• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    The Ewoks are cute. I prefer Jedi to Empire, which is a two hour long logic hole, as it is impossible to synchronise A and B story on the timeline. And how did the Falcon manage to leave the Hoth system?

smile Volker

interesting! I guess logical holes don't bother me as much as they should
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. Of course many, many scenes in themselves are gorgeous and the score goes without saying. Essentially I am a big fan of the film, logic or no. But Jedi holds a special place in my heart.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's far from being worse than the prequels, but it's mix of tones. The Ewoks represent the worst of it; but Luke, Vader, the Emperor and its space battles hold more excitement and emotion than all the prequels combined.

I think I could agree with you about the fairly good space battles. To me the interminable opening on tattoine that essentially erases the empire's progress from the previous film without cost to the heroes really drags on the pacing of the film. The ewoks are awful. What really hurts the movie to me is the Leia "sister" reveal, which seems like Lucas trying to pull the same twist twice, and this time, it makes some previous scenes slightly... odd? The Emperor scenes are okay, but when it cuts from lightning torture to teddy bear attacks, I can't care about either.

Yeah... it's a mess. I love parts of it, despise many others, but generally I can live without it. Empire really is the only Star Wars film I need. (I'm not the biggest fan of the first; I appreciate it more than I like it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was never a big EMPIRE fan, to be honest (relatively speaking -- I love pretty much all STAR WARS movies). The first film is the best, IMO. Then it's pretty even between EMPIRE and RETURN for different reasons. I don't mind the 'cutesy' elements of RETURN that everyone complains about. What's wrong with cute? Besides, there are plenty of 'muppet'/Jim Henson-like features throughout ALL of the STAR WARS films, not only in RETURN.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, except the other muppets aren't teddy bears taking down the Empire - the most evil force in the galaxy - with sticks and stones. Y'muppet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2018
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, except the other muppets aren't teddy bears taking down the Empire - the most evil force in the galaxy - with sticks and stones. Y'muppet.

Agreed. And the other muppets aren’t being scored with prancing carnival music..:
  2. For what it is, I think the Ewok music is excellent. Perhaps there's an argument to be made that it's too "cutesy" for SW but that's on the film more so than Williams; he did brilliantly with what he was given. Not often you hear lighthearted music of that level of craftsmanship and coherence in film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I agree with you Edmund. Each element on its own is fine, it’s that I don’t feel Lucas even tried to make them fit together
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    For what it is, I think the Ewok music is excellent. Perhaps there's an argument to be made that it's too "cutesy" for SW but that's on the film more so than Williams; he did brilliantly with what he was given. Not often you hear lighthearted music of that level of craftsmanship and coherence in film scoring.

Totally agreed. The Ewok music is awesome (both the tribal stuff and especially "The Forest Battle" which is probably my favourite action cue in the whole series), and I've never had a single issue with the teddy bear/cutesy aspect of these particular sequences. First of all, a welcome change of pace ('darker' doesn't always mean 'better'), and second of all totally in line with the other creatures of the series.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2018 edited
    Lost In Space (Netflix)

Good, but not great. On episode 4 so far. I feel like there's far too much time spent on a single planet to deserve its title. And with the introduction of the other humans who have crash landed, it loses a lot of potential for being, well, lost. "Dr. Smith" isn't particularly great either. It would have been better to keep the character as a conniving real doctor, rather than the incredibly unlikeable actress who just gets lucky all the time.

I agree with Alan -- couldn't they have picked a more likeable cast? The mum has bitch written all over her face, Judy is far too young for that character (generic pretty and yet to explain why she is half-black, half-white), Penny is bratty and annoying, Will is okay but not great. John, the father, is probably the most likeable lead.

However, it's clearly a lavish production, and my inner (and outer) sci-fi geek still wants to watch the next episode...
  3. It is worth watching. I have begun to feel for some of the characters despite their personalities.

I think that it should be set on one planet but there is the lure of the Resolute to propel them to leave. There are too many other survivors to really instill the lost feel for the family. And the sooner Smith is dispatched the better. She seems to be able just to amble through the groups causing trouble and everyone is fine with that. The others are so clued in on everything else but so gullible when it comes to her.

I am on episode 9 and keen to see what happens despite all its faults.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    For what it is, I think the Ewok music is excellent. Perhaps there's an argument to be made that it's too "cutesy" for SW but that's on the film more so than Williams; he did brilliantly with what he was given. Not often you hear lighthearted music of that level of craftsmanship and coherence in film scoring.

Totally agreed. The Ewok music is awesome (both the tribal stuff and especially "The Forest Battle" which is probably my favourite action cue in the whole series), and I've never had a single issue with the teddy bear/cutesy aspect of these particular sequences. First of all, a welcome change of pace ('darker' doesn't always mean 'better'), and second of all totally in line with the other creatures of the series.

"The Forest Battle" is great, I love the Prokofiev feel. I enjoy the similar stuff from the Young Indy prologue to Last Crusade as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Lost In Space (Netflix)

Good, but not great. On episode 4 so far. I feel like there's far too much time spent on a single planet to deserve its title. And with the introduction of the other humans who have crash landed, it loses a lot of potential for being, well, lost. "Dr. Smith" isn't particularly great either. It would have been better to keep the character as a conniving real doctor, rather than the incredibly unlikeable actress who just gets lucky all the time.

I agree with Alan -- couldn't they have picked a more likeable cast? The mum has bitch written all over her face, Judy is far too young for that character (generic pretty and yet to explain why she is half-black, half-white), Penny is bratty and annoying, Will is okay but not great. John, the father, is probably the most likeable lead.

However, it's clearly a lavish production, and my inner (and outer) sci-fi geek still wants to watch the next episode...

I love the fact that it's going all EARTH 2 in this first season. Keeps it grounded, and nurtures the curiousity to see more of this fascinating world. It also makes sense if you see the whole season, because by the end they're pretty much where the original series begins.

I like all of the cast. Impressive that they managed to avoid the whole 'annoying brat' syndrome, and I also love that the intrigue comes from within the situations, not something forced from outside.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yeah, Ewoks are cute and all. Until your home base blows up and you're left with just a few men, and then it gets dark in the forest and you can't see shit, and these teddybears start hunting you and are not so cute anymore and their numbers are growing...
  6. True. An they will BBQ you alive. Just not if you are a princess. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2018 edited
    biggrin Aren't we all?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2018
    The Florida Project

It's very well made and everything but so desperately sad. I don't think I've ever watched a film which has made me so sad, actually. The American dream, there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    The Florida Project

It's very well made and everything but so desperately sad. I don't think I've ever watched a film which has made me so sad, actually. The American dream, there.

Missed out on the Cannes premiere in 2017 due to insanely long lines, but thankfully caught it when it premiered in Norway earlier this year. One of my absolute favourites of the year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Spy Game

this struck me as a movie I think Thor would like
  7. I don't think Thor is that much of a Tony Scott fan.

But I'd say it's in Scott's top 5 for sure. And when it comes to pure storytelling (as in the script), it's pretty much up there along with especially True Romance and, yes, Man on Fire.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of course I'm a Tony Scott fan! Any respectable film fan should be.

But it's been ages since I saw SPY GAME. Can't remember much of it, other than that I really disliked HGW's score at the time.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. TRON (1982)
    TRON Legacy (2010)

Long time since I watched both, first time that I watched both within 24 hours. All fine and dandy safe that the story of the prequel is a bit "by-the-numbers". I wish they had kept more of the religious overtones of the original (as The Matrix did). I also wish Bruce Boxleitner's real word character would have gotten more involved in the story, since I have a very soft spot for that actor.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2018 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    TRON (1982)
    TRON Legacy (2010)

Long time since I watched both, first time that I watched both within 24 hours. All fine and dandy safe that the story of the prequel is a bit "by-the-numvers". I wish they had kept more of the religious overtones of the original (as The Matrix did). I also wish Bruce Boxleitner's real word character would have gotten more involved in the story, since I have a very soft spot for that actor.

Volker

I was actually playing the Legacy soundtrack when I read this post...

To be honest Legacy is one of my favorite films. The first one is okay, but a movie I respect more than I like.

Thor wrote
    Of course I'm a Tony Scott fan! Any respectable film fan should be.

But it's been ages since I saw SPY GAME. Can't remember much of it, other than that I really disliked HGW's score at the time.

I think his stuff is okay, but, just like some authors use 5 words when one would do, I feel like he uses 5 shots where one could do. Never gives you a moment to breathe.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Schindler's List

Deeply unsettling and moving. There's scenes in this film I won't be able to get out of my head any time soon. Williams' score is sparse but effective.
  9. jb1234 wrote
    Schindler's List

Deeply unsettling and moving. There's scenes in this film I won't be able to get out of my head any time soon. Williams' score is sparse but effective.

I saw it when it was new in cinemas. I cried. A shattering jet unique experience. People left the theatre in utter silence. I'll never forget that.

Williams' music has rightfully found it's way into the concert canon beyond film music.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2018
    One of the best films ever made, IMO. But I rarely watch it, as I need to mentally prepare. I probably haven't seen it more than 5-6 times in my life, as opposed to another super-favourite film -- JURASSIC PARK -- which I've seen like 60 times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I just realized I still haven't seen Schindler's List. If I get some time tonight I might watch it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    One of the best films ever made, IMO. But I rarely watch it, as I need to mentally prepare. I probably haven't seen it more than 5-6 times in my life, as opposed to another super-favourite film -- JURASSIC PARK -- which I've seen like 60 times.

That's, on average, roughly once every 6 months since it was released. How on earth don't people get tired of seeing a film that many times? Are you autistic?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2018 edited
    No, just insanely in love with the movie. I try to see it once or twice every year. The big draw-in isn't the story anymore, obviously, but the mood.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

That's, on average, roughly once every 6 months since it was released. How on earth don't people get tired of seeing a film that many times? Are you autistic?

There are films I return to every year myself, mostly classics. That said, I haven't seen The Thin Red Line and The Rock for ages (even if I actually had a bit of a Michael Bay series, don't judge me, I was braindead). Same with Heat, but I find it harder to find free three hours to watch it now.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website