• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

When I fist heard of this Kenneth Branagh project, it looked like a straight remake of the 1974 Sidney Lumet film. It actually depends less on that film than I feared it would. Still, it doesn't bring much new to the table.
    It is a ground solid film, the cast is fine - Michelle Peiffer stands out in my opinion in the part formally played by Lauren Bacall - and so are the production values.
    I do think that Lumet got a better grip on the claustrophobic situation though. Branagh is possibly even more removed from the original character of Herculet Poirot than the great Peter Ustinov was. Albert Finney remains my favourite Poirot, though I was quite impressed by David Suchet too.
    Patrick Doyle delivers a really good score, but boy did I miss that iconic waltz by Richard Rodney Bennet every time the train is depicted in motion. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2018
    I was not impressed by that film at all (or score, for that matter). Slick, CGI-ish, superficial, hokey.

There is only one Poirot, and that is David Suchet.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I agree on the CGI point. The 1974 film astonishingly looks more realistic than the 2017 one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2018 edited
    The best four movies of 2018 that I saw (I'm sure there were plenty of good movies released this year I didn't see)

1. Annihilation
    2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    3. Mandy
    4. Upgrade

Some movies I also really liked (but were not released this year), were Adaptation, The Social Network, Zodiac, and Blade Runner 2049.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  3. Saw MARRY POPPINS RETURNS yesterday. It was completely wonderful. That’s probably my favorite film and film music of 2018.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2019
    Aidabaida wrote
    The best four movies of 2018 that I saw (I'm sure there were plenty of good movies released this year I didn't see)

1. Annihilation
    2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    3. Mandy
    4. Upgrade

Some movies I also really liked (but were not released this year), were Adaptation, The Social Network, Zodiac, and Blade Runner 2049.

Love ANNIHILATION, MANDY and UPGRADE. They're all on my top 20 list of the year. BALLAD, I was less enthused about, but then I've never really liked the Coens that much.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Watching the opening episode of THE ORVILLE Season Two. Giving it another chance after watching - and disliking - the first episode of Season 1.

I still found it an unfunny and sterile.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. On Deadly Ground

Saw it as a kid, tried some time ago before the Deluxe Edition came out (wanted to review the original album), trying again now. I think "directed by Steven Seagal" sums up just about everything. Still can get potentially into hilarity zone fairly quickly!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Just saw First Man and very much enjoyed Justin Hurwitz's score, it really served the film well - but it's no Apollo 13, nor meant to be, obviously. But in general much more melancholy than triumphant and I personally prefer a little less sadness and little more hope in my Apollo mission scores. smile I didn't realize how much loss Neil Armstrong suffered in his life, can't believe he kept at it! A well deserved first footstep on the moon! Great film!
  7. How to Train your Dragon 3

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Yes it was once again a bit too comical with the side characters doing kiddie jokes (just like in the second), but I could forgive that. Because Toothless' scene with the new dragon was downright hilarious. And I couldn't dream for a better proper ending than what they gave us (those final 10 minutes are magical). And of course it helps when John Powell once again created one of the scores of the year. Fitting and beautiful resolution of what is a great trilogy (even though the first remains my favorite)

8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2019
    I don't think I've seen any of those films. Perhaps the first, come to think of it, but I've forgotten most of it by now. Like the scores, though (esp. 1 and 2, not so much 3).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2019
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    How to Train your Dragon 3

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Yes it was once again a bit too comical with the side characters doing kiddie jokes (just like in the second), but I could forgive that. Because Toothless' scene with the new dragon was downright hilarious. And I couldn't dream for a better proper ending than what they gave us (those final 10 minutes are magical). And of course it helps when John Powell once again created one of the scores of the year. Fitting and beautiful resolution of what is a great trilogy (even though the first remains my favorite)

8 out of 10

Enjoyed the first two, but this was a pretty big let down for me. Barely a story, and the last 10 minutes should have felt so much more deserved. It felt like the whole movie was just rushing to get to the point where they could have that moment. John Powell does good work as ever, but (correct me if I'm wrong) there's barely any new ground trodden in the score.
  8. I just saw The Green Book in the theater and it was AMAZING! About prejudice, friendship, belonging, and overcoming cultural barriers - and the performance by Viggo Mortensen - incredible!
  9. Just saw the first episode of season 2 Westworld and I was bored sleep . Already felt it degrading near the end of season 1 but I pushed through considering a season finale often ignites new storylines. But this hardly interesting. Is it worth continuing, considering there are so much good series out there to check out instead?
  10. Mission to Mars (2000)

Morricones beautiful score alone is reason enough to revisit this film, but aside from that I fail to connect to it. The film depends way too much on 2001 and I can't really care for any of the characters. Also the film doesn't really convince on the visual level. The conclusion is cheesy.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2019
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Just saw the first episode of season 2 Westworld and I was bored sleep . Already felt it degrading near the end of season 1 but I pushed through considering a season finale often ignites new storylines. But this hardly interesting. Is it worth continuing, considering there are so much good series out there to check out instead?

The show is a 'slow burner', for sure (perhaps a bit too slow?), but I do find it ultimately rewarding. But you'll have to be really patient, all the way to the end of season 2.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2019
    Captain Future wrote
    Mission to Mars (2000)

Morricones beautiful score alone is reason enough to revisit this film, but aside from that I fail to connect to it. The film depends way too much on 2001 and I can't really care for any of the characters. Also the film doesn't really convince on the visual level. The conclusion is cheesy.

Volker

Sort of agree about the conclusion, but there's so much else to like about this film. The mood, the long, intense De Palma takes, that I find it an underrated film.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Watching GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY for the first time. An hour in and it's just so boring!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2019
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watching GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY for the first time. An hour in and it's just so boring!

Personally find those movies boring as well. Enjoyed Thor Ragnorok a lot more, very silly fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2019 edited
    I found GUARDIANS more annoying than boring. Never had any interest in seeing the sequel.

Of course, for me -- in general -- superhero films = sleep
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Jules wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watching GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY for the first time. An hour in and it's just so boring!

Personally find those movies boring as well. Enjoyed Thor Ragnorok a lot more, very silly fun.

I found Thor: Ragnarok one of the worst Marvels. Enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy one a lot, found the second overblown and much more childish.
  13. I love them both in a give-your-brain-a-break kind of way. Also Avengers Infinity War, as far as it actually was Guardians III. Aside from that Infinity resembles a super hero revue more than a coherent film.

Volker
  14. Thor wrote
    I found GUARDIANS more annoying than boring. Never had any interest in seeing the sequel.

Of course, for me -- in general -- superhero films = sleep

Good think Guardians is a superhero film in name only then!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2019
    I buy into all that shit. love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2019
    Gotta lay down some facts for y'all:

Guardians of the Galaxy is a great sci-fi movie. Thor: Ragnarok is a fun comedy-fantasy movie. Both of them are some of the best Marvel films made.
  15. And Captain America: Winter Soldier is a very cool conspiracy thriller.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  16. Steven wrote
    Gotta lay down some facts for y'all:

Guardians of the Galaxy is a great sci-fi movie. Thor: Ragnarok is a fun comedy-fantasy movie. Both of them are some of the best Marvel films made.

PawelStroinski wrote

And Captain America: Winter Soldier is a very cool conspiracy thriller.

I approve of these messages.
  17. Green Book

Sat almost the entire time with a big smile on my face while watching Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali argue, talk and laugh with each other. And respect to the director too. Who knew he had it in him. But kudos for him. Tears at the end for your Plains, Trains & Automobiles finale too wink

9 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2019
    That didn't do it for me, I'm afraid. Too 'on-the-nose' Oscar-fodder. Main attraction was seeing Viggo Mortensen taking it all out. But I think Farrelly is a comic genius, so good when the material calls for it.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. Thor wrote
    That didn't do it for me, I'm afraid. Too 'on-the-nose' Oscar-fodder. Main attraction was seeing Viggo Mortensen taking it all out. But I think Farrelly is a comic genius, so good when the material calls for it.

it's true that it's your typical feel good film. It pretty much gives you everything you expect and want. But when it's done right with this kind of passion and honesty, I simply don't care that it's sooooo predictable.