• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2018
    Mission Impossible - Fallout

This movie is spectacular. Like the best action movies, it’s energy can’t really be communicated in a few paragraphs. Go watch it.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    I'm always up for discovering more vintage British comedy. Is it on Netflix?

No idea? It's considered a classic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuts_in_May
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2018 edited
    I carelessly glanced at the two preceding posts and saw this...

Aidabaida wrote
    Mission Impossible - Fallout

This movie is spectacular. Like the best action movies, it’s energy can’t really be communicated in a few paragraphs. Go watch it.

Timmer wrote
    No idea? It's considered a classic.

... and for a moment I contemplated falling to my knees and praying for a nuclear holocaust.
  1. 1864

A Danish miniseries (with German partners co-producing), depicting the Danish-German war that decided the fate of the province of Schleswig. A solid tale, rather lavishly produced. The score by Marco Beltrami is equally solid but nothing special. I wonder, why no Danish composer was chosen, since the historic events are of great significance for the Danish national identity.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2018
    Captain Future wrote

A Danish miniseries (with German partners co-producing), depicting the Danish-German war that decided the fate of the province of Schleswig. A solid tale, rather lavishly produced. The score by Marco Beltrami is equally solid but nothing special. I wonder, why no Danish composer was chosen, since the historic events are of great significance for the Danish national identity.

Volker

Because Ole Bornedal directed, and he has a longstanding relationship to Beltrami.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2018
    Gladiator

first time seeing this movie! very good, but it seemed at time to me cliched, and I cannot help but wonder if this is because it is indeed cliche, or because it was so influential I mistake it for a copy when it was in fact the original thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2018
    Aidabaida wrote
    Gladiator

first time seeing this movie! very good, but it seemed at time to me cliched, and I cannot help but wonder if this is because it is indeed cliche, or because it was so influential I mistake it for a copy when it was in fact the original thing.

The latter, I think. It was a very powerful film when it came, and I still hold it as a contemporary masterpiece.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2018 edited
    Isle of Dogs

first wes anderson movie that's disappointed me! this one felt so lifeless and inert.
  2. Ready Player One (2018)

A rare instance when I liked the film much better than the novel. Man, did they give the plot a work-over! They didn't carry over much more than the basic concept. What I did miss though, was the concept of online education which I found rather intriguing.
    A fun ride, especially visually stunning. I liked the cast and Silvestri's great shore shines when it is allowed to. I have to say that I also enjoyed the rock music.

A fine Spielberg adventure film!

Volker
  3. I agree about the film being a better experience than the book. It has the benefit of presenting Cline's occasionally fascinating concepts without his occasionally dreadful prose. I still think both film and book have an incredibly muddled and potentially harmful message ("don't forget to live in the real world and the present sometimes...even though living exclusively in the fake world and the past has made the main character rich, famous and successful")
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2018
    0 interest
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2018
    sdtom wrote
    0 interest

In the READY PLAYER ONE score? It's even got a Max Steiner quote!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2018
    Adaptation

A movie so good it's almost depressing, because I know I'll be comparing everything I watch for the next month to it's brilliance, and finding them wanting. What a heartfelt, ingenious, original movie. Loved it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2018
    Sicario

Didn't like this one at all, which surprised me since I enjoyed Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 so much. This one struck me as a generic action/revenge movie that exploited the drug wars in Mexico to seem more "relevant" and "important" than it really was. Left a bad taste in my mouth overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2018
    I love that film. It's all about the mood, less about the story.

The sequel, however, was less impressive. More run-of-the-mill.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018
    The mood was definitely strong, a weird mix between dread and black comedy; I particularly liked the part where Josh Brolin pokes his head out of the hotel room and says, "What's the secret password."
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Sicario is brilliant, a brutal exercise in mood and tension.

Will the Academy please give Roger Deakins (the cinematographer) an Oscar already!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's little generic about Sicario, and certainly doesn't exploit Mexican drug wars for its own gain. It shows it for what it is in an entertaining yet disturbing film.
  4. LSH wrote

Will the Academy please give Roger Deakins (the cinematographer) an Oscar already!

He got one for Blade Runner, didn't he?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. And I am of the firm belief that the border convoy setpiece should be taught in film schools all over the world.

The most harrowing example of precision-based tension to grace the screen in recent years.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2018
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And I am of the firm belief that the border convoy setpiece should be taught in film schools all over the world.

The most harrowing example of precision-based tension to grace the screen in recent years.

A superb sequence.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    There's little generic about Sicario, and certainly doesn't exploit Mexican drug wars for its own gain. It shows it for what it is in an entertaining yet disturbing film.

I can understand why someone might view it as un-exploitative, but did you not find the John Wick-style action scene of Benicio-Del-Toro-shooting-his-way-through-faceless-henchman-to-get-to-the-drug-lord generic in the least? Everything from his backstory to the way his suppressed pistol makes less noise than a whisper is cliche.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    LSH wrote

He got one for Blade Runner, didn't he?

You’re quite right. Hadn’t quite caught up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018
    I am looking forward to watching a new Ken Burns special on the Mayo Clinic next Tuesday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2018
    sherlock holmes
  6. Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)

A acquired the BluRay recently that thankfully provides you with the full cinematic picture. The German DVD had a 4:3 letterbox image, thus I never bought it.
    Anyway, I really like this flick. It's quite "adult" for a Disney animation feature. It almost feels like a disneyfied animated version of Indiana Jones. James Newton Howard enhances the film with a killer fantasy score.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2018
    Superb score, pretty good film too.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I believe the 2-Disc Special Edition DVD was Widescreen as well. It also had an audio commentary and a stop-here-and-watch-how-the-scene-was-made feature, pretty amazing stuff for the DVD format. I've always kept it because it had loads of additional specials.
  8. Very underrated film, although to be honest I have zero critical distance as it came out at just the right time to blow away an impressionable 9-year-old boy. Never forgot that Crystal Chamber cue from JNH either, even though I wouldn't listen to it away from film for another 7-8 years.
  9. Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Second viewing, first one on BluRay, first one in English.
    If you put aside the various reasons that made this film sort of flop in theatres, I think you get a better lookout on the many qualities this film has. It has a great cast, a decent story, stunning visuals and a score to make you dream about. I really like the references to Greek mythology.[spoiler] Personally I would have preferred The Black Sun and Prince Xizor to Crimson Dawn and Dryden Vos.[/spoiler]
    I like the pacing and the humour. They overplay the western thing I say but that's a minor quibble. It's an entertaining space fantasy flick. That's about all you can ask for.

Volker