• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2018
    I really have more of a non-existing relationship to FANTASTIC BEASTS, just as I do HARRY POTTER (I was in my early twenties when the first film came out, so I was obviously far too old to have any kind of nostalgic relationship to them). I saw the first, which was OK. Not bad, not good. Not on the level of the HARRY POTTERS. Score had some highlights, but was otherwise fairly run-of-the-mill. In short, I'm more or less indifferent to these things, as I am most of the titles on your list.

But I do want to give a shout-out to ROBIN HOOD on your list. Thought that was much better than people gave it credit for. JOHN CARTER was enjoyable too (and it probably contains the only Giacchino score I can tolerate).

It's not worth it to rant about other people's opinions, I think. They are what they are. Register and move on, is what I say. Or possibly engage in constructive debates. But I've always said that the most important thing is to rate a movie or score on its own terms, not on some other, incompatibable standard. No point in assessing a mainstream Hollywood genre flick on the basis of Hungarian art cinema or whatever. You get the drift.

And now I've ranted too! :D
    I am extremely serious.
  1. uh...I didn't rant, Ralph, I wrote about 15 words expressing my disappointment, to which you responded with about 1000. Who's ranting? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2018
    Upstream Color

Is there any movie with a title more beautiful than this one? I can't think of any. The movie deserves a place among the best sci-fi movies of all time, in my opinion. It is a dreamlike masterpiece, narrating both a compelling drama and an, at times, dread-lace, awe-inspiring story of the scientific and the supernatural. Beautiful, beautiful movie.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2018 edited
    I think I've made it pretty clear that my post wasn't about you specifically, but about the whole barrage of negativity on the internet that sums up to one constant, massive rant against everything.
  2. Fair enough, but I don't really consider myself a negative person when it comes to movies, or part of that negative nitpicky culture that has arisen of late. I'm generally very easy to please (albeit harder to blow away, of late). I'm fond of a lot of the films you listed in your previous post, for instance, including the first Fantastic Beasts. Because of that, I'm actually quite surprised how little I ended up liking The Crimes of Grindelwald.

But to try to keep things positive, as you suggested, here are the things I did like:

- JNH's score is great, and in fact a hair better than his previous one IMO
    - Jude Law plays a convincing young-Richard-Harris-as-Dumbledore, and they didn't shy away from the nature of his relationship with Grindelwald too much
    - Loved the Chinese cat-dragon-thing love
    - Jacob is still very likeable even if this movie didn't have much for him to do
    - Johnny Depp was less distracting than I had feared
  3. See? It works. beer

Of course there is stuff I don't like. And I'm also a lot harder to impress these days, just like you. It gets more difficult with every story told, every movie made. Effects can do everything, and many people are tempted to do just that. And new, original stories that grab me are harder and harder to find, because every topic has been done from a million angles by now. Having loads of good TV being thrown at us in recent years doesn't help either.

So, it all comes down to characters these days. I wouldn't have thought Johnny Depp to be this frakkin good as Grindelwald, but he was. Jude Law was so charming it was... wait for it... magical (he'd be a great Obi-Wan Kenobi, too). Queenie is an amazing character who is so far gone but pretty consistent in what she thinks and how she behaves; to watch anything she and poor Jacob are doing in this movie is heart-breaking. The whole Leta story, while not as well executed as it could be, is still hauntingly sad. There's more, lots more. I can't wait to see how the whole Nagini thing is developing and getting where it ends up to be. Credence... geez. And who is the Witch at Grindelwald's side? So much stuff to discover and explore in future movies. Such a great setup for more. No, I really, really dig it. It's so immensely dark, and I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2018
    Star Trek: Discovery

Finally got Netflix and this was my first binge. Except for the rather daft final episode, where the war was far too clean and easy to resolve, I thought it was really good. I don't know if my Facebook feed is representative of the general reaction but I'm pretty sure I read little but negative comments about it, which I struggle to understand. Easily the most consistently strong season of Star Trek on tv since Deep Space Nine in its pomp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

This one had some really stupid "why on earth did that person do that?" moments, but was still a lot of fun. Really look forward to the next one.

An American Tail

Watched this with my daughter, who loved it. I'd never seen it before. Nice film and James Horner's score is just incredible, even if it is highly derivative even by his standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    How can you be the same age as me and seen AN AMERICAN TAIL for the first time just now, James?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Southall wrote

Finally got Netflix and this was my first binge. Except for the rather daft final episode, where the war was far too clean and easy to resolve, I thought it was really good. I don't know if my Facebook feed is representative of the general reaction but I'm pretty sure I read little but negative comments about it, which I struggle to understand. Easily the most consistently strong season of Star Trek on tv since Deep Space Nine in its pomp.

Fascinating. I still haven't got Netfilx. Instead I got the BluRay and saw the first two episodes today. As of now I don't know what to make of it. This will need some getting used to. I'll report back on this when I have finished the season.
    Oh, and: Deep Space Nine is my least favourite Trek show. I felt, the mysticism didn't fit the Trek universe.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Thor wrote
    How can you be the same age as me and seen AN AMERICAN TAIL for the first time just now, James?

I saw that film only once, maybe two years ago. smile
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote

Fascinating. I still haven't got Netfilx. Instead I got the BluRay and saw the first two episodes today. As of now I don't know what to make of it. This will need some getting used to. I'll report back on this when I have finished the season.
    Oh, and: Deep Space Nine is my least favourite Trek show. I felt, the mysticism didn't fit the Trek universe.

smile Volker

Stick with it. The second half of the season rewards sticking with it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

You're all a disgrace to your generation!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

You're all a disgrace to your generation!

I have yet to see it wave
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, but you're just young enough to be excused.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

And I'm not? I'm much younger than you, as I recall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Creed II

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Is it as good as the beautiful first movie? Probably not. But it's great in it's own way. In a sense all the Rocky movies are similar, follow a similar structure and end with similar emotions. But somehow every director finds a way to make them work. Ivan / Viktor Drago in this movie were incredible.
  8. Thor wrote

That's no excuse wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

And I'm not? I'm much younger than you, as I recall.

Ha, ha. Yes, 11 long days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2018
    The Lobster

Liked this one a lot. It is, at times, extremely absurd and disturbing, but it is all to a point, and I loved the skewering of modern dating / societal expectations that if you and someone else share a single common interest, you just HAVE to get together. I think it fits right behind "Adapation" and "Annihilation" in the best movies I've seen so far this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2018
    It's a decent film, but a long cry from his previous films.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2018
    Black Panther

Wasn't this meant to be good? Zzzzzzzzzz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2018
    Indeed. A total mystery. I found both film and score mediocre.....at best.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    A total mystery.

No it isn't; it's because it has black people in it. It got politicized and hyped by mainstream and social media.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True dat.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Venom

Not what I expected at all. I had feared a dreadful grimdark experience that takes itself far too seriously. Instead this was self-aware to the point of goofiness. Not sure it's good, exactly, but it's certainly fun and Tom Hardy is enjoying himself immensely.
  10. The Cannonball Run (1981)

Well that was fun. Typical over the top humor and once that race began it became truly entertaining. Why can't they make this anymore? Harmless charm and fun

7 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2018
    Crappy film, of course, but I have a strong nostalgic connection to it. They've made two Norwegian versions in later years (BØRNING 1 and 2), but they've been rather bad, and not in the 'fun' way as CANNONBALL RUN is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2018
    Paul (2011)

Now I know why nobody talks about this movie anymore.

True Detective (Season One)

Some what like an 8 hour long version of Silence of the Lambs mixed with the somber philosophical silences of No Country For Old Man. I liked it a lot. Great acting duel and a funny chemistry between Harrelson en McConaughey.
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote

smile Volker

Stick with it. The second half of the season rewards sticking with it!

I did. And you're right. Although the seaon's finish lacked in same regards, it was still a strong, engaging story.
    I liked the many references to the original Star Trek. At the same time there are bits and pieces of Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and Dune. This makes it feel like space opera candy store, at the same time it feels a bit eclectic.
    I'm certainly looking forward for the second season!