• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I mean, I tend to average a viewing of the Lord of the Rings (Extended Editions!) once a year, so considering the length of those I've spent way more time doing that than Thor has watching Jurassic Park... shame
  2. Last time I spread them over six nights and found that a rather relaxed way to watch them.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. That's what I always do as well. More like a miniseries than a film trilogy. The length of the EEs makes them hard to get through in a single evening unless you're prepared to take the time. The only problem with dividing it into six is that it makes the endings of "episodes" 1, 3 and 5 a bit anticlimactic and sudden.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2018
    Did you ever attempt to watch the extended editions in one go? I did once with a friend, years ago. We started when it was still light outside, and we ended when it was light again.
  4. I don't think I've ever gone for a full-on marathon like that. Did one with some friends with the first seven Harry Potter movies before the last one came out, but it's not really a great way to enjoy movies.. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've done this plenty of times. The extended LOTRs twice, but many, many times with the JURASSIC PARK and ALIEN series, for example.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2018 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Did you ever attempt to watch the extended editions in one go? I did once with a friend, years ago. We started when it was still light outside, and we ended when it was light again.

depending on the friend this could be the best time ever
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    Captain Future wrote
    jb1234 wrote
    Schindler's List

Deeply unsettling and moving. There's scenes in this film I won't be able to get out of my head any time soon. Williams' score is sparse but effective.

I saw it when it was new in cinemas. I cried. A shattering jet unique experience. People left the theatre in utter silence. I'll never forget that.

Williams' music has rightfully found it's way into the concert canon beyond film music.

Volker

Yeah, I cried at the end, myself. I'd never seen it before. I've been slowly going through Spielberg's complete filmography.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2018
    this thread is called recent viewing but I suppose it can be future viewing as well??

I was disappointed by Marvel's last few movies, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not excited to see Infinity War on Thursday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2018 edited
    Infinity War

Do I have (major) problems with this movie? Yes. Did those qualms prevent me from grinning like an idiot during the final twenty minutes? No.
  5. I was grinning from minute one, [spoiler]which changed into hysterical laughter at the end[/spoiler]. Never saw a movie receiving more applause from the crowd throughout the whole screening. What a feast!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2018
    Yeah it’s really difficult to judge a movie like this on any traditional standard. What Marvel has accomplished is incredible.
  6. I acquired The Last Jedi on BR yesterday and will watch it tonight. The second time alltogether, the first time the English original. So far I am lukewarm about the film. Let's see how it fares.

Volker
  7. I have to say I liked it much better this time. Once you get over that fact that this is not the story everyone - myself included - thought it would be, the film appears in a new light. Still not everything is fine in the far away galaxy. Some random thoughts:

- The visuals of the film are stunning. So is the music and the sound. The acting is mostly fine.
    - Force ghosts interacting with the physical world and Force Face Time: The Force awakened. It is changing and new possibilities appear. The border between reality and the netherworld grows thin.
    - The B story heading nowhere. Some of this might be remedied with Episode IX.
    - Snoke's sudden and easy demise? I have no idea.
    - Leia surviving in open space. As ridiculous as this scene may look, there is a parallel scene in REBELS, so at least it is rooted in established canon.
    - Rey's parents. I don't think we heard the last of this?
    - Hyperspeed tracking? Implausible that after thousands of generations of interstellar space travel something essentially new could still be discovered. Save maybe some dark side Force driven ancient Racata technology.
    - Not being able to quite reach the rebel fleet in normal space? Laughable.
    - Hyper jumping into another vessel in order to destroy it? Very highly implausible. Why would it never have been done before with programmed drones?
    - Luke Skywalker being out of character? Yes. But not so much as I felt initially. A simple Obi-Wan repetition might have been worse.
    - Luke's dying scene is full of dignity and closure. Also the scene of the young Force wielding boy, looking up to the stars is beautiful.

So much for now. smile

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just came back from Avengers: Infinity War. Fucking loved it! A total feast.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    I acquired The Last Jedi on BR yesterday and will watch it tonight. The second time alltogether, the first time the English original. So far I am lukewarm about the film. Let's see how it fares.

Volker

"lukewarm" wink

But in all seriousness, it's a pile of shite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Here is my rating for the Marvel films. I have interpreted "recent" in the thread title to mean over the last decade. Ratings are out of five, obviously.

Iron Man (2008) ****
    The Incredible Hulk (2008) ?
    Iron Man 2 (2010) ***
    Thor (2011) **
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) ***
    Marvel's The Avengers (2012) ***
    Iron Man 3 (2013) ****
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) *
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) *** (otherwise-excellent film spoiled by crap score)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) ****
    Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) **
    Ant-Man (2015) ***
    Captain America: Civil War (2016) **
    Doctor Strange (2016) *
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) ***
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) *
    Thor: Ragnarok (2017) ?
    Black Panther (2018) ?
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
  8. it's a pile of shite.

That’s ridiculous, I understand why lots of people have a big problem with it on a thematic and story level but it’s a beautifully crafted piece of cinema and to describe it as that is reductive in the extreme.
  9. Timmer wrote
    Just came back from Avengers: Infinity War. Fucking loved it! A total feast.

Me too, what Marvel Studios has done with these films has never been attempted before in the history of cinema and to see it all starting to culminate in this film was a joy to behold!
  10. Southall wrote
    Here is my rating for the Marvel films. I have interpreted "recent" in the thread title to mean over the last decade. Ratings are out of five, obviously.

Iron Man (2008) ****
    The Incredible Hulk (2008) ?
    Iron Man 2 (2010) ***
    Thor (2011) **
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) ***
    Marvel's The Avengers (2012) ***
    Iron Man 3 (2013) ****
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) *
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) *** (otherwise-excellent film spoiled by crap score)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) ****
    Ant-Man (2015) ***
    Captain America: Civil War (2016) **
    Doctor Strange (2016) *
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) ***
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) *
    Thor: Ragnarok (2017) ?
    Black Panther (2018) ?
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Watch Ragnarok ASAP. It's wonderful in how it relishes its own absurdity. Not always great, but when it works, it REALLY works.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John Chambers wrote
    it's a pile of shite.

That’s ridiculous, I understand why lots of people have a big problem with it on a thematic and story level but it’s a beautifully crafted piece of cinema and to describe it as that is reductive in the extreme.

No it isn't. It's shite.
  11. So eloquent...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2018 edited
    Alright Southall, if we're going with the rating lists....

Iron Man (2008) ****
    The Incredible Hulk (2008) ***
    Iron Man 2 (2010) ****
    Thor (2011) ***
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) **
    Marvel's The Avengers (2012) ****
    Iron Man 3 (2013) ****
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) *****
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) *****
    Ant-Man (2015) **
    Captain America: Civil War (2016) ****
    Doctor Strange (2016) ***
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) *
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) ***
    Thor: Ragnarok (2017) *
    Black Panther (2018) **
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018) ****
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Here's my contribution...

Iron Man (2008) ***
  12. IKEA commercials.

I just found out that Swedish actress Celie Sparre, who is Smilla in the current IKEA commercials, is happily engaged. Which is a bummer since I wanted to marry her. biggrin

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018
    Time heals everything mate. It's never easy at first... just hang on in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018
    LSH wrote
    Here's my contribution...

Iron Man (2008) ***

I agree. I think the first Iron Man is good, but a little overhyped. The later Marvel films are much better. Guardians of The Galaxy is probably the best. A solid four star film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018 edited
    Of what I've seen within the current MCU universe type thing, I'd say...

Iron Man (2008) ***
    Iron Man 2 (2010) ***
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) *
    The Avengers (2012) ****
    Iron Man 3 (2013) *
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) ***
    Doctor Strange (2016) ***
    Thor: Ragnarok (2017) **
    Black Panther (2018) ***

Not particularly a fan.
  13. I hade a lot of fun with both "Guardians of the Galaxy" films.

Aside from that:

Iron Man (2008) really good film

Iron Man 2 (2010) good but not as good
    Thor (2011) Potential, would have needed trimming and some re-write
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) mostly boring
    Marvel's The Avengers (2012) convoluted but OK
    Iron Man 3 (2013) good, just as the second
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) mostly boring
    Doctor Strange (2016) I like this one a lot
    Thor: Ragnarok (2017) This one too

Volker