• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2019
    Yeah, there's some satisfaction in that. Early on in the film, I felt confident there would be a scene at some point where [spoiler]the "Doctor" would visit a smokey Afro-American bar, play Chopin for a bewildered audience and then let loose with a Little Richard number[/spoiler]. And lo and behold, that was EXACTLY what happened, LOL!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Alien 3 (1992)

While this film might not reach the level of its predecessors, I do think, that it is vastly underrated. I like the take on religion and the way, Goldenthal's brilliant score reflects on this aspect. Also I like the cast and I think the photography is superb.
    I don't like, that they killed off the girl Hicks, whose survival was the central point of the previous film. It is also true that the plot dosen't bring much new to the table. It basically repeats the story of the original film.
    I believe that Ridley Scott doesn't consider Alien 3 canon. Yet there is this ominous statement by the crippled android Bishop, that they had the xenomorph with them all the way. I am curious, if Scott won't go back to this revelation when bridging his prequel trilogy to the original film.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2019 edited
    Oh yes, it's tremendously underrated -- especially the assembly cut. In fact, I still consider it David Fincher's best film (even if he himself disowns it), and that's saying something given his subsequent works. One of the very best films of the 90s.

Yet there is this ominous statement by the crippled android Bishop, that they hat the xenomorph with them all the way.

This is one of the most-discussed aspects of the film in fan communities -- how exactly did the eggs/facehugger end up on the Sulaco? The internet is ripe with theories!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Ralph Breaks the Internet

Just for how they represent the internet in the film, this is a must see. Such wonderful ideas. Not as good as the original one (that one holds a special place in my heart), but it does come close. And again, there is a lot of heart in it. Besides the wonderful end with all the princesses and the matching music (Mulan was briefly heard love ) was amazing to see / hear. Bravo

8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2019
    Yeah, it's pretty decent. I see I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on MUBI.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2019
    Thor wrote
    In fact, I still consider it David Fincher's best film (even if he himself disowns it), and that's saying something given his subsequent works. One of the very best films of the 90s.

I always get a kick out of your opinions, they're like the very opposite of following the crowd smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2019 edited
    Well, I don't intend it that way. One has the opinions that one has, whether they happen to be majority or minority views.

That being said, ALIEN 3 is fairly highly regarded among critics -- far more so now, anyway, than when it premiered. So the minority view, in this case, would be that I place it ahead of established classics like SEVEN or FIGHT CLUB, for example.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019
    Thor wrote
    Well, I don't intend it that way. One has the opinions that one has, whether they happen to be majority or minority views.

That being said, ALIEN 3 is fairly highly regarded among critics -- far more so now, anyway, than when it premiered. So the minority view, in this case, would be that I place it ahead of established classics like SEVEN or FIGHT CLUB, for example.

No absolutely, wasn't saying you're contrarian. Just that it's obvious that you are forming your own opinions, rather than recycling the usual conversation.

Personally, I'd put FC, Seven and Zodiac ahead of Alien, but then I've never been a huge fan of that series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019
    Jules wrote
    Personally, I'd put FC, Seven and Zodiac ahead of Alien, but then I've never been a huge fan of that series.

Fair enough. I'm a big Fincher fan up to and including PANIC ROOM. After that, from ZODIAC onwards, I'm less thrilled. It's as if he departs from some of his purer, visual storytelling and relies more on clever (and large amounts of) dialogue, heavy information loads, lots of phone calls and that kind of stuff. Not my cup of tea, although I can appreciate their quality. I personally prefer the slicker Fincher. GONE GIRL is probably my favourie of his post-ZODIAC films.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. The Silence (2019)

Pff, what a cheap replica of A Quiet Place. Bored out of my mind, zero suspense and no feeling with the characters at all. Give me the masterful A Quiet Place of this any day
  4. I saw Shazam! in the theater and it was a lot of fun, cheesy in some places (a bit of a Power Rangers movie feel in parts) but the music played it's part perfectly, very old-fashioned (John Williams-esque) superhero score that was a delight to revisit after the more recent darker comic book films - the movie really brings out the kid in you and sometimes that's all you want in a movie. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2019
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Silence (2019)

Pff, what a cheap replica of A Quiet Place. Bored out of my mind, zero suspense and no feeling with the characters at all. Give me the masterful A Quiet Place of this any day

Indeed -- a peculiar mix of A QUIET PLACE and THE BIRDS. I'm amazed they greenlit this project in the first place (presuming it was greenlit after the premiere of A QUIET PLACE). A QUIET PLACE is a near-masterpiece, IMO, and this felt like a rather 'empty' knockoff. It would probably have fared a bit better had it not been for the Krasinski movie, but that has set a new standard now, for this kind of 'concept'. Films like BIRD BOX and THE SILENCE will inevitably be measured up to that.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Silence (2019)

Pff, what a cheap replica of A Quiet Place. Bored out of my mind, zero suspense and no feeling with the characters at all. Give me the masterful A Quiet Place instead of this any day

Indeed -- a peculiar mix of A QUIET PLACE and THE BIRDS. I'm amazed they greenlit this project in the first place (presuming it was greenlit after the premiere of A QUIET PLACE). A QUIET PLACE is a near-masterpiece, IMO, and this felt like a rather 'empty' knockoff. It would probably have fared a bit better had it not been for the Krasinski movie, but that has set a new standard now, for this kind of 'concept'. Films like BIRD BOX and THE SILENCE will inevitably be measured up to that.

true, Bird Box wasn't brilliant either, but at least that film kept the mystery up until the end ([spoiler]and then killed it by not explaining anything at all[/spoiler]).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2019
    Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Silence (2019)

Haven’t seen the film, but to be clear, The Silence is based upon a novel released in 2015, while this adaptation began shooting prior to the release of A Quiet Place. The fact that film came out before it, is mainly a coincidence (which hurts the film, due to the comparisons people make).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2019 edited
    Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, I wasn't sure about the timeline there. Either way, it's certainly to THE SILENCE's disadvantage. Of course, it may pick up unintended viewings if people mistake it for the Scorsese movie (even though it has that extra 'the').
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2019
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I saw Shazam! in the theater and it was a lot of fun, cheesy in some places (a bit of a Power Rangers movie feel in parts) but the music played it's part perfectly, very old-fashioned (John Williams-esque) superhero score that was a delight to revisit after the more recent darker comic book films - the movie really brings out the kid in you and sometimes that's all you want in a movie. smile

Totally agree with you. This was great fun and laugh out loud funny. As a long time comics fan though I'm a 90% Marvel fan over DC, I've bought into these superhero movies but the DC universe has been mostly miss rather than hit but this was their best since Wonder Woman and it's not even a character I ever cared about so I went into this with no expectation and was very pleasantly surprised. A real feel good movie.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Silence (2019)

Haven’t seen the film, but to be clear, The Silence is based upon a novel released in 2015, while this adaptation began shooting prior to the release of A Quiet Place. The fact that film came out before it, is mainly a coincidence (which hurts the film, due to the comparisons people make).

It's indeed easy to make comparisons between The Silence and A Quiet Place, but what hurts the first film is it's lack of suspense and character development. Comparing films is just something that comes after it once you realize other films tackled specific genres better wink
  7. (2018) Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

And we're back to boring Harry Potter movies. I loved the first Fantastic Beasts because it was different from the other wizard films, quirky and had a wonderful chemistry between the 4 characters. Plus there were numerous beasts to laugh and cry over, and it contained a wonderful JNH score. Enter dark and boring number 2 who forgets it goes about fantastic beasts and gives Johnny Depp probably the most boring role he's ever had to play. Gone is also the wonderful chemistry between the 4 leads and what you have it a dark Potter film that lasts 2 hours too long. Besides what on earth was this story about? To find the parents of this kid? Jeezus what a borefest. The only good thing about it was the scenes at Hogwarts.

5 out of 10
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2019
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    (2018) Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

And we're back to boring Harry Potter movies. I loved the first Fantastic Beasts because it was different from the other wizard films, quirky and had a wonderful chemistry between the 4 characters. Plus there were numerous beasts to laugh and cry over, and it contained a wonderful JNH score. Enter dark and boring number 2 who forgets it goes about fantastic beasts and gives Johnny Depp probably the most boring role he's ever had to play. Gone is also the wonderful chemistry between the 4 leads and what you have it a dark Potter film that lasts 2 hours too long. Besides what on earth was this story about? To find the parents of this kid? Jeezus what a borefest. The only good thing about it was the scenes at Hogwarts.

5 out of 10

I think 5 is being generous.
  8. Jules wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    (2018) Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

5 out of 10

I think 5 is being generous.

true rolleyes
  9. Man, I spent money on the BluRay. Oh, lets see ... rolleyes
  10. Captain Future wrote
    Man, I spent money on the BluRay. Oh, lets see ... rolleyes

taste is oh so personal, hope you find something to enjoy in it.
    • CommentAuthorJules
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2019
    Captain Future wrote

Actually, I was maybe a bit harsh. I enjoy the main characters (although some get tiresome in this flick) and the opening scene is really fun, I wish the whole movie had the same gothic, dramatic atmosphere. Hope you enjoy it.
  11. Jules wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Actually, I was maybe a bit harsh. I enjoy the main characters (although some get tiresome in this flick) and the opening scene is really fun, I wish the whole movie had the same gothic, dramatic atmosphere. Hope you enjoy it.

problem is, the main character's chemistry of the first movie is little to be found here, one of the reasons I disliked this film so much. Who cares if a story's darker, as long as the characters keep their spirit alive. Alas that isn't the case here sad
  12. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jules wrote
    Captain Future wrote

problem is, the main character's chemistry of the first movie is little to be found here, one of the reasons I disliked this film so much. Who cares if a story's darker, as long as the characters keep their spirit alive. Alas that isn't the case here sad

I'll watch it next weekend and then come back to you guys. smile
  13. I thought it was genuinely terrible. JK Rowling has quite literally lost the plot.
  14. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I thought it was genuinely terrible. JK Rowling has quite literally lost the plot.

Well, what did they aim at here? Doing a "film noir" style movie in the Potter-verse? Maybe they should have shot the whole thing in black and white? Such experiments mostly go astray in my opinion.
    I liked the cast. The problem is, the potential of these actors went largely unused as the portrayal of the characters remains one-dimensional. For instance each character seems to feature one and the same facial expression throughout the film. Accordingly there is no character development at all.
    The plot is thin. It's a very simple mobster story that doesn't carry for 140 minutes. A duration of about 100 minutes should have given the film a more dynamic pacing.
    The production values are mostly fine, still the CGI seems to lack in some places, [spoiler]as those cat creatures in the French Ministry of Magic look like mock-ups.[/spoiler]
    I love to listen to James Newton Howard's score album. In context the score does shine in some places but strangely it impresses me more away from the film.

All in all, a boring film and a missed opportunity.

Volker
  15. Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I thought it was genuinely terrible. JK Rowling has quite literally lost the plot.

Well, what did they aim at here? Doing a "film noir" style movie in the Potter-verse? Maybe they should have shot the whole thing in black and white? Such experiments mostly go astray in my opinion.
    I liked the cast. The problem is, the potential of these actors went largely unused as the portrayal of the characters remains one-dimensional. For instance each character seems to feature one and the same facial expression throughout the film. Accordingly there is no character development at all.
    The plot is thin. It's a very simple mobster story that doesn't carry for 140 minutes. A duration of about 100 minutes should have given the film a more dynamic pacing.
    The production values are mostly fine, still the CGI seems to lack in some places, [spoiler]as those cat creatures in the French Ministry of Magic look like mock-ups.[/spoiler]
    I love to listen to James Newton Howard's score album. In context the score does shine in some places but strangely it impresses me more away from the film.

All in all, a boring film and a missed opportunity.

Volker

have you seen the first Fantastic Beasts Volker?
    I thought it was a terrific film, both dramatic as entertaining. And at least there the characters meant something
  16. Yes I have, Thomas. I need to rewatch it, because I remember I was very tired and the film didn't make that much of an impression. That was probably me and not the film. smile
  17. Battlestar Galactica: The Living Legend (1978)

Maybe the strongest story of the classic series. Lloyd Bridges gives a fine perfoprmance as Commander Cain and it improves the narrative to confront Lorne Greene with a true match.
    When I first saw the reimagined series in 2004 I focused on the differences. Now that I binge watch the classic series after many a year it strikes me how many details Moore actually carried over from Larson.
    I will skip Galactica 1980, which I never cared for and go straight into Caprica. It will be interesting to see both versions of that ragtag fleet somewhere beyond the heavens back to back.