• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    I have his harp concerto, which was released alongside Williams' trumpet concerto, if memory serves.

I also seem to remember he composed something for the Olympics in the US.

But film-wise, I don't know anything about him.

Mostly working as an orchestrator, worked with Debney on Lair, today doing lots of RCP orchestrations, including the Dark Knight trilogy and TASM 2.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2014
    TASM 2? There's a TASM 1? uhm
  2. The Amazing Spider-Man wink
  3. Obviously I wasn't talking about Turbo Assembler, now was I? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh I know. I just hate abbreviations.
  4. I hate them too usually, but writing this as a title is a bit of a chore biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dragonheart: A New Beginning - Mark McKenzie

Lovely fantasy score.
  5. Steven wrote
    Oh I know. I just hate abbreviations.

QFT.

LOL.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    I have his harp concerto, which was released alongside Williams' trumpet concerto, if memory serves.

I also seem to remember he composed something for the Olympics in the US.

But film-wise, I don't know anything about him.

The Tone Poems of Kevin Kaska album (Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Winchester Cathedral Chamber Choir, Conducted by Allan Wilson) is spectacular especially the extremely popular THE GOLDEN FALCON and BATTLE OF ATLANTIS.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Dark Knight - Zimmer and Howard

My recent enjoyment of Spider-Man prompted me to listen to various Zimmer scores and I enjoyed several of them more than I recalled. I thought it might apply to this too, since others like it so much; sadly it didn't. I do like "Harvey Two-Face" and to an extent "A Dark Knight" but find the rest so boring. Just can't see what people like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It makes a very good accompaniment to nails scraping a chalkboard. If you turn The Dark Knight to a high enough volume, you can no longer hear the scraping, and that is of utterly priceless value. Zimmer forever!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    The Dark Knight - Zimmer and Howard

My recent enjoyment of Spider-Man prompted me to listen to various Zimmer scores and I enjoyed several of them more than I recalled. I thought it might apply to this too, since others like it so much; sadly it didn't. I do like "Harvey Two-Face" and to an extent "A Dark Knight" but find the rest so boring. Just can't see what people like.

I'm not a fan of Batman Begins and I think The Dark Knight Rises is pants but I LOVE The Dark Knight! Howard's material is just the right amount of organic emotion to contrast the synthetic, angry, evil Joker material Zimmer wrote for this score. And there is just enough previous Batman Begins - with a bit more added weight - to make this easily the most inspired Batman score of the Nolan trilogy. And the album is perfectly produced. It's a great sequel score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2014
    I think I appreciate the concept of the Joker material more than I enjoy listening to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have never really properly sat down and listened to Zimmer's BATMAN scores. I've obviously seen the films, and I think I've sampled all the soundtracks once or twice -- I even have a few compilations with material from them, as well as THE DARK KNIGHT album -- but nothing really grabbed me immediately. However, I've always felt there is SOMETHING there that would reveal itself upon repeated listenings. I've kinda postponed my discovery of them. Strange.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I think I appreciate the concept of the Joker material more than I enjoy listening to it.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

I love the concept and I love listening to it. It's the type of "theme" that that really gets me giddy. I can tell that the composer was really having fun and was truly inspired by the character to write such a striking piece of music. It's the type of film music I love! Truly creative!

-Erik-
  6. NP: Star Trek (2009) - Michael Giacchino

I revisited the film yesterday with my brother in law and we found ourselves very well entertained. However, what stuck out for me more than ever before was the score by Michael Giacchino. I always found it a bit underhelming and I thought the succeeding score to be a huge improvement. Now, yesterday it really was the score that carried me through the film more than anything else. There were two parts of the score that jumped to my attention that I had never before noticed as anything special: "Labor of Love" and a choir only recital of the main theme towards the end of the film that, I believe, is not on the single disc score album.
    So the score has advanced in my internal rating from "nice" to "really good".
    I don't think my criteria for orchestral action scores have lowered that much since 2009. I'd rather say, some things a better viewed from a distance. If you accept that Star Trek scores don't necessarily have to sound like Goldsmith, that James Bond scores don't necessarily need a jazzy idiom, that Batman scores can do wothout the sound of Elfman and even Superman doesn't necessarily need the sound of John Williams, if you put away with your intrinsic expectations, you get a much better idea of a score's intentions and achivements. You can appreciate a score for what it is.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm a big Trek fan and I think it's an excellent score, with arguably the catchiest theme Giacchino has ever written. It's very simple, but it's extremely versatile and perfect for these new 'cool' Star Trek films.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

I have very mixed feelings on the new Trek films though. The second one was a right crock of.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms - Michael Kamen

Technically in the wrong thread, but it sounds like film music so I put it here instead. And it is absolutely divine. Michael Kamen was brilliant.
  7. Did I just hear German lyrics in John Barry's The Last Valley?!!? OK, the movie is set in Germany - not that I ever saw it - yet that found me unprepared for.

It's the 40 Years Silva Collection 8 minutes suite I'm talking about. That CD set sat on my shelf unplayed for years. I'm not sure, I ever played that track before.

Are those lyrics on the web?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    X-Men - Michael Kamen

Haven't listened to this in a decade. It's great! So much better than I remembered.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Did I just hear German lyrics in John Barry's The Last Valley?!!? OK, the movie is set in Germany - not that I ever saw it - yet that found me unprepared for.

It's the 40 Years Silva Collection 8 minutes suite I'm talking about. That CD set sat on my shelf unplayed for years. I'm not sure, I ever played that track before.

Volker

Do you not have THE LAST VALLEY original soundtrack or Silva Screen rerecording Captain?

I don't have the Silva release at hand right now but I think the lyrics are printed in the liner notes?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms - Michael Kamen

Technically in the wrong thread, but it sounds like film music so I put it here instead. And it is absolutely divine. Michael Kamen was brilliant.

It's a lovely album!

As for not putting this NP where it belongs.... rolleyes tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Did I just hear German lyrics in John Barry's The Last Valley?!!? OK, the movie is set in Germany - not that I ever saw it - yet that found me unprepared for.

Volker

Do you not have THE LAST VALLEY original soundtrack or Silva Screen rerecording Captain?

I don't have the Silva release at hand right now but I think the lyrics are printed in the liner notes?

You actually gave them to me a couple of years ago:

Main Title

Die Türme steh'n in Glut
    die kirch ist umgekehret
    Das Rathaus liegt im Graus,
    Die Starken sind zerhaun,
    Die Jungfern sind geschandt,
    und wo wir hin nur schaun
    ist feuer, pest und tod,
    der herz und geist durchfahret.

The Plague Pit

Und wo wir hin nur schaun
    ist feuer, pest und tod.

An Evening Song

Benedictus Dominus Deus Sabbaoth
    Benedicti qui sperant in nomine Domini
    Manus enim Domini fortis et terrebilis
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A favour returned smile beer
  8. Why, thank you! beer

The lines from "Main Title" and "The Palgue Pit" are excerpts from the very famous poem "Tränen des Vaterlands" (Tears of the Fatherland) by Andreas Gryphius. Being a teacher of German literature I should have recognized it. shame

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Why, thank you! beer

The lines from "Main Title" and "The Palgue Pit" are excerpts from the very famous poem "Tränen des Vaterlands" (Tears of the Fatherland) by Andreas Gryphius. Being a teacher of German literature I should have recognized it. shame

Volker

biggrin ( and I learn something new everyday )

Timmer wrote
    Do you not have THE LAST VALLEY original soundtrack or Silva Screen complete score rerecording Captain?

Well??
  9. No, I don't have that score in my collection. As a matter of fact, I don't usually take Barry in great quanitities. I get weary of his style pretty quick. That's why I don't have too many scores of his in my collection. (18, 9 of which are James Bond, 855 film music CDs/CD sets in total). I mainly praise him as a master theme melody maker.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I see.

If you change your mind, you can't ( IMO ) go wrong with The Last Valley, it's up there with the great choral scores.