• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. She's like a spoilt teenage girl. "I Want. My. DRAGONS!" *stamps foot*
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018
    She is not heteronormative.
    Kazoo
  2. ...well she isn't... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018 edited
    The heteronormative thing is not really related to Danaerys...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...but jokes are.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    She is none of those things, I've seen her with her kit off in Thrones.

She's a very naughty girl.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018 edited
    NP: STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS dir. J.J. Abrahms

Had the urge to re-watch this after just having seen Solo: A Star Wars Story... and I can't tell you how much I wanted the new Solo theme to appear whenever Harrison Ford was on screen. Chewwie's too. It was almost frustrating!

But then, that theme has been stuck in my head since I first heard it. Too fresh in my mind, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2018
    This is for Timmer and all mountain lovers. Trailer of the docu/film Mountain.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxtWMOAHoiI

It's playing here tomorrow. Has anyone seen it?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2018
    Looks gorgeous. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2018 edited
    Bregt wrote

Yes, I have. It is what it is. Kinda pretentious, though, and although I love Willem Dafoe, his voice is a bit too present (Werner Herzog Lite). There's hardly any time to soak up the majesty and atmosphere of the mountains on their own. Overall, I found it disappointing. The classical music pieces are hokey.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2018
    I'd like to see it for myself.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I couldn't sit through a whole film of that. It makes me nervous just seeing these mountaineers doing what they do with me watching from the comfort of my own chair.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote

Yes, I have. It is what it is. Kinda pretentious, though, and although I love Willem Dafoe, his voice is a bit too present (Werner Herzog Lite). There's hardly any time to soak up the majesty and atmosphere of the mountains on their own. Overall, I found it disappointing. The classical music pieces are hokey.

I know you are a serious person, so I understand your point, yet I thought it was often mindblowing to see these batshit (pun intended) people climbing, flying, biking, ravelling, ... those fantastic places.

I agree about Willem Dafoe, what he says is often the result of not enough oxygen it appears, and thus the texts are often a bit stupid. He talks about mountains as if they are alive and have brains. But yes, the whole things has a bit a floaty air over it.

However, the images are spectacular. The camera flies around summits, and through cravasses, turns around pointy towers of stone, all creating vertigo from your chair. It's also quite varied, with fine shots of ski areas and the sad mass queueing at Everest. Lots to see and I can only eny the adventurous who dare to tackle such endeavours. i'm too scared for that and prefer a regular hiking path. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2018
    I agree that some of the ski/climbing stunts were impressive/scary to see, but I've seen similar films with much more impressive "stunts" (like the Norwegian SUPERVENTION films). Also, while the chopper/drone shots were fine enough, this is also something I've seen done better in the past. What I missed was just silence from music or voiceover, and LONGER, more static shots where we're allowed to soak up the natural atmosphere. It has too many edits for a film that wants to be poetic about mountains.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2018 edited
    Just came back from JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM, btw.

I really, really wanted to like this film, since I'm a big fan of Bayona, but alas I found it even more disappointing than JURASSIC WORLD. Just came back from an IMAX screening here in Norway. There are 4-5 good scenes, where the Bayona touch shines through -- whether his gothic horror-like style (A MONSTER CALLS, EL ORFANATO) a or his brilliant melodrama skills (LO IMPOSSIBLE). But beyond that, it's a messy affair with shallow, stereotypical characters. No ingenuity in the action tableaux, no awe & wonder.

It's not a bad film -- like WORLD, it stil works as a reasonable "creature feature" -- but it had so much more potential.

The score was -- predictably -- absolutely dreadful, and at least 75% responsible for my disappointment. Giacchino has two tricks -- either very simplistic, big chord leaps (rather than defined melody lines) or endless ostinati, and this is on display here yet again. The few references to Williams themes (fewer than in WORLD) were mostly hokey and unsophisticated in terms of how they appeared. I can only imagine how much more involved I'd been if Bayona had been allowed to bring along Velazquez for this film. sad

My suspicion is that Colin Trevorrow's damp hand has prevented this from being the visionary Bayona film it could have been. At least I want to blame Trevorrow. But in a way, it also says to me that perhaps Bayona is not an action auteur; he works better in other forms of cinema.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I wasn't too big a fan of the Jurassic World score in the first place (it was okay, competent, but nothing to get excited about) so I didn't really have high expectations for this. Not that your word on a Giacchino score is worth anything, Thor; but I do agree that Velazquez would have been a more interesting choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2018
    No, feel free to make your own judgements. But I've heard disparaging reviews even from Giacchino fans, so that's perhaps worth more to you.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2018 edited
    ISLE OF DOGS

A typical Wes Anderson movie, that is as fast paced as Grand Budapest Hotel, but perhaps with a more engaging story. I'm not a fan of dogs, and apparently they are human's best friend. Here they are outcasted heroes and it's amusing to watch. The music is very percussive but can get repetitive when another crazy montage scene gets going. However, as the movie progessed I lost a bit interest. I might have been a bit tired too, to fully enjoy it, not sure. Loved the animation though, and the percussion by the 3 sumo kids at the beginning and end was awesome. I also liked the fact that not everything was translated.
    Kazoo
  5. Captain Future: Space-Emperor of Terror / Der Herrscher von Megara (1978)

I bought the German BluRay some time ago and now I actually revisited my avatar hero. Cool space ships, cool aliens, simple but functional stories and an embarrassingly machismo protagonist.
    Anyway, there is a fiery sea of magma in that episode and a complex of buildings, protected by a force field, that eventually collapses. Where have I seen that again? wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2018
    I quite liked the first season of Westworld but am struggling to keep going with the second. A real slog through relentlessly miserable, over-plotted nonsense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2018
    Southall wrote
    I quite liked the first season of Westworld but am struggling to keep going with the second. A real slog through relentlessly miserable, over-plotted nonsense.

Yes, while it's still a good show, there's something 'off' about the second season. But at least I'm happy that [spoiler]Anthony Hopkins is back; he can carry anything all on his own[/spoiler].
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2018 edited
    JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Watched the opening scene and then left and asked for a refund. Well, to clarify, not because of the film (it was cool enough, have to say) but because of the horrendous 3D. First time I left a theatre because of it. Mostly because it was Laser 3D, which meant you're getting a glass that's been used countless times before by others, you just don't know where it's been, and there were so many stains on it, you were basically watching through a white mist. If you find yourself reminiscing about watching the original films in the theatre and how everything was so much better back then, that's not good.

Enough to put me off 3D, specifically that kind.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2018
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

It's pretty lousy. Most of its plot is ripped straight from The Lost World, the new characters are either forgettable (the villains) or annoying (the sidekicks). Chris Pratt looks stoic, Bryce Dallas Howard screams a lot. There isn't any tension or memorable set pieces.

Giacchino's score does make an impression in a few places, especially when the chorus kicks in. The sound effects often obscure the score though.
  6. Creature features seldom make for good franchises. There is basically one story to be told and variations of that plot will only work so much. Not even Godzilla works for me as a franchise.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2018
    I totally disagree. There's no reason why creature features can't be good franchises. It's not all about the plot, but how it's staged and whatever trademarks the director brings to the table. That being said, I'm not thrilled with the way the JURASSIC franchise is heading. They're expanding it and going in bizarro directions. I would much have preferred a SMALLER story; i.e. ONE person trying to survive in a dino jungle. There's actually a good story to be told about the boy who survived for weeks in JP3, but obviously it would need to be recast as the actor is all grown up now. But something like that would be infinitely more interesting than what they're doing with it now, under Trevorrow's damp hand.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2018
    John Wick 2

I thought this was really good, much better than the original, and at times pleasingly absurd/surreal.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2018
    Annihilation

This is one of the best movies I've watched this year. Although I enjoyed reading the quite intricate and well-argued theories about the movie's meaning, the visceral dread this movie leaves you with is enough for me. It resonates on both a primal and intellectual level. Terrific.
  7. A very well-made movie but I must confess it lost me in the last third. (Or perhaps I lost it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It was very weird and very boring. No wonder they didn't want to release it in the cinema outside of the US.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    A very well-made movie but I must confess it lost me in the last third. (Or perhaps I lost it.)
    Steven wrote
    It was very weird and very boring. No wonder they didn't want to release it in the cinema outside of the US.

the third act and in some respects the whole movie are definitely "difficult" in a way, and difficult isn't in and of itself valuable. a movie has to justify making you work to "get" it. I think there's lots of compelling explanations and theories about the "meaning" of the movie, but in a film like Annihilation, a lot of power I think comes from finding what it means to you.