• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2018 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Check out Alex Garland's recent ANNIHILATION instead, also with all-female cast.

This was marginally better that EX MACHINA - but only just. And I didn't much like EX MACHINA.

We're obviously far apart here. I think EX MACHINA may very well be the best film of the entire 2010s so far (at least up there). ANNHILIATION is nowhere near that level, and struggles with elements related to character development and narrative structure, but the whole mise-en-scene and ideas communicated through visuals makes it one of my favourite movies of 2018 so far.

I'm less interested in making a 'political point' out of the all-female cast, though (pr. the GHOSTBUSTERS discussion). It's not really that relevant. But worth pointing out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2018
    well I hate to ruin the mood of the political conversations, but my 7-year-old sister and I just watched...

Monsters University

which is not a classic like the original, but takes several impressive and bold risks during its final third, that make up for the lackluster opening.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2018 edited
    I don't know. I remember Ghostbusters being bashed from the get go for its female cast, long before it was finished and released. I never had a problem with the aspect or the agenda, and I didn't really care about the whole discussion at all, because I think it's ridiculous.

Same with casting a female Doctor. So this character can change sex. Great. Let's do it and see how it works. Yeah, I know it has been "demanded" for years from certain parts of the fandom. But why not? Let's do it and see how it works. Interestingly, whenever I checked for the percentage of dislikes on general social media platforms on any news regarding Jodie, I found that it was 2-3%, mostly, who didn't think too highly about the concept. Most people embraced it. Not least because Jodie is a brilliant actress.

I won't even start about Star Wars. I'm deeply amazed how a movie and a filmmaker can gather that much hate.

I think the idea of remakes ruining originals is utter nonsense. Personally, I find that a bad remake makes the original shine even more. I doubt I will ever not like the original Ghostbusters. And Star Wars? When has a new movie not been criticised, ever? Especially since they put out one movie after another, it's not that you have to wait another decade now to get another one that might be better suited to your taste.
  1. That's not a matter of sense or nonsense. It's a matter of subjective perception. Hating popcorn films is nonsense. I agree on that.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2018
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I don't know. I remember Ghostbusters being bashed from the get go for its female cast, long before it was finished and released. I never had a problem with the aspect or the agenda, and I didn't really care about the whole discussion at all, because I think it's ridiculous.

Again, it was almost completely manufactured outrage. If you were reading certain blogs and articles about the film, you'd be forgiven for thinking the all-female cast was the issue -- but in reality, nobody cared. And, again, agendas aren't necessarily bad, but the cynical approach much of the marketing and hype surrounding Ghostbusters 2016 took - "Misogynists hate this film because it's all-female! That's the only reason people dislike this film, and if you dislike it you're obviously a woman-hating dinosaur!" - is what enraged or irked a lot of people, coupled with the fact that the trailer and ultimately the film were very poor.
  2. The BFG (2016)

I finally saw this film and I enjoyed it all around. A minor quibble would be that Sophie as a real person seemed out of place in the midst of all the animated stuff in certain scenes. You could see her acting before the blue screen.
    Williams' score has ever grown on me and it experiencing it in context elevated my appreciation even more.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2018
    The Hurricane Heist

Absolutely one of the worst films I've ever seen. Quite gloriously terrible in every way. Only Lorne Balfe's life-sucking,joyless monstrosity of a score - which literally any person on this messageboard could have written in about four minnutes - prevents it from being one of the best so-bad-it's-good films.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Southall wrote
    The Hurricane Heist

Absolutely one of the worst films I've ever seen. Quite gloriously terrible in every way. Only Lorne Balfe's life-sucking,joyless monstrosity of a score - which literally any person on this messageboard could have written in about four minnutes - prevents it from being one of the best so-bad-it's-good films.

Nah, it would have taken me about two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    The Hurricane Heist

beer

I caught the beginning of this the other night but just couldn't hold on...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2018
    The Incredibles

the first and only kids movie where someone gets sued for rescuing a suicidal jumper who wanted to die.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2018
    John Wick

What a strange movie this is. I loved the way it hinted at a system of assassins and secret agents, and all the scenes at the hotel were brilliant. Unfortunately, it dips into cliches later, (hero and villain throwing down their guns in the final fight and declaring "Just you and me!"), and I couldn't help but wish for a whole movie set in the hotel, full of ingenious battles and hair's breadth suspense, heroes and villains residing next door... So ultimately this was a dynamic, well-paced, yet ultimately highly unsatisfying movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "He's a white guy with a moustache, about six foot three."
    "That's an awfully big moustache."

Yes, I am watching Naked Gun 2 1/2. Why shouldn't I?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ah, I just remembered my favourite line from Police Squad, when Drebin goes to question a widow: "Sorry to trouble you at such a difficult time. We would have come sooner, but your husband wasn't dead then."
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2018 edited
    Lost In Space (Netflix)

This definitely wasn't as good as I thought (or hoping) it was going to be. None of the Robinson family are particularly likeable - but they do seem to be invincible. It would have been reasonably interesting if it was just the family trying to survive but the imminent arrival of "Dr. Z. Smith" doesn't bode well for the family or the show.

I was surprised that Christopher Lennertz' score didn't make more of an impact in the pilot episode. Although I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, all the 'buzz' about it had me looking forward to hearing it in the show. Perhaps his music away from the show is the best way to experience it after all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2018
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Lost In Space (Netflix)

This definitely wasn't as good as I thought (or hoping) it was going to be. None of the Robinson family are particularly likeable - but they do seem to be invincible. It would have been reasonably interesting if it was just the family trying to survive but the imminent arrival of "Dr. Z. Smith" doesn't bode well for the family or the show.

I was surprised that Christopher Lennertz' score didn't make more of an impact in the pilot episode. Although I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, all the 'buzz' about it had me looking forward to hearing it in the show. Perhaps his music away from the show is the best way to experience it after all.

I've finished it, and really like the show. They finally managed to make something out of the potential in the old, crappy show. Did you watch the original, Alan? Doctor Smith is that show's antagonist (although a man in that case), so there would be no reboot without that character in some form.

As for the score, I like it when the JW theme is referenced. But a lot of the other stuff comes off as directionless, orchestral noodling. Both in the series and on album. Disappointing.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I watched the original when I was a child and enjoyed it. I've seen some episodes again more recently and just found it annoying. Especially Dr. Smith. I could never understand why the Robinsons didn't just dump him somewhere and be rid of him. But, he WAS the show back then.

I am assuming that this new Dr. Smith is going to be just as devious and self-centred as before?

But a good thing about the original show was that the stories seemed more about their day-to-day survival. I just can't be bothered by the 'baggage' all the current members of the family have brought with them. And am I right in thinking that the Robinsons aren't the only group lost in space? Don't the writers think that they can sustain a series just with the core family?

I agree that Lennertz' score just meanders from idea to idea without really going anywhere most of the time. But it does have some enjoyable parts. And when he quotes complete versions of Williams' theme, that's good.

My question is whether to try a few more episodes? (I am glad that I stuck with STAR TREK DISCOVERY - that picked up really well as the series progressed. And not thinking of it as a Star Trek show helped too.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am assuming that this new Dr. Smith is going to be just as devious and self-centred as before?

Yes, more or less. Although by the end of season 1, we still don't know her motivations. That's fuel for a (hopeful) second season.

But a good thing about the original show was that the stories seemed more about their day-to-day survival. I just can't be bothered by the 'baggage' all the current members of the family have brought with them. And am I right in thinking that the Robinsons aren't the only group lost in space? Don't the writers think that they can sustain a series just with the core family?

Yes, this will be adressed shortly, if you stick with the series for a few more episodes.

I found this an easy series to binge. I wanted MORE of the world after each episode. Less concerned with the characters and what happens to them. It was kinda AVATAR-ish that way.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Just watched episode 2 and I thought that it was much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2018 edited
    I finally got around to watching Favreau's live action version of the Jungle Book. Sometimes the dreamy animation and John Debney's derivative but majestic score are physically awe inspiring... other times the movie seems to drag. The kid who played Mowgli acted his little heart out!

My sister (7 years old) thought it was great, but said it was the scariest movie she's ever seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    It really is a visual feast. Throughout, I was trying to work out what is real and what is CGI... and it turns out the vast majority is the latter. Absolutely incredible. My sister (15 years old) loved it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    LSH wrote
    It really is a visual feast. Throughout, I was trying to work out what is real and what is CGI... and it turns out the vast majority is the latter. Absolutely incredible. My sister (15 years old) loved it too.

yeah, the environments contain some of the most realistic CGI I've ever seen. Movie really deserved it's oscar!
  5. Aidabaida wrote
    LSH wrote

yeah, the environments contain some of the most realistic CGI I've ever seen. Movie really deserved it's oscar!

It really is an amazing visual feast. Gives me even more interest to see what he will do with The Lion King smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    LSH wrote

It really is an amazing visual feast. Gives me even more interest to see what he will do with The Lion King smile

I expect it will look incredible. Still far too soon to remake The Lion King though. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2018
    Return of the Jedi

I forgot how awful this movie is. Far worse than any of the prequels
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awful, really? I'll grant you it's not the best of the original trilogy, but it's a damn fine movie nonetheless. It also happens to have my second favourite score of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    It just seems like a children’s movie next to empire. I think George Lucas has a difficult time with tone
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    GEOSTORM dir. Dean Devlin

I expected this would have been deserving of yet another utterly hilarious satiric review, à la 2012, but this film is so dull that I can't be bothered.

I don't completely mind my disaster flicks being clichéd and somewhat formulaic but when they are as thoroughly joyless as this, I begin to ponder their legitimacy.

I completely get Gerard Butler's involvement but... Ed Harris! Why!!!??? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's far from being worse than the prequels, but it's mix of tones. The Ewoks represent the worst of it; but Luke, Vader, the Emperor and its space battles hold more excitement and emotion than all the prequels combined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    It's far from being worse than the prequels, but it's mix of tones. The Ewoks represent the worst of it; but Luke, Vader, the Emperor and its space battles hold more excitement and emotion than all the prequels combined.

I think I could agree with you about the fairly good space battles. To me the interminable opening on tattoine that essentially erases the empire's progress from the previous film without cost to the heroes really drags on the pacing of the film. The ewoks are awful. What really hurts the movie to me is the Leia "sister" reveal, which seems like Lucas trying to pull the same twist twice, and this time, it makes some previous scenes slightly... odd? The Emperor scenes are okay, but when it cuts from lightning torture to teddy bear attacks, I can't care about either.
  6. The Ewoks are cute. I prefer Jedi to Empire, which is a two hour long logic hole, as it is impossible to synchronise A and B story on the timeline. And how did the Falcon manage to leave the Hoth system?

smile Volker