• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013 edited
    Continued from Part III.

Last weekend I saw The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet, the latest movie by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Has a lot of elements from Amélie (the odd details during the story telling for example), it has fantastic images (like A Very Long Engagement) and it's a bit of a children's film now and then. It's a lovely story and never is a smile on your face far away, however, the ending disappoints because the humor gets a little childish compared to the rest of the story (which has some dark moments too). I'd loved to have been on that train trip through Montana. Spectacular landscapes. 7/10
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013
    About time we had part IV biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013
    I had a whole discussion going hidden in spoilers, but I'll be damned if I'm going to copy the whole damn thing to a new thread! slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013 edited
    Having just looked at the last few posts of part III, I have to say I agree with our esteemed friend. When I've created a follow up thread I try to make it when there's an obvious cut off point.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013
    True. But we should have had that discussion in the Doctor Who thread in the first place!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not at all! Because I had just recently viewed it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I had a whole discussion going hidden in spoilers, but I'll be damned if I'm going to copy the whole damn thing to a new thread! slant

Bregt wrote
    Continued from Part III.

Oh Bregt...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Fringe series 4, just started.
    Yay!
    I've missed this!

...except with all the alternate universe stuff flying about, I keep looking out for blue police boxes in the background...
  1. Martijn wrote
    Fringe series 4, just started.
    Yay!
    I've missed this!

...except with all the alternate universe stuff flying about, I keep looking out for blue police boxes in the background...

recently finished the final season (the fifth), have to say, this series has truly become one of my most favorite shows ever. The love between the characters is what keep this series above par. Big thumps up to the people that created this show, and knew when to end it at the right time

not like other shows who keep going on forever
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great show that stayed excellent to the end. Sad to see it go.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Just watched the clip on Youtube just to see -- I'm no longer interested in the show.

"Family Guy" has killed off a main character. And the unlucky victim is: [spoiler]Brian[/spoiler]
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    Agents of SHIELD

After watching two (and a half) episodes, I can confidently say this is rubbish. Cheesy, cliche-ridden, weak predictable plots, annoying characters, and too-pretty-to be-believable supermodels playing scientists and agents. I was expecting far more from a Whedon show, particularly after he handled The Avengers so well.

The music is pretty good though.
  3. Except... he's always had pretty characters. Hasn't he? And adapting the number one male fantasy medium of the last century into a TV show isn't likely to diminish that trait.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013 edited
    Well, yes. He has. But they have at least looked right for their part, and have generally had stronger writing going for them. The pretty faces in this new show seem far more out of place and picked purely for their appearances rather than their ability to play their respective characters.
  4. He must have poured an inordinate amount of his creative fulfilment into MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING. (If you want to see Clark Gregg spout good dialogue, Shakespeare's your man, not Stan Lee.) smile

I saw CATCHING FIRE yesterday. I didn't think it was quite as interesting in the direction as HUNGER GAMES was, but it opens up the storyworld in good ways, and at the heart of it are performances worth caring about. I'm not going to bother going into whether it's a better series than any others. It's a solid tale on its own, borrowing ideas from many places and presenting them in a new form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    Shakespeare's your man, not Stan Lee.) smile

Oh, I dunno.

Whence comes the dagger?
    TWO families in locked ETERNAL STRIFE.
    Will he SAVE their LOVE? And is SHE an ANGEL or a DEMON?

"T...t...Tibault...NO! He's DEAD! I never meant to...!"
    "RUN, man. It's the fuzz coming!"

"Baby, your beauty is brighter than...the SUN. in the EAST!"
    "Why you gotta be who you ARE, babe? FORGET your name!"

"Your LIPS. Still so WARM.
    Oh, I will DIE with YOU, for our LOVE"

"They were just KIDS. Such as SAD, excelsior tale."
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    I saw CATCHING FIRE yesterday. I didn't think it was quite as interesting in the direction as HUNGER GAMES was, but it opens up the storyworld in good ways, and at the heart of it are performances worth caring about. I'm not going to bother going into whether it's a better series than any others. It's a solid tale on its own, borrowing ideas from many places and presenting them in a new form.

At least Lawrence dispenses with the shaky-cam from Gary Ross' effort. That's the kind of "interesting direction" I can do without, thank you very much; when we're watching the main character walk along a path, we don't need to have the cameraman having a seizure to "add realism". I think it's a slightly stronger adaptation of a slightly weaker story compared to the first, but in the end they come out about equal in my estimation, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    He must have poured an inordinate amount of his creative fulfilment into MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING. (If you want to see Clark Gregg spout good dialogue, Shakespeare's your man, not Stan Lee.) smile

Yes! I've been meaning to watch that. Thanks for the reminder! beer
  6. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Shakespeare's your man, not Stan Lee.) smile

Oh, I dunno.

Whence comes the dagger?
    TWO families in locked ETERNAL STRIFE.
    Will he SAVE their LOVE? And is SHE an ANGEL or a DEMON?

"T...t...Tibault...NO! He's DEAD! I never meant to...!"
    "RUN, man. It's the fuzz coming!"

"Baby, your beauty is brighter than...the SUN. in the EAST!"
    "Why you gotta be who you ARE, babe? FORGET your name!"

"Your LIPS. Still so WARM.
    Oh, I will DIE with YOU, for our LOVE"

"They were just KIDS. Such as SAD, excelsior tale."

Point very well made biggrin
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

At least Lawrence dispenses with the shaky-cam from Gary Ross' effort. That's the kind of "interesting direction" I can do without, thank you very much; when we're watching the main character walk along a path, we don't need to have the cameraman having a seizure to "add realism". I think it's a slightly stronger adaptation of a slightly weaker story compared to the first, but in the end they come out about equal in my estimation, I think.

Horses for courses. Interesting direction for me has to do with some style arcs that are a bit more developed in the first. The second keeps some (the drift to symmetry, extensive handheld), but loses others (use of two shots vs singles, the camera steadiness tracked to katniss' certainty, sound lags, inventive sound design choices, varying music relationship to action)

But it must be said. There is a lot of handheld camera in this new film. It maybe steadier but there's as much as before. They less often accompany it with disorienting sound design, which on its own makes the camera feel steadier. (I'm fine with that -- it always felt like it was tracked to katniss's sense of powerlessness in the first film, and she starts the new one in a very different place, power wise). But I do love the way critics are seeing less because they're told there is less. I guess it's things like that that explain why Hollywood believes so strongly in PR. A bit like a good narration track, people see what they're told to see. (Little statistical experiment -- next time filmmakers trash the last instalment in their franchise at comic con or whatnot -- consider the way that idea comes to dominate any reviews of the film, and always mentioned as a positive. They frame the conversation.) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2013
    DOUBLE INDEMNITY

WOW! A great film early on Saturday morning terrestrial TV shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I started watching Emmerich's Godzilla. Got about an hour in and couldn't take any more. What an absolute stinker.

So I put a proper film on instead, Days of Heaven. So beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    An hour with Emmerich's GODZILLA on your birthday is an hour too much.
  8. Congratulations, James! Good health and all! fireworks

Wrong thread, aber was solls? cheesy

Speaking of "Godzilla": I saw "Pacific Rim" jesterday and I had the weird feeling to see a "Godzilla" sequel. The film really has a distinct Roland-Emmerich-feel to it. The story is painfully generic, but the visuals are cool. There are actors in that movie, too. For whatever reason. Cool score though.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I'm one of the few who loved the Emmerich GODZILLA, far more than I've ever enjoyed any of the old ones (not that I've watched that many).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    I think I'm one of the few who loved the Emmerich GODZILLA, far more than I've ever enjoyed any of the old ones (not that I've watched that many).

I've never watched any of them!
  9. So do I, as you know. Well, the acting is far better than in PR and the film does not take itself so serious. And there is Jean Reno who vastly outshines Ron Perlman. And I draw no comparisons to some Japanese monster flicks of which I am largely ignorant.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Emmerich's Godzilla has Jimmy Hill's chin.
  10. Thor wrote

I loved it too Thor, a fun likeable over the top movie that has humor, entertainment, amazing effects and great music, what's not to love?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm actually a big Emmerich fan too. I love his 'project'.
    I am extremely serious.