• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2018 edited
    Aidabaida wrote
    Also I thought HZ's score was as awful as Vangelis's from the first one. I guess I just dislike the blade runner music intensely.

Ha, ha....you're nothing if not a unique character, Aidabaida.

BLADE RUNNER is one of the best films ever, with one of the best scores ever.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I adore the first score (and film) and I like the second.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2018
    Thor wrote

I'm younger than everyone on this board, so maybe I just don't have the "mind blown after seeing it for the first time" nostalgia.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  2. Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in Moonraker (1979)

Campy scifi Bond. Essentially everything in this film is utterly ridiculous. Even so it makes me grin like a fool from beginning to end. The gondola chase in Venice makes me puffy with laughter. RIP Roger Moore.
    And of course John Barry outdoes himself.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm younger than everyone on this board, so maybe I just don't have the "mind blown after seeing it for the first time" nostalgia.

That, or you just don't see brilliance when it stares you in the eye. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote

Mr Desplat would like a word with you.
  3. I doubt that
    Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote

Mr Desplat would like a word with you.

I doubt that. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote

I doubt that. tongue

if Thor and Desplat ever met, I expect it would go something like the meeting between Dave Bautista and Ryan Gosling at the opening of Blade Runner 2049
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Blade Runner is a gorgeous film with a fantastic premise with a unique and wonderful score. It's also one of the most boring films I've ever seen. I've never wanted to like a film I dislike more than Blade Runner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I watched the Spielberg documentary the other day (the one imaginatively called Spielberg, whose final act is to see the director name John Williams as his most important collaborator) and it inspired me to rewatch Minority Report, an excellent film. Great "adult blockbuster" in that it is very enjoyable at a surface level but also prompts a bit of deeper thought if you want it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2018 edited
    Southall wrote
    I watched the Spielberg documentary the other day (the one imaginatively called Spielberg, whose final act is to see the director name John Williams as his most important collaborator) and it inspired me to rewatch Minority Report, an excellent film. Great "adult blockbuster" in that it is very enjoyable at a surface level but also prompts a bit of deeper thought if you want it.

Susan Lacy's SPIELBERG is one of my top 20 favourite movies of 2017 (even if there is no new information for hardcore fans like myself)!

And yes, MINORITY REPORT is bloody brilliant.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2018
    Steven wrote
    Blade Runner is a gorgeous film with a fantastic premise with a unique and wonderful score. It's also one of the most boring films I've ever seen. I've never wanted to like a film I dislike more than Blade Runner.

I dislike every film that I want to like. Often I find when I have massively high expectations for a movie, I have to watch it twice, the second time now accepting its true quality and adjusting my expectations accordingly.
  4. Whoever is going to watch Blade Runner 2049 next, make sure you watch the three mini-movies they released beforehand, since they bring you up to speed to what has happened since the original in a slightly more informative way than the movie does itself. You might enjoy at least one scene in the movie quite a bit more, too. I'm not saying they are necessary, but they are a nice bonus, and you will profit more from watching them beforehand than afterwards.

2022: Blackout
    2036: Nexus Dawn
    2048: Nowhere To Run

That said, yes, BR 2049 is a fantastic movie. I was surprised it got as hyped as it did because I don't think it has the stuff they usually love to hype. Nevertheless, spectacular.

Make sure you use the best screen and sound available to you, Captain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2018
    Loving Vincent

absolutely terrific, but not a masterpiece. a bravura technical achievement, and it packs an emotional punch.
  5. Jason Bourne

Urghh how could this film get so bad (considering Greengrass and Damon are back on board). Apart from a rather thrilling car-chase at the end, this fails where all the other 3 Bourne's succeeded. It's more about running after people (even the so called Asset gets carte blance to kill agents of the agency like that). The music doesn't help whatsoever and everyone runs uninspired around. Pff, even The Bourne Legacy was much better than this.

5 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jason Bourne

Urghh how could this film get so bad (considering Greengrass and Damon are back on board). Apart from a rather thrilling car-chase at the end, this fails where all the other 3 Bourne's succeeded. It's more about running after people (even the so called Asset gets carte blance to kill agents of the agency like that). The music doesn't help whatsoever and everyone runs uninspired around. Pff, even The Bourne Legacy was much better than this.

5 out of 10

I actually liked that movie so much, it ended up on my Top 10 last year. I think it had something to do with the more "mechanical" feel of the action sequences, and Bourne's almost John Rambo-like story and performance.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I was really disappointed by that film. The original trilogy was just excellent. I thought this one was a tired retread of better things from the previous films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Vice versa, I thought it was a great return to what made those three films so good. And -- most importantly -- a tangible, more mechanical and thus more 'grounded' action film than a lot of other action films we see these days.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I finished season one "Wiseguy". Very good season.

Season two started off good, but about before mid way in, it fell into shit; some stupid annoying plot about a music recording business and the people who work there. Just terrible. Around the end there were two or three episode with parts watchable enough.

Yesterday I finished season three. Much much better. Not quite season one, but still good. Also, the scoring was way more memorable in season three, including the off-kilter piano cues in "People Do it All the Time". I suspect Post was too busy (he was scoring a ton of stuff every year) and this was more Walter Murphy than Post.

Unfortunately, season four is about to hit. Ken Wahl, who played the show's lead, Vince Terranova, departed because CBS wanted to make it more action oriented as opposed to character drama oriented. This left a sudden voice and a new wiseguy was created. CBS's "genius" revamp of the show caused it to get canned nine episodes in.
    I liked the percussion-lead new arrangement of the theme though. Velton Ray Bunch took over as composer. I hope to enjoy his scoring.

Ken Wahl would come back to do a "Wiseguy" TV movie years later, then he retired from acting after a horrible accident that nearly left him a quadriplegic for life.

Turns out in real life the actor was something of a little rough along the edges like his character, as he got hurt and claimed he was in a motorcycle accident, but it turns out he got in a fight after having sex with Rodney Dangerfield's girlfriend (of wife -- I don't recall). Rodney would go on stage and tells jokes about he gets no respect at all from his wife -- turns out there was truth to that! I of course looked up what she looked like and, well ... I'd have been tempted, too.

The TV supposedly essentially wipes out season four, but I'll find out when I watch it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2018
    I've been going through all of Spielberg's movies, most of which I haven't seen before. Last night was Hook, which I have seen but not since I was a kid. It's a little goofy at times and the sets clearly suffer from the limitations of the time but man, Robin Williams and especially John Williams make the movie go by quickly, despite its length.

Even the weakest films of his I've seen so far (like 1941 and Always) are watchable thanks to the sheer skill of the director and of course, John Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2018 edited
    jb1234 wrote
    I've been going through all of Spielberg's movies, most of which I haven't seen before. Last night was Hook, which I have seen but not since I was a kid. It's a little goofy at times and the sets clearly suffer from the limitations of the time but man, Robin Williams and especially John Williams make the movie go by quickly, despite its length.

Sets "suffer"? It's one of the most impressive sets and production designs of all time! Almost half of the film's value lies there, and -- along with the two Williamses -- is one of the main reasons why I've always liked that film.

Even the weakest films of his I've seen so far (like 1941 and Always) are watchable thanks to the sheer skill of the director and of course, John Williams.

I rewatched ALWAYS recently too (as I got it on BR in a new Spielberg box), and was highly impressed. It was much, much better than I had remembered, including the score. He nails the Victor Fleming influence perfectly!

But yeah -- 1941 is weak. Even the directorial skills or the visuals don't help it.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Sets "suffer"? It's one of the most impressive sets and production designs of all time! Almost half of the film's value lies there, and -- along with the two Williamses -- is one of the main reasons why I've always liked that film.

The thing is, while I agree that the Hook sets are great-looking and are super busy and detailed and meticulous and well-designed - at the same time they still look very obviously like sets. Great sets, but there's a very "stagey" feel to the whole film that kind of cuts down on the whole wonder/fantasy angle. You never actually feel like you're on Neverland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2018
    Yeah, they do look 'stagey' -- but that's intentional. It's an extension of the early school play fantasy, now taken to the extreme as Peter has made his entire WORLD a school play. But for me, they've always been stagey in an envelopping way, not 'distancing'. Just as I buy AVATAR's very obvious CGI world, so too do I buy HOOK's very obvious 'built' world.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. That's a fair interpretation, but it just doesn't really work for me. I like immersion. Avatar certainly didn't pose any problems on that front.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2018
    Yeah, I guess we experience 'immersion' differently. I had no problem with immersion in either of those two movies. But I can understand how 'artifice' may be offputting to some.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I'm with Thor here. The one thing that always bucked me with Hook is the Rufio character and even that is a minor quibble.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2018
    Yeah, my primary complaint with the sets is that they're very clearly sets. It broke immersion for me. But I can see how people would like them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I've always liked stylized sets so long as they are consistent in style throughout the whole movie. Wes Anderson is incredibly stylized but since every scene is set up like a dollhouse, you can still become immersed, whereas if that was only used for a few scenes, it wouldn't work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    I've always liked stylized sets so long as they are consistent in style throughout the whole movie. Wes Anderson is incredibly stylized but since every scene is set up like a dollhouse, you can still become immersed, whereas if that was only used for a few scenes, it wouldn't work.

I'd agree with that, although I've always disliked Wes Anderson (but for other reasons, mostly do to with tone).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2018
    When you read this Recently Viewing thread, it reads like a quiz show: everyone watches movies then takes a guess at how good they are, then Thor lets us know if we were right or wrong. wink