• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote
    We Were Soldiers 5/10 Score 1/10

Goodness, that bad the score?

The score was decent I think, I actually liked the film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2021
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote

It truly irritated me. It was layered on with treacle.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2021
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote

The score was decent I think, I actually liked the film

Intense battle scenes with some shocking moments that didn't really hit home. None of it had the visceral effect of an Apocalypse Now or Platoon or Good Morning Vietnam. Plus Mel Gibson's Catholicism has a theme running through it that reeks of his own beliefs and rubs me the wrong way, I wouldn't be surprised if he insisted on this. The score is layered on too thickly. I found myself thinking for cripes sake shut the fook up! It was over egged sentimental crap.

Btw, this film was NOT my choice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2021
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Ted Lasso: season 1

Wow. I love soccer and few movies have treated this well. Somehow it doesn't feel the same to recreate the same feeling as other films can of other sports. So I want to thank the makers solely for getting it almost right. The authenticity I mean. However everything's right about this series. It's so funny, it's so witty, and it's so love-able. It's been done before yes, but when it's done right I do not care about it at all. I just open my heart and let it all sink in.

Damn brilliant and utterly memorable, the characters made this a hoot from start to finish.
    Go team Richmond.

Thor and Alan, somehow (you as a fellow soccer fans) might love this too.

Sorry for the late response. I think I checked out TED LASSO when it came out, but it didn't impress me enough to continue. Perhaps I'll give it another shot!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2021
    Timmer wrote
    A list of my recent viewings with film and score ratings according to me.

Dirty Harry 8/10 Score 10/10

A.I. Artificial Intelligence 10/10 Score 10/10

Elysium 8/10 Score 6/10

The Hateful Eight 0/10 I just couldn't take anymore after about 20 minutes. The score is good, 7/10

Red Heat 3/10 Score 2/10

Sorcerer 10/10 Score 8/10

Enemy At The Gates 9/10 Score 5/10

Jaws 10/10 Score 10/10

The Lord of The Rings ( all three ) 10/10 Scores 10/10

Cool Hand Luke 7/10 Score 8/10

The Pianist 10/10 Score ( there isn't much ) 10/10

How are you watching these things in Nepal? If internet is shoddy, streaming can't be much of an option. Are we talking old-school DVD rentals?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2021
    I may have given a wrong impression Thor, the cities and large towns have decent Internet, sometimes it's excellent. I was most likely referring to the high altitude villages where it's usually dismal. I watched the films on Netflix using VPN to cast my choices wider.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2021 edited
    THE MORNING SHOW (S1)

An AppleTV+ series about the politics surrounding a morning show in America, in the wake of one of the anchors’ firing due to sexual harassment allegations.

What I found most interesting about the show is how it shows the culture in which sexual harassment can happen, in which those who let it happen or even encourage it by laughing off allegations (“words matter”) are just as guilty, and the far reaching consequences of it. The tone is sometimes a bit all over the place (being populated by a large number of comedians in its cast it tries to find a balance between drama and comedy at times), but especially the final episodes make this well worth a watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2021 edited
    THE GREEN KNIGHT (David Lowery, 2021)

Loved it, LOVED it. Which came as a surprise to me, as I wasn’t the biggest fan of Lowery’s previous films Ain’t Them Bodies Saints and A Ghost Story. The film impressed through its hauntingly beautiful cinematography and (in film) gorgeous score, drawing you into this mythological tale of a Knight on its quest and the people and creatures that come onto his way along the way. This film is all about its atmosphere, Lowery definitely taking his time to tell his story. If you love mythology and melancholic poeticness, this is for you.

So yeah, this is definitely the kind of score that needs to be heard in picture, as Daniel Hart’s music fits the film like a glove, is a major presence and elevates the whole thing tremendously, especially the chorale combined with that cinematography.
  2. BobdH wrote
    THE MORNING SHOW (S1)
    [...] especially the final episodes make this well worth a watch.

I couldn't agree more. My whole family was glued to the TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2021 edited
    IN THE HEIGHTS (Jon M. Chu, 2021)

This didn’t do much for me. I love musicals, but the salsa/rap songs all started to sound a bit samey after a while. The direction is fine, with a pretty impressive dance sequence on the wall of a New York appartement building, but it started to bug me that the cast was clearly lip syncing (poorly, at times) instead of actually singing. The whole thing is also pretty saccharine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2021 edited
    BobdH wrote

Missed the press screening of this due to a flat tire on my bike, but I hope to see it in some form later. From your description, and others I've spoken to, it very much sounds like a film up my alley. Even if I wasn't that thrilled with the score.

BobdH wrote
    IN THE HEIGHTS (Jon M. Chu, 2021)

Haven't liked anything Chu has done so far. So I was kinda nervous when he was attached to the new WILLOW series awhile back. But also curious, since he seemed to have a close connection to the original film. The proof is always in the pudding, after all. But he was booted off anyway, so the point is moot now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2021
    Thor wrote

Missed the press screening of this due to a flat tire on my bike, but I hope to see it in some form later. From your description, and others I've spoken to, it very much sounds like a film up my alley. Even if I wasn't that thrilled with the score.

I was able to watch it on Amazon Prime, which is with €2,49 a month a pretty okay deal here in the Netherlands. Isn’t it available on streaming yet in your country?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't checked. Could be. But was hoping to see it on the big screen.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    I haven't checked. Could be. But was hoping to see it on the big screen.

You’re right, this is definitely a big screen-film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2021 edited
    THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD (Barry Jenkins)

Really excellent adaptation of Colson Whitehead’s novel. About America’s history of slavery, told through the eyes of Cora, a young slave woman who manages to run away from her plantation but discovers other states of America and their gross intolerance towards POC. Told through 10 episodes, in which many episodes show a different state, this is often harrowing viewing, but an important story to tell nonetheless.

Nicholas Brittell’s score is excellent in capturing the right emotion on a scene by scene basis, oftentimes giving the series an intense soundscape or gorgeous colors with strings or vocals, but fails in establishing any memorable theme. Sure, there are some thematic ideas, but nothing will truly stick.
  3. Jungle Cruise

Man this movie goes on and on and doesn't stop to relax for a moment. The Bad guy is a laughable joke, and don't get me started on the Pirates of the Caribbean 2 subplot, which irritated the hell out of me (not the plot itself but that it's basically Pirates 2 in its look, they don't even hide it). I ... enjoyed it but was frustrated the whole time too. What a mess, people comparing it to the Mummy must seriously have seen another movie. The Mummy was so perfect in its popcorn entertainment, it also knew when to stop and take a breather, or build some suspense.

the chemistry between Blunt and Johnson could have worked if they took a breather too. Again The Mummy with Fraser and Weisz did that perfectly

The score by Howard does sounded nice though, and that Dwayne Johnson theme sounded uber cool. The action though sounds exactly like what the movie required, no chance of taking a breather and a bit all over the place. Will have to check out the score though, wanted to hear this one in the film first

5 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2021 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    What a mess, people comparing it to the Mummy must seriously have seen another movie. The Mummy was so perfect in its popcorn entertainment, it also knew when to stop and take a breather, or build some suspense.

I think the comparison is more in approach than actual same-level quality. As you say, Sommers has a whole other, more sophisticated grasp of the classical B movie adventure tropes, whereas it's all new to the otherwise interesting Collet-Serra (who tends to operate more in the territory of his mentor Luc Besson).

The film is currently on my 29th place (out of 59) of 2021, and got 2 out of 5 stars on MUBI.

As for score, I still need to set aside time to properly make this a decent listening experience playlist, like I did with RAYA. But I have soooooo many others I need to do this with as well, so it will have to get neatly in line.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2021 edited
    THE LIGHTHOUSE (Robert Eggers, 2019)

After the also excellent The Witch, Eggers is quickly becoming one of my favorite new directors. Stunning black/white cinematography and great sound design creates a haunting mood in which this tale enfolds of two lighthouse keepers slowly losing their sanity during a heavy storm. With excellent acting from Dafoe and Pattinson and a lot funnier than you think it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2021 edited
    Alas, I didn't care for that, which surprised my colleagues, because I'm usually very much into mood and places in film, and this nurtures both heavily. But I guess it was something about the scene chewery from Defoe and the general, static, unfulfilled drama of it that bordered on pretentious.

I didn't care for THE VVITCH either, first time I saw it, but after a recent re-viewing, I liked it better. There is an incredible "hole" in film history in regards to Colonial America films, which is an era I am particularly interested in, so that's explains some of my growing appreciation of it.

That being said, I'm curious about his upcoming viking film THE NORTHMAN. I'm expecting and dreading another VALHALLA RISING-style film, but hoping for something better. There still doesn't exist a good/credible viking film or tv series out there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2021 edited
    Yes, from what little I know about you and your tastes, it does surprise me too that you didn’t like it. I have the same interest in New England and folk tales, which is why Eggers strikes me exactly in my sweet spot, and I’m very much looking forward to The Nortman (but I also loved Refn’s Valhalla Rising, so either way I’m good) (also, watched VR after midnight, which I think is the perfect time to watch it).

I get a little bit what you said about The Lighthouse being pretentious, and there were some parts I did not really like (mainly the overly sexual parts, and it came apart a bit when the storm settles), but in the end I see it as Eggers going out on a limb and doing his own thing, being ambitious, and I love that ten times over a director who plays it safe. Also, I really liked that in the end credits it said the film was loosely based on actual seafaring diaries and writings from Herman Melville, just like The VVitch was based on actual diaries. I love that authentic kind of ghost tales.

Didn’t you at the very least just love the look of the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2021
    Yes, the look was great. Lynchian.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I don't know, but this all begins to look the same. I know this has been going on for quite some time, and I actually enjoyed it. But the second I walked out of the cinema it was like, OK but where was the novelty, the emotion, the fresh approach? This should have been right up my alley, I love kung-fu and it looks spectacular. But then you reach the finale and it's another mega fest of unbelievable action and zero emotion. Sad really.

The music was ... OK but again seriously lacking in the emotional part. Where are the goosebumps you had during The Avengers when you heard that theme explode? When the dragon rises from the lake, you expect something grand like that, giving you goosebumps because something's unbelievable is going on. But no ... it was like an everyday experience. Goosebumps Powell threw at us during his Dragon films.

6 out of 10

Free Guy

The second movie I saw right after that, and I feared it was going to be the same. Cool beginning but oh so formulaic. And then suddenly there was heart. Due to the real world characters, a baddie which was at least devious enough you were scared what he was going to do and actual interesting game concept ideas. It kinda felt like The Truman Show but then for games. But saved through the actual guilt coming from the real world characters. And while it was over the top again visually, at least here it didn't feel out of place because it's what games need to do. It actually elevated the emotional experience at the finale. Really enjoyed this one.

8 out of 10
  5. Dune

How on earth is this one getting 8.4 on IMDB? This has zero emotion, who cares if so many people die? I felt like I was watching a 2 and a half hour movie where nothing happened (story wise)? Arrival had the same cold approach, but it had the emotional hook of the 2 characters (and their fascination for the visitors), and the daughter subplot which gave some emotion. Dune has nothing that made me care for the characters, and it feels like the story goes about "mining", who cares?

Score wise, it's not something I'm gonna love either. True it totally makes an impact in the film and it's unbelievable that it sounds louder than the dialogue or the sound effects. But again very alienating (so cold for me too). Again no emotional connection.

I might be harsh but if this movie was getting a 7 minute standing ovation, it must have been because people's butt's were soar after sitting so long on their asses. What a waste of time. For the love of god, Free Guy had much more emotion, because it had a simple story line and it focused on the characters. Making you care that their world was gonna be destroyed. Try that some time Villeneuve jeezus.

5 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2021
    Ouch. I consider it the best film of the year. The score is up there too. Then again, I'm very attracted to the more detached style that Villeneuve often uses.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Ouch. I consider it the best film of the year. The score is up there too. Then again, I'm very attracted to the more detached style that Villeneuve often uses.

I didn't see a single second of it before yesterday, avoided every publicity or trailer or whatever. So I went to this movie hoping to be amazed. But I was bored. For a first part, I was hoping for a LOTR or Avatar effect. Introducing you to a world and setting things in motion for what's to come.

But I couldn't care less if they made 10 films. Again, it was all so flat. I truly wished it was different, but I'm pretty sure the "music" was the reason I didn't get into it too. If you're trying to create an atmosphere, an ambiance, you're leaving out the possibility to bring in emotion. If you want to create a desolate cold world, don't be amazed you're getting cold feelings too from the people that try to get the vibe of it

Avatar may have been very simplistic in its love story, but at least there was a bond you could connect to, whether love or hate it. Here you create these flat emotionless characters, and expect the people to connect to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2021 edited
    I think one has to be attuned to Villeneuve's more cerebral mode of filmmaking. It's often about intellectual layers and lots of meaning communicated through visuals (mise-en-scene). He's not really about creating emotional connections to characters (at least not in the traditional sense) or straightforward narratives, the way I see it. So that will either be engrossing or alienating, depending on your preference. I can like both, for different reasons.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    I think one has to be attuned to Villeneuve's more cerebral mode of filmmaking. It's often about intellectual layers and lots of meaning communicated through visuals (mise-en-scene). He's not really about creating emotional connections to characters (at least not in the traditional sense) or straightforward narratives, the way I see it. So that will either be engrossing or alienating, depending on your preference. I can like both, for different reasons.

I liked Arrival a lot, and that's a very cold film too. But somehow I appreciated 2 people who wanted what's best for the aliens. And there was the simple plot with the daughter.

The second Blade Runner was cold as well, and thinking about it, it also lacked the heart of the Scott version (mostly because of the love situation with Sean Young's character, or Edward James Olmos character). In the end, I wasn't all that bothered about it, but still thought it was waaaaaay too long.

But Dune completely lacks the connection with the audience for me. His visual style is interesting, but for me the heart of a film is if you still care for what's happening on screen. And I was disappointed he didn't tackle any of the characters soul or motivations. The most interesting character in that regard was Momoa, because he had some emotional interaction with the boy.

Ah, my hopes weren't that high for Dune, but for a start of a film (trilogy) or sequels I still thought it was cold, boring and flat. Something LOTR did so easily, or Avatar. By infusing humor or interactions (the scenes with Worthington and Weaver in Avatar, the fellowship and their interactions with each other in LOTR, a simple scene as the mountain when Sean Bean's character is training the hobbits makes all the difference, it's lighthearted and it makes you care for Sean Bean's death at the end).

But I'm glad you liked it Thor smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2021 edited
    Well, I do think there's some real proper character drama here that I was very invovled with, especially the relationship between Paul and his mother. Tentative and suggestive of both the turmoil and connection between then, not overt and in-your-face. I like that approach. I have a particular preference for films that take themselves very seriously; not too fond of inserting comic lightness for the sake of it (although the film did have a couple of those moments too -- like when Bardem spits on the ground as a means to say hello in a respectful manner).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Well, I do think there's some real proper character drama here that I was very invovled with, especially the relationship between Paul and his mother. Tentative and suggestive of both the turmoil and connection between then, not overt and in-your-face. I like that approach. I have a particular preference for films that take themselves very seriously; not too fond of inserting comic lightness for the sake of it (although the film did have a couple of those moments too -- like when Bardem spits on the ground as a means to say hello in a respectful manner).

Ow god, that was Bardem. Didn't even recognize him. Yeah one of the few lighter moments.
    In the end, it's all about taste and what you're getting out of it. There are people who hated LOTR and others who adore it. In the end taste for the genre, taste or dislike for the actor, taste for the visuals. It all comes down how much you're getting out of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2021
    Sure is.
    I am extremely serious.