• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2018
    I just came back from it now! Absolutely loved it to death. I think it may very well rocket into my 3rd place of the year. Some Lynch, some 80s slasher, some....well, I don't know what....heavy metal rock music video? And of course, I've always been a sucker for revenge films, so this was right up my alley. Jóhannsson's music is absolutely amazing in context, far more powerful than my soundtrack experience.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2018 edited
    Thor wrote
    some....well, I don't know what....heavy metal rock music video?

yeah there's some ingredient in there that i haven't tasted before. a lot of people have latched onto the heavy metal idea, but it's more than that. A completely unique feel. There's definitely something of the heavy-metal aesthetic in it, but it's mixed with pulp fantasy and just something... new. I don't know. The atmosphere is incredible.

oh yeah, and this will sound weird. I haven't watched a lot of B-movies, but I do watch MST3K, and there were certain times in the movie where it felt like one of the awful sci-fi films they would mock on that show ----- but in a good way. As in it used the uneasy off-kilter ambiance of a B-movie for it's own benefit. There's a shot where the camera pans from Cage and his wife asleep to the woods, then zooms in dramatically on the villains hiding in the trees, and I have expected to hear the Crow's voice say something sarcastic.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. The Beatles: Eight Days A Week

Ron Howard's Docu (2016) just aired on TV here in Germany. Nothing I didn't see in various other documentations already, but - yeah, yeah, yeah - it's well done. It sounds and looks fantastic.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2018
    Upgrade

Absolutely excellent. Watched it twice. It's like a strange combination between John Wick, Lucy, and Ex Machina. Highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, I like it too. Not on the level of LUCY or EX MACHINA (which were both my favourite movies in their respective years), but it's holding an excellent 13th place on my annual list thus far.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Yeah it’s not as good as those movies, but takes inspiration from them. Personally I was glad to see a sci-if film that actually felt pulpy and lowbrow instead of trying to be the next 2001
  2. De scheepsjongens van Bontekoe (2007)

A Dutch adventure film that just airs on German TV. The symphonic music by Nick&Simon (a folk duo?) sounds gorgeous. The score seems to have been released, jet I can't find it.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Captain Future wrote
    De scheepsjongens van Bontekoe (2007)

A Dutch adventure film that just airs on German TV. The symphonic music by Nick&Simon (a folk duo?) sounds gorgeous. The score seems to have been released, jet I can't find it.

smile Volker

Haha, being Dutch, this is weird, seeing this here. Just to be clear, Nick & Simon do *not* write symphonic scores wink. For this film they wrote the title song, so I understand where the mixup came from. The score was written by Ronald Schilperoort, and I don’t believe his score was ever released (or if it was, it must’ve been a very limited run). The main focus around its music was that title song by Nick & Simon.
  3. BobdH wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    De scheepsjongens van Bontekoe (2007)

smile Volker

Haha, being Dutch, this is weird, seeing this here. Just to be clear, Nick & Simon do *not* write symphonic scores wink. For this film they wrote the title song, so I understand where the mixup came from. The score was written by Ronald Schilperoort, and I don’t believe his score was ever released (or if it was, it must’ve been a very limited run). The main focus around its music was that title song by Nick & Simon.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Bob! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2018
    Paddington 2

Kept hearing about how this is the best reviewed movie of all time and such, but wasn't quite sure what all the fuss was about. Wow. This movie is BEAUTIFUL. It's imaginative and whimsical beyond anything I've seen in a kid's movie since... I don't know... maybe The Incredibles. Just a terrific film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2018
    Shaun of the Dead and 3:10 to Yuma

I'm on a run of good movies right now and these two continued it.
  4. Flatliners (2017)

I'm a massive fan of the original film. This is a faithful remake, at times down to the very dialogue. The cast is more diverse now, more females, one black. It's more Freud now than religion, a bit more science than fantasy. But basically it is the same film. The cast - I might be biased here - IMO does not have the same chemistry the original cast had. The score is adequate, but is doesn't hold a candle to James Newton Howard's original score.
    Anyway the 2017 Flatliners isn't a bad film. But who asked for it? Why would I need the same film twice?

Volker
  5. Jurassic World: The Fallen Kingdom (2018)

I was lukewarm about Jurassic World, so my expectations where rather low. But lo and behold, despite all its rehash and predictability I felt better entertained by this film than by any Jurassic flick, since Spielberg worked the original cinematic lizard wonder. So, well done! Kudos to Giacchino of course.

Volker
  6. I also enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It’s still not great, but I liked it better than the last one by quite a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2018
    I enjoyed it on a schlock level. It's dumb, over-the-top, doesn't make any sense, and it's pretty bad... but it's good bad. There are dinosaurs killng and helping people.

Giacchino's score is brilliant, far outshining the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2018 edited
    Doctor Who - Current Season/Series

Can I just say that the new series of Doctor Who is absolutely amazing so far? Jodie Whittaker nails the part, and the build-up in the first two episodes, especially if watched back to back as a complete pilot experience, is very well done. The cinematography looks spectacular, and the new music is completely different, yet utterly fantastic. It also, somehow, developed a new, gripping style that has kept me on the edge of my seat.

That style tackled a very real topic with some very real monsters yesterday with "Rosa", and hell, that was so good I couldn't believe I was watching Doctor Who. The series which had spent several seasons dancing around itself, its self-inflicted problems, and its producer's obsession with - often needlessly - complicated storylines, finally returned to do what it once set out to do, and it delivered. Whether you know the story of Rosa Parks or not, this episode is going to punch you in the guts and drive home points ignored until now. If you've seen Timeless, this is not a completely new territory for you, but for Doctor Who, it's a milestone, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Looking at next week's trailer, it's a safe bet that a lot of people will - finally - end up behind the sofa again.
  7. "I couldn't believe I was watching Doctor Who".

That's certainly true. 'Rosa' didn't feel like an episode of Doctor Who to me at all. Star Trek did this type of story - trying to make sure history plays out as it should - much, much better in 'The City on the Edge of Forever'. The ineffectual 'villain' was boring and seemed tacked on to a PBS docu-drama. According to some, since I didn't enjoy the episode I must be a racist.

This new series feels like the start of Peter Capaldi's tenure - excellent actor for the role but not being given storylines to show their abilities off too often. Jodie Whittaker's version seems a bit too scatterbrained (for want of a better word) and reminds me too much of a mix of the character Peggy Ollerenshaw from the comedy Hi-Di-Hi! and Victoria Wood's character in Dinnerladies.

Whittaker's potential as a Doctor Who did show through a bit once or twice when more serious parts of the story developed.

The music does seem to be interesting and I look forward to hearing how that develops.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Time will tell whether the baddie will return or not; he was certainly set up to do just that, and then there may be more info coming up on his background, who knows.

I don't know if it's fair to compare the episode to 'The City on the Edge of Forever', since ultimately, the Star Trek episode was about a fictional character they could treat in whatever way they wanted, resulting in one of the most compelling time-travelling dramas and dilemmas ever. But with Rosa Parks, there were so many landmines they could have accidentally or well-intentionally set off, and they didn't. They did a real life character, a historical figure of great importance to many, justice.

And what's even more important, they managed to get families talking. Kids are asking stuff about those times and the current state of affairs, and whatever the episode didn't manage, this effect was worth the whole effort.

And no, you don't have to be racist (or any other kind of -ist) to dislike the episode. I've seen that overreaction to criticism elsewhere, and while it's ridiculous, it's a bit of a standard to assume such a thing these days, since we're seeing so much trolling and stupidity going on, generally, and with the casting of a female doctor, specifically.

The thing is - yes, DW is certainly following an agenda here. The question is whether we find that to be okay or not. Is it "okay" to tell/show our children that racism is bad and that women can be equally qualified as men? Is entertainment suited for that? I say, hell yes. How else do you reach them? Certainly not in school.

That it needs to be well done then, if you do such a thing, is a different matter, and while we might disagree on the quality of the writing, I think the effort in itself is very much worth everything.
  9. "...what's even more important, they managed to get families talking. Kids are asking stuff about those times and the current state of affairs, and whatever the episode didn't manage, this effect was worth the whole effort." This is a very important aspect of this episode.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2018
    Shutter Island

It was ok, but struck me for some reason as rather stiff and stale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2018 edited
    Back on Doctor Who / new episode:

Yeah, I get that there are some plot holes, but I don't care. Some observations:

[spoiler]
    - Robertson: At first I thought they went a bit crazy with the Trump references. Then it became clear that the guy is a long-time archnemesis/direct competitor of Trump, and they really went overboard with it, and I loved it. All gloves came off. Screw political correctness.

- Yaz's mom: Instantly sniffing out what's going on between Thirteen and Yaz before they even knew it. And then, they knew. And the internet went gay overnight.

- Ryan: Playing shadowgames in the background was both so Ryan and so perfect.

- Graham: Needs a hug.

- Thirteen: Doesn't invite them into the TARDIS, warns them instead (#personal growth).

- CGI spiders: Brilliant. Scary. Amazingly well done. They moved so naturally.

- The music: Fantastic.
    [/spoiler]
  10. The comment about Ryan was my favourite part of the episode: no issue-ticking storytelling - just an honest bit of human nature.

And I thought that the music was good. There was one segment early on - I can't remember where it played - was especially memorable (yes, I know - so memorable that I can't remember where it was from).

Still not sure that it 'feels like' Doctor Who. But that's me harkening back to multi-episode storylines, and they haven't done that for many years. The stories are just too packed with stuff that you rarely get a chance to catch your breath.
  11. I prefer longer arcs too, but it's right to provide the viewers with several jump-on points at the beginning, and I'm pretty sure we'll see many characters from the first episodes again later, so we'll have more character-driven arcs instead of the twisted timey whimey stuff of the Moffat era. Time will tell.
  12. The Haunting of Hill House

Just saw the 6th episode, my god is this brilliant stuff. Very atmospheric, scary and incredibly well acted. This series is above all beautiful to see how it develops from an apparently typical ghost story to such a multi layered tale. How they move from past to present is amazing. Besides, that 5th episode made my job draw at the end as it all leads up to an incredible finale, and that 6th has to become one of the best episodes ever made. A 17 minute opening shot (I kid you not), multiple long shots after that, incredible attention to detail, wonderful atmosphere (I was constantly on the edge of my seat) and such amazing production design. I can't wait to see how all this will end.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2018
    It's a superb show, although if falters a bit in the last couple of episodes.

But it's not surprising to me, since Mike Flanagan is one of the best young horror directors right now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2018
    I just finished watching Sam Esmail's new TV show, Homecoming. The first six episodes are exceptionally strong. I feel that some of the final four episodes betray the promise, but it has an absolutely terrific ending, so I was left with positive feelings towards the show. Good characters, good music, it's only the plot that sometimes lets it down.
  13. Thor wrote
    It's a superb show, although if falters a bit in the last couple of episodes.

But it's not surprising to me, since Mike Flanagan is one of the best young horror directors right now.

It's a good ending, and somehow completes the show. But indeed, the final episodes lacked the incredible mood of the previous episodes. Still a wonderful series. Ps, I can honestly say that I'm almost screamed like a girl in the 8th episode, [spoiler]when they're in the car arguing[/spoiler] wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  14. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Is it just me or was that terrible? JK Rowling is going full-on down the George Lucas path, it would seem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2018 edited
    ... and here we go again.

Seriously, I'm sick and tired of all the nay-sayers and nit-pickers. Can't you all just go see a movie and try to enjoy it for once these days? It's very easy, trust me. You just have to concentrate on the things you liked, not on those you didn't. And if you tell me there's nothing to like ... you are a lost cause and should just stop watching anything. You won't enjoy it anyway.

Personally, I thought FB 2 was fantastic and created a worthy, much darker sequel to part one. It's more like a "getting everything in place for what comes next" episode, which is perfectly fine for a five part series. Several new, great ideas and additions to canon, several STRONG performances, an amazing score by JNH, some truly impressive sets, wonderful costumes, a nice throw back at the HP series ... I mean, what else do you want, really?!

This was the Empire Strikes Back part of this series, and our whole family enjoyed it massively, everyone for his or her own different multitude of reasons. We can't all be wrong. It can't all be that bad.

Next thing, I get on the Internet, and all I read is blah blah hate blah blah hate blah blah.

Really, it's a string of blah blah with EVERYTHING ever since The Last Jedi came out.

And the whole list is much longer.

The Prince of Persia
    John Carter
    The Sorceror's Apprentice
    Jupiter Ascending
    Robin Hood (Scott)
    Iron Man 2
    Iron Man 3
    Age of Ultron
    Fantastic Beasts
    King Arthur (Ritchie)
    Star Wars Episode 8
    Star Trek Discovery
    Doctor Who Series 11
    Fantastic Beasts 2

Maybe I'm easy to please. Next you tell me it's my fault Hollywood does bad stuff only.

But maybe it's you. Maybe it's your fucking high horse.

As if you'd ever be able to create even ONE of these movies.

All you can do is RANT.

End of rant.
  15. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Is it just me or was that terrible? JK Rowling is going full-on down the George Lucas path, it would seem.

Oh? That makes me expect great things indeed!