closely what has come before.

Volker

dizzy

That's WAY too much analysis for me. It just wasn't a very interesting or engaging story/movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2017 edited
    Aidabaida wrote

Prestige as his lowest? shocked

Yeah, good movie, but neither film nor theme engaged me much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2017 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote

dizzy

That's WAY too much analysis for me. It just wasn't a very interesting or engaging story/movie.

What do you expect? uhm Analysis is par for the course on a film and music forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote

Yeah, good movie, but neither film nor theme engaged me much.

I would have thought all the various layers and timelines and references and clues and hidden details would have appealed to you; per your review of Alien Covenant you seem to really like unpacking the thought hidden into a movie, and that thought is pretty densely packed into the allusive and elusive "Prestige"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I don't know why it didn't appeal to me. Maybe the whole 'magician' thing, which is not something I'm interested in. But it's been many years since I saw it.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Wonder Woman

This is OK to pass an evening with, but in the end this is a female version of Captain America, mixed with some Star Wars mythology and Matrix aesthetics. I think I'm getting to old for this kind of overly simple formulaic stuff.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2018 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Wonder Woman

This is OK to pass an evening with, but in the end this is a female version of Captain America, mixed with some Star Wars mythology and Matrix aesthetics. I think I'm getting to old for this kind of overly simple formulaic stuff.

Volker

Hmmmmm I'm not sure it has to do with growing up so much...maybe wonder woman is just a pretty lame movie with an awful ending.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
    ― C.S. Lewis
  12. Ghost in the Shell (2017)

I found the BluRay in a bargain bin today (already?). I enjoyed it far more than I expected I would. As has been pointed out elsewhere they cite some of the scenes of the anime film almost verbatim. Still I believe this is a viable take on the story. It has Blade Runner written all over it but then most of these cyber punk films have. The score by Mansell/Balfe is suites the film but is nothing I will need apart from it. What stays in mind is the cue from the original anime score that leads into the end titles.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    Ghost in the Shell (2017)

I found the BluRay in a bargain bin today (already?). I enjoyed it far more than I expected I would. As has been pointed out elsewhere they cite some of the scenes of the anime film almost verbatim. Still I believe this is a viable take on the story. It has Blade Runner written all over it but then most of these cyber punk films have. The score by Mansell/Balfe is suites the film but is nothing I will need apart from it. What stays in mind is the cue from the original anime score that leads into the end titles.

Volker

One of my favourite movies of last year!
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Really? I found it completely generic. Not even visually interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2018 edited
    One of the most visually stunning movies last year, for sure. Absolutely drop dead gorgeous. Enjoyed the slightly more streamlined storyline too (was never a big fan of the original). It clocked in at my 14th place (out of 135 movies seen).
    I am extremely serious.