• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2018
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation was a delight. Cruise is a mad man with some of the stunts here (as usual) and some of the set pieces blew my mind. And what a pleasure it was to hear Joe Kraemer's fantastic score mixed LOUD AS HELL. A massive bummer he's not returning for the next film.
  1. I really enjoyed that film and score. I just can't imagine why they didn't want Kraemer back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2018
    Rogue Nation was one of the best paced movies I've seen in a long time. It hit the perfect balance between satirizing and embracing spy movie tropes. Alec baldwin knocked it out of the park.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2018 edited
    Black Panther

I imagine the same people who bashed Avatar for its story will also not like this movie. Everyone else will get what an amazing achievement it is, on every level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2018
    Now You See Me 2

gave up after 1 hr.
  2. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Black Panther

I imagine the same people who bashed Avatar for its story will also not like this movie. Everyone else will get what an amazing achievement it is, on every level.

Why would that be?

I mean, the story of Avatar was maybe a bit cliche, but it was effective. It was the writing that was at times dodgy at best and in one case actually betrayed the tone of the film (what is a 1980s action film villain doing in Dances with Wolves?!)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. If future generations talk about Avatar and Black Panther, it won't be because of the story or the writing. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

I laughed a lot, and it had the same cool scenes of the first. But where on earth did this penis humor came from? I loved the first film so much because it avoided being sexually funny and yet be incredibly hilarious. This rude humor doesn't suit the film, nor does the Superman ending where he suddenly flies around thrashing everything. Anyway, baby Groot was cute as hell and it had a lot of funny moments. But this one fails in both the story as its rude humor

6 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2018 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    But where on earth did this penis humor came from? I loved the first film so much because it avoided being sexually funny and yet be incredibly hilarious. This rude humor doesn't suit the film

Ehm, as far as I know, the original also had its fair share of sexual innuendo, including the controversial reference towards Gamora as being a “whore”, Peter’s comment about her behind, and some other humor that could be considered sexist. I checked with the parental guides and in general volume 2 is considered “tamer than the first movie” in this regards, except for “45:50 - 46:28 A brief discussion about a man's penis and "making babies". -- IMDb Parents' Guide: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)”.

So maybe you’re just not as comfortable with (or used to) references towards the male sex organ that it so sticks out for you?
  5. Yeah, I didn't notice much of a change in the level of rude humor from 1 to 2. There's a bit in both of them, but not very much.
  6. Excalibur (1981)

Does anyone now if that Flying Dutchman release of the music featuring the original score by Trevor Jones is legitimate. Or is that a bootleg?

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2018
    christopher wrote
    I really enjoyed that film and score. I just can't imagine why they didn't want Kraemer back.

I try not to think about it. I'm worried they're going to bring in one of the RC guys.
  7. BobdH wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    But where on earth did this penis humor came from? I loved the first film so much because it avoided being sexually funny and yet be incredibly hilarious. This rude humor doesn't suit the film

Ehm, as far as I know, the original also had its fair share of sexual innuendo, including the controversial reference towards Gamora as being a “whore”, Peter’s comment about her behind, and some other humor that could be considered sexist. I checked with the parental guides and in general volume 2 is considered “tamer than the first movie” in this regards, except for “45:50 - 46:28 A brief discussion about a man's penis and "making babies". -- IMDb Parents' Guide: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)”.

So maybe you’re just not as comfortable with (or used to) references towards the male sex organ that it so sticks out for you?

I have zero problem with any sort of vulgar commentary, but here it felt like it had to make the joke (the penis reference, the turd remark, the fact about the parents of Quill having sex). I mean here it was used to make everyone laugh. I felt the original used it more subtle or at least not so offensive. Again I laughed my ass off with this one, even more than the first. But somehow I felt it degrading for this picture. That and the lame story of the second film made it far less magical. It just overdid everything. But that's the problem how Hollywood treats its sequels I guess ...
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2018
    The Shape Of Water

It's okay, but a little Oscar-baity. I'll have forgotten it by the end of the week.

Desplat's score is annoyingly quirky.

Someone said that it had some sort of an Anti-Trump agenda? If it did, it hid it well...
  8. Aidabaida wrote
    Now You See Me 2

gave up after 1 hr.

Or:

Now you see it, now you don't.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2018
    Black Panther

another mediocre marvel movie
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2018 edited
    Colossal

What a terrific film; it's very original but doesn't sacrifice good character development and pacing for gimmicks. Too bad this one didn't turn in a profit. You don't know what you're going to get from the next scene; uproarious dark comedy or nail biting suspense, and that keeps you invested throughout. It also contains the most despicable villain I've encountered for a while. Highly, highly recommended.
  9. Aidabaida wrote
    Black Panther

another mediocre marvel movie

Mediocre? Hardly! I think its their best in ages, possibly of the entire MCU.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2018 edited
    Marvel films are reliably good; a balance of mediocrity and very good. The mediocrity often comes in the formulaic approach of a bad guy -with no little to no personality- that wants power, by means of some MacGuffin, ultimately ending in a big CGI city-destroying scene. The excellence is the protagonists, their interactions with each other and the subsequent humour.

I've not seen Black Panther though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Mediocre? Hardly! I think its their best in ages, possibly of the entire MCU.

hmmm. it's the worst paced of the MCU (and that's saying something...), with an interminable first hour of filler and a second hour unbelievably rushed. Even the best actors (and there was excellent acting here), can't salvage such a dire script entirely. It was really the terrific score and the strong performance by Chadwick Boseman that kept it above terrible for me. By the time the movie had devolved into awful CGI rhinos tromping around as people punched each other in the face on a big field, I had stopped caring entirely.
  10. You mean a wonderful first hour of the best and most unique world-building I've seen in the movies in a very, very long time? Because I was absolutely blown away by the production design here, maybe to enough of a degree that I was a little blinded to the pacing of the actual plot.

Steven, if nothing else, Black Panther certainly avoids the "MCU stock villain syndrome".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2018 edited
    You mean a wonderful first hour of the best and most unique world-building I've seen in the movies in a very, very long time?

"World-building" always feels like the go to excuse for pointless side-quests and non-starter scenes. Anything could be justified as "deepening the culture". Good storytelling is about revealing the culture while furthering the narrative, and Black Panther took an hour to get started and then gave the villain about fifteen minutes of screentime. So, essentially, your average, passable, marvel movie, with just enough "social commentary" to make the critics happy, and just enough people punching other people in the face to keep the children entertained.

I don't mean to sound too cynical, but it seems people have grown awfully forgiving to these films. So long as they're watchable and introduce some type of theme, it's "one of the best overall". Maybe there's just a low bar.

EDIT: This came out way more negative than I had intended. Apologies about that. Just a movie.
  11. You're talking to a guy who has probably spent more time with Skyrim than any other single piece of media in my lifetime. Second place is probably a certain fantasy novel that starts out with a 50-page introduction that includes detailed descriptions of how the Shire's police force operates. In other words, give me all the pointless sidequests you can think of if they take place in and add to a world that feels deep and rich and unique. I value that higher than even narrative, frankly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    You're talking to a guy who has probably spent more time with Skyrim than any other single piece of media in my lifetime. Second place is probably a certain fantasy novel that starts out with a 50-page introduction that includes detailed descriptions of how the Shire's police force operates. In other words, give me all the pointless sidequests you can think of if they take place in and add to a world that feels deep and rich and unique. I value that higher than even narrative, frankly.

I don't understand this point of view. A well told narrative can, at its best, make one a better person, provide insight into the perspectives of others, and explore interesting and important ideas. What can learning the excruciating details of a fictional country's police force do other than provide empty escapism?
  12. I like escapism. I like immersion. It's my guilty pleasure I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I like escapism. I like immersion. It's my guilty pleasure I guess.

Well it's not like I don't enjoy being immersed in a story. I just find that comes from the characters and events, not the details of the setting.
  13. I guess the difference is that immersing oneself in a single, coherent, pre-planned storyline is better for that one storyline, but also a more passive activity, while engaging a whole world and fantasizing about what other stories might be found there is a more active... activity. Both have their merits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2018
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I guess the difference is that immersing oneself in a single, coherent, pre-planned storyline is better for that one storyline, but also a more passive activity, while engaging a whole world and fantasizing about what other stories might be found there is a more active... activity. Both have their merits.

Well I know as someone who likes to write that it is really easy to continually layer on more detail about the setting and "world", to write the "seven names of the ancient waterfall" and sketch out the lineage and economic system of Gothmagistan or such. It is much harder to craft a - in your words - cohererent, pre-planned storyline, and find the balance between simplicity and nuance. Moreover, while one might indeed become immersed in a well-told story, that is not all a well-told story might offer, whereas immersion is the sole point of world-building, how else are the seven names of the ancient waterfall applicable, useful, or even emotionally potent?

So if all we're aiming for in a story is immersion, I suppose I'd agree with you, but can't a good movie or book do a lot more than just make you forget about your problems for a few hours? At their best, they can even provide a solution for those problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2018
    I'm with Aida. It's the reason I prefer Game of Thrones over Lord of the Rings. Game of Thrones is character and story with added fantasy elements; Lord of the Rings is fantasy with added character and story elements. I tried reading the books when the films were at the height of their popularity, but I couldn't even make it out of the Shire. World building is fine as long as it aids the story. (Prometheus builds upon the world of Alien, but Alien was never a story that needed it.)

That said, I'm also a sucker for a good concept, i.e. sci-fi, even if I don't enjoy the story itself. I love the concept of Blade Runner for example, it's Philip K. Dick after all, but the actual story and its characters is chloroform in celluloid.
  14. Well, my favourite science fiction novel, Frank Herbert's Dune, consists of highly detailed word building, dialogue and rather few action. So, there you go. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.